Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

In this case it means that literally every one will want to see what is in there

After that will be a formal notice and then a written demerit and finally disadulation (or whatever the list was from that episode of the office).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1222574326358183939

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Hold your rear end boys the poo poo is about to fly! :jerky:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oh my god yes please

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Sometimes you get the feeling that they might just be in over their heads like some doe-eyed college kid who is trying to buy a lb of heroin from russian mobsters

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

Oh my god yes please

edit: nah

oxsnard fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 29, 2020

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So is Parnas just gonna like hold a press conference there or what. It's not like he can just stroll into the Senate and declare himself a witness.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Parnas said "oh poo poo bolton might sink my chance at immunity, better get to senate and put everyone on blast."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's time for you to pay for your shameless toadeyism, Lindsey.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Google Butt posted:

Yeah seems like an own goal trying so hard to silence Bolton

I've avoided actually believing Bolton would sink [e]Trump[/e - typed 'sanders' for some stupid brainfart reason) for the longest time. It just seems entirely too predictable, every time we think someone close to Trump (or The Party) is going to sink him, they don't. I mean, I've known about Bolton since W-times, and I get that he's not one of the sycophants, but there's gotta be at least one non-sycophant GOP senator (many of them have been 'round since before W too) and we haven't really seen any of them break ranks. And remember the subpoenas? Bolton had no obligation to obey Trump, when he told him not to testify in front of the House. And there was even a court ruling that Bolton could have pointed to, when ignoring Trump and showing up at the House - but Bolton didn't go with it. Bolton said he'd be happy to testify if subpoenaed by the house, he was invited by the house (who avoided subpoenaing him), he didn't show...

Maybe I just coudn't bring myself to hope. Even the other day, when the leak happened, in this thread there was discussion of whether or not Bolton would deliberately cross Trump. The argument was that the book leak was timed too perfect, and the contents too damning, to imagine (at /this/ point) that Bolton wouldn't try to sink Trump. The arguments were solid and convincing, it looked then like Bolton would cross him. Still, I couldn't believe Bolton would 'aim at the king', would actually make a concerted (rather than resigned) effort to sink him.

In truth, the one thing that would convince me is Trump going on a tirade about how awful Bolton is.

And here it is.

Maybe Trump caught wind of Bolton's willingness to make a resigned effort, and Trump's blowing it up in his head. That fits everything. But that's the most 'nothing matters' interpretation I can come to - and Trump's attacks on Bolton aren't going to soften Bolton's willingness to cross Trump.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 29, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Why is this just coming out now?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Why is this just coming out now?

he literally says the reason in his press release

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Uglycat posted:

I've avoided actually believing Bolton would sink sanders for the longest time. It just seems entirely too predictable, every time we think someone close to Trump (or The Party) is going to sink him, they don't. I mean, I've known about Bolton since W-times, and I get that he's not one of the sycophants, but there's gotta be at least one non-sycophant GOP senator (many of them have been 'round since before W too) and we haven't really seen any of them break ranks. And remember the subpoenas? Bolton had no obligation to obey Trump, when he told him not to testify in front of the House. And there was even a court ruling that Bolton could have pointed to, when ignoring Trump and showing up at the House - but Bolton didn't go with it. Bolton said he'd be happy to testify if subpoenaed by the house, he was invited by the house (who avoided subpoenaing him), he didn't show...

Maybe I just coudn't bring myself to hope. Even the other day, when the leak happened, in this thread there was discussion of whether or not Bolton would deliberately cross Trump. The argument was that the book leak was timed too perfect, and the contents too damning, to imagine (at /this/ point) that Bolton wouldn't try to sink Trump. The arguments were solid and convincing, it looked then like Bolton would cross him. Still, I couldn't believe Bolton would 'aim at the king', would actually make a concerted (rather than resigned) effort to sink him.

In truth, the one thing that would convince me is Trump going on a tirade about how awful Bolton is.

And here it is.

Maybe Trump caught wind of Bolton's willingness to make a resigned effort, and Trump's blowing it up in his head. That fits everything. But that's the most 'nothing matters' interpretation I can come to - and Trump's attacks on Bolton aren't going to soften Bolton's willingness to cross Trump.

Do you think Trump's team leaked the manuscript in a misguided attempt to get out in front of it?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

oxsnard posted:

he literally says the reason in his press release

It's a poo poo reason and Elliot Engel is horrible.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ManBoyChef posted:

Do you think Trump's team leaked the manuscript in a misguided attempt to get out in front of it?

That is my guess. I think it was the same kind of thinking like putting the call record out. They figured they could spin the obviously damning news and muddy up Bolton. It goes to show that they people in the White House aren't smart and don't know what they are doing.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh please I won't ask for anything else if Parnas nukes Graham, I'll call this whole thing a win, oh please :f5:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mcmagic posted:

It's a poo poo reason and Elliot Engel is horrible.

yes saving a useful bit of information until it can be deployed to pressure republicans to allow testimony is proof that Engel is horrible

you've figured it all out once again

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hair Furor is getting the Senate circus he so desperately craved. Hope every Republican in office loving chokes on it.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
We've reached a point where it is indisputable, within the political reality (and many in the GOP are operating outside of reality), that the very best move Trump could make for his party, for his nation, and for the senator's he's asking to acquit him - would be for him to resign.

This whole thing ends if he simply resigns, and the whole thing dragging on does not bode well for the GOP at large or the Senators in particular.

When and if the Senator's grok this, they might (privately) try to push for him to consider that option. His (strictly selfish) reaction to having that option suggested will alienate GOP senators and may prompt some to throw him under the bus - but that still seems unlikely.

It's definitely time for a popular movement demanding resignation. If that movement contained a significant number of GOP voices, it might even change the outcome. Such events /could/ be engineered.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oxsnard posted:

hey i saw in another thread you don't have plat. Email me at fourteenwaffles@gmail.com and I'll buy it for you

You are too kind! Sent! Also we made 175 of our first run of Bernie buttons last night!

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Uglycat posted:

We've reached a point where it is indisputable, within the political reality (and many in the GOP are operating outside of reality), that the very best move Trump could make for his party, for his nation, and for the senator's he's asking to acquit him - would be for him to resign.

This whole thing ends if he simply resigns, and the whole thing dragging on does not bode well for the GOP at large or the Senators in particular.

When and if the Senator's grok this, they might (privately) try to push for him to consider that option. His (strictly selfish) reaction to having that option suggested will alienate GOP senators and may prompt some to throw him under the bus - but that still seems unlikely.

It's definitely time for a popular movement demanding resignation. If that movement contained a significant number of GOP voices, it might even change the outcome. Such events /could/ be engineered.

Any GOP senator who attempts to force Trump to resign will be risking his senate career, I suspect. Trump will obviously bloviate about the betrayal on twitter, and his complaining will almost guarantee a primary challenger from the right.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

twice burned ice posted:

Any GOP senator who attempts to force Trump to resign will be risking his senate career, I suspect.

Its quickly getting the point where not forcing trump to resign will be as big a risk. Bolton and parnas under oath implicating senior Republican senators and the president is a nightmare scenario for them.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

twice burned ice posted:

Any GOP senator who attempts to force Trump to resign will be risking his senate career, I suspect. Trump will obviously bloviate about the betrayal on twitter, and his complaining will almost guarantee a primary challenger from the right.

The present circumstance - which is /entirely/ Trump's fault, and would quickly resolve with his resignation - is 'risking' every GOP senator's career. And Trump is toothless, completely incapable of any sort of reprisal. Certainly incapable of a reprisal that's worse than the position he's put those GOP senators at present.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1222580554136260608

lool this is transparently bullshit

i look forward to the FOIA and investigations where we learn how they strongarmed these people into lying in a desperate attempt to stop the book

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I have literally no idea what the gently caress is going on anymore

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1222580554136260608

lool this is transparently bullshit

i look forward to the FOIA and investigations where we learn how they strongarmed these people into lying in a desperate attempt to stop the book

We know Trump is trying to hide evidence inside classification systems, so this is pretty much on point.

But he still doesn't realize classifying something does not prevent it from being released to Congress or Senate committees.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

We know Trump is trying to hide evidence inside classification systems, so this is pretty much on point.

But he still doesn't realize classifying something does not prevent it from being released to Congress or Senate committees.

But that isn't the point he is trying to stop it from getting to the general public or at least delay. Again this is all in the standard Trump playbook.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CommieGIR posted:

so basicaly he burried every illegal action in black marker. loving lol.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

red19fire posted:

I’m paraphrasing another poster but this is exactly why he went bankrupt 4-6 times in the 90s. The real estate development industry in nyc is a small pool of people who all work together to share the risk and rewards of building skyscrapers and other multi million dollar projects. Trump got in through his father’s connections, then proceeded to backstab and screw over everyone he could in order to ‘win’ real estate. This worked for a few years, but eventually no one wanted to work with him because he couldn’t think more than one selfish move ahead.

Here once again we saw trump burning all his capital to ram a rapist through the confirmation process, and shockingly no one wants to stick their neck out for the next doomed project where he will predictably screw over everyone he can if it means furthering his selfish goals.

It’s really just a matter of time until enough GOPers realize they can protect themselves by torching trump first. I can’t wait to see it, his betrayal meltdown before destroying the earth with nukes will be the stuff of legend.

He really is demonstrative proof that the philosophical cancers that are Objectivism, "greed is good," and exclusive self-interest are idiotic and self-defeating. There's a reason humans are social animals and it's not because The Man is holding ubermenschen back

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Djarum posted:

But that isn't the point he is trying to stop it from getting to the general public or at least delay. Again this is all in the standard Trump playbook.

From that point: Yes, he can delay the book.

But it will change little: Large chunks of the info are out there, the Senate is in disarray over it, and they likely will ask for the info. Trump's just delaying, like you said.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Man this is going to be awkward as gently caress. They get to speak, but they can only address the Chief Justice and I guess they get to say who collaborated on the question?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol this is so dumb, they're trying to argue that if there is literally any, quote, 'scintilla of non-personal interest' then it isn't illegal

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol

https://twitter.com/qjurecic/status/1222585616501821440

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Two observations as things kick off in the Senate again today:

1. It strikes me as fairly mental not just that all these sessions have to be preceded by prayer, but that the chaplain explicitly states that God appointed these Senators and they must answer to Him. Rather than, you know, the electorate.
2. Philbin is a real fuckman.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

literally nonsense

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Missing the second half of the sentence "as long as you're a Republican."

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
These arguments about intent are just barking mad.

By this standard Omar from The Wire couldn't possibly commit murder because there's some possibility that he was acting in the public interest.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol this is so dumb, they're trying to argue that if there is literally any, quote, 'scintilla of non-personal interest' then it isn't illegal

If you have an explicit personal motive but later manufacture a shaky public motive it's cool, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol first question is bolton