Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

drat that was back in 2007? Time flies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I remember another thread where a similar process was used to find unsecured shared workstations including one that appeared to be turbine controls at a German power station, at which point I noped the gently caress out of the thread.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

Something like that is a really tempting av, not gonna lie.

F0855B2-E4F4F67E08-83BC9

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zero One posted:

Does a waterpark have a duty to provide electricity-free water?

No, says Comcast.

https://twitter.com/jeffweineros/status/1221843714471010307?s=21

Universal recently became sort of infamous among fans and the staff for cutting corners to get attractions open faster. The Rip Ride Rockit coaster (which included a customizable soundtrack for each seat and a vertical lift hill) was set to take only 11 months from groundbreaking to the grand opening, and ended up delayed 4 months due to the anti-rollback devices on the lift hill not working. It started out very smooth but became shakier and jerkier with every passing year. I haven't been back on since it had a coaster get stuck on the vertical lift hill, which requires partial evacuation of the surrounding area to get a truck in place for rescuing everyone.

Then they tore down a disused, damaged soundstage to turn into the Transformers ride. They spent 11 months just converting one kid-friendly simulator ride to a new theme with the same building and ride system; they spent 12 months on Transformers doing everything, from tearing down the old building to cleaning the wreckage, building the new structure, and installing everything. It ended up with numerous technical glitches that led to it being down constantly after opening, though now it's running smoothly (even if almost nobody rides it anymore).

Oh, and the electric pool isn't even the only problem at Volcano Bay. They had to put scales at all of the slides because one of them had a weight limit of 200 pounds.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 28, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Aw, thank you. :3:

Behold my slightly misaligned DIN 4844-2 avatar.

schmug
May 20, 2007

First option wasn't terrifying enough so he came up with this:

time stamped at the good stuff :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GKIL5GFdUQ&t=181s

I think the chains me be marginally "safer", but...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh, and the electric pool isn't even the only problem at Volcano Bay. They had to put scales at all of the slides because one of them had a weight limit of 200 pounds.

So they built a ride that less than a 1/3 of their customers can use?
:crossarms:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

So they built a ride that less than a 1/3 of their customers can use?
:crossarms:

I don’t think it was on purpose, since their others have weight limits of 300 to 800 pounds. They just suddenly realized that the two body slides were incredibly structurally weak.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Well at least they didn’t attempt the Action Park Classic:

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/rare-video-of-people-actually-riding-action-parks-infam-1563953390/amp

Or that giant waterslide that decapitated a kid.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verr%C3%BCckt_(water_slide)

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 28, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Nothing wrong here, it was supposed to be a final ride for sicks/olds. More elegant version:

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Action Park was a treasure. The best was the cliff dives there, which shared a pool with a number of other attractions and didn't even rope off the landing zone where people were jumping off 20-foot platforms.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

TorpedoFish posted:

Action Park was a treasure. The best was the cliff dives there, which shared a pool with a number of other attractions and didn't even rope off the landing zone where people were jumping off 20-foot platforms.

That, or "The Grave Pool."

https://youtu.be/flkW-ceNvck

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

HOly poo poo I thought action park closed in the 80's...but it was open till 1996 and then reopened. People of NJ are wild as hell for continuing to go to this injury factory.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

LifeSunDeath posted:

HOly poo poo I thought action park closed in the 80's...but it was open till 1996 and then reopened. People of NJ are wild as hell for continuing to go to this injury factory.
Look if you're living in NJ you can either die in traffic on your way home to some godforsaken suburb or you can die having fun at a death theme park.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If time travel is ever invented I’m going back to the 70’s and going to Action Park at least once. I mean, preventing 9/11 is second on the list to this.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I went to Action Park as an unsupervised 13 year old supervising two other kids 9 and 11 and holy poo poo it was absolutely everything you ever heard.

It was amazing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

If time travel is ever invented I’m going back to the 70’s and going to Action Park at least once. I mean, preventing Trump is second on the list to this.
Same, I'd love to see that park in that era, but no way I'd be getting in the water. The second thing is more important though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Look at all these time travelers not killing baby Hitler.

Not following standard time travel procedures is an OSHA violation!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

There's a fidelity issue with time travel, you go too far back and poo poo just gets weird. But if they ever work it out, I'll go back get jesus on some anti-psychotic meds...his bullshit's lead to a lot of deaths.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LifeSunDeath posted:

There's a fidelity issue with time travel, you go too far back and poo poo just gets weird. But if they ever work it out, I'll go back get jesus on some anti-psychotic meds...his bullshit's lead to a lot of deaths.

Not his fault nobody actually listened to the stuff he was very explicit about, and just used his name to prop up their own agenda.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

You need to maintain eventual consistency on big events with time travel, everyone knows that.

So do 9/11 but crash into Trump.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is one of those images that leaves me wishing I had studied physics so I could run the numbers on what the gently caress happened.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is one of those images that leaves me wishing I had studied physics so I could run the numbers on what the gently caress happened.

Car went hold up, boat went yeah nah.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

F=ma should do the trick. The truck stopped too fast and snapped the lines holding the boat.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Volcott posted:

Car went hold up, boat went yeah nah.

No poo poo. I just want to know how fast that idiot was going that the loving boat sailed through the air with enough clearance to land square on the cab.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Just go back and take Trump to Action Park.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No poo poo. I just want to know how fast that idiot was going that the loving boat sailed through the air with enough clearance to land square on the cab.

you may notice if you look at the picture that the tailgate and roof are caved in, indicating that the boat slid over those spots before coming to rest on the hood

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Varkk posted:

Just go back and take Trump to Action Park.

All of his tanning sprays and whatever the hell makes his hair do that would probably coat the inside of the slide, congeal and make it structurally sound.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
All this time travel talk and nobody is going to take a side trip to stop ABBA?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm going to 5 minutes ago to stop you stopping ABBA

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saRir95iIWk

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sagebrush posted:

you may notice if you look at the picture that the tailgate and roof are caved in, indicating that the boat slid over those spots before coming to rest on the hood

Something I'm curious about when I see stuff like this: Is that boat a total writeoff? I don't know much about boating but I know cars get written off all the time for seemingly-small collisions (my limited understanding is that this is usually because the chassis could be bent or cracked). Is it similar for boats? Is that boat's 'spine broken' from hitting the pavement, or could it be salvaged, however expensively? No doubt the truck is a writeoff.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Boats can't sail on roads OP.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
That's amazing.

I liked one of the videos in the comments, showing another video with a mechanical telephone switching station. Deafening to hear all the switches operating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkXzljS74Nw

quote:

An old xbar switchman told me onetime that if you work in a xbar SMB (sender make busy) for 2 years you will start to lose your hearing, if you stay for 5 years you will start to drink heavy, if you stay 10 years you'll start to lose your mind and be a confirmed alcoholic, and if you stay 15 years or more you'll die before age 60. These machines were incredibly loud when running at maximum call processing, this footage is not during the busy hours but you can still hear what they sounded like. Both of these machines were cutover in the 80's. Enjoy any of you old crossbar folks that are still alive.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
that unixbeard :allears:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

"He's the suit, I'm the beard"

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

stealie72 posted:

All this time travel talk and nobody is going to take a side trip to stop Steely Dan?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

This is just going to escalate until we have to go back and kill the first guy banging two rocks together in rhythm, isnt it?

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

stealie72 posted:

This is just going to escalate until we have to go back and kill the first guy banging two rocks together in rhythm, isnt it?

Just catch that first fish before it crawls out of the sea, cut it off at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

This guy is so strange, looks very old and very young at the same time.