Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Luckyellow posted:

Wait, is it actually totally possible for a virus to specifically favor a race over other? I have no idea, that's a mind blowing thing if true.

https://academic.oup.com/ije/article/32/1/26/642800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/StephenMcDonell/status/1222545897705410560?s=20

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1222544591708217344

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1222549240792088576

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
A Chinese tourist in Finland has been confirmed to be infected with the coronavirus.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/finlands_first_coronavirus_case_confirmed_in_lapland/11182855

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Luckyellow posted:

I didn't mean to use 'race's but that's super interesting. I always figured that a subsection of a population was susceptible to disease due to their income levels and diets following from the restriction of their income plus genetic diseases that's passed down but that they would actually have some resistance or weakness to a external virus is just something I just learned today.

Just making sure it's clear that using 'race' here obfuscates the source of genetic difference, a misconception that racists love to use in their stupid rhetoric. Wasn't a dig at you specifically, I understood what you wanted to ask.

And yes, resistance is usually thought to be either a fortunate random mutation (just like genetic diseases are unfortunate ones, and there's a lot more unfortunate than fortunate mutations possible so you mostly see problems, not resistances), or a mutation in response to a specific event that exerts pressure on a population, like the smallpox causing HIV immunity by accident. Lactose tolerance is a mutation of a gene that disabled the function that turns off lactase production after breastfeeding ends - for normal mammals, lactase is completely useless after breastfeeding ends. We are the only organism that drinks other species' milk in adulthood in large quantities, but that we even can do it is just complete luck.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 29, 2020

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

edit: removed fake news tweet after reading the linked article

sorry

Burn Zone fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 29, 2020

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love
My CEO just sent out a company-wide email telling everyone to not panic about coronavirus because absolutely none of our employees or clients have traveled to China in recent weeks.

My coworker who sits 4 feet away just got back from Shanghai late last week. :downsgun:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Luckyellow posted:

I didn't mean to use 'race's but that's super interesting. I always figured that a subsection of a population was susceptible to disease due to their income levels and diets following from the restriction of their income plus genetic diseases that's passed down but that they would actually have some resistance or weakness to a external virus is just something I just learned today.
A historical example of NOT having resistance would be the Americas almost getting depopulated by multiple waves of disease just wrecking populations that had never had to contend with them, though obviously there are very few populations today that remain so isolated that they've not been through a similar gauntlet.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pump Jockey posted:

My CEO just sent out a company-wide email telling everyone to not panic about coronavirus because absolutely none of our employees or clients have traveled to China in recent weeks.

My coworker who sits 4 feet away just got back from Shanghai late last week. :downsgun:

:rip:

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Pump Jockey posted:

Mass reply to your coworkers using an anon email letting this be known

Watch the fun

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pump Jockey posted:

They traveled from China. Your CEO was correct, there's no reason to worry about any of your employees dying from the corona virus in China.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

MorrisBae posted:

Mass reply to your coworkers using an anon email letting this be known

Watch the fun

Some workplace anarchy, me gusta

Maybe don't word it as "a guy who sits 4 feet from me" if you wanna stay anonymous, though

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A historical example of NOT having resistance would be the Americas almost getting depopulated by multiple waves of disease just wrecking populations that had never had to contend with them, though obviously there are very few populations today that remain so isolated that they've not been through a similar gauntlet.

This has a lot to do with the way the viruses themselves mutated, as most resistance would have been acquired, not inherited, but yes, it's the same principle - it's the viruses being spectacularly good in certain populations

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

lord funk posted:

Got driven to the grocery store today by a community vehicle. We got our temperature taken before getting in, and again at the entrance of the supermarket. Everyone is wearing a mask. And then... normal shopping. People are totally calm. I'm not sure I agree with that long post about Chinese people being susceptible to mass panic. People here in Wuhan at least are pretty pragmatic, and in my neighborhood everyone is totally normal (minus everything being closed, and the 100% mask rate).

I know someone on the plane that landed in AK. She decided to get on because she had a young kid. I know you all are joking about them bringing the virus, but she had to be at the airport at 6am to get tested all day for a 10pm flight. That plane is probably the least infected place on earth.

Jesus that's a long time to be stuck at an airport. And word, thanks for updating us. I think part of it is all the headlines like "CHINA INCREASINGLY ISOLATED" and poo poo like that.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

And as a final shitpost, I encourage people to read about how loving utterly metal the immune system is, and just how inconceivable it is that it's so effective. It's a machine to win a genetic arms race in a week where the opponent has been preparing for generations.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

r2 :eng99:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Pump Jockey posted:

we have a very large office in china with many chinese nationals working in this stateside office - depending on how this plays out i'm pretty resigned to catching it at some point

edit: this is good tho

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1222561942897922049

Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 29, 2020

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
https://twitter.com/ktnv/status/1222561892981297153

:lol:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/dmgr_/status/1222518376540659712?s=20

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

hosed up stuff is happening:

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Didn't they try and deny it last night

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

dex_sda posted:

And as a final shitpost, I encourage people to read about how loving utterly metal the immune system is, and just how inconceivable it is that it's so effective. It's a machine to win a genetic arms race in a week where the opponent has been preparing for generations.

it sure sucks rear end when your immune system decides it wants to cause a ruckus when there's no threat tho

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

this happens because the twitter algorithm wants to keep the trending hashtag fresh (unless they maybe manually allow it) hashtags are eventually pushed off the trending list no matter how popular they are. To get around this, people sometimes spell the old tag slightly wrong

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/CoronaVUpdates/status/1222124316244041728?s=20

https://twitter.com/ANCALERTS/status/1222418931085914112?s=20

First death outside of China?

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

FRINGE posted:

Im sure you like talking about trains and exact figures of laid train tracks, but the perspective on cultural reactions to things is worthwhile. I had no idea about the fetishization of IVs for example.

The point is China is a rapidly changing place and the perspective of someone who lived there a decade ago is like talking to someone who lived in the US 30 years ago about what it's like there now. I picked trains because it's the most glaring example of that change.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

hosed up. also 1st guy can open his door that much he can probably pop the pins on the door hinge

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

Dunno how legitimate this study is -- it looks like they only tested eight people. Preprint so it's not peer reviewed.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.26.919985v1.full

so wait this disease is racist against asian people

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

I think this one was reported early this morning. 29 year old guy with HIV.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

More like misandrist. Corona-chan will bring us paradise by killing all men! :peanut: :killing:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Wow it has a lot in common with my Uncle Jerry

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

yeah this is really hosed up how bad does it have to be before you start doing poo poo like this or is it panic

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

yeah this is really hosed up how bad does it have to be before you start doing poo poo like this or is it panic

the badness comes from the panic tbh

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bullfrog posted:

the badness comes from the panic tbh

Contagion was a documentary.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Doorknob Slobber posted:

definitely panic

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1222568090006745088

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
apparently all the people on that plane to California have so far passed four different screenings, two before leaving the airport and two more by the CDC in Alaska. I would expect they'll still be quarantined for two weeks since that seems to be becoming standard for at-risk people exiting China

the WHO has done another press conference, says they're highly concerned about the cases of transmission outside of China and that's why they're reconvening to discuss declaring a global emergency, but also that many (most?) people who get the virus only have mild symptoms and they estimate the death rate at about 2% (compared to 10% for SARS)

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

SKULL.GIF posted:

Dunno how legitimate this study is -- it looks like they only tested eight people. Preprint so it's not peer reviewed.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.26.919985v1.full

Schnorkles posted:

one of the things that happens in situations like this is you get a bunch of initial assertions being flung around with limited information. This is not a bad thing! They're coming up with studies and tests and trying to get information out there as quickly as possible for the rest of the scientific community to test.

A study of 8 people is absolutely not large enough to make any sort of population based claims, but I don't think that's the purpose here. They're saying "here are some interesting observations from the data we have in front of us, go try it yourself and see what happens."

I agree with you that they are only trying to show some interesting things.

That said for a bit of clarity why 8 people is not completely ridiculous for this paper. They use the Mann-Whitney U test for small samples, which does pair wise comparison of probability that one is 'more' or 'less' than the other (the test requires the samples be independent and have some order, i.e you can tell when one is more than the other). The null hypothesis is that the samples have similar distributions with the alternative that they do not So the sample is actually 28 pairs of people vs 8 people. To see the statistical power of pairwise comparison see birthday paradox.

They don't try to make very hard conclusions about what this means so this all seems fine.

pigz fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

maybe just that 1 guy. That study is more like a suggestion for someone to do a real study.