Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

You know what? I think you convinced me it is "Cassidy thinks Kokoro and Undine are an item" and Cassidy is just being unusually aggressive about finding out. But Undine (and by extension the audience) thinks she is talking about Goops. It certainly feels anime enough misunderstanding for this comic. We shall see.
Cassidy after getting blood bended into submission: alright geeze sorry for wanting to know if you're joining team heartful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think there’s a little more going on with Cassidy than rumormongering, since she’s intense enough to cut herself in half nightly. She’s probably got some kind of personal trauma backstory, since, y’know, she’s a magical girl in this setting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
In bad webcomics news: Roko, you should probably ask the person you're (ineffectually) helping for her opinion. You know, before turning down what is effectively divine intervention just for the sake of your pride.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think there’s a little more going on with Cassidy than rumormongering, since she’s intense enough to cut herself in half nightly. She’s probably got some kind of personal trauma backstory, since, y’know, she’s a magical girl in this setting.

It could still just be jealousy - a "why wasn't Kokoro ever this nice to me? What makes her so special?" kind of thing. I do still think that Cassidy isn't who Gabby was trying to warn about, but the scene is being set up to make it look like she's more dangerous than she is.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

Or maybe her lot is proportionaly light to how bonkers her power is. Who knows! :psyduck:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

In bad webcomics news: Roko, you should probably ask the person you're (ineffectually) helping for her opinion. You know, before turning down what is effectively divine intervention just for the sake of your pride.

it's not often you get a deus ex machina that continues to hang around and make the story worse like a year+ after their first appearance but QC finds a way

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The issue with asking May for her opinion is that there's no indication that Spookybot (do I really have to call them Hello Newfriend?) gives a poo poo what anybody except Roko thinks.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Anybody here have an encyclopedic knowledge of niche webcomics and the willingness to help me find one I remember reading a while back?

It had some sort of apocalyptic setting where there's some disease that gives people animal features and makes them crazy or something. All the "pure" humans lived in underground cities, and the MC got conscripted to defend them from a horde or something, and also had special shoes that hid their bird feet.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Syenite posted:

Anybody here have an encyclopedic knowledge of niche webcomics and the willingness to help me find one I remember reading a while back?

It had some sort of apocalyptic setting where there's some disease that gives people animal features and makes them crazy or something. All the "pure" humans lived in underground cities, and the MC got conscripted to defend them from a horde or something, and also had special shoes that hid their bird feet.

endtown

not a good comic imo

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

endtown

not a good comic imo

Hmm no, it definitely wasn't that one. It was less "funny animals," more serious.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The pale blue robot with the red eyes is the deus ex machina that fixed Bubbles or w/e?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

PetraCore posted:

How much do you reckon the hazard pay is for being a magical girl camera person.
"You're getting paid in ~~exposure~~ to magical nightmare creatures"

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm a magical girl

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I appreciate that Cagle lampshaded the questions everyone had about Cassidy cutting herself in half in the first panel.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

The issue with asking May for her opinion is that there's no indication that Spookybot (do I really have to call them Hello Newfriend?) gives a poo poo what anybody except Roko thinks.
No, but Roko could inform her own decisions based on her friend's opinions.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

endtown

not a good comic imo

I'm of the opinion that it started declining with the introduction of the current protagonist all the way back in January of 2011, but the last couple of arcs have been absolutely dreadful.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lol the grimdark furry zombie comic sounds awful, please link if you find it

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

lol the grimdark furry zombie comic sounds awful, please link if you find it

The characters that I remember weren't anthros per se, so I'm not sure if it's technically furry.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, I forgot that Jones carried the super-advanced robot nobody knows how it works into her hideout on the grounds that her idiot hacker spent five minutes hacking it so it's obviously completely on her side.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
wow just found out that Skin Horse exists. I loved Narbonic when I was in like, high school. The early years are very of their times. (one character appears to identify as an attack helicopter, which is amazingly weird to have preserved in amber because that was years before that lovely transphobic meme was a thing.)

It's got that same cute human-ness mixed with the fun 'go-anywhere, do-anything' style of webcomics from that era.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Impermanent posted:

wow just found out that Skin Horse exists. I loved Narbonic when I was in like, high school. The early years are very of their times. (one character appears to identify as an attack helicopter, which is amazingly weird to have preserved in amber because that was years before that lovely transphobic meme was a thing.)

It's got that same cute human-ness mixed with the fun 'go-anywhere, do-anything' style of webcomics from that era.
Yeah, Nick is a bit of a weird character to exist because he's, like, a completely earnest character who would absolutely be done different if Garrity were to start the comic over in 2020. Overall though I really like Skin Horse still because it's come into its own and everyone is more or less kind of a competent dumbass as opposed to the core trio dynamic of Narbonic while doing good worldbuilding, plot point seeding and reaping and fun little running jokes such as "all robots inherently have a weird speech tic" that then get explored.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Shaenon Garrity is good people and couldn't have predicted what would happen but yeah, Nick is hella uncomfortable in This, The Year 2020

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Impermanent posted:

Skin Horse is great and so is Shaenon Garrity, glad you found it. If you want more Nick there's an old in-character wordpress blog of his at https://nickzerhakker.wordpress.com/. (If you followed Narbonic I assume you know about the filename stories--this has continued in Skin Horse--almost 9000 words now!--and has some nice backstory on each of the core characters, see http://www.ci-n.com/~jcampbel/skinhorse.txt.)

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 25, 2020

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Drunk Theory posted:

Thanks for posting your comic. I'll give it a read this weekend.

Hope you enjoy! No prob.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Mors Rattus posted:

Shaenon Garrity is good people and couldn't have predicted what would happen but yeah, Nick is hella uncomfortable in This, The Year 2020
Nick is one of my favorite Skin Horse characters but I can definitely see the cringe when put out that way, although I also don't think he's intended to be a transgender analogue because his identification is literally something that was done to him.

Mostly I just like that he's an attack helicopter and lovely gamer stereotype who is also a firm pacifist, and that was the wrench in the plan to make military drones with human brains. Also that he was literally instantly obsolete.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cool, you used your one question on that. Good luck finding your way through now.

e: oh they cheated by having them already pointing a direction

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Cool, you used your one question on that. Good luck finding your way through now.

Yeah that's the thing with this riddle. People try to be cleverer than it, but often include REALLY stupid outs that aren't actually there in the original because otherwise, they can't have their smart rear end solution.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think everyone just kinda forgot the 'you only get one question' rule

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's how the riddle works, you have knowledge of which door each is assigned to. The one difference here is normally your question can only be posed to one of them, but in this case both answered. It's not meant to be impossible, as with the one in the previous updated, just confuse and slow you down.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's how the riddle works, you have knowledge of which door each is assigned to. The one difference here is normally your question can only be posed to one of them, but in this case both answered. It's not meant to be impossible, as with the one in the previous updated, just confuse and slow you down.

In the classic riddle, you don't know which guard is guarding which door; whether you ask one or both doesn't matter since the point is to get them to give the same answer. It's not impossible, the solution is to ask what the other guard would say. So you are answered with two lies.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

People try to be cleverer than it, but often include REALLY stupid outs that aren't actually there in the original because otherwise, they can't have their smart rear end solution.
Humanity.txt

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rotten Red Rod posted:

In the original riddle you are allowed only one question to either one, and they do not give you any passive information by guarding a specific path or whatever. The correct question is "What path would the other guardian tell me to take?" which will always result in you being told the wrong path, so you take the other one.

Any other solution is nerds misinterpreting the riddle and simplifying it to make themselves look smart with snarky "obvious" answers.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

In the original riddle you are allowed only one question to either one, and they do not give you any passive information by guarding a specific path or whatever. The correct question is "What path would the other guardian tell me to take?" which will always result in you being told the wrong path, so you take the other one.

Any other solution is nerds misinterpreting the riddle and simplifying it to make themselves look smart with snarky "obvious" answers.

Yeah if you have them already indicating a route it isn't a riddle as the dumb comic so elegantly demonstrates

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

That's right. Being able to ascertain which path is correct simply by determining which one is the liar completely undermines the whole point of the riddle. It's supposed to be a trap for people who aren't paying attention to the rules! In a just world that person would have just completely derailed their party's adventure by not letting the details get read out completely before rushing ahead with a question.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Which, to be fair, would be well in line with the previous page if that had been the case.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's a simple joke about silly cliche trials.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ah, ok. Well, either way, the character here isn't event being "clever", she's just already been here before and knows the trick.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kennel posted:

It's a simple joke about silly cliche trials.

It's a silly cliche joke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the whole premise of that particular dungeon crawl is that the Heirophant, the big scary baddie of the comic, is a tremendous loving Dungeons and Dragons assed dork of exactly the kind you're whining about