Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Asema posted:

Kentucky Route Zero got more press and influences on it yesterday than Blizzard. It's screaming "get this out of the door and forget about it"

Seriously.

It feels like some exec regretted promising warcraft 3 hd and now this is the minimum viable product so they can cash in and move on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
'minimum viable' tbh I don't know about either of those words here

More seriously, It's so pointless to finally make rules locking down all creative works on the platform as their own... over a decade too late when the odds that a new DoTA springs out of wc3 custom scene is basically zero and all it's going to piss off are die-hard fans who still play and develop custom maps.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I'm having fun with it so far.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
drat I kinda wish I had done some research here. Nothing wrong with WC3, but I thought it would get QoL updates similar to SC2 like being able to group select more than what is it, 14 units or something? Or showing your command groups over the console to remind you what they are. Just QoL things.

Does the Starship Troopers custom map still exist? That was my childhood favorite.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Revitalized posted:

drat I kinda wish I had done some research here. Nothing wrong with WC3, but I thought it would get QoL updates similar to SC2 like being able to group select more than what is it, 14 units or something? Or showing your command groups over the console to remind you what they are. Just QoL things.

Does the Starship Troopers custom map still exist? That was my childhood favorite.

If it does, it won't for long!

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/KalebPrime/status/1222365505459191809

Not only has Blizzard made a crappy remaster, they've made Warcraft 3 worse, retroactively.

Check out those last two bullets

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

FoolyCharged posted:

Well, yes. But the reason Non-blizzard copyrights are unavailable is that Blizzard wants control of the maps right down to distribution and hosting. Because they want as much claim to any financial reward for making a map possible(All of it). It's a part of why SCII didn't kick off a huge custom map scene like WCIII did.

SCII didn't kick off a huge custom map scene because Starcraft II's editor is far more complex and therefore harder to work with. For example:

In Warcraft III, I could hammer out a custom Hero with HOTS-style Talents and custom visuals in a few hours without needing a shred of reference material despite not having made anything in Warcraft III since I was 15.
In Starcraft II, I still need to look up simple things like how to attach Actors despite the fact that I've been on various Starcraft II modding teams for something like ten years.

Also it's less that Blizzard wants complete control and more that, because Blizzard is taking complete control, they don't want to be legally viable for when Nintendo shows up to ask about this whole "Pimp My Mario" business. Besides, Blizzard wouldn't know what to do with "the next DotA" if it hit them in the face (something that's been proven time and time again, like with Autochess).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

'minimum viable' tbh I don't know about either of those words here

More seriously, It's so pointless to finally make rules locking down all creative works on the platform as their own... over a decade too late when the odds that a new DoTA springs out of wc3 custom scene is basically zero and all it's going to piss off are die-hard fans who still play and develop custom maps.

Its also telling that SC 2 customs never remotely reached the point that SC 1 and War3 customs were, years before.

Blizz hosed everything up and got super corporate.

Kith posted:

SCII didn't kick off a huge custom map scene because Starcraft II's editor is far more complex and therefore harder to work with. For example:

In Warcraft III, I could hammer out a custom Hero with HOTS-style Talents and custom visuals in a few hours without needing a shred of reference material despite not having made anything in Warcraft III since I was 15.
In Starcraft II, I still need to look up simple things like how to attach Actors despite the fact that I've been on various Starcraft II modding teams for something like ten years.

Also it's less that Blizzard wants complete control and more that, because Blizzard is taking complete control, they don't want to be legally viable for when Nintendo shows up to ask about this whole "Pimp My Mario" business. Besides, Blizzard wouldn't know what to do with "the next DotA" if it hit them in the face (something that's been proven time and time again, like with Autochess).

But also the map viewer at launch of SC2 was complete dogshit, was there even a reasonable way to play customs?

I feel like they had to patch in a browser for customs like literally a year or two after release.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah, tbh I think that they've had a wide number of maps over the years in both sc2 and wc3 that if spun off into their own games would've been entirely successful but they either never tried to capitalize on it or tried to do it with some weird in-engine premium maps monetization. Like each of the archetypes of custom maps clearly had people interested in playing them for huge, ridiculous amounts of time and most of the good ones had extremely strong core gameplay loops. Basically while they were looking for another DoTA they let a ton of profitable little games slip through their fingers.

Hell, with how they Blizzard was viewed 5-10 years ago, most map designers probably would've let their games go for a song, too.

Zaphod42 posted:

But also the map viewer at launch of SC2 was complete dogshit, was there even a reasonable way to play customs?

I feel like they had to patch in a browser for customs like literally a year or two after release.

E:/\ there was a map viewer for customs, but the problem iirc was that the popularity algorithm was really horribly implemented so after week one it only ever showed like the same 5-10 maps (which are mostly the same 5-10 maps shown now, btw) and almost nothing could get new maps to appear

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 29, 2020

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I was pretty excited for battle for middle earth and DBZ tribute, this sucks poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lmao Arthas now stabs Mal'Ganis in the dick due to the new animations and proportions

https://i.imgur.com/lC85v8A.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

E: ^ lmao the tiny frown in the portrait when he gets stabbed

Herstory Begins Now posted:

E:/\ there was a map viewer for customs, but the problem iirc was that the popularity algorithm was really horribly implemented so after week one it only ever showed like the same 5-10 maps (which are mostly the same 5-10 maps shown now, btw) and almost nothing could get new maps to appear

Yep! The open lobby browser came with Legacy of the Void - also known as five years later.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wasn't WC3's just completely random? You get a random sampling of 20 game lobbies or whatever?

Imagine implementing an algorithm or whatever the gently caress that is worse than, literally, the laziest thing you could possibly do with a lobby browser.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

WC3's browser wasn't random, it was sorted by most recently created. Which is why if your lobby didn't fill up after like five to ten minutes, you'd remake it to try and get more people.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hahaha if you want custom keybinds you have to modify a .txt file like its the 90s

They were too lazy to build a keybind UI

Starcraft 2 has it AND they added it to Starcraft 1 remastered, but nah :effort:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao Arthas now stabs Mal'Ganis in the dick due to the new animations and proportions

https://i.imgur.com/lC85v8A.mp4

I'm the complete lack of any effect that indicates Mal'Ganis has died, instead it's

"I must go, my planet needs me"
(Mal"Ganis died on the way back to his home planet)

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Can anyone test something for me? There are two sound volume sliders in the options menu: music and effects. I didn't see one one for voices/speech. Do voices fall under effects or can you simply not change the volume of speech?

I tried to mess with this last night but gave up and used the windows sound mixer.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It is kinda fun rofl'ing people. Had some guy claim he used to be good at sc2. No scouting, no upgrades, the classic trademarks of good at rts.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

FoolyCharged posted:

If it does, it won't for long!

Check out those last two bullets

Ugh what a garbage timeline we live in.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Some people were talking about the Stratholme in game cutscene earlier. Here is a side by side of the Blizzcon scene vs what we got...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4K2u2KbpdE&feature=youtu.be

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Anyone playing now want to do a 2v2 comp stomp?

IGN is PaybackJack#3628

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

as bad as it is im enjoying tower rushing and dumptser tier 4v4s like back in the ol days

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/KalebPrime/status/1222365505459191809

Not only has Blizzard made a crappy remaster, they've made Warcraft 3 worse, retroactively.

"If we see even a single Goku, we'll ban you faster than Blitzchung" - Blizzard, probably

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I'm the complete lack of any effect that indicates Mal'Ganis has died, instead it's

"I must go, my planet needs me"
(Mal"Ganis died on the way back to his home planet)

He actually didn't die, though.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

YouSpoonyBard posted:

"If we see even a single Goku, we'll ban you faster than Blitzchung" - Blizzard, probably

Wow. My free speech.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

YouSpoonyBard posted:

YouSpoonyBard posted:

We also hosed around for 4 years and didn’t do anything with DOTA but we aren’t falling for that trap again!!

But still, that seems like an odd stance for a game that is a remaster - maybe it was a brand new game it would be more reasonable?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Just finished The Culling. It's more or less the same as it was for the Blizzcon build, plus minibosses.

On one hand, this gives me some sliver of hope for the other campaign content.

On the other hand, from what I've heard, the extra content pretty much just fuckin' stops after the Human campaign.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Kith posted:

Just finished The Culling. It's more or less the same as it was for the Blizzcon build, plus minibosses.

On one hand, this gives me some sliver of hope for the other campaign content.

On the other hand, from what I've heard, the extra content pretty much just fuckin' stops after the Human campaign.

It looks like they redid the Fall of Silvermoon mission from the Scourge campaign at least.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its also telling that SC 2 customs never remotely reached the point that SC 1 and War3 customs were, years before.

Blizz hosed everything up and got super corporate.

Yeah the sc2 ui killed its customs scene in the crib.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

drat the remastered trees look so bad. The grass has much less character too.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

hire me blizz

Kith fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 29, 2020

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
It's such a bummer that first rule is identical to SC2's. Just like SC2 I was thrilled at the idea of new use map settings games coming from playing them in SC1. Realistically you'd want to just keep the pool open so if some obsessive dork makes another DotA level map you can approach them and hire them for their genius game

Kith posted:

poo poo I remember making a few SC1 custom maps and WC3 mods seemed impossible to figure out and SC2 looked like a full blown nightmare.

I wonder if super heavily customized maps like YouTD would even work with Reforged. Can you just upload your old maps from WC3 to Reforged?

Kith posted:

It seems like in the whole DMCA takedown world it's harder to pull off a vast majority of the stuff WC3 custom maps did. If they did things wild west style like they did with original WC3, couldn't they still be culpable if a map maker did say, a Fortnite clone? Or would Fortnite's owners just go directly after the map maker?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Servaetes posted:

I wonder if super heavily customized maps like YouTD would even work with Reforged. Can you just upload your old maps from WC3 to Reforged?
Technically WCIII and Reforged are the same game, so yes. One of the big reasons why they built it out of the original was specifically for the backwards compatibility "so the custom map community could stay alive".

Of course, they didn't mention that the new EULA would involve killing off 75% of the existing (and insanely popular) maps.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Kith posted:

Technically WCIII and Reforged are the same game, so yes. One of the big reasons why they built it out of the original was specifically for the backwards compatibility "so the custom map community could stay alive".

Of course, they didn't mention that the new EULA would involve killing off 75% of the existing (and insanely popular) maps.

In the case of YouTD it had a ton of custom models built out of existing assets in WC3 so my guess is it's going to look like an awful mishmash. I kinda want to pick up Reforged now just to see how goofy it looks.

So wait for all those janky rear end anime battle arenas is there going to be a really really lovely low rez Naruto standing next to a super HD footman?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Servaetes posted:

It's such a bummer that first rule is identical to SC2's. Just like SC2 I was thrilled at the idea of new use map settings games coming from playing them in SC1. Realistically you'd want to just keep the pool open so if some obsessive dork makes another DotA level map you can approach them and hire them for their genius game

poo poo I remember making a few SC1 custom maps and WC3 mods seemed impossible to figure out and SC2 looked like a full blown nightmare.

It seems like in the whole DMCA takedown world it's harder to pull off a vast majority of the stuff WC3 custom maps did. If they did things wild west style like they did with original WC3, couldn't they still be culpable if a map maker did say, a Fortnite clone? Or would Fortnite's owners just go directly after the map maker?

Ask me how many loving files it took to make a chain lightning spell you could level up.

And vanilla warcraft 3 was all local hosted, so the most involvement blizzard had was putting the players in a lobby together. The map downloaded from and ran on the hosts machine.

With the modern setup, blizzard wants to actively host and control every game, so they would be both distributing and running any copyright infringement.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
One of my mates who is too old for games now and got a kid and only play ability draft dota games used to love one of the old tower defence games in warcraft 3 and he was gutted when i told him the news, he was pretty hype to buy Reforged but he's probably not going to bother now and continue playing ability draft dota :nono:

gently caress you blizzard

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

FoolyCharged posted:

Ask me how many loving files it took to make a chain lightning spell you could level up.

how many :allears:

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

FoolyCharged posted:

This is a perfect example of why the WC3 editor was incredible in both potential and ease of use. Customizing a hero's abilities, what they did, how many levels they had, damage, range, you name it and it was as easy as a couple clicks and typing values.

I even remember the triggers being super easy. Event>Conditions>Actions if I remember correctly, and that would let you pretty much do anything you wanted. gently caress man, it was so fun to make maps in that thing. I was only like 14 and I feel like making an entire game was super feasible. Though once JASS became popular I was out because I couldn't figure that poo poo out.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I can look when I get home, but I dont think I have the map anymore. I think it wound up being 40-60 or something stupid like that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is the orc campaign from Frozen Throne in? Saw people saying custom campaigns aren't possible and I remember the orc campaign basically being that as a sort of advert for what you could potentially do. You played as Rengar and recruited a couple other heroes and there was a fair bit of travelling between maps doing sidequests and poo poo. It might even have come out post launch but I can't remember now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I just got a reply to my ticket saying the refund will go through in 5-10 days. This whole situation makes me sad. It seems like it started off with good intentions but then feedback from people who wanted as few changes as possible seemed to change the scope of the project and box them into a weird corner where they didn't want to 180 on the new art direction but also didn't want to make big changes. That combined with an apparently optimistic release date left a buggy confused mess.

I wish they had just done a StarCraft style remaster where you keep the same art style and gameplay. Save the new look for a pay DLC for people who want it like the SC cartoon pack.