Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Played a game against a goalie who is notoriously hot headed. He got talked to by the refs after he covered a puck, stood up to elbow a guy standing two feet outside the crease after a nothing play.

Later, I'm playing a puck behind their net. The goalie tried for a dead puck by swatting it up onto the back of net but I kept it live by knocking it back onto the ice. Refs see it and yell it's a loose puck. I poke the puck as it's near the post trying to pop it loose in front of the net. The moment I see the goalie go to glove it, I stop because nobody needs broken fingers and I don't want to get a blocker to my throat. Also it's loving beer league and I don't care that much.

Whistle finally blows for a covered puck and they lose their poo poo saying I was chopping the goalie and it was bullshit it wasn't blown dead. The refs are right there telling them it wasn't dead and I never touched the goalie. Their guy says some choice words to me. I tell him there was never a whistle, the ref said the puck was loose, and I stopped playing it the second the goalie went to cover. He comes up to me and spears me in the stomach between my pants and my chest protector. Nothing crazy hard but it didn't feel great. The ref literally had a front row seat to the whole thing. He immediately calls the penalty, guy loses his poo poo and has no reason why.

When you don't know that spearing is a penalty ... You should probably inform yourself of the rules of hockey, and not lose your poo poo when you get called for it. I was kind of hoping he got the major and the game misconduct just to piss him off even more. I think they just got him on unsportsmanlike or a slash though. God they were livid.

They also have a guy who is notoriously bad, always the worst guy on the ice. He gets hit every game because he gets caught with his head down skating into people's lanes with zero control. Same thing happened tonight and he got laid out hard by a puck carrier with no penalty. He gets up and tries to slash the puck carrier but missed.

Other than that I had a few great chances for assists and a few shots but couldn't finish. My broken ring finger knuckle didn't feel too bad until someone punched it in the handshake line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

dude was totally in the mood for your joke

you were being a dickhead imo and knew what you were doing but it doesn’t deserve a stick chop so that’s cool i guess

Yeah I'd definitely be playing you a lot harder at the very least after a comment like that.

Probably not a stick chop or a body check though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah I mean no one needs to lose money or have their poo poo broke but that’s a pretty disingenuous framing of the situation

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If someone said that to me I'd probably be ecstatic I made the score sheet.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Walked into Gunzo's (local hockey chain) with a Christmas gift card, planning on only getting new shoulderpads. Ended up getting shoulderpads, 2 jerseys, socks, skate guards, mesh shorts, laces, and tape. I feel like a kid in a candy store whenever I go and it's not just to get my skates sharpened.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
God I miss Gunzos. Seattle doesn't have any real hockey shops, just rink pro shops and play it again sports.

I did get my skates sharpened by the sparx machine again. gently caress its wonderful. Perfectly centered edges and the last time I got them done with it, they seemed to have lasted significantly longer. No more having one edge slightly sharper than the other.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah the Sparx rules. Been getting mine sharpened on one exclusively for a year or two now. Had a buddy who did the kickstarter and got it pretty cheap.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I bought a Sparx with some Christmas money and definitely awesome. Was playing around with hollows, between 1/2 and 5/8. Not sure which one I like but hell maybe I'll get a different hollow to play around with.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I do not advise anybody to eat a bunch of paqui ghost pepper chips and then a steak for dinner before you go play hockey. You could light my burps on fire and I was dragging rear end tonight.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Those chips are pretty weak and also did you enter the code on the bag for a chance to win one of the One Chip Challenge death chips

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

calandryll posted:

I bought a Sparx with some Christmas money and definitely awesome. Was playing around with hollows, between 1/2 and 5/8. Not sure which one I like but hell maybe I'll get a different hollow to play around with.

Have you tried their FIRE hollows? I've recently watched their vid on Flat Bottom sharpens, and now I understand why it worked for some and not others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctu0S4R6dMM

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

johncho posted:

Have you tried their FIRE hollows? I've recently watched their vid on Flat Bottom sharpens, and now I understand why it worked for some and not others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctu0S4R6dMM

Not yet. Right before I bought mine they were offering a discount on the three most popular rings, the two I bought plus 1/2 FIRE. Unfortunately, they got rid of that so I bought the basic hollows. My next purchase from them will probably be a FIRE ring. I used to skate on the z-channel but the guy in NH service wasn't as good as it used to be.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I kind of got checked while trying to get a puck from the boards. It felt kind of weird and unnecessary. I asked the guys on the bench and they agreed.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
I am good at hockey.

https://i.imgur.com/RbTcZqr.mp4

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Don't dox me like that.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
There's a lil Bradf0rd in all of us

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The secret is to never skate hard enough that you might fall over.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

what level is this? for comparison

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

doctor 7 posted:

Good enough for Colorado!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

doctor 7 posted:

It's usually pretty chill with some recently learned to play guys up to learned as an adult level players, whatever that is.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Got a hat trick in the first period and Gretzky ruled, and my team blew a 5-2 lead. Was 8 on 8 bench wise and they had the better 8 for the Long haul. Sniped a bar down 2 on 1 though which was nice!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

what

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Is that a short rink or a weird camera?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're all giants, you get bigger as you go up in elevation but they still use a standard NHL sized rink.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Duke Chin posted:

There's a lot of Bradf0rd in most of us

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is that a 69 jersey? If so, a great honor. Looks like 64 though :(

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Every time that loops I laugh harder.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

it really does get better each time

that's our boy

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

You can just tell the dude in the white jersey is putting everything he can into getting back onside.

And then he gets gifted the puck for his effort.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

V for Vegans posted:

Is that a short rink or a weird camera?

Small rink, weird camera and

Doctor Butts posted:

You can just tell the dude in the white jersey is putting everything he can into getting back onside.

And then he gets gifted the puck for his effort.

...There's no offsides in this for-fun league.

Fortunately only the try-hards ever really cherry pick or me cause I'm too lazy/tired to skate back

And there's a retreat-to-centerline rule after a frozen puck or goal scored. Hell, I think that's the only rule outside of "don't be a dick"

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Anyone have any good videos/guides for how to learn crossovers? The vids I've found (and in class) they just do the inside edge stepping drill and then suddenly, crossovers. I can do the stepping over part but I don't get any power with whichever foot that's crossing under, it just glides forward or I fall.

Also, there's a bunch of fairly good players in my beginner class (the coach lets the intermediate guys join our class too if they pay for it). It's pretty intimidating when half of us can't even really skate backwards and these giant dudes are skating circles around us during drills.

taco show fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 27, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Getting comfortable gliding on your outside edges is more important, and naturally evolves into crossovers.

Like, glide in a straight line on one foot then kinda lean to the outside so you start to make a curve. Develop some comfort with that and lean more and more edge into it until the curve becomes a semi circle. This might take a day or weeks or months.. just depends on you. Once you're doing full 180's on the outside edge, you'll probably find your other foot will want to cross over so you can go the other way. Boom now you're doing crossovers. Now do that around a faceoff circle chaining the crossovers together.

As for the skill levels on the ice, it will always be that way. If they're smart they'll give you enough space to work because they're probably scared you can't stop and are going plow into them with your head down. Just do what you can to keep aware of who's around you and it shouldn't be an issue.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

taco show posted:

Also, there's a bunch of fairly good players in my beginner class (the coach lets the intermediate guys join our class too if they pay for it). It's pretty intimidating when half of us can't even really skate backwards and these giant dudes are skating circles around us during drills.

Reminds me of my very first class 3 years ago where I accidentally signed up for the intermediate class instead of the beginner one. Nobody cares that you're bad at skating and most people are happy to give out advice to beginners.

As for crossover advice, it's honestly a matter of just continually practicing until your body gets used to it, which will take a long time. A figure skater gave me the advice "don't think about crossing over your feet, think about crossing over your thighs," which helped me get the motion better. If your rink has open skates, take advantage of them, especially if they're adults-only. Then practice your crossovers on literally every turn you make.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
one of the refs in our game last night was a no poo poo tripod skater, and was also grossly overweight. like his ankles bent inwards and you could hear his edges complaining about it. we ended up losing to our Main Rival on a late goal that only went in because he missed a very blatant penalty in front of our net...because he was still on the other end of the ice.

i dont expect much from beer league refs, but holy hell if you are literally unable to keep up with the speed of the game

a couple of our guys are also refs, and were chirping this guy so mercilessly that i kind of started to feel bad for him. like, he was clearly only there to fill in for someone and i assume knew perfectly well he shouldn't be reffing an A league game. still though, what the gently caress

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Our ref last week lost his partner that night, went home with the flu. Dude did like four games in a row solo and worked his rear end off, when he was done with our game he was easily the sweatiest dude on the ice. Somehow didn't miss any calls either.

We tried to give him a beer after the last game but he refused.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

taco show posted:

Anyone have any good videos/guides for how to learn crossovers? The vids I've found (and in class) they just do the inside edge stepping drill and then suddenly, crossovers. I can do the stepping over part but I don't get any power with whichever foot that's crossing under, it just glides forward or I fall.

Without seeing you skate I can guess that you may not be leaning in enough. If you're skating around a circle think about leaning your whole body towards the inside. If you can ride a bike think about how you would take a turn on that. Crossovers are hard and it'll take lot of practice, just get on the ice as much as possible.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I like iTrain Hockey's videos, if only because they're mic'ed well enough to hear his skates and it sounds super satisfying. Here's a pretty good short one with general tips for crossovers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KVaV6VZfoo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The advice in those videos isn't bad, but a big problem with most youtube tutorials is they make too many assumptions.. that you're already good on your edges, have decent hockey conditioning, you're already doing crossovers to some extent, or are worried getting more speed. That's hard to make use of for people that may not be able to glide on one edge yet because all the building blocks are missing.

So very specific baby steps that incrementally work towards the end goal are wayyyy more valuable, and those are pretty scarce on youtube.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

xzzy posted:

The advice in those videos isn't bad, but a big problem with most youtube tutorials is they make too many assumptions.. that you're already good on your edges, have decent hockey conditioning, you're already doing crossovers to some extent, or are worried getting more speed. That's hard to make use of for people that may not be able to glide on one edge yet because all the building blocks are missing.

So very specific baby steps that incrementally work towards the end goal are wayyyy more valuable, and those are pretty scarce on youtube.

Not sure what a video is going to do for you at that point anyway.

I don’t have access to structured coaching so picking out a couple things that make sense from higher level videos is about the most I can do. Like from that video I know I primarily use my legs and don’t lunge out enough. But also just seeing how he places his feet is something I think worth focusing on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Get to the gym, work on flexibility and strength. Core, glutes, legs. Deadlifts, kettlebell swings, squats, lunges, all of it.

Use sliders and practice your stride length.

Back when I gave a poo poo that stuff helped much more that YouTube video or private on ice lessons.