Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

politically charged because it includes Northern Cyprus, Kosovo, Palestine, South Ossetia, and Abkhazia, but omits Artsakh. A shameful map.

Oh and it appears to be making a statement on the Golan Heights.

As for the rail map: The bit where the red line from Seville to Malaga curves around like it's being knitted is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1222223636779741184

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
the gently caress is that poo poo

Where did the idea of giving two tumors along ... no, wait, slightly inland from the Egyptian border, where presently roughly 0 people live, to Palestine?

A loving tunnel between the West Bank and Gaza??

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And not one of these is shaped like Madagascar.

tsk tsk

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The fact that it just says the state of Israel and doesn't mention Palestine

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The fact that it just says the state of Israel and doesn't mention Palestine

*Future State of Palestine

Gotta read the fine text, man.

It also shows the Golan as part of Israel. Oh and the border with Lebanon is dotted line lol, whatever that implies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tunnel to be constructed by Musk & co., I presume.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
this is the type of middle east 'peace plan' that is going to trigger a new intifada just from being proposed

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Count Roland posted:

*Future State of Palestine

Gotta read the fine text, man.

It also shows the Golan as part of Israel. Oh and the border with Lebanon is dotted line lol, whatever that implies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_recognition_of_the_Golan_Heights_as_part_of_Israel

It might have gotten lost in the noise of this garbage fire of an administration but Trump proclaimed the Golan Heights part of Israel last year.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Hamas and the PA have now announced that they will be working together to reject Trump's plan for Israel/Palestine lmao

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
The tunnel idea alone... ok let's unpack this.

Why have a tunnel? Because there are two separate areas. And, looking at the map, every bit of Palestine is connected by a thin line! Except the West Bank and Gaza. So we need to connect those!

But why? Two reasons:
* A country only exists if all the pieces are connected; however, the existence of France, the UK, and, notably, the United States, disprove this theory. So, the other reason must be...
* That they don't want Palestinians traveling from one part of their country to the other to ever ever ever have to interact with Israeli clay.

So why not build a road? Well, as has been pointed out, Israelis don't want to interact with Palestinians. Maybe they don't trust them, or maybe they want to be able to easily blockade the one point of linkage, which is a lot easier to do with a tunnel with two portals instead of a road where one could *gasp* wander outside the lines.

So to do this, they want to build a tunnel that can handle transit between these two regions.

[Aside: When looking this up, I found that Ehud Barak proposed such a tunnel back in 2009. So even this idiocy isn't new.]

At their closest, the West Bank and Gaza Strip are 20 miles apart, straight-line. So, already, we're talking one of the longer tunnels in existence. I'm not sure if they're thinking rail (seems unlikely to me) or road/pedestrian. The longest road tunnel in the world, Laerdal in Norway, is 15 miles long and cost $150 million; the second longest, Yamate in Tokyo, is 10 miles long and cost half a billion. So we aren't talking something cheap.

Then there's the usage. Laerdal handles 1000 cars a day. Yamate, being an urban expressway, handles considerably more, 40,000 cars a day. But we're talking about linking the Gaza Strip - population 2 million - with the West Bank - population 3 million. Not just linking them, but being the SOLE link.

Imagine if the only thing linking Manhattan with New Jersey was the Holland Tunnel.

Now imagine someone bombing it, or closing it. Whoops! Oh well I guess commerce and poo poo didn't need to happen this year.

That map angers me greatly, but the haphazardly done tunnel really pisses me off.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
And I just realized the massive ventilation needs for a 20 mile long tunnel in a DESERT. It's going to need a heavy, reliable source of power. Gaza Strip is known for reliably having power, right? ugh.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Trail of Sweat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nothing has ever gone wrong with transport routes through crisis areas.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
its a meaningless map designed to provoke a new intifada in order to increase support for likud and authoritarian measures in israel for purposes of 'security'

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/naftibaby/status/1222228622829850624?s=19

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Not to mention the Middle East is an earthquake zone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I think that's the distance to the middle of the west bank, like Jerusalem-ish. Eyeballing a map, my estimate agrees with Golbez -- it's "only" 20 miles as shown on Trump's map. Still ridiculously long for a tunnel with no physical reason to exist (only political ones) but it wouldn't be the world's longest by a long shot.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

It also takes the Netanyahu annexation plan where the West Bank no longer gets to have the West Bank

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Well drat, being able to tunnel under another country's territory and claim it as your own is a game changer.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

HookShot posted:

Well drat, being able to tunnel under another country's territory and claim it as your own is a game changer.

Now we're infringing on the sovereignty of the mole people. When will it end?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's time to reunite East and West Pakistan.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

HookShot posted:

?אני שותה את המילקשייק שלך

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Israelis don't even want to conquer all of Palestine because that would mean more Arabs in their country and they're doing their level best to disenfranchise the ones they have already.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/banalplay/status/1222302559253204992

Can't argue with results

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

I think that's the distance to the middle of the west bank, like Jerusalem-ish. Eyeballing a map, my estimate agrees with Golbez -- it's "only" 20 miles as shown on Trump's map. Still ridiculously long for a tunnel with no physical reason to exist (only political ones) but it wouldn't be the world's longest by a long shot.

Would it be longer than Trump's tunnel from the white house to his Florida golf courts?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My one complaint is the texas is too small.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The "white working class" should be the "middle east".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

Would it be longer than Trump's tunnel from the white house to his Florida golf courts?

It’s certainly not longer than the Alameda–Weehawken burrito tunnel.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Apparently, the Palestinian counter-proposal has been leaked:

https://i.imgur.com/hoUD33U.png

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Israelis don't even want to conquer all of Palestine because that would mean more Arabs in their country and they're doing their level best to disenfranchise the ones they have already.

If only there was some kind of last solution where they could put the Palestinians in camps somewhere where they wouldn't bother the Israelis. Like Poland.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Golbez posted:

Now imagine someone bombing it, or closing it. Whoops! Oh well I guess commerce and poo poo didn't need to happen this year.

Spoiler alert, but I'm a time-traveler, so: the plan is to march all the Palestinians into the tunnel and then bomb the entrances.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Man, I wish Colorado real estate were free :smith:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

Tunnel to be constructed by Musk & co., I presume.

That's one way to kill Palestinians

Sampatrick posted:

its a meaningless map designed to provoke a new intifada in order to increase support for likud and authoritarian measures in israel for purposes of 'security'

This is obvious to anyone who heard poo poo for sense popping off about the palestinians

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 30, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TinTower posted:

That's half as many Shakers that exist in the entire world!

Can't believe the religious movement that practiced absolute celibacy died out, who could have predicted it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The religion literally dying out because you're not passing on your beliefs to your offspring would make the shakers beliefs kinda memetic right?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
One of the things that really killed off the Shakers were government run orphanages and social welfare programs. Shakers were pretty famous for taking in orphans, which, incidentally, gave them a ready pool of potential converts. Shaker communities were also known to provide charity and work to the community, which also led to conversions, and unlike a lot of Christian denominations at the time, it was largely egalitarian in terms of gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Wasn’t there some Russian orthodox sect in the 1600-1800s that was even more extreme, to the extent that the truly good people in the community would literally castrate themselves? Anyone know what I’m talking about? I can’t find it in a quick phone-typing google search.