Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CommonShore posted:

YES

THE DOCTOR ARGUES WITH A MONKEY FOR 17 MINUTES AND THEN IT TURNED OUT THE MONKEY WAS ACTUALLY DEAD

Did you just spoil the new David Lynch netflix thing? I guess it's my fault for not watching it yet, but damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wheezle posted:

What if it's Martha Jones and also a Rutan?

We have a spoiler thread for a reason! :gonk:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the multiple timelines or dimensions or whatever arc will culminate in there actually being like ten different Lone Cybermen who all want completely opposing things, and the Doctor(s) must determine which Lone Cyberman is the one Jack was talking about

edit: one lone cyberman from every cyberman type/origin we've seen and then +a couple new ones for flavor

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

She asks them why they must survive, and they all give very good reasons except for one that simply says,"WE MUZZZZZT!" and that's how she figures out which one is the right one.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Open Source Idiom posted:

I hope either it's something morally awful, like not giving the One Good Cyberman a hug or a treaty or a holiday house or something, or just something really ridiculous, like Bundt Cake. In order to bring attention to the fact that our lives are meaningless and random tangle of interesting arbitrary events. Obviously.

A bundt cake? Pfffft, that's absurd.

Clearly Peter Davison is gonna show up and make a Well-Prepared Meal.

Which Handles can't eat because he doesn't have a body.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

marktheando posted:

Did you just spoil the new David Lynch netflix thing? I guess it's my fault for not watching it yet, but damnit.

No I didn't

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CommonShore posted:

No I didn't

Oh good.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Lone Cyberman theories:

Maximum Chib: The Brigadier
Maximum Moff: Bill
Maximum Fanwank: Davros
Maximum WTF: Omega
Maximum huh: Susan
Maximum crossover: voiced by Sir Patrick Stewart
Maximum New Adventures: Ace

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Maximum EDA: Fitz

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Maximum VNA: All the men that Ace shagged because she was totally straight.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Maximum Meta: Chris Chibnall

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They should do another sexy cyberman

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Maximum Derek: Derek

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Grillfiend posted:

Maximum Derek: Derek

The Doctor unironically calling the companions her “chili babies”.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm glad I saw this blind because that was amazing

Jack smooching Graham might be the highlight of 13's run for me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jack's return was spoiled for me and that sucked but the twist reveal was not so that was pretty cool. They better not fumble the goddamned ball on this.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait for the reveal of the Master disguising himself as the Doctor

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The_Doctor posted:

Maximum EDA: Fitz

YESSSSSSSSS high five!

(My husband and I were whole hog into EDA books when I adopted my cat in 2003 during the wilderness years, and named him Fitz because I liked the character so much. After 17 years, he responds to his name quite well, so watching an episode where they say "Fitz" all the time would be hilarious, he'd probably meow thru the whole thing.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CommonShore posted:

No I didn't

The new Netflix thing actually spoiled us, and it turns out we're the season finale of Doctor Who, which we've already watched.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Chokes McGee posted:

The new Netflix thing actually spoiled us, and it turns out we're the season finale of Doctor Who, which we've already watched.

We are the dreamer who dreams and then lives inside the dream...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Didn't get to watch the new episode until last night. Really sucks that io9 spoiled the big twist in two separate story headlines. (They also spoiled a guest returning in another headline) They probably should have waited at least a week or had the spoilers within one of the 4 stories they put out on the episode.

Fun episode, sad Jack won't be back this season. Curious to see where this season is going, wish they would develop companions a bit more this season but it's still easily better than the Capaldi or late Smith eras.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Heh, the hexagonal mirror.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So if you could only get Jack for one scene this season why the Hell NOT have him meet the new Doctor? What kinda tease is that?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Didn't get to watch the new episode until last night. Really sucks that io9 spoiled the big twist in two separate story headlines. (They also spoiled a guest returning in another headline) They probably should have waited at least a week or had the spoilers within one of the 4 stories they put out on the episode.

You can kinda see why the BBC only sent out the episode to reviewers an hour before it aired.

A friend of mine sadly told me that they'd been spoiled on the episode before they got the chance to see it, and they already knew that Captain Jack was back.
One batshit insane episode of Doctor Who later
:supaburn:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

That was a great episode. I managed to avoid spoilers, so going ”wait, that’s a familiar voice. Really familiar... holy poo poo, is it...” and thinking that was the Huge Thing... oh man, it was so much fun.

Can’t wait to see where this goes!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Has anyone analyzed what the voices speaking to Ruth before she smashes the glass are saying? The audio is pretty bad on the BBCA app, I couldn’t make any of it out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm pretty sure it is just,"Break the glass, follow the light" repeated.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
At first it sounded like the Master's laughter

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I like how they made a big deal about how two of the same timelords can't exist in the same time when what last episode the master lived through the past century overlapping himself dozens of times.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What if one is the Galifrey that we saw frozen in a pocket dimension in Day of the Doctor and the other isn't?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The General from Day of the Doctor appears in Hell Bent so I'd assume that the Time Lords figured their way out of the pocket dimension and that's the Gallifrey we've seen in the show since that point. But then again, we're talking about Doctor Who here so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wiv0_w1QBcI&t=41s

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

There's no St John Ambulance sticker on Doctor Ruth's TARDIS.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It bugs me that 13's TARDIS doesn't have it either :smith:

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Jerusalem posted:

It bugs me that 13's TARDIS doesn't have it either :smith:

So, if we're thinking like an archaeologist (hey, I get to use my undergrad today!) and thinking about the sticker for dating purposes, it would be after Hatnell/first Doctor, right?

Unless the production team said, "gently caress it, we can do what we want!" and it doesn't matter.

But if the lack of sticker placement is accurate, and Doctor Ruth truly did not recognize the term "sonic screwdriver", we're probably placing between Hartnell and Troughton.

Good lord, this is the nerdiest thing I've written in a long while.

Bonus Round: Apparently, one of the meanings of the name "Ruth" is "companion".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

basicblack posted:

So, if we're thinking like an archaeologist (hey, I get to use my undergrad today!) and thinking about the sticker for dating purposes, it would be after Hatnell/first Doctor, right?

Unless the production team said, "gently caress it, we can do what we want!" and it doesn't matter.

But if the lack of sticker placement is accurate, and Doctor Ruth truly did not recognize the term "sonic screwdriver", we're probably placing between Hartnell and Troughton.

Good lord, this is the nerdiest thing I've written in a long while.

Bonus Round: Apparently, one of the meanings of the name "Ruth" is "companion".

Or possibly, if a divergent timeline situation is true, some kind of alternate Hartnell. The timeline forking after the TARDIS gets its iconic shape (the light on top, I believe, would put it as a Hartnell TARDIS) but before the Doctor learns what a Saint John's Ambulance is enough to put it on manually. Because it's too specific a decal, too unlike other police boxes, for the chameleon circuit to have done it itself.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 30, 2020

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Rhyno posted:

Jack's return was spoiled for me and that sucked but the twist reveal was not so that was pretty cool. They better not fumble the goddamned ball on this.

I got spoiled by the official YouTube channel right on the homepage.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

It went by so quick but it was so good:

Ruth: Is there even a word for how dumb you are?

13: Doctor?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mentioned it before but Barrowman was injured a while back, maybe that's why he couldn't come back this season?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They could be just lying about B. Arrowman not coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Rhyno posted:

I mentioned it before but Barrowman was injured a while back, maybe that's why he couldn't come back this season?

Timing seems a little off on that, it was very late November I think.

He seems to be doing better and is continuing to work in the UK currently, so hopefully that bodes well to him having a bigger part next season.