Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Even if we qualify "dumbest FEDERATON ship," the Enterprise-J wants a word.

How much more flat could this ship be? None. None more flat.

Junkball did a heroic breakdown of everything that can be gleaned about that ship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIij0XO9_Ek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zoux posted:

Junkball did a heroic breakdown of everything that can be gleaned about that ship

I've definitely got to check this out, I've seen pictures of that thing a thousand times and it just doesn't visually parse. It literally looks like it would be a circular floor the circumference of a moon with a bunch of miles-wide windows at about head height.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

zoux posted:

Level of nerdism:

-basic bitch
-watches scifi
-plays vidiya and watches scifi

-knows riker maneuver

-knows how many cats played Spot, Data's cat

-does a 10 minute video on a ship we see once on a 120*80px screen for 0.3 seconds

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

At least there's a solid chance the Enterprise-J never happened since it was part of a prevented future timeline or whatever. We can toss it in the bin along with the triple-nacelle Enterprise-D.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We never even saw the ship, we saw a wireframe schematic, the renders are just mockups made by the FX team released behind the scenes. If I recall it's literally a saucer pasted on top of a proposed V-shaped ship that Drexler made that was never used onscreen, they threw it together at the spur of the moment to have something on a background screen.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 29, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

MikeJF posted:

We never even saw the ship, we saw a wireframe schematic, the renders are just mockups made by the FX team released behind the scenes.

Nah we do get a fully coloured 27th century pic on a side display when the scene happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIij0XO9_Ek&t=156s

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Delsaber posted:

At least there's a solid chance the Enterprise-J never happened since it was part of a prevented future timeline or whatever. We can toss it in the bin along with the triple-nacelle Enterprise-D.

Dude.

Okay, how about this: Star Trek: Nullspace. A science vessel falls into a non-space, where the only other worlds/vessels/people are ones who have been "deleted" from continuity. Also, Space Langoliers are hunting them.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Delsaber posted:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Okay, how about this: Star Trek: Nullspace. A science vessel falls into a non-space, where the only other worlds/vessels/people are ones who have been "deleted" from continuity.

I'm picturing this as the Café of Broken Dreams easter egg location in Fallout 2 that was filled mostly with unused character sprites and stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Delsaber posted:

Tell it to eaglemoss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLW79CIywPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vjAuFy3XIc

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That Diamond Select version is so hard to find not broken.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I kinda liked the Enterprise-J :(

Also Junkball Transmissions is great. Dude is super funny and informative... about things no one really cares about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All good things reminds me, who the gently caress was negotiating on behalf of the UFP on the Treaty of Algeron and agreed to unilaterally not use cloaking devices while everyone else gets to.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

zoux posted:

All good things reminds me, who the gently caress was negotiating on behalf of the UFP on the Treaty of Algeron and agreed to unilaterally not use cloaking devices while everyone else gets to.

to be fair the microsecond they actually needed it against the dominion that treaty obligation goes out the window.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

zoux posted:

That must have happened after his intelligence regressed.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Everyone was too distracted by the massive Wave Motion Gun they slapped on the front to notice the cloaking device.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CoolCab posted:

to be fair the microsecond they actually needed it against the dominion that treaty obligation goes out the window.

I like how they tried to justify it with the Romulan observer for like two episodes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

zoux posted:

I remember the Earth-Romulan war being a just savagely barbaric one so I was gonna say that maybe they were desperate, but I looked it up and apparently a pivotal back-breaking naval victory brought the Romulans to the table* so Earth would have been negotiating from a position of strength, and there doesn't seem to be much else given up by the Romulans that wasn't mutually conceded (cessation of hostilities, neutral zone established). So yeah, they didn't Art of the Deal that one too good.

*subspace radio meeting, no one knows what a Romulan looks like until the 23rd century :v:

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 29, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone ever told y'all you look exactly like Vulcans,and also, why haven't all the Vulcans in Starfleet mentioned this even once.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They don't like to talk about it?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Actually, that is sort of hilarious.

Vulcans have a secret offshoot; the Romulans. Then, the Romulans have a secret offshoot: The Remans. What do Remans have? Is there an indigenous subreman race they keep hush?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I woulda played hardball with those perfidious knife-eared fucks.

"Okay if we're giving up cloaking it's only fair you give up a starship tech."
"We're listening."
"No more warp drive for you."
"That's--"
"Hey you don't like it I got some pipe-hitting Telarites ready to steamroll what's left of your fleet and glass Romulus."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I thought the Remans were a distinct species that just happened to live there when the Romulans arrived thousands of years ago after they hosed off from Vulcan, and the Romulans just enslaved them.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Level of nerdism:

-knows riker maneuver

Look, pal, I spent several years learning loving Sanskrit to read the Kama Sutra in the original in order to glean the slightest pearl of information that might compose even part of the simplest movement in any Riker maneuver

To think there is only one Riker maneuver -- for he is generous, giving, and above all attuned to his current lover's/s' needs; he'd never be limited to a single maneuver -- but to list knowing "it" as a level of nerdism just shows you are a Pakled amongst Zakdorns

For the curious, I have gleaned that in the Riker maneuvers there often are leg-swinging and chairs involved, but not in public (unless you're on Risa)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Vulcans have a secret offshoot; the Romulans. Then, the Romulans have a secret offshoot: The Remans. What do Remans have? Is there an indigenous subreman race they keep hush?

Threemans

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when was the romulan and vulcan connection actually revealed. i don't remember not knowing that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

I thought the Remans were a distinct species that just happened to live there when the Romulans arrived thousands of years ago after they hosed off from Vulcan, and the Romulans just enslaved them.

One would think, since they're like loving scaly and Romulans aren't at all, but memory alpha just calls them a slave caste.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

One would think, since they're like loving scaly and Romulans aren't at all, but memory alpha just calls them a slave caste.

well slaves are always more subhuman because uhhh ..nothing to see here, definitely not a huge western legacy of racism and treating all slaves as not quite human to justify your actions.

Honestly the Vulcans having so many offshoots is kind of weird? No other race in ST is like that, maybe the Vulcans genes are just really mutable idk

adaz fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 29, 2020

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

large_gourd posted:

when was the romulan and vulcan connection actually revealed. i don't remember not knowing that.

Balance of Terror

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
e: wrong thread

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

I'm not even kidding, they need to use this for a design somewhere. All these nested shapes, and all of them rotating. It could be like a Borg Yorktown.

A... Borgtown.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Arglebargle III posted:

A... Borgtown.

Björktown

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Forget it Jake Sisko, it's Borgtown

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Björktown

I can't tell you how much I'd love to see her on Star Trek. They wouldn't even need to run her through makeup and costuming, she'd just bring her own.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Hey Daniels I found the Sphere builders. Yup, 2020, they are hiding on Earth and post on SA. Cool, thanks! Happy to serve the Federation!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hello

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dot jay peg

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Brawnfire posted:

Turns out, it's man

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I'm hoping the vulcan samurai dude in the preview clips is actually a Mintakan because revisiting that planet would be nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They could bring back Ray Wise

So the Vulcans have been warp capable for how many hundreds/thousands of years? Klingons too and presumably most everyone in the galaxy. So why are Humans the A number one species in the Federation