Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Pit of Horrors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I have stairs in my house

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There’s no intelligent way to decide.: The Give Yourself Goosebumps Megathread

rudecyrus posted:

Pit of Horrors

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Say, where did that trapdoor come from?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Goony goon goon.
wild-card vote, flip a coin

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

There are stairs in my house.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I am not... I don't have stairs.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Okay, now that I'm done laughing: No, I have no stairs.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

The humans are protected. The humans have gone down the stairs slide.

quote:

“Make up your mind!” Jordan urges.

“We’ll slide,” you decide – just as the lizard bursts around the corner and tears down the hall.

Hissing, it leaps at you. Its claws catch on your shirt. The fabric rips as you jump onto the slide. But you’re safe!

You and your friends zoom down the slick surface. You glance down. A huge, cone-shaped heap of sand waits at the bottom. It looks like a giant anthill. It even has a hole at the top. Only this hole is big enough to swallow a car.

Faster you slide – and faster. There’s no way to stop.

You’re heading straight for the hole in the anthill.

And now you see things crawling in and out of the hole. Ugly, antlike things with red eyes and jagged-edged pincers.

Well, now you know why it’s called the Pit of Horrors.

quote:

You scream as you shoot into the Pit of Horrors.

WHAP! You slam into a wall of soft sand. It gets in your hair and your mouth. Then you’re rolling down a steep, sandy slope.

Katy’s sneakered foot whacks you in the head. Off to your left, you hear Jordan yelling.

When you finally hit bottom, you sit up, groaning. The light is dim. But you can see that you’re in an underground tunnel.

Holes dot the sides of the tunnel. Inside the holes are dozens of round, glistening packages the size of beach balls.

“Where are we?” Katy asks.

“What are those things?” Jordan demands. He reaches out and pokes one. The round thing trembles at his touch.

“Gross!” Jordan exclaims. “It’s all squishy!”

You gaze around at the tunnels and the round packages. It all reminds you of something you’ve seen somewhere.

The tunnel shakes.

“Someone’s coming!” Katy cries.

And now you remember where you’ve seen this before.

quote:

“It’s an insect nursery!” you exclaim. “These round things are eggs.”

“No way!” Jordan cries.

Then the tunnel fills with a long, squishy, rounded blob. It must be twelve feet long. It’s gray and eyeless. But it does have a mouth. A big, round mouth lined with tiny, pointed teeth.

Katy gasps. “What is that?”

“It’s a larva – a baby insect,” you whisper. You recently studied ants in science class. And you remember your teacher saying that the baby ants are always hungry.

Uh-oh.

The blind larva squelches along the tunnel toward you. Its huge mouth opens and closes, opens and closes. It’s an eating machine – and once it reaches you, there will be no way to avoid those terrifying, sharp teeth.

Maybe, if you crawl into one of the egg holes, the hideous larva will pass you right by.

Or maybe you should try to outrun the creature.

To run down the tunnel, turn to PAGE 101.

To crawl into one of the egg holes and hide, go to PAGE 64.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Red Level Map

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Stuck with a massive repair bill after digging our way through the VR machine.
Fed to a litter of Abominable Ice Puppies.
Escaped the virtual world, but swapped bodies with Andy in the process.
Accidentally caused a cave-in with a magnifying glass and a compass.
Forced to serve snowballs for an ice-tennis game for a hundred years.
Squashed under the falling corpse of a ten-ton pelican.
Stranded in a virtual igloo with a year's supply of blubber-based foodstuffs.
Crashed a snowmobile into the side of a glacier.
De-rezzed into a cloud of pixels after cheating our way through the Ice Maze.
Had our head bitten off by a lizard-man after attacking him with a sword.

Achievements
A Touch of Frostbite: Escaped the virtual world and gained the power to freeze anything we touch.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I feel like they’ll pull a ‘That was the larva’s hole!’ if we hide, so let’s run!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Darthemed posted:

I feel like they’ll pull a ‘That was the larva’s hole!’ if we hide, so let’s hide!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Crawl into the egg hole. I don't see how this could end badly.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

We'll save the silly ending later. Run!!!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I think we should turn to page 101

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hide in the hole

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
We must run. The Joestar Family secret technique.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

We've already established that giant insect larvae are a thing around here, so hiding in a hole full of suspiciously egglike "packages" probably won't be good for our long-term health. Let's run for it!

quote:

“Run!” you shout.

You and your friends race down the tunnel. You’re much faster than the larva. Escaping should be no problem.

Except for one thing. After a few hundred yards the tunnel bends – and leads almost straight up. There’s no way you could climb it. It’s too steep.

The alien larva continues to crawl toward you.

It looks as if this is the end…

Or is it? The larva doesn’t seem to be slowing down. Is it going to climb the steep slope?

You glance at Katy and Jordan. “What if we jump on its back and hitch a ride?” you whisper.

quote:

When the larva has nearly reached you, you shout, “Now!”

The larva fills the tunnel. You squeeze between it and the walls. Its squishy body feels like a slimy water balloon.

“Climb up!” you urge your friends.

“It’s totally yucky!” Katy complains.

“It’s our only chance,” you point out. Bracing yourself against the tunnel wall, you grab a fold of the larva’s skin. It’s like grabbing a handful of thick jelly.

Your hands and front are covered with slime. But you hang on and pull yourself up the creature’s back. You offer a hand to Katy. She helps Jordan on.

The larva doesn’t seem to notice that it has passengers. It begins to crawl straight up the side tunnel. You and your friends hug the monster’s squishy body to keep from sliding off.

It’s horrible!

Finally, you spot reddish daylight to your left. You and your friends slide off the larva’s back. The light comes from a large hole in the tunnel wall. Through the hole, you see a set of stairs leading downward.

A sign above the stairs says: TO GARDEN OF DOOM.

This takes us to the same place as if we'd told the book we do, in fact, have stairs in our house.

quote:

You, Jordan, and Katy hurry down the stairs. The air begins to feel humid. You can smell wet dirt and plants.

Way above you, you can hear a faint hissing noise. The lizard is still after you!

At last you reach bottom. You find yourselves in an alien greenhouse. Outside, the strong red sun beats down on the tinted glass. Thousands of bizarre plants grow from pots and tubs. The plants are red, yellow, purple, black – every color but green.

You gaze up at a huge cabbage like plant with bright orange leaves. A purple palm tree grows in a pot by your side. Thick purple sap oozes out of its leaves.

“Cool!” Katy exclaims.

“Nice garden,” you agree. “But the lizard is still after us. We’ve got to think of a way to fight it.”

“I’ve got an idea,” Jordan offers.

quote:

“My grandmother used to study lizards,” Jordan explains. “She told me that they can’t be in really hot sun for more than a few minutes. They’ll fry.”

“So all we have to do is lure it outdoors?” you ask.

“Oh, right.” Katy’s voice is sarcastic. “And then we’ll fry too. Remember what happened when you tried to go outside?”

“Oh, yeah.” You gaze around the greenhouse. There must be something here you can use to protect yourself from sunburn.

“No problem,” you tell your friends. “All we have to do is cover ourselves. We can make sun hats from leaves – or try some of that purple palm goo for a sunblock.”

Will either idea work?

The only way to find out is to try one.

Make a sun hat on PAGE 117.

Slather yourself in purple goo on PAGE 9.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Red Level Map

Bad Endings

Achievements
A Touch of Frostbite: Escaped the virtual world and gained the power to freeze anything we touch.
:siren:Bonus Level: Survived an optional detour through the Pit of Horrors.:siren:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Gimme that goo

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I would like to waste precious seconds making a sunhat out of leaves.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Ready, set, Goo!!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Covering ourselves in random goo has never hurt nobody

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Shwoo posted:

I would like to waste precious seconds making a sunhat out of leaves.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Covering ourselves in random goo has never hurt nobody

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Slather ourselves in Purple Peanutbutter.

It's really weird to see "Vegan" used as "an entity of/being from Vega" rather than meaning a strict vegetarian. It really dates this book, huh?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

It means both in this case. The beings from Vega do not consume or use any product made of or by animals. They're even committed to local food, and they've got their own greenhouse!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Octatonic posted:

The beings from Vega do not consume or use any product made of or by animals.

Don't mind me, just saving this comment for later. No particular reason...

Anyway, time to find out whether slathering ourselves with unidentifiable alien plant goo is the obviously stupid option that gets us killed, or the obviously stupid option that winds up actually working!

quote:

“I hear the lizard. It’s coming!” Jordan cries.

“Quick!” you urge your friends. “Plaster the palm goo on yourselves!” You bend down and grab two handfuls of purple goo.

It’s as thick as motor oil. It’s so sticky, you can hardly spread it. It smells like garbage that’s been left out too long.

You don’t care. You spread the disgusting stuff all over your face, arms, and hands. Then you and your friends head for the door – just as the lizard enters the greenhouse.

HISSSSSS! It peers around, searching for you.

“This way, frog-face!” you call. “I dare you to come get us!”

quote:

“Come on, fly-breath!” you cry to the alien. “Let’s go play outside!”

The lizard doesn’t understand English. But it gets your drift. It leaps toward you. You move closer to the exit.

“Bet you can’t eat just one human!” you goad the lizard.

It roars in anger. You move even closer to the exit.

Just as the lizard jumps at you, Jordan throws the door open.

The three of you rush outside. Hot desert air fills your lungs. But your skin is completely protected by the purple goo.

The lizard leaps onto the desert sand – and screams. Ten seconds later, it bursts into flames.

Thirty seconds after that, it’s just a heap of ashes.

A flash of red light fills the desert air. When it dies away, you find yourselves back in the Vegan battle room.

“Congratulations!” your alien captor booms. “You won the Red level!”

If you've already won the Yellow level, go on to the Blue level on PAGE 104.

Otherwise, you'll want to move on to the Yellow level on PAGE 7.

One level down, one to go!

quote:

“We’ll try yellow,” you declare.

You and your friends prepare to begin the Yellow level. Your Vegan pal hands you a tiny bottle. “Take this,” it says. “It may come in handy during the game.”

“Can you give us any hints about the Yellow level?” you ask.

“There’s no more time to talk,” the alien replies. “The Arcturans are close to winning. All I can do is wish you good luck.”

“Thanks a bunch!” you grumble. Some help that is!

The electrode in your ear begins to tingle.

A moment later the alien throws the On switch for the game.

quote:

A bright light flashes somewhere in your brain. You squeeze your eyes shut. Bells bong in your ears.

Then, suddenly – silence. You feel heavy. Very, very heavy. You’re so heavy, you can hardly even breathe.

You force open your eyes. Your eyelids seem to weigh twenty pounds. The air is clogged with musty greenish-yellow mist.

Slowly, slowly, you turn your head.

Beside you, Jordan and Katy slump in the swirling mist. They both seem to have become fatter and shorter.

“Where are we?” Katy asks.

“I don’t know, but the gravity here is really strong,” Jordan replies. His voice sounds low and hoarse.

You touch the ground. It’s spongy and damp. You try to stand up. It takes you a long time against the gravity. Your feet sink deep into the mushy ground.

You peer through the mist.

A big yellow blob drifts slowly – very slowly – toward you.

quote:

“What’s that?” Jordan cries, pointing at the blob.

“It looks like a pile of lemon Jell-O,” Katy announces.

As the creature comes closer, you decide Katy is right. It does resemble a six-foot-tall pile of Jell-O. If Jell-O could have one large, unblinking eye the size of a dinner plate.

SHHHH, SHHHH. The bloblike thing breathes in and out, in and out.

“I wonder what it wants,” you murmur.

Straining with effort, you move closer to the creature.

After all, how dangerous could a shimmering blob of Jell-O be?

quote:

The blob oozes along the spongy ground.

Soon it’s flowing over your sneaker. It slimes up your foot and begins to ooze toward your ankle. Its breathing grows louder.

“Yuck!” you cry. You try to kick it away.

But the blob won’t let go of your foot.

Your heart pounds. “Get it off me!” you cry.

“Take off your shoe!” Katy orders.

Quickly, you kick your sneaker off. The blob goes with it. You can only stare in horror as your shoe disappears into the pulsing yellow mass.

A moment later the creature makes a burping noise.

Then it oozes out in three directions at once.

It’s going after you, Jordan, and Katy!

“Let’s get out of here,” Katy urges. “Run, you guys!”

“Are you nuts?” Jordan retorts. “I’m bigger than you two. I’m so heavy, I can hardly move!”

“Wait!” you call. “The Vegan gave us a bottle. Maybe there’s something in it that we can use to fight the blob.”

You dig the bottle out of your pocket and hold it up.

Hey! It’s empty!

If you run from the blob, turn to PAGE 24.

Battle it with the bottle on PAGE 22.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Red Level Map
:siren:Empty Bottle:siren:

Bad Endings

Achievements
Bonus Level: Survived an optional detour through the Pit of Horrors.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Let's see what the bottle does.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Don't bottle up our emotions.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Run! Ignore everything!

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Some weird blond elf guy told me to save any empty bottles in case I find a fairy, so RUN!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

chitoryu12 posted:

Run! Ignore everything!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

Run! Ignore everything!

That's how I solve most of my emotional problems in real life, so hopefully the same principle applies to blob monsters on alien planets.

quote:

“Let’s get out of here!” you cry.

“You got it!” Katy agrees. “Run!”

You turn and try to run from the blob. But you can only move in slow motion. Your legs feel as heavy as an elephant’s legs. Every step feels as if you’re climbing a steep mountain with a hundred-pound pack. The most you can manage is a slow walk.

“Faster!” Katy urges.

“I’m moving as fast as I can!” Jordan snaps.

You glance back. The blob is slow too.

But it’s gaining on you. SHHH, SHHHH, it breathes.

“Keep going!” you yell. “We have to outrun it!”

“I can’t!” Jordan whines. He’s moving even more slowly. And then – he trips and falls. The blob flows over his legs.

“Help!” Jordan wails. “It’s got me!”

quote:

You and Katy slowly rush over to help Jordan. You grab his hands and pull as hard as you can.

The blob won’t let go. It moves up Jordan’s legs. It begins to cover his body with yellow slime.

Jordan struggles in slow motion. But the blob oozes all over him. Soon it covers everything but his hands and head.

Jordan suddenly stops screaming. His eyes open wide. A creepy smile spreads across his face.

That smile gives you chills.

“Stop fighting it,” Jordan commands in a strange, bubbly voice. “Just hold still. It will be all over in a moment. Then you’ll be one of us too.”

Oh, no! Jordan is one of them! He’s turned into a blob!

Before your horrified eyes, Jordan’s teeth fall out. His hair turns to yellow liquid and drizzles off his scalp. His eyes melt into yellow puddles. His head dissolves.

You suddenly feel something slimy on your hand. The one that was holding on to Jordan. You glance down.

Yikes! A yellow, hand-shaped blob is creeping up your arm!

quote:

In terror, you shake the blob off your body. “Let’s get out of here!” you shout to Katy.

“Help me!” Katy screams.

Oh, no. The blob is covering her arms! It spreads to her chest. You grab her legs and try to pull her away.

But it’s too late. In seconds, she’s a blob too. Your two best friends have turned into mounds of lemon Jell-O.

And they’re both oozing toward you!

You turn to run.

But you can’t run on this heavy planet.

You move as fast as you can. The blobs ooze after you. Shaking in terror, you put one heavy leg after another. You’ve got to get away!

But where can you go? You’re all alone on an alien planet. Earth is thousands of light-years away.

There’s no hope. No hope at all.

You think about giving up and becoming a blob.

No way! You’re not ready for that yet.

Especially when you see a light moving toward you.

quote:

You run heavily toward the light. Now you see that it comes from a small flying saucer. You don’t even stop to think about how weird that is. You just wave your arms frantically.

“Help!” you shout. “S.O.S.!”

The saucer dips down. A long, furry purple arm reaches out and grabs your wrists – just as the first blob reaches your feet.

The blob quickly oozes up to your ankles – then your legs. Its gooey surface clings revoltingly to your skin. The blob tugs, sucking you down toward the heavy planet.

But the purple hand has a strong grip on your wrists. It pulls up – hard.

Your arms feel as if they’re being yanked out of their sockets. Your legs feel as if they’re being stretched like taffy.

The blob pulls down.

The hand pulls up.

You’re being pulled in half!

quote:

The purple arm pulls even harder.

The blob suddenly lets go. You bounce up as if you’ve been shot from a rubber band. The hand hauls you into the saucer.

VROOOOOM! The saucer takes off for space.

“Thanks!” you exclaim, drawing a deep breath. For the first time, you get a good look at your rescuer. The creature looks human – except for its purple fur and three-foot-long arms.

“What – I mean, who are you?” you ask, trying not to sound impolite.

“I am from Aldebaran,” the purple being replies.

“Are you part of the game between the Vegans and the Arcturans?”

“We have nothing to do with that,” the Aldebaranian answers.

“Cool!” you exclaim. Just what you wanted to hear. “Um – could you return me to Earth, by any chance?”

“No problem,” the purple being says. “I’m heading that way now. It will take a while to get there, though.”

“That’s okay,” you reply. You don’t have to be home until dinnertime.

“Good.” The creature smiles. “Make yourself comfortable. You’ll be home in only three thousand of your years!”

THE END

...You know, I was just thinking it's been way too long since we had a good old-fashioned nightmare fuel death scene. Granted, it only happened to our friends instead of us, but that's arguably even worse depending how you look at it.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Red Level Map
Empty Bottle

Bad Endings
:siren:Stuck on a three thousand-year flight to Earth after watching our friends gruesomely dissolve into blob monsters.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Escape through the hatch.
  • Take the stairs to the Garden of Doom.
  • Hide in one of the egg holes.
  • Make a sun hat out of leaves.
  • Use the bottle against the blob.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 9, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
:stare:

Use the bottle against the blob.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

PumpkinBat posted:

Some weird blond elf guy told me to save any empty bottles in case I find a fairy, so RUN!
I saw that same elf guy beat a man to death with a bottle. FIGHT!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The blob cannot be allowed to live.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Running isn't going to work, so let's fight it head-on! Just... uh... maybe try not to let it touch us.

quote:

You stare at the little bottle in dismay. The Vegan said it might help you.

But how do you fight a giant blob with an empty bottle?

The blob oozes toward you. SHHH, SHHH, goes its breathing.

“Maybe it’s some sort of secret weapon,” you say hopefully. You prepare to throw the bottle at the blob.

“Wait!” Katy calls. “Maybe you’re supposed to put the blob in the bottle.”

Maybe she’s right. It doesn’t look possible, but –

“Yeah, right,” Jordan sneers. “That’s like trying to put a car inside a shoe box! Throw the bottle.”

Hmm. Jordan has a point too.

To try to put the blob in the bottle, turn to PAGE 31.

Throw the bottle at the blob on PAGE 45.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Red Level Map
Empty Bottle

Bad Endings
Stuck on a three thousand-year flight to Earth after watching our friends gruesomely dissolve into blob monsters.

Achievements

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm expecting a secret invisible kill gas, so let's throw the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Throw that bitch