Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

nine-gear crow posted:

"Miles, what the hell are we doing here?"

"Julian?! What are you...? What time is it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Bashir definitely needs a tailor. That uniform is 3 sizes bigger than he is.
Wheres Garak anyway?

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

"Julian?! What are you...? What time is it?"

Computer end program... ah Jaaaysus! Julian last time we went on one of your little adventures some alien gowl chopped me micky off. I've had enough Julian! Thirty loving years of this! I've had loving enough!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been thinking this for ages. Nobody wants a screen with the background visible like that! Good lord that would be distracting.

Oh really. Tell that to Samsung and LG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICVmbZPhaKE

Can't wait for the crossover episode where Jean Luc fights Beta from The Walking Dead.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Binary Logic posted:

Oh really. Tell that to Samsung and LG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICVmbZPhaKE

Can't wait for the crossover episode where Jean Luc fights Beta from The Walking Dead.

Its not Beta from TWD, Beta from TWD is Ryan Hurst who played in Sons of Anarchy.
Also while looking at Picard page on imdb I found a lot of spoilers. Why can't people who saw first 3 episodes just shut up ugh. /rant

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Bashir definitely needs a tailor. That uniform is 3 sizes bigger than he is.
Wheres Garak anyway?

'Gardening'

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nonagenarian swords fighters!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I ordered a couple of Eaglemoss XL Starships, my Trek fandom is back in full force!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rhyno posted:

I ordered a couple of Eaglemoss XL Starships, my Trek fandom is back in full force!
Which ones

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Disco Enterprise, Enterprise E, Disco (it was CHEAP) and the Shenzou (even cheaper). I've liked what I've seen of the XL line so I'll likely end up getting more.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I wish Micro Machines were still around. I loved their little Star Trek ships when I was a kid...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Disco Enterprise, Enterprise E, Disco (it was CHEAP) and the Shenzou (even cheaper). I've liked what I've seen of the XL line so I'll likely end up getting more.

I’ve thought about getting the Disco, because my broke brain actually loves the design. I have the Ent-D XL and was really happy with the quality.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have the little 5-inch Enterprise-D and it's cute, I love having it sitting up on the cabinet next to my desk looking like it's flying around exploring my room :3:. Also it was like $20 and the quality is amazing for that price.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HD DAD posted:

I’ve thought about getting the Disco, because my broke brain actually loves the design. I have the Ent-D XL and was really happy with the quality.

I love it. The show maybe be all over the place but the Discovery herself is gorgeous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My favorite youtube Trek creator put out a new video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0g_vWUKAQA

Dude's hilarious, if you're at all interested in ST production and ship design, he's a must watch

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

My favorite youtube Trek creator put out a new video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0g_vWUKAQA

Dude's hilarious, if you're at all interested in ST production and ship design, he's a must watch

I just saw this was up and came back to post it! Junkball!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MikeJF posted:

little 5-inch -D and it's cute

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Angry Salami posted:

I wish Micro Machines were still around. I loved their little Star Trek ships when I was a kid...

I'm pretty sure I had all of them.

Brought them into school one day to show my friends.

Left them there.

Never saw them again.

Edit: 22 years later and I'm still bummed wtf

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 29, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Paramount really is leaving a shitload of money on the table with Star Trek merchandising. The most iconic pieces of merchandise are hilarious bootlegs, while the target audience is almost exactly the kind of people you can sell ridiculously overpriced statuettes and model kits to. Even with JJtrek otherwise playing like a Star Wars blockbuster you got nothing except the occasional Mega Bloks kit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Paramount really is leaving a shitload of money on the table with Star Trek merchandising. The most iconic pieces of merchandise are hilarious bootlegs, while the target audience is almost exactly the kind of people you can sell ridiculously overpriced statuettes and model kits to. Even with JJtrek otherwise playing like a Star Wars blockbuster you got nothing except the occasional Mega Bloks kit.

I'm not challenging you but asking out of ignorance: what aren't they doing that they should be

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know how hard it was for me to get a decent commbadge? That poo poo should be everywhere. I went to a major nerd conn and the booths were like 'here's a massive selection of Doctor Who (and everyone has a Sonic Screwdriver), here's a massive selection of Star Wars... nope, no Trek, because there's basically poo poo all and it's not being spread out to stores well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And it's puzzling when you look back 20 years and the Playmates line spanned a quarter of a toy aisle and was a juggernaut. The toy line for 2009 was a pretty big flop so they're likely not willing to push anything new into brick and mortar stores.

zoux posted:

I'm not challenging you but asking out of ignorance: what aren't they doing that they should be

In the 90's Trek was for families. The huge toyline I mentioned. But today, Trek isn't really marketed towards kids like it was back when we were kids. Trek fandom is mostly adults and the merch is aimed at them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

And it's puzzling when you look back 20 years and the Playmates line spanned a quarter of a toy aisle and was a juggernaut. The toy line for 2009 was a pretty big flop so they're likely not willing to push anything new into brick and mortar stores.

In the 90's Trek was for families. The huge toyline I mentioned. But today, Trek isn't really marketed towards kids like it was back when we were kids. Trek fandom is mostly adults and the merch is aimed at them.

I remember catching every new episode with my dad, spaceship toys on the floor

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah good quality props

Combadges, tricorders, phasers, mek'leths, whatever

this thing:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brawnfire posted:

I remember catching every new episode with my dad, spaceship toys on the floor

We watched it as a family. TNG Saturdays (later Sundays). At the end of the run the local channel moved it to 9pm and I had a firm school night bedtime. But for All Good Things , Dad overruled that and let me stay up til 11 so I could watch the entire thing. It's actually one of my favorite memories of my Dad from when I was a kid. We had a really rocky time later that lasted many years and our rift was healed because of our mutual love of scifi tv. My brother had tons of the toys, I had a shelf of the playmates ships.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Yeah good quality props

Combadges, tricorders, phasers, mek'leths, whatever

this thing:

Good quality ones for the collectors and poo poo, and also just decent quality ones that are affordable enough to pick up on a whim when you see them but don't look like poo poo. That's an important market segment too. Good for presents and for kids and casual fans and stuff.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 29, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

We watched it as a family. TNG Saturdays (later Sundays). At the end of the run the local channel moved it to 9pm and I had a firm school night bedtime. But for All Good Things , Dad overruled that and let me stay up til 11 so I could watch the entire thing. It's actually one of my favorite memories of my Dad from when I was a kid. We had a really rocky time later that lasted many years and our rift was healed because of our mutual love of scifi tv. My brother had tons of the toys, I had a shelf of the playmates ships.

:kimchi:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'm gonna go ahead and share my goofy Farscape post

Rhyno posted:

So....

Farscape.

In 1999 I had just moved back in with my parents, shortly after turning 20. I was broke and a messed up dude and had a terrible relationship with my father so it was very rough being back in that house. A few weeks into the year, SciFi launched the Friday Prime block which included a certain show that this thread happens to be about. What many don't remember is that there was a Prime Preview night a week or two before the launch. An episode of Poltergeist the Legacy, First Wave and Farscape aired. Specifically, PK Tech Girl. I had no money that night so I stayed in and watched tv, finding this odd show to be very engaging. ABout a third of the way through, my father entered the room without knocking to give me my list of tasks to continue on rent free. He asked what I was watching, I said "I have no idea" and we watched the remainder of the episode in silence. He stood in place for nearly 40 minutes. Then he left without a word.
Weeks later, another Friday night and I was again watching Friday Prime. Farscape started and dad entered the room again, asking if it was that weird show. I confirmed and he stood there watching in silence. Halfway through he sat on the bed. When it ended he commented on how different it was from Trek and left.
Weeks passed and dad would come in, watch Farscape and then leave. I think we were halfway through the season and I opted to go out that night and he stopped me at the stairs and asked where I was going, weren't we going to watch Farscape? And I was confused and taken aback but I said yeah, I'll stay for Farscape. I believe there was a small batch of reruns then. When the show came back, Dad started knocking before he entered the room. He'd still sit in silence, but we watched nearly every episode of season one together.

Times passed. I moved out again. I had trouble catching the show weekly. I missed about five episodes of season two in a row. It lowered on my priorities a bit, I figured it would be re run some day. So I went for dinner at my parents one night so they could meet the then girlfriend. It wasn't bad, dad and I didn't talk too much but then he asked what I thought about the last episode of Farscape and I told him I'd missed them. He seemed bummed and we just made small talk. I didn't get back over there for months. I happened to swing by to get some of my stuff from the basement and Dad looked quite pleased to see me. He went to his office and brought back a box of VHS tapes. He'd been taping the show for me. I was again, so shocked. He told me he had all but two of the episodes and when i finished I should should come back so we could discuss the show. From this point I manage to catch every episode and stay current as I find talking with Dad about it is really enjoyable.

More time passed. Farscape is cancelled. Dad and I talked a bit about it, he was really bummed but that's how it goes. I don't recall the exact amount of time but one day I get an excited call from him because John is now on Stargate! Dad LOVED Stargate, I'd started watching SG1 because of him. It gave us something else goofy to talk about. And I'm finding that we're not just talking about tv, but our lives and how things are going. The Peacekeeper Wars mini airs and Dad and I talked for hours about it on multiple visits. Then he left my mother and a lot of the animosity and anger came back. We didn't talk for ages. At random, I flipped on SyFy and caught a 4 hour block of late episodes and Claudia Black is there and Ben Browder is there and it feels so right and I call dad and we get lunch and it's all just good.

Years later I talk to my dad all the time. He drops by to see how life is. He was incredibly supportive of my wife and I when we were financially struggling years ago. He's always just there if I need him, always around to bounce ideas off of.

I know this sounds really stupid but Farscape saved my relationship with my father. This insane, stupid, wonderful show was exactly what he and I needed to bridge the gulf between us. It's my favorite show for a lot of reasons but that's the most important one.

Pretty much my entire life has been defined by my love of fictional worlds and this isn't the only time it's helped me heal traumas and relationships. I even worked a couple things into my marriage vows that maybe two people in attendance understood.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Absent a smart marketing push from the CBS/Paramount, a high detail photoresin 3d printer is now just north of 200 bucks, and will let you download and print all the geegaws and tchotchkes your heart could ever want. I love my Anycubic Photon (and I bought it when they were almost twice as much).

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/kurlan-naiskos-69a60d7f9e36432c9310f30c4f914033

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Rhyno posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and share my goofy Farscape post

Pretty much my entire life has been defined by my love of fictional worlds and this isn't the only time it's helped me heal traumas and relationships. I even worked a couple things into my marriage vows that maybe two people in attendance understood.

That brought a tear to my eye. Thank you for sharing it. Had sort of same thing with my dad in his last years over cars and hard rock.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Absent a smart marketing push from the CBS/Paramount, a high detail photoresin 3d printer is now just north of 200 bucks, and will let you download and print all the geegaws and tchotchkes your heart could ever want. I love my Anycubic Photon (and I bought it when they were almost twice as much).

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/kurlan-naiskos-69a60d7f9e36432c9310f30c4f914033

Sometimes I think that someone starting a decent bootleg 3D printed models business through China might catch their attention and they will know that a decent genuine stuff is in quite a demand.
At least combadges, tricorders and such.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 29, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you're a kid today, outside of parental influence, how do you even get into Star Trek? There hasn't been a kid-accessible series in decades, and basically you have SD reruns on Spike TV or whatever that you aren't going to watch. If you go see the JJ movies and like those, and then try to watch TOS....

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, I used to rush home from elementary school to catch syndicated reruns of TNG every day at 4. I can not picture a kid today doing the same thing for STD, much less Picard. I don't have kids, so I have no idea what they're into but I imagine they're not that exited about TV as a medium.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

zoux posted:

If you're a kid today, outside of parental influence, how do you even get into Star Trek? There hasn't been a kid-accessible series in decades, and basically you have SD reruns on Spike TV or whatever that you aren't going to watch. If you go see the JJ movies and like those, and then try to watch TOS....

I don't have a lot of faith in post-2000 Trek in general, but maybe Lower Decks could be just such a gateway drug?

The completely cynical answer is they need a "Baby Yoda" as the marshmallow around the heart worm pill that is dry science fiction that often involves lengthy scenes of middle aged and old men pontificating on Space Ethics. I could not get my kids to give a HECK about the "boring" old movies until The Mandalorian came out, and it got them excited enough to want to watch more stuff after the season was over.

I don't know what that would look like in Trek. I think Wesley was meant to be that in TNG, but honestly as a kid I didn't need a self-insert, I identified with and wanted to be the wise and bold captain or the cunning first officer, not the precocious kid they let have a little time at the helm, as a treat.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
As a kid, Data appealed to me most. He made my dumb six year old rear end laugh a lot. Also it helped I was obsessed with anything space or astronomy related.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
My Marvel and Star Wars obsessed nephews don't seem to be aware of Star Trek at all.

One of them saw the Enterprise D model I have and said that looks like a pretty comfortable ship. :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

Yeah, I used to rush home from elementary school to catch syndicated reruns of TNG every day at 4. I can not picture a kid today doing the same thing for STD, much less Picard. I don't have kids, so I have no idea what they're into but I imagine they're not that exited about TV as a medium.

If I were 11 right now, I could see me getting insanely into the MCU, I dunno how sober discussions of sci fi philosophy can compete with that.

Fornax Disaster posted:

My Marvel and Star Wars obsessed nephews don't seem to be aware of Star Trek at all.

One of them saw the Enterprise D model I have and said that looks like a pretty comfortable ship. :v:

Yeah it's a Buick, down to the wood-grain panelling.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I don't have a lot of faith in post-2000 Trek in general, but maybe Lower Decks could be just such a gateway drug?

The completely cynical answer is they need a "Baby Yoda" as the marshmallow around the heart worm pill that is dry science fiction that often involves lengthy scenes of middle aged and old men pontificating on Space Ethics. I could not get my kids to give a HECK about the "boring" old movies until The Mandalorian came out, and it got them excited enough to want to watch more stuff after the season was over.

I don't know what that would look like in Trek. I think Wesley was meant to be that in TNG, but honestly as a kid I didn't need a self-insert, I identified with and wanted to be the wise and bold captain or the cunning first officer, not the precocious kid they let have a little time at the helm, as a treat.

Lol I was watching the first Borg meeting clip from Q Who yesterday and they cut to Wesley sitting in the conn and I instantly thought "Man that was a stupid loving idea huh"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There once was a woman from Venus
Whose body was shaped like a p-
DATA!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Yeah it's a Buick, down to the wood-grain panelling.

These are the voyages of the Starship Le Sabre.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Last issue of the comic tie-in came out today, and it really feels like they had more story planned and then an editor said "you're getting 3 issues, so we're cutting the second act altogether".

Picard's crew retake the ship basically off-screen, Zhaban turns heel and back again in like 3 pages, and there's a surprise 'Picard pulled some strings with a foreign power' thing like in The Defector that isn't really set up ahead of time. It was kind of a trip reading it now knowing that Laris has an Irish accent, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also watching the first Borg encounter when they take a core sample of decks 4-6 - aren't those like family housing? I was a fairly anxious kid, I cannot imagine the anxiety of living on the Starship Enterprise as this week's god-like entity decides to see what if we all turned inside out.

I assume the Odyssey off-loaded its civilian passengers before going to loving war with the Dominion but who thought putting children on deep space exploration ships was a good idea