Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm trying to book a flight for someone in Australia who is coming to America to visit. I have some United miles and a bunch of Chase points.

Origin: ADL
Destination: SGF or MCI (I can drive to Kansas City if need be)
Duration of trip with dates: July 2 to August 28th but flexible
Flexibility: +/- 2 days of stated duration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm trying to book a flight for someone in Australia who is coming to America to visit. I have some United miles and a bunch of Chase points.

Origin: ADL
Destination: SGF or MCI (I can drive to Kansas City if need be)
Duration of trip with dates: July 2 to August 28th but flexible
Flexibility: +/- 2 days of stated duration.

I don't see any awards availability in July, return on August 26th is available though.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

JaySB posted:

I don't see any awards availability in July, return on August 26th is available though.

Hmm, what about Sydney to SGF or KC? It's cheap to fly from ADL to SYD as a separate flight.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

Hmm, what about Sydney to SGF or KC? It's cheap to fly from ADL to SYD as a separate flight.

I can't find any awards availability departing. Returns are no problem. There may be some last minute luck but as of right now I can't find anything.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Saladman posted:

Do you actually need anything when you do TSA precheck / global entry? [...] I finally got final approval and my card in the mail last week, almost exactly 7 months after starting the application. My wife is still waiting for her "conditional approval".

In response to this post from 3.5 months ago, good god, my wife finally got her conditional approval to schedule a global entry interview. So that's nearly 10 months: her application was started September 27, 2018 and conditionally approved on July 15, 2019.

I'm not sure if there was something wrong or not, as our last status update was mid-December 2018, and in early June I sent an email to CBP asking wtf was up, and they said "nothing, just wait." I have no idea if the app was like, lost in a drawer until then and emailing got them to act, or if it was really just processing that entire time.

We'd have to have some amazing experiences with global entry and TSApre√ to make it worthwhile to do this again in 5 years. I'm a US citizen, she is not, and neither of us live in the US, so maybe it takes longer, but still... jeez.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Saladman posted:

In response to this post from 3.5 months ago, good god, my wife finally got her conditional approval to schedule a global entry interview. So that's nearly 10 months: her application was started September 27, 2018 and conditionally approved on July 15, 2019.

I'm not sure if there was something wrong or not, as our last status update was mid-December 2018, and in early June I sent an email to CBP asking wtf was up, and they said "nothing, just wait." I have no idea if the app was like, lost in a drawer until then and emailing got them to act, or if it was really just processing that entire time.

We'd have to have some amazing experiences with global entry and TSApre√ to make it worthwhile to do this again in 5 years. I'm a US citizen, she is not, and neither of us live in the US, so maybe it takes longer, but still... jeez.

When I signed up for Global Entry something like a year or two ago, it took a few weeks to get an appointment set up, and I got my approval a few weeks after the interview. Your experience is definitely atypical compared to someone currently living in the US *shrugs*

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I signed up for global entry months ago and haven't heard anything back, am I supposed to do something or do I just need to wait? I'm a US citizen living in the US, a coworker told me you just need to spam the interview scheduling site and find an open time but how do I know they've done whatever they need to do with my application to allow me to interview?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Saladman posted:

I'm a US citizen, she is not, and neither of us live in the US.

My guess is this was your issue. It's generally more difficult to do the background check on non-citizens because they're reliant on other countries to provide information, a process in which the requested country doesn't usually have an obligated SLA. Whereas for US citizens, the US government has all sorts of fun databases to check on you with.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mackieman posted:

My guess is this was your issue. It's generally more difficult to do the background check on non-citizens because they're reliant on other countries to provide information, a process in which the requested country doesn't usually have an obligated SLA. Whereas for US citizens, the US government has all sorts of fun databases to check on you with.

Yeah, most likely.

Also it's such a weird grab-bag of countries that can do Global Entry:

Argentina
Colombia
Germany
India
Mexico
Panama
Singapore
South Korea
Switzerland
Taiwan
United Kingdom

(+ Canada through NEXUS)

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 21, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Colombia's on there probably because they share a border with Venezuela and also they have their own oil producing fields, plus there's a massive us military installation there

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I haven't flown international in almost 15 years and have barely flown at all since, so I'm essentially starting from zero knowledge-wise.

My MBA class has an international trip to Seoul and then Phnom Penh. They're providing airfare between the two, but we're on our own for airfare to Seoul by Feb 21st (Friday), and then home from Phnom Penh after Feb 29th (or March 3rd if we take the optional extra tour). There's actually two groups of students of about 15 each (one class is from Huntsville, mine is from Tuscaloosa), and we're all kind of on our own. Plenty of us would like to pool our purchasing power here. Realistically, most of them would probably want to leave from Atlanta or Birmingham, although if there's a significant price savings we could probably leave from any airport in the Southeast from Nashville down to New Orleans.

So essentially, it's an unknown number of people, leaving sometime within a 3-day range, from one of a dozen airports, to one city, and back from another one at one of two possible dates.

I've started searching for a fare for myself, but I'd also like to start to work on looking for a cheaper group plan. Should I just flat-out hire a travel agent?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Generally you can get a favorable rate when you're traveling with a group of 20 or more, sometimes 11 or more. Put it on your classmates Dad's Platinum amex card and his dad might be able to write everyone a check for 4% back of the total value. Probably hire a travel agent though

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I'm currently watching roundtrip flights from ORD to NRT for Dec 13 - Jan 6. It's been hovering around $1200-1500 lately, and is now around $1150. For anyone familiar with this route, is it likely to drop below $1k before winter, or is this about the best I can expect for these dates/airports?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is it terrible to buy tickets on a site like Orbitz or Kayak? For our planned flight, I'm seeing an average of $1100 for tickets on those sites, but $1900 direct with JAL. And we need 6 tickets, so it's a big difference. Also, I'm not even on the flight, I'm buying tickets for my in-laws.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Use incognito/private window to browse flights to prevent prices from mysteriously, algorithmically rising.
Pay more to save your parents a nasty layover .

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yep, it's the same itinerary, but at least $4000 difference from booking direct.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

Yep, it's the same itinerary, but at least $4000 difference from booking direct.

I bet that when you actually go through with Orbitz or whatever, the price will suddenly jump up to close to the same as buying direct.

But if not then definitely 100% buy with Orbitz/Kayak instead of directly. Direct buying is kind of nice if you want to change the itinerary later or whatever, but even then it'll still cost you an arm and a leg and a lot of hassle regardless of how you bought the ticket. Also you can usually change the itinerary even if you buy through Orbitz or whatever. Like last year I bought an error fare ticket with TAAG through Orbitz, and like 4 months later realized it was 1 day off from when I wanted to travel, and it was only $50 to change the ticket to the date I wanted, I just had to directly go through TAAG instead of the consolidator to do so.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
You can also try to see if Google Flights will price it the same as the travel agency and give you a link to book direct that way.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Saladman posted:

I bet that when you actually go through with Orbitz or whatever, the price will suddenly jump up to close to the same as buying direct.

But if not then definitely 100% buy with Orbitz/Kayak instead of directly. Direct buying is kind of nice if you want to change the itinerary later or whatever, but even then it'll still cost you an arm and a leg and a lot of hassle regardless of how you bought the ticket. Also you can usually change the itinerary even if you buy through Orbitz or whatever. Like last year I bought an error fare ticket with TAAG through Orbitz, and like 4 months later realized it was 1 day off from when I wanted to travel, and it was only $50 to change the ticket to the date I wanted, I just had to directly go through TAAG instead of the consolidator to do so.

Thanks. I got to the checkout page and it was still the same price on Kayak.

What you said here makes a lot of sense, it's not like we would book fully refundable anyway. (Or maybe that explains the difference and I didn't notice that was the only available fare class.)

Mackieman posted:

You can also try to see if Google Flights will price it the same as the travel agency and give you a link to book direct that way.

Yeah, I had started with google flights.

I ended up booking through Amex, I felt slightly better about going through their customer service than whatever company Kayak was going to send me to. Amex came in at about $100 more than Kayak and Orbitz were showing.

I think that exchange rates might be part of the reason for the difference Booking direct they charge in RMB, but the travel agencies charge in USD. (The flight originates from Beijing.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Wife and I are traveling to Hawaii in early October 2020.

I’m used to just booking a flight to whatever the main / best cost airport is, and then renting a car and driving from there.

Very quick research shows that’s not necessarily the best strategy when visiting an island chain.

Part of it is a friends wedding, so I know for sure we will be on Kauai for a few days.

I’m thinking we might need to step back and figure out if we have specific islands we want to go to. That said, flight costs will factor into where / when to go either way.

Anyone have experience booking to Hawaii specifically ? I’ll take suggestions on islands to check out as well. We’ll be traveling from St Louis, MO area to Hawaii and back, early October 2020.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Fly into Honolulu. Hopper flights to other islands.
(October is not peak season. Take your time.)

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
This is slightly off-topic, but I know that seasonally there are direct flights between certain airports but I don't know when exactly they are in service. Is there some straight forward way to find out when?

I can use something like google flight search and repeatedly change the dates to see when a direct flight appears/disappears but that's obviously a pain in the rear end.

I've tried looking for information on the airline website and airport websites but I can't find anything.

<3

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

other people posted:

This is slightly off-topic, but I know that seasonally there are direct flights between certain airports but I don't know when exactly they are in service. Is there some straight forward way to find out when?

I can use something like google flight search and repeatedly change the dates to see when a direct flight appears/disappears but that's obviously a pain in the rear end.

I've tried looking for information on the airline website and airport websites but I can't find anything.

<3

https://www.routesonline.com/ is your friend.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Thank you for the tip but I cannot figure out how to use this site. If I go to an airline's profile there is an option to see routes but that requires an account which from the account creation page does not seem to be a trivial thing to get. What am I missing?

At least in this instance, I'm interested in Iberia flights between VLC and GRX if that helps.

edit: Actually, the wikipedia page for GRX says flights to VLC begin March 29th 2020. It doesn't list a citation for that tidbit but it seems to answer my question. Wish those flights began a bit sooner but oh well.

other people fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 9, 2020

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

other people posted:

Thank you for the tip but I cannot figure out how to use this site. If I go to an airline's profile there is an option to see routes but that requires an account which from the account creation page does not seem to be a trivial thing to get. What am I missing?

At least in this instance, I'm interested in Iberia flights between VLC and GRX if that helps.

edit: Actually, the wikipedia page for GRX says flights to VLC begin March 29th 2020. It doesn't list a citation for that tidbit but it seems to answer my question. Wish those flights began a bit sooner but oh well.

I find FlightsFrom works very easily:

https://www.flightsfrom.com/GRX

Although oddly it doesn't list that Valencia flight even though I see it on Iberia's website. Normally you will see something like this, for Zurich's seasonal Cork flight, where it tells you "the next scheduled flight is 2020-03-29"

https://www.flightsfrom.com/ZRH#/ORK

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Saladman posted:

I find FlightsFrom works very easily:

https://www.flightsfrom.com/GRX

Although oddly it doesn't list that Valencia flight even though I see it on Iberia's website. Normally you will see something like this, for Zurich's seasonal Cork flight, where it tells you "the next scheduled flight is 2020-03-29"

https://www.flightsfrom.com/ZRH#/ORK

Ah, this is much easier. Thank you.

It does list some flights for VLC that do not run until later in the year, but not the CDX one. Oh well.

Another flight conundrum: Getting from VLC to Brno (BRQ).

Ryanair flys from VLC to STN and then from STN to BRQ. However, no flight search tool ever offers this as an option. I think this is because the layover is only 65 minutes?

Is there some reason it would be stupid for me to buy the two tickets separately?

Also, going through STN is not an option for the return. Really the only option then is to take a train or bus to Vienna and then fly through Madrid back to VLC (or take the AVE). What a pain in the rear end to get such a short distance.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

other people posted:

Ah, this is much easier. Thank you.

It does list some flights for VLC that do not run until later in the year, but not the CDX one. Oh well.

Another flight conundrum: Getting from VLC to Brno (BRQ).

Ryanair flys from VLC to STN and then from STN to BRQ. However, no flight search tool ever offers this as an option. I think this is because the layover is only 65 minutes?

Is there some reason it would be stupid for me to buy the two tickets separately?

Also, going through STN is not an option for the return. Really the only option then is to take a train or bus to Vienna and then fly through Madrid back to VLC (or take the AVE). What a pain in the rear end to get such a short distance.

Buying two tickets separately going through Stanstead on a 65 minute layover seems risky. I've only ever been through Gatwick and Heathrow, but British security is poo poo, IMO even worse than American security. If you miss that connection you'd have to buy a totally new ticket for full price on the day of. This is one of the few cases it might be worth going to a travel agency to see if they can tie it together on one itinerary, or see if this is the kind of thing that travel insurance would cover.

Yeah sometimes all the travel options are garbage, and Granada is famously badly connected to anything else in Spain. Isn't that new train station opening soon (or already) at least?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Okay so instead of flying to Granada we can fly from VLC to Sevilla SVQ. Then drive or train over to Granada when we like.

The weird thing is flights.google.com lists the price for a single ticket as €39 but when I say two adults and a kid it jumps to €321 for the exact same flight. I'm not the best at math but uh... what's the goofy airline reason for this?

Like surely here I am better off buying three separate tickets. Pay the extra €5 later to pick seats (only two need to be together, really).

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

other people posted:

Okay so instead of flying to Granada we can fly from VLC to Sevilla SVQ. Then drive or train over to Granada when we like.

The weird thing is flights.google.com lists the price for a single ticket as €39 but when I say two adults and a kid it jumps to €321 for the exact same flight. I'm not the best at math but uh... what's the goofy airline reason for this?

It could be there is one ticket on super sale for €31, and then the next two tickets are regular price. For Megabus, for instance, the first ticket purchased on the bus is always $1, and then after that it jumps to the normal price. It's worth checking it out on the carrier's website to make sure though. I checked for a few random dates just now and the pricing always made sense, so I'd guess it's something specific about a certain class of ticket only having one (or two) seats left on the day you're looking.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
There's a Lufthansa flight I'm interested in from NYC (JFK) to Amsterdam (AMS) with a 65 minute layover in Frankfurt (FRA). How bad of an idea is that, awful or just a little bad?

There's another flight at a less convenient time with a 100 minute layover, but I'd have to take extra time off work for it, so I'd prefer to take the former if it's not just courting disaster.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Just do it, they'll either hold the plane for you or put you on a later one and assuming you're flying either KLM or Lufthansa there are probably 100 Frankfurt -> Amsterdam flights a day.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I have a Global Entry question. I'm coming up on 10 years from my DUI conviction and was waiting for this time so I could apply since I heard applicants should wait 10 years. Anyone have any issues with a past conviction? I've had no other issues in 10 years, but I'm wondering if I should pursue an expungement before applying?

Might be more of a legal question.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Global is really thorough and there's no telling what they will or won't disqualify you for. That being said, a DUI is a fairly minor offense in the grand scheme of things and probably not a disqualifying offense. Can't hurt to get it expunged either way...

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Based on my viewership of the franchised show Border Patrol, I'd seek out expungement first

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Well the Trump admin just decided NY state residents can't apply for global entry so I guess I'm not doing that this year.

Still going to get it expunged.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Looking for trips from the upper Midwest to London for the week before Labor Day. A few questions:

1) Is there any point in checking airports other than O'Hare? We're equal distance from MSP, ORD, STL, and MCI. Much more willing to drive to those than fly from Iowa where we'd just end up connecting through O'Hare anyway.

2) Is there any point in getting tickets this far out? Conversely: How long can I expect to wait before ticket prices become more volatile? 3 months out? 6?

3) Right now I'm finding everything is $800, except for Norwegian Air giving one for $500. Is Norwegian Air good?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
I'm taking a cruise out of Long Beach at the end of June and I'll be flying out of San Antonio. Which airport should I fly into? Should I book now or wait until it gets closer? Also, which day is cheaper, Friday or Saturday?

Most likely we'll be flying Southwest.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Well the Trump admin just decided NY state residents can't apply for global entry so I guess I'm not doing that this year.

Still going to get it expunged.

That's the right call, and despite the exclusion of NY residents being a magnificent example of horseshit, any felony conviction usually disqualifies you from GE. Be honest when you fill out the form (assuming the inevitable lawsuit restores your access to GE) and hope for the best.

Golbez posted:

Looking for trips from the upper Midwest to London for the week before Labor Day. A few questions:

1) Is there any point in checking airports other than O'Hare? We're equal distance from MSP, ORD, STL, and MCI. Much more willing to drive to those than fly from Iowa where we'd just end up connecting through O'Hare anyway.

2) Is there any point in getting tickets this far out? Conversely: How long can I expect to wait before ticket prices become more volatile? 3 months out? 6?

3) Right now I'm finding everything is $800, except for Norwegian Air giving one for $500. Is Norwegian Air good?

Check em all simultaneously via Google Flights. You can also check other secondary airports as some of those occasionally have lower fares to international destinations thanks to the odd vagaries of airline revenue management. But yeah, you're either going to connect in Chicago or one of the big airports on the east coast unless Delta is doing something nice out of MSP or DTW.

You should get the tickets whenever they're at a price you're willing to pay. $800 isn't really that bad anymore, and I'd check premium economy prices too as I've seen many cases where PE was only $150 or so more than the regular coach fare. There is no better time or single day of the week or anything like that anymore; airlines have embraced technology and the data they have and are getting much better about maximizing their revenue at all times. You'll still see things like $400 fares out of New York and whatnot, but you'd have to compare that to what it would cost you to get to New York and have unprotected connections.

Norwegian isn't bad, but their long haul operations aren't going particularly well financially (see: https://paxex.aero/2019/11/norwegian-tatl-cuts-stockholm-copenhagen/) so there is some level of risk that the flight you book may not actually operate by the time Labor Day comes around. There's no guarantee one way or the other, but globally there are going to be ongoing financial impacts due to everything going on in China so less profitable routes are going to get cut by lots of airlines. As an example, South African announced cuts last week to most of their long haul routes including the one I wanted from GRU to JNB. :rolleyes:

thisdude23 posted:

I'm taking a cruise out of Long Beach at the end of June and I'll be flying out of San Antonio. Which airport should I fly into? Should I book now or wait until it gets closer? Also, which day is cheaper, Friday or Saturday?

Most likely we'll be flying Southwest.

Long Beach is about equidistant from both SNA and LAX, and LGB is nice but you don't have an efficient way to get on a JetBlue flight from SAT. Southwest is certainly an option, but it may behoove you to look at other airlines since there's not a ton of pricing difference between them anymore. Schedule and availability (and not having to stop in PHX) are also factors. As I noted above, if it's at a price you're willing to pay, go for it. Pricing is highly variable so look at all your options (tougher to do since Southwest doesn't work with OTAs that allow fare tracking very much); Friday or Saturday usually doesn't matter that much into LA, but you never know until you do the research.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Mackieman posted:

That's the right call, and despite the exclusion of NY residents being a magnificent example of horseshit, any felony conviction usually disqualifies you from GE. Be honest when you fill out the form (assuming the inevitable lawsuit restores your access to GE) and hope for the best.

Need to clarify it was a misdemeanor since I got it in KY and live in NY now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aximus
Aug 18, 2010
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to find a flight from the San Antonio area to the Vicenza, Italy area around Feb 20th and then a flight back anywhere from 70 to 90 days later. I'm going back to Italy to meet with my wife and new born daughter to help finish her visa paperwork. I'm not certain how long I'll be there which is why the return date range is so large. Is it better to get a one way ticket and then book and the return flight later, or are there options to have a flexible return flight?