Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Not having 4.0 on the chipset seems fine although it may limit the uptake of 4.0 drives in the consumer space, not that it’s really needed that much anyway.

Intel just needs to put more lanes from the cpu for drive attaching :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's Intel vulnerability o'clock: https://cacheoutattack.com.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
This trend of naming security vulnerabilities is incredibly annoying.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

stevewm posted:

Oh, I don't know, it means the people who discovered the vulnerability get a catchy name and some coverage. Otherwise it just gets buried. Plus, it's probably pretty fun to be the guys who come up with the name - a few beers after figuring out the issue, and someone who thinks they're the funniest of the funny hits on a name.

gently caress it, it's unnecessary, geeky and pretty cheesy, but why not

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

HalloKitty posted:

Oh, I don't know, it means the people who discovered the vulnerability get a catchy name and some coverage. Otherwise it just gets buried. Plus, it's probably pretty fun to be the guys who come up with the name - a few beers after figuring out the issue, and someone who thinks they're the funniest of the funny hits on a name.

gently caress it, it's unnecessary, geeky and pretty cheesy, but why not

Certainly makes them easier to talk about if you happen to need to.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Meltdown was already discussed, we don't need to have it in the thread again.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

stevewm posted:

Part of the punishment for Intel is forcing them to use these names for the rest of their lives.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ufarn posted:

It's Intel vulnerability o'clock: https://cacheoutattack.com.

I appreciate having a CPU olde enough that it's actually not impacted by this one.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

We're gonna have named exploits based on speculative execution for the next decade or more, so the conversation is going to be had many times yet.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I follow one of those folks on twitter and I don't really get their posture at this point. This one's all about how they *knew* right after Intel patched the old one but they still didn't fix it or... I dunno. My SWAG is that it's approximately one zillion times harder to hit an eviction than a simple store, but to TU Graz it's all or nothing.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

eames posted:

I'm sure motherboard manufacturers are thrilled that they had to invest into developing (and perhaps even manufacturing) boards with PCIe 4.0 compatability when they didn't need to. The GN guy said he already saw 400 series boards back in December.

To be honest the fact that gen4 makes so much heat they had to go back to doing on-mobo fans makes me want to avoid them anyway.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

FRINGE posted:

To be honest the fact that gen4 makes so much heat they had to go back to doing on-mobo fans makes me want to avoid them anyway.

I think it's more likely than not that that chip was just the cheapest thing they could get done fast, and without much optimization for power efficiency.

I doubt the next generation of pcie 4 supporting chipsets will need a fan.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

crazypenguin posted:

I think it's more likely than not that that chip was just the cheapest thing they could get done fast, and without much optimization for power efficiency.

I doubt the next generation of pcie 4 supporting chipsets will need a fan.

Hopefully not because PCIe 6 is already being developed and without efficiency improvements, mobos will have to ship with delta fans to keep cool.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

sincx posted:

At your service

WHAT??

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

I believe that is what is known as a "chode".

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If enough goons get together, I can and will build 28mm -> 40mm fan adapters.

Hell, this might be my in into the industry, making aftermarket chipset coolers that accept standard 40mm Noctuas.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I never realized Delta's logo was a loudspeaker which feels very fitting

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

I believe that is what is known as a "chode".

I googled that, oh noooo

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I never realized Delta's logo was a loudspeaker which feels very fitting
I sold all my Deltas awhile back for about $30 each.. No idea who wanted them or why. I had one of these fat fuckers and the static pressure was enough to move it along tables like a tethered hovercraft: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/df12gf.html

Its big claim to fame was static pressure and being 6dB quieter than the monster TFB fans; quieter being relative since it was still 59 dBA. That chipset-sized Delta posted above is relatively silent in comparison.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

priznat posted:

I googled that, oh noooo

Turn on your monitor

movax
Aug 30, 2008

sincx posted:

At your service

Jesus, that part number made me flashback to one of my first jobs developing a fan controller for those 40 mm fuckers. FFB0412VHN, FFB0412UHN, I definitely have part number autism.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

future ghost posted:

I sold all my Deltas awhile back for about $30 each.. No idea who wanted them or why. I had one of these fat fuckers and the static pressure was enough to move it along tables like a tethered hovercraft: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/df12gf.html

Its big claim to fame was static pressure and being 6dB quieter than the monster TFB fans; quieter being relative since it was still 59 dBA. That chipset-sized Delta posted above is relatively silent in comparison.

Oh yeah, I'm not complaining about the performance. These are the things that were shipping in my servers for years and so long as you had thermal management and a proper fan curve they're good for the job. Absolutely sucks having to bench a system in your office with one of these things for any amount of time

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

movax posted:

Jesus, that part number made me flashback to one of my first jobs developing a fan controller for those 40 mm fuckers. FFB0412VHN, FFB0412UHN, I definitely have part number autism.

my man let me VINtroduce you to a whole new level of autism

ah man it hit me in all the right places when I realized I could learn so much about a vehicle by reading the VIN

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm guessing after nearly four years of stability, booting up to an 'overclocking failed' error and having to reduce my 6700K from 4.5ghz to 4.3ghz is just down to attrition/wear & tear on the hardware? Temperatures never really go any higher than 70 under load and it has never crashed during games or general stuff. It's only a boot-up thing.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
So I recently upgraded by GPU, and was surprised the Witcher 3 was still stuttering pretty regularly in the busy Novigrad area.
I checked all sorts of things... and then had my answer when I checked the CPU temp with MSI Afterburner's overlay.
100 degrees C.
It's been throttling down to keep itself from burning through the floor like the acid blood in Alien.

I have no idea how long this has been going on, but it must have been a while, because I've had a stuttery Witcher for quite some time and always put it down to my old crappy GPU and me being overly optimistic with the graphics settings.
I have now installed a new heat sink (Hyper 212X) and temps now stay below 80 degrees pretty much all the time even in Witcher, and Witcher is no longer stuttery.

I have an i7 4970k. Despite the above, the computer never shut down or crashed due to heat issues and I don't have any stability problems.
How likely is it my CPU's been incinerated and/or is about to due to the previous heat-abuse?

(Note: it's not overclocked in any way)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you're not having issues than clearly it's not dead. If it dies sooner for it then it does (and I don't know enough to say one way or the other), but may as well ride it out.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Soul Reaver posted:

I have an i7 4970k. Despite the above, the computer never shut down or crashed due to heat issues and I don't have any stability problems.
How likely is it my CPU's been incinerated and/or is about to due to the previous heat-abuse?

(Note: it's not overclocked in any way)

The circuitry for thermal protection is there to keep the chip within its designed envelope. So, no, you didn't hurt it. It may have had its life shortened somewhat compared to a more properly cooled chip, but remember that chips are specced to run within their envelope for like 10 years. So maybe yours now only lasts 9. Either way, as long as it still works fine right now, it will likely continue to do so until well past when you're ready for an upgrade anyhow.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sincx posted:

At your service

I thought these are made by Rolls-Royce aerospace

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm guessing after nearly four years of stability, booting up to an 'overclocking failed' error and having to reduce my 6700K from 4.5ghz to 4.3ghz is just down to attrition/wear & tear on the hardware? Temperatures never really go any higher than 70 under load and it has never crashed during games or general stuff. It's only a boot-up thing.

What voltage were you shoving through it?

In my old x79's case, the PSU died after roughly 8+ years of use, then the Motherboard died about a year later.

CPU still can clock right back to where I had it, with even a tad less voltage than before on a newish used board of the exact same type.

eames
May 9, 2009

Not sure how I missed this, but I’m posting it here because the topic is kind of quiet and Jim Keller currently works at Intel. Here’s a 90 Minute long interview with Jim Keller.

https://youtu.be/Nb2tebYAaOA

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

EdEddnEddy posted:

What voltage were you shoving through it?

In my old x79's case, the PSU died after roughly 8+ years of use, then the Motherboard died about a year later.

CPU still can clock right back to where I had it, with even a tad less voltage than before on a newish used board of the exact same type.

I'm not sure what caused the issue but taking the cmos battery out and putting it back in fixed the issue. A myriad of settings were changed before (and it ran like that for years without any further changes) but it's all been put back to default and I've not had any further issues since then. I think I will leave it alone like this, it's about due an upgrade anyway. I quite fancy a ryzen 4 series/rtx 3 series system a few months from now.

My guess is that the voltage (which was around 1.32v iirc?) was probably getting too high/low for what it needed to run smoothly, wear & tear got to it. Running memory tests all came back fine.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 18, 2020

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Xeon Cascade Lake Refresh just announced. Basically moved all the parts about three bins down. Eg formerly Platinum parts now at Gold prices.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Does anyone know which upcoming Intel CPU line will have hardware fixes for meltdown and Specter? (NOTE: answered my own question below, just posting to benefit other people with the same question).

I found this old article, from 2018, on the Meltdown wikipedia page that Intel was planning hardware fixes in upcoming designs.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13450/intels-new-core-and-xeon-w-processors-fixes-for-spectre-meltdown

From the article

quote:

As it currently stands, because the new Coffee Lake Refresh processors, the i9-9900K, the i7-9700K, and the i5-9600K, are built from new silicon designs, Intel was able to implement hardware fixes for variant 3 (rogue data cache load) and L1 terminal fault. These fixes are not in the Core-X Skylake-X Refresh processors as these are still the same silicon but with different binning and cache arrangements.
Do the latest i9 and i10 Intel chips have hardware remediations? (EDIT: answer: Yes - see below). I tried to search articles the other day for the current and upcoming Intel CPU lines and didn't find any mention of the fixes, perhaps the fixes have been applied already?

Ok, I found my answers - the overlapping architecture releases from Intel makes things really confusing these days, compared to five years ago:
Intel's Microarchitectures list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_CPU_microarchitectures

I found the Coffee Lake and Cascade Lake architecture have the hardware fixes for Meltdown and Spectre. The Coffee Lake series released 4th Quarter 2018 have the hardware fixes for sure:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Lake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Lake_(microarchitecture)

I'm planning to build a new Intel system later this year, so wanted to get an architecture that would not be hindered by performance issues from firmware updates for the security fixes. Of course there will be new flaws (i.e. CacheOut referenced earlier), but just wanted to ensure the two big flaws were mitigated.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 3, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Id also like to know if anyone has info of hardware migitagions.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

Xeon Cascade Lake Refresh just announced. Basically moved all the parts about three bins down. Eg formerly Platinum parts now at Gold prices.

Makes me wonder if any real big "shots" will be fired this year from their side, or if the only movement left is really continuing to slash prices...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My Core I7-8700 is running hot as hell. I've got a Noctua NH-U12S with two Noctua fans blowing through it (and my case's exit fan right next to them as well), and my temps go to ~85 degrees celsius when I play games.

I stripped off the cooler, cleaned both surfaces and reattached everything yesterday (as well as blowing out the dust from the cooler elements) which seems to have helped a bit as previously it was running at 95 degrees during gameplay, but 85 still seems pretty high.

The problem seems to be the ambient temperature in the case (a Phanteks P400S): I stopped playing a game ~10 minutes ago, and the temperature is steadily but slowly dropping towards my idle temps of ~30-35 degrees celsius. I'm wondering whether it might be better to take my case's exit fan off the back plate and mount it on the roof to blow the warm air straight up out of the case.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 3, 2020

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

My Core I7-8700 is running hot as hell. I've got a Noctua NH-U12S with two Noctua fans blowing through it (and my case's exit fan right next to them as well), and my temps go to ~85 degrees celsius when I play games.

I stripped off the cooler, cleaned both surfaces and reattached everything yesterday (as well as blowing out the dust from the cooler elements) which seems to have helped a bit as previously it was running at 95 degrees during gameplay, but 85 still seems pretty high.

The problem seems to be the ambient temperature in the case (a Phanteks P400S): I stopped playing a game ~10 minutes ago, and the temperature is steadily but slowly dropping towards my idle temps of ~30-35 degrees celsius. I'm wondering whether it might be better to take my case's exit fan off the back plate and mount it on the roof to blow the warm air straight up out of the case.

Check that the part that touches cpu has it's plastic cover removed. Clean off old thermal compound and apply a new one. Disable any overclock you may have done.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, did all that yesterday (didn't have the plastic bit on anymore though :v:) and I don't have any overclocking on. It's baffling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Check your temps with your case side panel off to make sure it is an airflow issue