Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

cams posted:

LOWEST SCORE WINS!

Hayes dragging Andy and his response of "What the gently caress?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I listened to Pual Scheer's episode on the Bigfoot Collectors Club podcast. The first half-hour or so is him talking about his life, including not only going more in-depth on his childhood ghost encounter, but also that he grew up as a born-again Christian complete with his mom speaking in tongues, something I don't think he's ever mentioned before.

I think this is also the first time he's said that Unspooled will continue in some unspecified manner even after they finish going through the AFI 100 list.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

I listened to Pual Scheer's episode on the Bigfoot Collectors Club podcast. The first half-hour or so is him talking about his life, including not only going more in-depth on his childhood ghost encounter, but also that he grew up as a born-again Christian complete with his mom speaking in tongues, something I don't think he's ever mentioned before.

I think this is also the first time he's said that Unspooled will continue in some unspecified manner even after they finish going through the AFI 100 list.

Oh, he's mentioned his mom and tongues before....

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Don't go into Newcomers with hope that they like these movies.

edit: But if you want John Gemberling to have to wade through their hatred to try and defend Star Wars while also explaining it, it's a pro-listen.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 28, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's fun to hear someone watch these things for the first time and still be absolutely bewildered about all the special edition poo poo.

Also note there's not just the Gemberling episode, but a commentary track of them watching the movie too. I'm liking the regular episode so far.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's really fun.

I feel like maybe they didn't understand too much of the movie because they were distracted by recording the commentary track? I haven't listened to it yet, but while it's nice as a fan to watch it with them, that's not the best way of being introduced to any movie.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah I can't imagine watching any movie for the first time like that. Sounds really distracting! I hope it's something they're just doing for A New Hope and that they'll watch the rest of them in a normal way.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

How Did This Get Played manages to have a Native American guest without controversy this episode. A good one, too. I got into the parts where they were talking about the hidden legacies of Katamari.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

My sister in law had never seen Star Wars before meeting my brother. She probably knew less pop culture stuff than these ladies, too. Also, she's not huge on scifi/fantasy. She loved the original trilogy. Couldn't wait to see what would happen next and had so many excited questions.

Maybe they should have watched it without trying to do commentary at the same time. They'd at least have understood it more.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I do enjoy me some Lapkus, and I haven’t listened to Newcomers, but listening to Threedom really drove home that I don’t think she ever really puts the effort into thinking about or understanding entertainment too much.

Like I’m failing to capture some concrete examples but I remember ending one episode with a realization like “oh so she is into the entertainment industry as much as I’m into the defense industry” meaning that we both work in those fields but gently caress if we really think about it outside of our specific work.

Like when you realize that Scott is at his core actually a musical and play kind of guy after maybe thinking he was all about comedy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. If you want to stay a big fan of a particular entertainment industry, don't enter it.

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust
It seemed really forced to me. Like they're trying to go viral as "two women who watch and instantly hate Star Wars." But if it is genuine, and they thought this movie was slow, hoo boy are they in for some pain.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Pleasing Shape posted:

It seemed really forced to me. Like they're trying to go viral as "two women who watch and instantly hate Star Wars." But if it is genuine, and they thought this movie was slow, hoo boy are they in for some pain.

I was going to say the Phantom Menace might kill them, but it's Clone Wars that will put them 6 feet in the ground.

Rogue One will resurrect them, and then Solo will murder them all over again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pleasing Shape posted:

I think when the special editions hit the cinemas in 97 for the anniversary is when I realized just how glacial some of ANH moves. I think when it’s a film you know and love you overlook it, but it’s definitely paced way slower than an equivalent film today would be and it’s not a surprise they picked up on it.

I’m really looking forward to them hating on the prequels, and intrigued to how they’ll find the Disney movies.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Pleasing Shape posted:

Yes these two established women in comedy want to go viral by touching the nerd hornet nest. That makes sense.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 29, 2020

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
My favourite thing about when weird dudes film their girlfriends or daughters watching the end of star wars 2 is the victims are always all "woah what" when Vader says he's Luke's dad, but at the actual conclusion of the fight scene when Luke rejects him and tries to throw himself to his death they have a way bigger reaction. The goal of making someone watch star wars is never to tell 'em a good story, it's to teach them catchphrases extremely longwindedly

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 29, 2020

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Just lol at ‘oh they didn’t get Star Wars because they didn’t pay enough attention’.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Lauren Lapkus and Nicole Byer are both gonna have the loving worst imaginable time on twitter and someone will send an envelope of white powder to Headgum

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I hope for The Force Awakens Jack Alison guests to explain why it's actually bad and they shouldn't like it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm hoping for the funniest possible outcome, that the prequel trilogy winds up being their favorite.

gently caress Your Website posted:

Just lol at ‘oh they didn’t get Star Wars because they didn’t pay enough attention’.

Did you listen to the commentary track they did? It's kinda true! They got confused by stuff that was clearly explained by the movie. But also I think most people would have that problem if they were doing a commentary track while watching a movie for the very first time.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
My girlfriend never saw the originals as a kid and she thinks the OT is okay, the prequels suck poo poo and the Disney sequels are the best three. My bet is that this will wind up being the same for Lauren and Nicole or anyone without the nostalgia glasses.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Podcasts are like scripted series now...content, content, content, except on these comedy podcasts worlds the talent pool is incredibly small...so after listening to it my new analysis is that Lauren and Nicole are out there slinging tent and there is probably nothing on paper easier to sell than “two semi-known female comedy podcasters watch Star Wars for the first time and talk about it”. Which is fine but I think don’t look for it to be any deeper than that, like for them to dive deeper into the history or really care about it (vs. the Scotts on U2 or REM)... which as mentioned above will be great if the Uber SW fan base gets involved I think they won’t know what the hell they are in for, which could be really fun

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crazyweasel posted:

Podcasts are like scripted series now...content, content, content, except on these comedy podcasts worlds the talent pool is incredibly small...so after listening to it my new analysis is that Lauren and Nicole are out there slinging tent and there is probably nothing on paper easier to sell than “two semi-known female comedy podcasters watch Star Wars for the first time and talk about it”. Which is fine but I think don’t look for it to be any deeper than that, like for them to dive deeper into the history or really care about it (vs. the Scotts on U2 or REM)... which as mentioned above will be great if the Uber SW fan base gets involved I think they won’t know what the hell they are in for, which could be really fun

I'm just spoiled from In Myers/Voorhees We Trust's 4+ hour episodes about one single Halloween/Friday the 13th sequel.

I already miss that show. Waiting for October. :sigh:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm a big horror fan, a big Gourley fan, a big Rust fan, but man do I not care for slashers. If they do Nightmare on Elm Street I'll give that a listen because that series is at least bizarro (unlike later Halloween films and every Friday film*), but I'd love for them to do the, like, Ghoulies series or something

e:*okay probably not Jason X but I haven't seen it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 29, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I'm a big horror fan, a big Gourley fan, a big Rust fan, but man do I not care for slashers. If they do Nightmare on Elm Street I'll give that a listen because that series is at least bizarro (unlike later Halloween films and every Friday film), but I'd love for them to do the, like, Ghoulies series or something

Elm Street is the next one they're hinting at. Paul Rust just binged the series according to Letterboxd.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I've disliked horror films since I was a kid but my fondness for Gourley & Rust and their obsession over the Friday series got me to start watching them. I was surprised at how bad they are, and how fun they are to watch. I think I watched the first five or so then skipped to Jason X because I was so eager to watch it. I fell asleep.

edit: really, enough can't be said about Crispin Glover in this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocgj9tewHso

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 29, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not that this is the thread for it, but I'll take whatever excuse to highlight No Small Parts. Glover's episode really shed some light on him as a performer for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U0_tZdus9g

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Elm Street is the next one they're hinting at. Paul Rust just binged the series according to Letterboxd.

Can you link Paul's profile?

Seaniqua posted:

I've disliked horror films since I was a kid but my fondness for Gourley & Rust and their obsession over the Friday series got me to start watching them. I was surprised at how bad they are, and how fun they are to watch. I think I watched the first five or so then skipped to Jason X because I was so eager to watch it. I fell asleep.

If you skipped 6, you missed the actual good one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The new Superego has me wishing PFT had a C2CAM style podcast where every week he just peddles conspiracy theories and takes calls from crazies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Can you link Paul's profile?

Paul Rust Letterboxd and Matt Gourley Letterboxd

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thanks!
He mostly gives five stars. Positive Paulie.

edit: That's probably from retroactively rating his favourite movies, though. He doesn't seem to log watches.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 30, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Thanks!
He mostly gives five stars. Positive Paulie.

edit: That's probably from retroactively rating his favourite movies, though. He doesn't seem to log watches.

Gourley is the most active on it, yeah.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm listening to the first episode of Newcomers (the live reaction to A New Hope) and it is hilarious so far. I like Star Wars well enough, but don't care about it hugely. I am sure that there's a demo of Internet Star Wars fan that is absolutely losing their poo poo to this lol.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I do not like star wars at all so I did not think I was going to like Newcomers but of course these are two highly entertaining comedians so I ended up liking it. I really identified with them hating and being bored by these awful awful movies.

Having a fan like gemberling just added to the fun

Cannot wait for the episode featuring the inscrutable Christmas special.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I listened to Newcomers (the actual episode, not the live commentary) and I didn't really think they were all that negative. I mean, they were happy to look up stuff on Wookieepedia and try to find answers to the stuff they had questions about. They both said they liked the action scenes, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher. They missed some obvious stuff, but I also think their reactions to the first movie as people completely devoid of Star Wars context was interesting. Lapkus particularly hit the nail on the head more than she knew when she talked about how people obsessed with traditional sci-fi must have felt like the more fantastical approach to the movie needed them to step in and categorized and explain everything.

If anything I was disappointed with Gemberling. As someone who was supposed to be the expert who could explain things to them, he pretty heavily failed. Stuff like him not knowing when 2001 came out or thinking that Lucas didn't direct A New Hope (!) is kind of ridiculous.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Somebody broke into Engineer Brett and Dana's car last night and stole a bunch of stuff, including Brett's guitar pedalboard. There's a GoFundMe.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Doo Doo man strikes again

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Chairman Capone posted:

If anything I was disappointed with Gemberling. As someone who was supposed to be the expert who could explain things to them, he pretty heavily failed. Stuff like him not knowing when 2001 came out or thinking that Lucas didn't direct A New Hope (!) is kind of ridiculous.
He didn't mention Hidden Fortress or Kurosawa once! When they were talking about the wipes I was going craaaazy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't know who Vicki Vox is, beyond the person with maybe the absolute most annoying ad I've heard for a podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"Do you just wanna say Gabrus' name?"