Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

More New Zealand west coast, unfortunately really thick cloud rolled through before the light got any good, shot still turned out ok but I'll have to go back another day and spend some more time poking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That is gorgeous. The depth, distance fog, palette, everything. If I ever come across a scene like that, I hope I'm able to capture it as well.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah I agree these own, especially the first one.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This is incredible

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Struggled to get enough isolation between this branch and the background, not great but I think it works ok (chaotic scrubby forests are hard).

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Blackhawk posted:

Struggled to get enough isolation between this branch and the background, not great but I think it works ok (chaotic scrubby forests are hard).

Those blues in the corners look very forced, what processing did you on the photo?
Looks like you overdid some slider.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

bobmarleysghost posted:

Those blues in the corners look very forced, what processing did you on the photo?
Looks like you overdid some slider.

Yeah you're right now that I look at it that does look pretty lovely. It's portra 4x5 sheet film which does lend itself to those aqua blues but I did dick with the colours a fair bit after inverting the negative and I also added a vignette which would make the corners stand out even more.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

portra definitely doesn't have those aqua blues normally, something is wrong with your processing or scanning. is your blue channel clipped to one side when you scan the negative?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Do you mind sharing your scanning method?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

DSLR scanning the negative on an LED tracing pad and inverting using negative lab pro in lightroom. I'll have to check the file tonight to see if I'm clipping the blues but more likely it's just being too heavy handed with the editing. The original photo wasn't great lighting anyway but I can't remember if the negative had a colour cast.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

You won't see that type of color fringing on portra. The problem is your scanning technique. Do yourself a favour and get a scanner. You'd save a ton of time and your photos will look better.

Also, post a photo of your dslr scanning setup, it'd be fun to see.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Getting rid of the vignette and the boosted saturation seems to have done the trick, I guess never edit photos late at night? It was always polishing a turd anyway as far as the image goes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, I kinda preferred the first one, despite the blues. I think the sky is now too bright and makes it hard to focus on the center.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The branch popped better on the first but yeah I don’t think the image is very interesting to start with, spend the time shooting more instead!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

there's still something definitely wrong with your scanning or inverting process, that doesn't look like healthy portra

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I find the center of the image interesting because I like little microexamples of stuff that happens to reflect the overall macro environment but I'd want a different crop and agreeing that you should pick up an epson flatbed scanner cheap online or w/e and join us scanbros.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

On that note, I picked up an Epson 4990 for cheap on Ebay. Works well!.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
view from Tikal Temple IV panorama by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Killing it. Are these cropped much/at all? The palette on the second one is beautiful, very cinematic.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I bribed the guards and spent the night up there when I was a youth, wish I’d had a decent camera back then.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

Killing it. Are these cropped much/at all? The palette on the second one is beautiful, very cinematic.

Not the last few, they're all shot with zooms (16-80 and 55-200) so I didn't have to crop. I've mostly been using the Fuji Chrome film simulation with some tweaks to add a little contrast and bring out some additional color.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

real nice

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Some verticals.

Nevermind the scanner artifact on #3

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Did some 1”-10” exposures, I like the shorter one since it has more texture. Never been a huge fan of the smoothed out water and clouds anyway.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

Did some 1”-10” exposures, I like the shorter one since it has more texture. Never been a huge fan of the smoothed out water and clouds anyway.

I like the second one because the bridge looks better without the breaks in the lights. Exposure isn’t so long that the water and clouds don’t look like water and clouds anymore.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tk posted:

I like the second one because the bridge looks better without the breaks in the lights. Exposure isn’t so long that the water and clouds don’t look like water and clouds anymore.

The breaks in the lights are because they’re animated. I think one of my Things I need to get over is that gap between what I see and what the photo ends up being. Someone who hasn’t seen the Bay Bridge at night wouldn’t know that.

I was holding my camera still on a concrete railing over the water, I did longer exposures but they were blurry because my “press down on a flat surface” technique seems to have a ~12 second limit before I twitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Love the colour palette in this.