Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bird with big dick posted:

Will question:

Is it possible for a couple to write up a will that it's legally impossible to change after one of them dies? My dad remarried a younger/healthier woman like 15 years ago and IIRC told everyone that they wrote up a will such that everything got split 50/50 between her kids and his kids when the second of them died and it couldn't be changed so that, e.g., if he died a year later she couldn't stiff his kids on the estate. This was a fairly reasonable thing to consider given my father's propensity for smoking Marlboro reds, drinking straight tequila, and eating lard products but the odds have been defied and he's still truckin along at 78 and she died from cancer 8 years ago.

But even if it's true it also seems maybe pointless unless they wrote something in that prevented gifting the estate a way a chunk at a time over a decade? I dunno.

I suspect that none of it was true and he just told people this (either unprompted or because one of my sisters flat out told him he should consider the possibility) to keep anyone from hassling him.

The reason it came up is because apparently he told one of my sisters that he was considering revising his will so that it wasn't split 50/50 anymore because he has a decent pension so his net worth is still increasing and he doesn't really see the need to give her kids half of money that he "earned" 10 years after she passed. I'd ask him but tbh we don't talk that much, he's not quite as sharp as he used to be so he might not even really remember the actual details, plus he's always been the type to "spin yarns" i.e. make poo poo up for no reason.

Theoretically possible sortof if the wills set up a trust or something but he's probably bullshitting or confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Real question on recording chat:

Do the restrictions apply to areas without an expectation of privacy (i.e. not a phone call)?

One concern I have with getting a dash cam is, for example, leaving it recording something at a mechanic or something when I'm not present (nominally on accident, but on purpose as well). Follow-up would be whether there is a difference between video and audio (some dash cams record audio as well).

I'm in NC US, but I'm also curious if this varies by state.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 25, 2020

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

bird with big dick posted:

Will question:

Is it possible for a couple to write up a will that it's legally impossible to change after one of them dies? My dad remarried a younger/healthier woman like 15 years ago and IIRC told everyone that they wrote up a will such that everything got split 50/50 between her kids and his kids when the second of them died and it couldn't be changed so that, e.g., if he died a year later she couldn't stiff his kids on the estate. This was a fairly reasonable thing to consider given my father's propensity for smoking Marlboro reds, drinking straight tequila, and eating lard products but the odds have been defied and he's still truckin along at 78 and she died from cancer 8 years ago.

But even if it's true it also seems maybe pointless unless they wrote something in that prevented gifting the estate a way a chunk at a time over a decade? I dunno.

I suspect that none of it was true and he just told people this (either unprompted or because one of my sisters flat out told him he should consider the possibility) to keep anyone from hassling him.

The reason it came up is because apparently he told one of my sisters that he was considering revising his will so that it wasn't split 50/50 anymore because he has a decent pension so his net worth is still increasing and he doesn't really see the need to give her kids half of money that he "earned" 10 years after she passed. I'd ask him but tbh we don't talk that much, he's not quite as sharp as he used to be so he might not even really remember the actual details, plus he's always been the type to "spin yarns" i.e. make poo poo up for no reason.

Yes. It's called an inheritance pact and can only be changed by a judge once it's made (for a very limited number of reasons), or the inheritors (beneficiaries of an inheritance pact) consent or are dead. It has a bunch of limitations, and it can't overrule the right to undivided estate between spouses, unless that has been expressly waived or prenup'd away.

It's also impossible to change a mutual will in an undivided estate after the death of the first deceased spouse.

Oh yeah and you have to be norwegian, does that matter?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yes. It's called an inheritance pact and can only be changed by a judge once it's made (for a very limited number of reasons), or the inheritors (beneficiaries of an inheritance pact) consent or are dead. It has a bunch of limitations, and it can't overrule the right to undivided estate between spouses, unless that has been expressly waived or prenup'd away.

It's also impossible to change a mutual will in an undivided estate after the death of the first deceased spouse.

Oh yeah and you have to be norwegian, does that matter?

Sounds worse than gavelkind.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

owlhawk911 posted:

are you hiring? would an iroc-z be acceptable if my mullet is rad enough?

An IROC Z is pretty awesome, but needs to have a T top so your mane can blow..Does yours have a T top?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

sullat posted:

Sounds worse than gavelkind.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

FrozenVent posted:

Your loving lawyer, that you loving pay to answer your loving legal questions, loving told you not to loving do it, you loving idiot.

Seconding this for new thread title.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

therobit posted:

An IROC Z is pretty awesome, but needs to have a T top so your mane can blow..Does yours have a T top?

why did they even bother making camaros without t-tops? like.. what's even the point?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Maybe. What State are you in?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The Bart, the.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

owlhawk911 posted:

why did they even bother making camaros without t-tops? like.. what's even the point?

T-tops tend to add more weight to a car. And they lose some rigidity so the handling is a bit poorer. They also tend be heat sinks in the summer and let out all of the heat in winter. They look cool but they basically make the car worse by a lot of metrics. Also the contract for owning a t-top Camaro has a legal requirement of growing your hair into a mullet or growing a rat tail. And some people are bald. So non t-top Camaros exist.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thomamelas posted:

T-tops tend to add more weight to a car. And they lose some rigidity so the handling is a bit poorer. They also tend be heat sinks in the summer and let out all of the heat in winter. They look cool but they basically make the car worse by a lot of metrics. Also the contract for owning a t-top Camaro has a legal requirement of growing your hair into a mullet or growing a rat tail. And some people are bald. So non t-top Camaros exist.

Those are very reasonable, well thought out points. Unfortunately they are all completely invalid because:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Motronic posted:

Those are very reasonable, well thought out points. Unfortunately they are all completely invalid because:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Motronic posted:

IT IS SO ORDERED

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Motronic posted:

As a lawyer, I approve this message as true legal advice that is malpractice proof.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Motronic posted:

exactly. all of those things are good reasons they make other cars, none of them are a good reason for a camaro to come without t-tops

"hey guys check out my camaro. no it doesn't have t-tops, i prefer lighter weight better handling and a more controllable cabin temperature" smdh

for those who do not meet the statutory hairstyle requirements for camaro ownership, i recommend pursuing other "bitchin" lifestyle choices such as electric guitar, alcoholism, and jean shorts. while these actions may or may not precipitate mullet growth, you can in most jurisdictions petition the court to accept them as alternative forms of proof that you are in fact a bad enough dude to rock a t-top. i saw a bald man with aviators and a too-tight black t-shirt drive right past a cop with the t-tops off once, and he didn't even get pulled over

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

owlhawk911 posted:

exactly. all of those things are good reasons they make other cars, none of them are a good reason for a camaro to come without t-tops

"hey guys check out my camaro. no it doesn't have t-tops, i prefer lighter weight better handling and a more controllable cabin temperature" smdh

for those who do not meet the statutory hairstyle requirements for camaro ownership, i recommend pursuing other "bitchin" lifestyle choices such as electric guitar, alcoholism, and jean shorts. while these actions may or may not precipitate mullet growth, you can in most jurisdictions petition the court to accept them as alternative forms of proof that you are in fact a bad enough dude to rock a t-top. i saw a bald man with aviators and a too-tight black t-shirt drive right past a cop with the t-tops off once, and he didn't even get pulled over

Yeah, if you don't want T tops, buy a corvette I guess.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm hearing reports you can achieve a t-top experience using nothing but a Toyota corolla and an angle grinder.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

owlhawk911 posted:

"hey guys check out my camaro. no it doesn't have t-tops, i prefer lighter weight better handling and a more controllable cabin temperature" stdh

I can't decide between:

quote:

"hey guys check out my camaro. no it doesn't have t-tops, i prefer lighter weight better handling and a more controllable cabin temperature" stdh
Fixed.

and:

I CAN'T HEAR A THING YOU'RE SAYING! THE DASH IS RATTLING TOO LOUDLY!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

joat mon posted:

I CAN'T HEAR A THING YOU'RE SAYING! THE DASH IS RATTLING TOO LOUDLY!

This means that your Whitesnake tape is broken or perhaps you haven't turned it up to proper t-top volume. It also means that you have failed to install bitchin exhaust.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I've got jury duty!?

At least I might be in the pool this Thursday. I won't know till I call in again tomorrow.

Brief googling says bring a paperback since I can't have a phone and wear business casual.

Yes/no on that and any other pro tips?

Only other question, I'm fine with doing this for a few days. Civic duty and all that. I could survive a week. 2 would start to suck a lot. More would ruin me. Can claiming it would cause a financial hardship be time dependant?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Wear comfortable clothing since you’ll probably just sit/stand around for most of it. I’ve never seen a court not let jury members have phones but that is probably court dependent, so it’s a good idea to bring an alternative something to do

Just show up, don’t be a jackass, answer questions truthfully (because you are not smarter than the attorneys or judges), and roll with the punches. The chances of you being on a jury trial that actually goes to trial, let alone lasts more than a few days at most, are pretty small

And eat breakfast because who the gently caress knows about lunch during these things

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

honda whisperer posted:

I've got jury duty!?

At least I might be in the pool this Thursday. I won't know till I call in again tomorrow.

Brief googling says bring a paperback since I can't have a phone and wear business casual.

Only other question, I'm fine with doing this for a few days. Civic duty and all that. I could survive a week. 2 would start to suck a lot. More would ruin me. Can claiming it would cause a financial hardship be time dependant?

Sir, this is the T-Top thread.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The range of numbers called, and your position in it, can be useful information regarding the likelihood you're going to actually do anything other than wait.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
If you rant like a crazy person during voir dire and say that you don’t and can never trust the court system or the cops and think all personal injury claimants are faking and all lawyers are liars they will dismiss you for sure.

There’s also a chance this strategy will land you in jail for contempt for the night so it’s only for the true gamblers out there.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If you rant like a crazy person during voir dire and say that you don’t and can never trust the court system or the cops and think all personal injury claimants are faking and all lawyers are liars they will dismiss you for sure.

There’s also a chance this strategy will land you in jail for contempt for the night so it’s only for the true gamblers out there.

Well the other poster did say to answer honestly

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

honda whisperer posted:

I've got jury duty!?

WHY IS YOUR NAME 'HONDA WHISPERER' BUT YOUR PICTURE IS A MAZDA ENGINE, that's grounds for immediate disqualification from the jury pool

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blarzgh posted:

WHY IS YOUR NAME 'HONDA WHISPERER' BUT YOUR PICTURE IS A MAZDA ENGINE, that's grounds for immediate disqualification from the jury pool

OH MY GOD, BLARZGH, YOU CAN'T JUST ASK PEOPLE WHY THEY'RE WANKEL.

:spergin: A16 CRX prototype :colbert:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
In voir dire:

DA: Is there anyone who thinks for some reason they wouldn't be a good juror?
Other juror: Yeah, I just don't really care...
Judge: You don't care? :crossarms:
OJ: I just don't think I could make a good decision, it's not my business, so I don't think I care enough.
Judge: Why wouldn't you care? This is serious business.

After lunch, I was dismissed. They were not.

A book isn't a bad idea. I spent most of my day in voir dire, so I didn't get much out of my kindle.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
What about mentioning the concept of jury nullification? Isn't that a surefire way to not get picked?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ancillary Character posted:

What about mentioning the concept of jury nullification? Isn't that a surefire way to not get picked?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Re jury duty: how lenient are courts typically with stay-at-home parents?

I was very confused when my brother couldn't (or maybe didn't try to) get a dismissal or postponement of a 2-week jury duty stint. He's a SAHD for a set of twins, so he was scrambling to organize care (wife is a teacher and it was holidays, so the 1st week was covered at least), but I can't imagine he's the only person to encounter this.

Everyone got dismissed the 2nd day or something so it ended up being moot, but shouldn't he have had a clear case to be postponed or even dismissed without even having to show up on day 1?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Its fact and judge specific as related to whatever exemptions are allowed where you live. The judge probably thought he could get someone to watch his kids. Jury duty is a burden in some form on like 90% of the people that have to do it

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
That's interesting. I understand that most people are burdened by jury duty, but I would figure being a stay-at-home parent is pretty high on the list of valid reasons to be excused.

Kind of a follow-up, what do most people cite as the reason they can't serve (successful or not, interested in both actual reasons and for purposes of schadenfreude for those who thought they could BS their way out of it)?

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 29, 2020

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Most people don't actually try that hard to get out of Jury Duty. Good Judges start the panel by explaining that they know its a huge burden, but the system needs jurors to work, and that everyone in the room is missing work, travel, etc. etc.

In Texas we have a specific exemption for a juror who's the primary caregiver for children under 12, when the parent doesn't have access to adequate supervision

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
In my experience we might send prospective jurors down the hall to another courtroom if a trial of a different length is starting. So we facilitate someone with child care issues to sit on a dui jury, but maybe skip out on the 5 week double homicide.

We had a night shift worker fall asleep during jury selection once. He was gung-ho and we were going to leave him on, but after the third day of him sleeping the judge excused him. I also had a judge once refuse to excuse a guy who brought his three month old infant to court. So we had a screaming baby in the box, clearly needing a diaper change. The judge just shrugged and said "if I allowed that as an excuse then everyone would do it to get out." That judge was a dick though, so ymmv.

My favorite line is "you are citizens, not subjects. This is the most direct participation in your democracy you will ever have, and is a responsibility of every citizen."

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I would love to participate on a jury but I've only been called once, 12 years ago, and I didn't get selected.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

I would love to participate on a jury but I've only been called once, 12 years ago, and I didn't get selected.

Yep. I got picked and even got into the court room to hear about the case and thought it'd be interesting. They picked like 30 ppl and asked some basic general disqualification questions to the people there. Like are you related to either party or attorney, do you have any spesific reason why you feel you can't be fair in this kind of case. Then they said okay this is the group have a nice day other jurors..

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

That's interesting. I understand that most people are burdened by jury duty, but I would figure being a stay-at-home parent is pretty high on the list of valid reasons to be excused.

Kind of a follow-up, what do most people cite as the reason they can't serve (successful or not, interested in both actual reasons and for purposes of schadenfreude for those who thought they could BS their way out of it)?

Usually an actual exemption, if you can’t do that ahead of time. For cause strikes depend a lot on the case and the person. Truthfully or not I suspect a lot of people probably state that they can’t agree with some requirement of the case. In criminal for example, they’ll ask you about how you view cop testimony, whether you think people at trial are likely to be guilty because they’re at trial, can you fairly evaluate a he-said-she-said case, etc. in civil they’ll ask if you can be impartial to certain parties (like do you hate insurance companies or debt collectors or whoever). In both they’ll ask if you can abide by the standard of the case, ie beyond reasonable doubt, clear and convincing or whatever

Some people will, truthful or not, say they can’t be impartial/agree with some aspect. But when pushed most people will say they can be fair, bc most people don’t want others, even strangers they’ll never see again, to think they’re unreasonable. Or the judge will threaten the panel at the beginning.

tater_salad posted:

Yep. I got picked and even got into the court room to hear about the case and thought it'd be interesting. They picked like 30 ppl and asked some basic general disqualification questions to the people there. Like are you related to either party or attorney, do you have any spesific reason why you feel you can't be fair in this kind of case. Then they said okay this is the group have a nice day other jurors..

That seems like a quick and lazy voir dire. A lot of attorneys will say that picking a jury is their favorite part of trial because we all think we’re the smartest person in the room and playing armchair psychologists just feeds into our narcissism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I was called for jury duty and the case was about child molestation charges years after the abuse would have happened, the guy with the biggest brain said he required physical evidence in order to be convinced. He was removed.

I made it through everything and was literally next in line to be selected when they had thier 12 people for the jury, thank god. Other than a couple forms I was never asked anything though there were a few "raise your hand if you believe that children can lie" kind of questions posed to everyone.