Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KillHour posted:

Death to all crossovers.

I have a sedan and a minivan in the garage. I kind of wish I could have waited for an RS6Avant.

Dude who asked should check out a Stinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

My parents Honda Element just died. They liked the higher ride and the roomy interior. They’re older, so something they can slide into rather than sit down into is important. They also enjoyed the...let’s say unique styling of the Element.

I don’t have a firm budget for them (and I’ll check back in if they give me one,) but they’re retired and don’t drive much, so I’m assuming keeping the price down would be preferable.

The answer here is the Kia Soul, right?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Can I ask for recommendations here?

I'm mid-30s, and drive a Subaru Forester to my job 30mi away each day. I'm looking for something a little more fun, that's a manual. I live in MA, so I'm guessing it's going to be rusted out. $5k max budget.

Previous cars I've had that were fun as hell - Mk6 GTI, Subaru WRX. I traded these in and got the dad-mobile (Forester) and am itchin for something with a little more pep.

What should I be looking at?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MIATA
IS
ALWAYS
THE
ANSWER

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Boxman posted:

My parents Honda Element just died. They liked the higher ride and the roomy interior. They’re older, so something they can slide into rather than sit down into is important. They also enjoyed the...let’s say unique styling of the Element.

I don’t have a firm budget for them (and I’ll check back in if they give me one,) but they’re retired and don’t drive much, so I’m assuming keeping the price down would be preferable.

Probably, or fix the Honda.

Other thoughts, many of the small CUV's are attractively priced. A neighbor just bought a Buick Encore (which I know almost nothing about) for some ridiculous price. Major cash on the hood on those things.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

MIATA
IS
ALWAYS
THE
ANSWER

I'm a lil bored with my 3-series wagon and am going to look at Miatas for the same reason this year (depending on how work is looking).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can't fit in a Miata :(

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BoyBlunder posted:

Can I ask for recommendations here?

I'm mid-30s, and drive a Subaru Forester to my job 30mi away each day. I'm looking for something a little more fun, that's a manual. I live in MA, so I'm guessing it's going to be rusted out. $5k max budget.

Previous cars I've had that were fun as hell - Mk6 GTI, Subaru WRX. I traded these in and got the dad-mobile (Forester) and am itchin for something with a little more pep.

What should I be looking at?

Porsche 944
1st gen MR2

E: whoops didnt see the max price tag
Old civic type R

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 22, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

I can't fit in a Miata :(

You're not trying hard enough.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Boxman posted:

Flex?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the flex is fuckin huge compared to the element

if they like differently goofy poo poo, used Nissan Juke. otherwise i think you are right with the Soul

Revolver Bunker posted:

Wife and I are looking into getting a new vehicle. My 2000 CRV has run it's last race. We're looking for another SUV/Crossover type around the same size. I recognize that they've gotten bigger over the years. We live in the Northwest and I usually commute 4 hours each day. This is our first time buying a new vehicle.

Proposed Budget: 35k and under.
New or Used: New
Body Style: Crossover/Small SUV. Leaning on CRV, RAV4 or Subaru Forester.

Thanks.

your use case with a lot of stop and go traffic lends itself well to a hybrid. there is a CR-V hybrid for MY2020 which is supposedly good, and a RAV4 hybrid for MY2019 and up that is good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Isn't the Soul a lot smaller than an Element?

The Element and CR-V shared a platform, so even though it won't be a comically-sized box, perhaps have them try one of those anyway.

@Revolver: CR-Vs are only a few inches bigger now than your existing one.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I guess this is the best place for this post, crossposted from AI:

I need some help with a lease you guys

my dad leased a 2019 BMW 330ix last summer here in Indiana. Payments are $500/month and I believe he put $12k down. My mom is on the lease as well.

My dad drove it maybe twice before going to the hospital and he passed away in November. The car has maybe a thousand miles on it.

My mom doesn't want it. She has a new Lexus and enjoys that and the BMW reminds her of dad too much. She wants it gone.

We turned in the BMW to the dealership last night. Gave them the keys and everything. I think we did this prematurely though... I called BMW financial services (who the lease is through) and they told us we have three options:

1. Turn in the car and pay the full remaining balance of the contract (like $12k)
2. Turn in the car and pay a balance based on the current value of the car (I don't really understand this one but it sounds like it's roughly equivalent to 1)
3. Go through a third party website and see if anybody will take over the lease

Has anybody been in this situation? I don't know what the best answer is other than taking the car back into our possession for the time being. She'll still be paying insurance on it (full coverage on a brand new BMW, ugh) but at least she'll have a car to show for paying over $500 a month.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah... Unless you can get someone to take over the lease, you owe the full amount on it whether you keep it or not.

A lease isn't a rental, it's a commitment to make a certain amount of payments.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

is it really a lease? i ask this because why in gently caress would you put 12 grand down on a lease? ideally you put zero money down on a lease, or maybe a couple grand in incentive cash. anyway based on payment the math doesn't really make sense on it being a lease. seems more like either financed or BMWs weird balloon payment lease scheme.

here:

assuming roughly bog standard decently optioned 330ix premium with leather and premium package and a color, that rings in right at 51 grand including D&D

lease terms from BMW on that car are $630/mo assuming $2500 down, 36 months, 12k miles.
when i adjust to $12k down, that drops payment to $350. even a 15k mile lease only bumps up to $380.

either the down payment amount is wrong ($6k down, 12/36 gets to about $500/mo), or something is fucky with the lease. i suggest you read the BMWFS documentation very thoroughly before doing anything else, and I also suggest that you retrieve the car from the dealership ASAP.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Option 2, sounds like a lease buyout. I've never leased a BMW, only Ford's, but Ford had a current purchase price on the vehicle that changed every month where I could just buy the car at any time.

What they're proposing is probably turning the car in, and then paying the difference between the current purchase price and what the car is worth. Without the numbers, I don't know which way is best for you. I'm assuming you just want rid of the car and aren't worried about the money aspect of the transaction.

Sorry about your Dad man.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Proposed Budget: $35k-$40k
New or Used:New
Body Style: Minivan or SUV
How will you be using the car?: Mostly will be my wife taking our two kids to daycare, then driving 10 miles to work, 4 days a week. Also used for probably 1-2 road trip vacations a year (250 miles, with a full load of food for 4-6 days to a family summer cottage)
What aspects are most important to you? Cloth seats (my wife really doesn’t want leather), MPG, heated seats

Going to be looking for a new vehicle for my wife. Likely not going to be buying until the summer, but looking for some recommendations to look at the auto show in a couple of weeks. We have a 2 year old, and a newborn. By the time we buy, the older child will be 3, and the newborn will be six months. The older child will probably still be in a regular car seat, but will be pretty close to transitioning to a booster seat.

I am 6ft 6in, and I need to be able to occasionally drive the vehicle in reasonable comfort with a child sitting behind me, and have room to haul around all the stuff that will need to come when we go somewhere with the kids. Most of the time, it shouldn’t be a problem, but we were maxing our our car’s capacity at times on trips when we had just the one kid.

I am thinking we will most likely end up in a Honda Odyssey, but I am looking for other recommendations in that size and price range. A third row that is usable by adults would be nice so we can go places with one set of our parents, but in that size range I get that is not very likely. My wife would like to avoid an SUV, as she is coming from smaller cars, and just assumes that visibility out of them will be horrible (Used to drive a Versa, and now drives an Altima)

Also, our garage was built in the 80s, so nothing much bigger than my 2017 Dodge Charger is going to work. Looks like it is 200in long, so the Odyssey at 203in should work, but that is about it.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

Orvin posted:

How will you be using the car?: Mostly will be my wife taking our two kids to daycare, then driving 10 miles to work, 4 days a week. Also used for probably 1-2 road trip vacations a year (250 miles, with a full load of food for 4-6 days to a family summer cottage)
What aspects are most important to you? Cloth seats (my wife really doesn’t want leather), MPG, heated seats

Going to be looking for a new vehicle for my wife. Likely not going to be buying until the summer, but looking for some recommendations to look at the auto show in a couple of weeks. We have a 2 year old, and a newborn. By the time we buy, the older child will be 3, and the newborn will be six months. The older child will probably still be in a regular car seat, but will be pretty close to transitioning to a booster seat.

I am 6ft 6in, and I need to be able to occasionally drive the vehicle in reasonable comfort with a child sitting behind me, and have room to haul around all the stuff that will need to come when we go somewhere with the kids. Most of the time, it shouldn’t be a problem, but we were maxing our our car’s capacity at times on trips when we had just the one kid.

I am thinking we will most likely end up in a Honda Odyssey, but I am looking for other recommendations in that size and price range. A third row that is usable by adults would be nice so we can go places with one set of our parents, but in that size range I get that is not very likely. My wife would like to avoid an SUV, as she is coming from smaller cars, and just assumes that visibility out of them will be horrible (Used to drive a Versa, and now drives an Altima)

Also, our garage was built in the 80s, so nothing much bigger than my 2017 Dodge Charger is going to work. Looks like it is 200in long, so the Odyssey at 203in should work, but that is about it.

I recommend minivans over three row SUVs because they are almost always a better value unless you have some specific need an SUV fills. That said check out the Toyota Sienna, Kia Sedona, and Chrysler Pacifica as well as the Honda. All are pretty good but have some minor differences that will appeal to you or not.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

CornHolio posted:

I guess this is the best place for this post, crossposted from AI:

I need some help with a lease you guys

my dad leased a 2019 BMW 330ix last summer here in Indiana. Payments are $500/month and I believe he put $12k down. My mom is on the lease as well.

My dad drove it maybe twice before going to the hospital and he passed away in November. The car has maybe a thousand miles on it.

My mom doesn't want it. She has a new Lexus and enjoys that and the BMW reminds her of dad too much. She wants it gone.

We turned in the BMW to the dealership last night. Gave them the keys and everything. I think we did this prematurely though... I called BMW financial services (who the lease is through) and they told us we have three options:

1. Turn in the car and pay the full remaining balance of the contract (like $12k)
2. Turn in the car and pay a balance based on the current value of the car (I don't really understand this one but it sounds like it's roughly equivalent to 1)
3. Go through a third party website and see if anybody will take over the lease

Has anybody been in this situation? I don't know what the best answer is other than taking the car back into our possession for the time being. She'll still be paying insurance on it (full coverage on a brand new BMW, ugh) but at least she'll have a car to show for paying over $500 a month.

If the lease payment is relatively low, you can try swapalease or similar to see if someone will take it over. Might be better than paying it off or buying it out...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Orvin posted:

Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey are the 2 best choices in the minivan game. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time those are your 2 solid choices. Pick which one you like better after driving both of them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Mango posted:

If the lease payment is relatively low, you can try swapalease or similar to see if someone will take it over. Might be better than paying it off or buying it out...

Does anybody have any experience with these? I created an account on leasetrader.com and somebody from the site called me immediately.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

not convinced you could sell me on buying a new minivan. used Pacificas are an absurdly good deal and while they will certainly be less reliable than the Honda/Toyota you just put a bunch of cash in your pocket up front. plus stow'n'go is phenomenal.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

not convinced you could sell me on buying a new minivan. used Pacificas are an absurdly good deal and while they will certainly be less reliable than the Honda/Toyota you just put a bunch of cash in your pocket up front. plus stow'n'go is phenomenal.

I keep seeing people say how nice stow’n’go is. But if I am only going to need to put the seats away 1-2 times a year, is it really that useful? The comparison reviews seem to state that the Odyssey is an all around nicer minivan, but that the stow’n’go seats (and storage area) makes the Pacifica about even in ranking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

space in the back of a minivan is limited behind the third row - it's not awful but not great. if you have stowngo you just drop the rear bench til you need it, and you always have it there in case. for the other ones you have to pull out the seats or they're super in the way. whole point of minivan is configuration and space flexibility.

frankly the use case you describe suggests that you should rent a minivan the 2x per year you are cottaging and maxing out the cargo capacity. have you considered that?

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I bought when there were no used pacificas, but the stow and go is the one feature I desperately would want in a minivan. It is incredibly useful.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Ok to be clear all the vans have folding third rows though? Chrysler’s advantage is that you can also fold the second row flat into the floor. On the Kia you can fold the second row flat forward against the first row, which basically gets you 90% of what the Chrysler offers while being a lot easier to actually do, because on the Chrysler you have to gently caress around with the carpets.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

Ok to be clear all the vans have folding third rows though? Chrysler’s advantage is that you can also fold the second row flat into the floor. On the Kia you can fold the second row flat forward against the first row, which basically gets you 90% of what the Chrysler offers while being a lot easier to actually do, because on the Chrysler you have to gently caress around with the carpets.

The third row folds flat, but if you want the entire back to be storage the stow and go gives you way more room.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I was under the impression that most minivan’s 3rd row bench folds flat (or close to it) into the floor. Then in order to maximize space, you have to do something with the middle row. With the Pacifica, you just drop the seats into the floor. With others, you unhook and physically remove the middle seats. While being a bit harder and more time consuming(plus needing a place to store the seats), removing the seats gets you pretty much as much space as the Pacifica. The key advantage to the Pacifica is the ease of making the space, and the side bonus of having under seat storage when the seats are up.

As for renting a van a couple times a year, my wife thinks it will be easier to wrangle the kids into a minivan with the sliding doors, and slightly higher seating. Getting the kids into the car seat with the sloping rear rooflines of cars is a bit of a challenge at times. Plus, I think my wife wants to have to avoid keeping her trunk completely empty for when she wants to take the kids somewhere. She likes leaving her golf clubs in the trunk the entire summer for the once a week she plays golf with her aunt.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Orvin posted:

I am thinking we will most likely end up in a Honda Odyssey,

I just went through this for our family. We have a two year old and a soon to be newborn. We test drove almost every three row SUV available from cheap to eye watering and ended up with an Odyssey. It just beat all of the SUVs in functional terms for our use purpose, which is not that far from yours. We are happy with it and have embraced the van-ness of it all.

One person's anecdotal $0.02.

E: Just saw the above posts. About the seats, OP has two kids, he is not going to be putting away the 2nd row ever so the advantage of stow and go is lost. AFAIK all third row mini van seats fold flat now - I can only speak to the Honda version and it is dead easy to use. They also as of 2018 have "magic seats" for the second row in that they can slide left to right in addition to fore and aft. So far I've found it helpful when I have two car seats in and I want to have passengers in the back I can push one of the second row seats to the center to make getting into the back easier (for grandparents). I took out the middle seat in the 2nd row obviously.

Your wife is right about wrangling kids, sliding/power doors, and sloping roof lines. My daughter still covers her head when I put her into her seat in the van because it was almost impossible to get her into our old Forester w/o bumping her head somewhere.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 30, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Minivan chat: the Odyssey, Sienna, and Pacifica are all good.

Mrs Mango ended up with a Sienna because the driver seat could actually move up and down vertically. I’m so tall I literally couldn’t fit in the Odyssey (left leg and head did not fit the space). Wife liked the Sienna over the Pacifica (I think the drive train is more fun in ETC PWR mode) so there we are. We are super happy minivan owners.

Then again I daily an M5 so I must be broken so don’t listen to me.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There's no such thing as unreliable or unsafe minivan. Especially when you plan on driving as little as you say you will. Not sure why "mpg" is a requirement, when you're shopping in that segment to begin with. Go drive them all, see which one you like best and take it home.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Orvin posted:

I was under the impression that most minivan’s 3rd row bench folds flat (or close to it) into the floor. Then in order to maximize space, you have to do something with the middle row. With the Pacifica, you just drop the seats into the floor. With others, you unhook and physically remove the middle seats. While being a bit harder and more time consuming(plus needing a place to store the seats), removing the seats gets you pretty much as much space as the Pacifica. The key advantage to the Pacifica is the ease of making the space, and the side bonus of having under seat storage when the seats are up.

As for renting a van a couple times a year, my wife thinks it will be easier to wrangle the kids into a minivan with the sliding doors, and slightly higher seating. Getting the kids into the car seat with the sloping rear rooflines of cars is a bit of a challenge at times. Plus, I think my wife wants to have to avoid keeping her trunk completely empty for when she wants to take the kids somewhere. She likes leaving her golf clubs in the trunk the entire summer for the once a week she plays golf with her aunt.

i'll throw out a deeply discounted regal tourx for your consideration as well

i prefer the way the pacifica drives to the sienna and the sedona, have not driven the new odyssey though. i am also a (20 year old) M5 daily driver in the summer so i have stupid opinions about the art of the possible with cars.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

To preface, I've never bought a used car before and have nearly driven a Ford Fusion into the ground with 270k miles in ten years.

I'm strongly considering getting into an Audi. I test drove an A4 amid some comparable brands/models and really enjoyed it. I spend a lot of time in the car on some fairly open highway and would like to enjoy it more.

In that vein, I found a used 2018 Audi S4 in Prestige Trim w/ Sport Package, Driver Assist, and a few other nice options with under 10k miles located about an hour away and listed for about $48,000, sold by a reputable looking import sales/service place. One owner, looks like a lease. Is this too good to be true?

Carfax shows the following service all at the dealership that sold it new:

11/13/2018
4,166 miles
Vehicle serviced
- Maintenance inspection completed
- 10,000 mile service performed
- Vehicle washed/detailed

05/16/2019
5,948 miles
Vehicle serviced
- Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced
- Four wheel alignment performed
- Seat(s) checked
- Drivability/performance checked

06/13/2019
6,381 miles
Vehicle serviced

Is this sequence of service visits potentially indicative of a problem? How should I proceed? I have no competence checking under the hood for myself. My alternative is probably just buying a new A4.

Innocuous fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 3, 2020

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Why an Audi?

Do you fully grasp the ownership costs of a car like the S4?

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea (yet), but want to see if you’re aware of what you’re getting into.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

skipdogg posted:

Why an Audi?

Do you fully grasp the ownership costs of a car like the S4?

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea (yet), but want to see if you’re aware of what you’re getting into.

I've budgeted for it, and I enjoyed test driving Audi the most. I assume the ownership costs are going to be considerably higher than my current vehicle. Not clear on exact numbers, though.

Innocuous fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 3, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Are you planning on keeping this car for 10 years and putting a quarter million miles on it? Because I don't recommend doing that on an Audi. Especially not a performance model.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

KillHour posted:

Are you planning on keeping this car for 10 years and putting a quarter million miles on it? Because I don't recommend doing that on an Audi. Especially not a performance model.

I was hoping to get 200k with religious maintenance. Not a deal breaker if it's a little bit under that but I'd like to clear 150k at least, which would take me around six years.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Audis have a 4 year, 50k mile warranty, and I wouldn't own one a second outside of it unless I was willing to do the work myself.

I'm saying this as someone who owns an out of warranty Aston Martin.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

KillHour posted:

Audis have a 4 year, 50k mile warranty, and I wouldn't own one a second outside of it unless I was willing to do the work myself.

I'm saying this as someone who owns an out of warranty Aston Martin.

While the part of me that's been thrifty as hell the past decade wants to cut loose with an Audi in spite of cost, is there a similarly situated compact luxury with sporty performance you'd recommend for a higher mileage target instead of an A4/S4?

To tolerate driving an extremely boring car for a decade I have resisted paying much attention to car stuff and so I'm deeply ignorant aside from a couple weeks of car review catch-up to see what's out there.

Innocuous fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Innocuous posted:

While the part of me that's been thrifty as hell the past decade wants to cut loose with an Audi in spite of cost, is there a similarly situated compact luxury with sporty performance you'd recommend for a higher mileage target instead of an A4/S4?

Kia Stinger has a 100k mile powertrain warranty and the GT trim has 15 more HP than that S4. The Genesis G70 is the sightly more upmarket version and essentially the same car. Test drive both. You can probably get a fully loaded Stinger brand new for a little over 40k - dealers are desperate to move them. The Audi has more tech but the price difference makes up for it, IMO.

Either way, still plan to ditch it after that warranty expires. Turbocharged 350hp small displacement engines have lots of fiddly poo poo that can go wrong, and will be really expensive when they do.

Edit: Performance cars generally don't last 250k miles with just standard maintenance by definition. If they did, every car would be 300+ hp. I'm not saying don't get a fun car. Definitely get a fun car. Just be prepared for what comes with it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 3, 2020