Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Jedit posted:

Well, you wouldn't - it's only in the Ironclad pool.

(Edited for clarity.)

poo poo, really? I have played this game for maybe 1000 hours and have never noticed it was ironclad only, jesus. Gotta be one of the games of the decade for me - top 3 with Bloodborne & Undertale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Runic Dome works best on Defect where your goal is just making a bunch of big frost orbs regardless of what enemies are doing

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Open the chests, coward

Gets a Shame curse from chest: "Well, at least I have The Boot now!"

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Runic Dome would be a reasonable relic instead of awful game design if it still let you see the options that were being chosen among. As is it's the one boss relic I refuse to pick. It's also reasonably likely to give you random outcomes against Heart and Time Eater, but maybe that outcome is still enough improvement over your other choices.

I don't like Ectoplasm much either, removes too many interesting choices but at least it's a tradeoff purely in gameplay and not also interface. (Also anybody saying they don't take it after Act I - the only other option is floor 0, it's not possible to get after Act II).

People saying Mark of Pain is generally bad aren't wrong, but it's not the same as adding two Injury/Bell - the wounds are never in the opening hand. Much like Writhe is generally worse, this isn't quite as rough.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Impermanent posted:

wow Mark build for Watcher is stupid powerful. I wound up with 5 Pressure Points in my deck and that plus a little bit of scry was enough to completely run the game.

Agreed. There's just something about an arithmetic ramp of damage, ain't there ? :). Also Mark shits all over so many monster gimmicks. Birbs ? Don't care. poo poo all over strength ? Don't care. Perma-weakness ? Don't care. Fill my deck with bullshit ? Annoying, but still ramping up, care less. Limit my actions/turn ? Don't care, you're still getting crushed. Also you can run perma-calm with all those sweet "does a cool thing if you end your turn in calm" powers.
Obviously the flipside is that many relics turn into blanks ; and the critters that care about your using skills are Bad. But overall, it's a pretty clownshoes experience.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kobal2 posted:

Agreed. There's just something about an arithmetic ramp of damage, ain't there ? :). Also Mark shits all over so many monster gimmicks. Birbs ? Don't care. poo poo all over strength ? Don't care. Perma-weakness ? Don't care. Fill my deck with bullshit ? Annoying, but still ramping up, care less. Limit my actions/turn ? Don't care, you're still getting crushed. Also you can run perma-calm with all those sweet "does a cool thing if you end your turn in calm" powers.
Obviously the flipside is that many relics turn into blanks ; and the critters that care about your using skills are Bad. But overall, it's a pretty clownshoes experience.

You mean Nob Goblin? Your random attacks plus three PPs will kill him. I definitely did A18 with Water Pressure and I might have done A20 as well. Certainly it's possible.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

rchandra posted:

Runic Dome would be a reasonable relic instead of awful game design if it still let you see the options that were being chosen among. As is it's the one boss relic I refuse to pick. It's also reasonably likely to give you random outcomes against Heart and Time Eater, but maybe that outcome is still enough improvement over your other choices.

Eh, for most purposes it doesn't matter that much if the Heart is using the big hit or lots of little hits. There are a few defenses that care about the distinction but mostly you're just putting up shittons of block.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Traded out my starting relic as watcher with Neow and got... Snecko eye.

It was a very very short run, dead by the hand of the first elite.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Sockser posted:

Traded out my starting relic as watcher with Neow and got... Snecko eye.

It was a very very short run, dead by the hand of the first elite.

If you can survive thats a pretty darn powerful start but Snecko eye with starting deck is... not ideal...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Gets a Shame curse from chest: "Well, at least I have The Boot now!"

The chest sensed your cowardice and Shamed you for it. :colbert:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it was right to do so

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Did a watcher run last night, traded in my starter due to the other options all being rear end, and got forced into taking Runic Dome for the first time.

Turns out, I've played the game enough at this point that I'd learned all the enemy attack patterns well enough through Act 1 at least, but still just kinda died in act 2 from having an otherwise weak deck and general attrition.

Less embarrassing than my Ironclad run where I wanted to play with the new Fire Breathing, so I took on some status cards, Mark of Pain, etc. However, for some reason I thought Runic Pyramid discarded status / curses specifically and turns out it doesn't! :v: Still managed to make it to Donu and Deca somehow but they put me out of my misery, as I deserved.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 28, 2020

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Snecko on the watcher is not great

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
When I completed my one relic achievement run I traded for the Runic Dome at the start, as the Ironclad. Can't say I would take it otherwise but with a Barricade/Body Slam deck at A0 it was fine.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Is the third act going to be a significant increase in difficulty, even playing on the lowest level (i.e., no Acension anything)? I was powering through the first two acts with the first character (Ironclad?) and what seemed like a decent set of relics, and just ran into a random enemy -- not an elite -- with 999 HP, which seems crazy compared to everything else I've fought so far.

Should I anticipate needing a different strategy for Act 3, even on the lowest difficulty?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

McCoy Pauley posted:

Is the third act going to be a significant increase in difficulty, even playing on the lowest level (i.e., no Acension anything)? I was powering through the first two acts with the first character (Ironclad?) and what seemed like a decent set of relics, and just ran into a random enemy -- not an elite -- with 999 HP, which seems crazy compared to everything else I've fought so far.

Should I anticipate needing a different strategy for Act 3, even on the lowest difficulty?

In general I would say act 2 is harder than act 3. The 999 HP guy loses strength for every point of damage you do to him and automatically dies after five or six turns. Most of the time if my deck is strong enough to survive act 2, most of the act 3 fights are relatively easy.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If you're new, a good rule of thumb is not to take new cards in A3 unless you really, really, know what they're gonna do in your deck.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
You should make sure to check the buff bar on everything new you run into. There's usually some extra mechanics in every fight, especially act 3.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I have successfully constructed a deck that hits grand finale once on the first turn and an average of 1.5 times each subsequent turn. Now that I'm in Act 3, there is a 100% chance of hitting falling, or worse something that forcefully shoves cards into my deck.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Runic Dome was a good relic before the new ascensions and act 3 enemies really wrecked it.

The writhing mass and the ectomancer really makes runic dome feel bad.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Cursed key in first act is so painful. Never take a relic that is going to give you curses, especially when you start out with 4-5 of them that need removed.

Yes, strikes are curses and you'll never change my miinnnndddd

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Cursed key in first act is so painful. Never take a relic that is going to give you curses, especially when you start out with 4-5 of them that need removed.

Strike Dummy will do that for you. Strike+ becomes equal to a Brilliance, and Brilliance is a very serviceable attack even if you don't generate Mantra.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

It's going to give you 0 curses if you don't open chests :colbert:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gyshall posted:

Snecko on the watcher is not great

It depends. Some Watcher cards are very bad with snecko (weave, flurry, deus ex, things that add cost 0s to your deck) and some are very good (sands of time, establishment, meditate, omniscience, wish, ragnarok, deva form, all the meaty 2-cost attacks). Sometimes you wind up getting a bunch of the latter group in act 1 and can roll the game with snecko.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Finally got a Defect Act 3 win and have now beat Act 3 with the first three classes! Ended up fighting Deca & Domu (or however you spell their names) and by the second half I wasn't dropping below 200+ block a turn, so there was nothing they could do. Frost orbs get kinda nutty when you have 6+ focus and 2 upgraded Loops active so every turn starts with you getting 48 block. Add in calipers and I think they only hit me on the second turn before I had everything rolling.

But this brings me to a question. Now that I'm starting Ascensions, how do you get to the point where you're building a deck that doesn't feel like it relies on a specific relic or set of cards to be successful? For the deck above, it was good but what made it great and able to take me to the end was the Calipers. Not losing all of my block every turn was a lifesaver multiple times. Without calipers, I think I *might* have survived the Act 3 boss but I don't think it was guaranteed. I wish it was easy to get Switch screenshots on here so I could get some feedback on my decks.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
There are a lot of answers to that question, but one of them is that quantity has a quality all its own. You will notice that the Ascension 1 "penalty" is a higher number of elites in the game. If you fight more elites, you'll get more relics. And if you get more relics, that's both more chances to get the one or two relics that really work well with your deck, and also a giant pile of small bonuses, individually unimpressive but collectively a big boost to your strength.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

nrook posted:

There are a lot of answers to that question, but one of them is that quantity has a quality all its own. You will notice that the Ascension 1 "penalty" is a higher number of elites in the game. If you fight more elites, you'll get more relics. And if you get more relics, that's both more chances to get the one or two relics that really work well with your deck, and also a giant pile of small bonuses, individually unimpressive but collectively a big boost to your strength.

On the flip side, diversify your deck and pick up good cards even if they aren't specifically what you need for your Grand Vision of what your deck is supposed to be. Having a wider range of cards in your deck increases the odds that you'll find cards/relics with beneficial interactions, and gives you answers to a wider range of situations.

Also, try to pace yourself with shops. When I started playing I would beeline shops and take out cards and rarely have money for anything else, which meant I rarely got to pick any relics and also sometimes wound up removing too many strikes too quickly without having replacement attacks in place.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's weird, I find all my Ironclad decks since the patch are blending together. I always end up taking Fire Breathing and Evolve and not giving a poo poo about status cards, because it ends up being a positive to have them in hand. This has been all the way up to Ascension 11.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Is it generally better to take the safe route of events/shops to maintain your chances of not getting damaged or should you always be battling if you're confident? Early game you want to build your deck, sure, but later on I tend to play it safe.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Particularly on higher ascensions, any winning run is going to do something very strong. For defect that can be Frost Orbs + Calipers. But it can also be Echo Form + Apparition, or Snecko Eye + Meteor Strike, or something equally powerful. The trick to winning on high Ascensions is recognizing that strong thing when you see it, not trying to force a particular strong thing when it's not being offered, and having a smart baseline strategy for your runs, so that you can survive long enough and be strong enough to get offered that strong thing.

Songbearer posted:

Is it generally better to take the safe route of events/shops to maintain your chances of not getting damaged or should you always be battling if you're confident? Early game you want to build your deck, sure, but later on I tend to play it safe.

Your health is a resource that you spend to get stronger over the course of each act. If you can get stronger without spending that resource at all, why wouldn't you? If you're confident you can stomp on the act three fights, then go ahead and stomp on them. Even if your deck is good, you might get offered a potion that can bail you out if you draw badly.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 29, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

That sounds just like my A17 deck that just died horribly to act 3 hallway fights :rip:

The trouble with evolve in my experience is that it's just so slow. Almost always it's only going to have an effect the next time you shuffle your deck. It's definitely nice to have though.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Songbearer posted:

it depends on basically everything
events/shops is a lovely safe route because you are squandering a lot of chances to get powerful. its not really safer, its usually weaker, especially on higher ascensions but even on low ascension. each floor is a resource in the game and if you waste them you'll end up paying for it by the end of your run. the most surefire way to win in STS is to make sure you are making decisions that get you closer to a win and flipping coins on events or hiding out in shops kinda blows. when I have a deck that feels like I have to hide from hallway fights i know the heart is going to be a problem.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nrook posted:

That sounds just like my A17 deck that just died horribly to act 3 hallway fights :rip:

The trouble with evolve in my experience is that it's just so slow. Almost always it's only going to have an effect the next time you shuffle your deck. It's definitely nice to have though.

What would you say is faster? I'm having trouble figuring out the good builds for higher ascensions on Ironclad. High strength seems like you get beat down too much unless you get lucky and pull at least one Reaper.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I'm stuck on A17, so let me know if you find out, heh. My last few wins:
A16: Demon form / Reaper
A15: Perfected Strike
A14: Strength / Reaper
A13: Some sort of bad limit break deck I'm not sure how it won
A12: Demon form / reaper

So in conclusion I don't know! Good luck!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zand posted:

it depends on basically everything
events/shops is a lovely safe route because you are squandering a lot of chances to get powerful. its not really safer, its usually weaker, especially on higher ascensions but even on low ascension. each floor is a resource in the game and if you waste them you'll end up paying for it by the end of your run. the most surefire way to win in STS is to make sure you are making decisions that get you closer to a win and flipping coins on events or hiding out in shops kinda blows

Also if you route for a lot of ? rooms there is a significant chance you'll hit a shop, so if your route includes shops you risk hitting too many shops and if your route doesn't then you risk missing out on shops altogether.

(That said, Act 2 hallway fights are a beast and it's worth taking extra events and shops as long as you still hit a decent number of elites & campfires.)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

But this brings me to a question. Now that I'm starting Ascensions, how do you get to the point where you're building a deck that doesn't feel like it relies on a specific relic or set of cards to be successful? For the deck above, it was good but what made it great and able to take me to the end was the Calipers. Not losing all of my block every turn was a lifesaver multiple times. Without calipers, I think I *might* have survived the Act 3 boss but I don't think it was guaranteed. I wish it was easy to get Switch screenshots on here so I could get some feedback on my decks.

Why are you writing off your own success? In order to make calipers work, you need to be generating a ton of frost orbs, and once you've achieved that, there's tons of stuff that could have carried you to the end game. Card draw, energy, focus, and orb slots are all things that could have capitalized on your deck's strengths in the same way that calipers did.

For an actual answer to your question though, there's a concept in magic: the gathering drafts called "staying open". It means focusing on cards that are good in a vacuum rather than cards that require additional synergy pieces to be good. That's kind of where you should start in StS, and over time the cards/relics you get can lead you towards a certain direction.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
As you climb through ascension you’ll need to have “what do I need now? what will I need later - damage? aoe? block ? draw?” in your mind and choose accordingly, while there are some cards that are almost always great, sometimes your deck will need a worse overall card.

With time you’ll get to know the cards/events/enemies and you’ll naturally improve your choices.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

nrook posted:

I just beat A16 effortlessly with an Evolve deck. It did also have a full exhaust engine apart from the Branch, but Evolve was a key part of the engine as I was using Wild Strikes to refuel Second Winds until I could play Corruption and power them into a huge Body Slam.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lmao, I just had an Ironclad run with Sneckos eye and like 5 copies of Demon form and 2 upgraded limit breaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is Snecko eye still GOAT status on Silent?