Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

I've always wanted to hear animated Coyote.

I always heard a higher pitched Mark Hamill Joker voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I am ecstatic that an animated series is being made. I just wonder, will it be 3D or 2D CGI? Or hell, hand drawn?

They're just gonna edit old episodes of Hey Arnold for the first season or so.

Tea-san posted:

One of the first things I was asked was how I imagined a possible show would be animated and I said I'd like it with 2D animated characters with 3D assisted backgrounds. I think that Netflix movie, Klaus, has some interesting technology in it that would work well.

This sounds better than my joke. For those that don't know, Klaus did 2D animation and then used software to render 3D lighting and shadows.

https://youtu.be/47opK56DUow

Brightman fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 29, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tea-san posted:

The near death experience referred to is when Annie fell off the bridge in chapter 7/8! Plus her dealings with the psychopomps.

One thing I had to do early on was try and encapsulate the story into a short description that would get across the excitement of the plot and give it a hook. It was pretty hard to do since I'm so close to the story in its entirety. On top of that, I fully understand that an adaptation for the screen will diverge from the comic in various ways, but they've been clear it won't be taken in any direction I have a problem with. The comic will always be owned and created by myself only, but a large project like a show or animation will necessarily have a lot of people involved and I'd be really eager to see what real artists and writers would bring to the table.

One of the first things I was asked was how I imagined a possible show would be animated and I said I'd like it with 2D animated characters with 3D assisted backgrounds. I think that Netflix movie, Klaus, has some interesting technology in it that would work well.

I would say Annie's most important near death experience is the one in which it is demonstrated that she is not in fact an orphan.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Tea-san posted:

The near death experience referred to is when Annie fell off the bridge in chapter 7/8! Plus her dealings with the psychopomps.

One thing I had to do early on was try and encapsulate the story into a short description that would get across the excitement of the plot and give it a hook. It was pretty hard to do since I'm so close to the story in its entirety. On top of that, I fully understand that an adaptation for the screen will diverge from the comic in various ways, but they've been clear it won't be taken in any direction I have a problem with. The comic will always be owned and created by myself only, but a large project like a show or animation will necessarily have a lot of people involved and I'd be really eager to see what real artists and writers would bring to the table.

But Tom, you absolutely are a real artist and writer.

In regards to today's comic, why exactly does this even need to be fixed? I don't think we've actually gotten a reason for why we can't just have two Annies.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

PubicMice posted:

In regards to today's comic, why exactly does this even need to be fixed? I don't think we've actually gotten a reason for why we can't just have two Annies.

Time is stopped/broken in the forest, and now the elves have been banished because Loup is a dick.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Plus, one of those spirits told the Annies that neither belonged there.
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2162

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PubicMice posted:

For all that they're getting along, I don't think either of them wants to have to share their life with another self in the long term.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Full res pic from that article:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

I would say Annie's most important near death experience is the one in which it is demonstrated that she is not in fact an orphan.

Well, technically you can be an orphan if your parents are dead OR abandoned you. Until he returned, Annie's dad definitely orphaned her.

PubicMice posted:

I think Annie(s) are assuming that they might get combined back together when the other things got fixed. But as Court Annie said, they haven't really thought about it too much, because, well... They doesn't know what happened either, or how to fix it anyway!

MikeJF posted:

Not a big fan of that image, I can't imagine why they wouldn't have Tom do the pitch art. The final series would likely have a style similar to the comic anyway to allow for easy animation.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 29, 2020

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tenebrais posted:

For all that they're getting along, I don't think either of them wants to have to share their life with another self in the long term.

It is considered both normal and necessary for their mental health for twins to be begin diverging their lives, interests, and social circles with the onset of adolescence.

Maybe Forest Annie develops a punk streak while Court Annie plays up the prim-and-proper librarian thing.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Nice to see you back in this thread, Tom. I hope your adaptation goes well :)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tea-san posted:

I'd be really eager to see what real artists and writers

Man, don't speak like that. :smith:

And welcome back, Glowy Dog Vision avatar.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tea-san posted:

real artists and writers
<:mad:>

Tea-san posted:

Klaus was a good film, I could see it. Are you going to tell some form of implied horrible post apocalyptic story in dribs and drabs through expository after credits scenes?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I am most excited to hear the voices.
I just hope that all the voice actor will have the thickest British dialects possible. And maybe the Elves sound Irish, given their names. Coyote is a desert redneck on meth.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

It is appropriate to alter a story when adapting it into a different medium.

Don't tell any fandom this. They'll lynch you.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Coyote should be the only character with an American accent.

Ysengrin and Rey should be heavily French.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Coyote should speak with a different voice every scene.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Head not a football, 0/10

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Begemot posted:

What about Jones?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

What about Jones?

Jones would be whatever the dominant dialect of the court is, but monotone. She tries to blend in with the local culture as best as a robot can.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Tenebrais posted:

I still don't get the full details of the whole Annies thing, but there are 2 timelines with missing Annies in them, right? That's something that oughta be fixed.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tom, I hope the license to adapt your story into animation finds a team that loves it enough to be brave with it.

Warmachine posted:

Don't tell any fandom this. They'll lynch you.

I fear no fandom.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Samuringa posted:

I still don't get the full details of the whole Annies thing, but there are 2 timelines with missing Annies in them, right? That's something that oughta be fixed.

It depends on your view of infinity. Either there are or each of those timelines simply stole 2 Annies so there aren’t any empty timelines.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blasmeister posted:

It depends on your view of infinity. Either there are or each of those timelines simply stole 2 Annies so there aren’t any empty timelines.

Whatshisname's hotel, which I should probably look up if I'm going to reference but won't because calling myself out on it is funnier. At least to me.

It's a very boring day.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Three, since this timeline is missing their Annie as well.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Warmachine posted:

Holy poo poo, we're about two months shy of 15 YEARS.

Tea-san posted:

I'd be really eager to see what real artists and writers would bring to the table.

15 years and Tom still doesn't see how awesome he is. :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

What about Jones?

Jones should be voiced by Gillian Anderson

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

That image of Renard/Sivo and Annie is just a colour key to set the mood of the environment and it was made by one of the artists at Magnesium who happens to be a reader of the comic. It's not supposed to suggest a style or anything as it's early even for that! They did another image too that I should post somewhere.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Prove it! Select all images with traffic signs in them!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tea-san posted:

That image of Renard/Sivo and Annie is just a colour key to set the mood of the environment and it was made by one of the artists at Magnesium who happens to be a reader of the comic. It's not supposed to suggest a style or anything as it's early even for that! They did another image too that I should post somewhere.

Fair enough! It's not even a bad image, and I actually love how Rey looks in it - and for colour + mood it knocks it out of the park. It's just that Annie looks a bit odd, she reminds me of the protagonist in Braid. Not a bad thing, but a bit jarring based on your actual style.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The weird thing is, I know you've moved on from the early art style, but it was kinda kinetic and line simpler, making it an almost animation style. Not saying it should look like that, just funny how these things evolve.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

cant cook creole bream posted:

I am most excited to hear the voices.
I just hope that all the voice actor will have the thickest British dialects possible. And maybe the Elves sound Irish, given their names. Coyote is a desert redneck on meth.

I really liked this lip synching exercise someone (I think it was from /co/?) had done for Annie (voice is from a Kate Rusby interview):

https://s2.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/wsg/image/1483/70/1483704073383.webm

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
This is also awesome:

https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/1222553954506235907

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Pun fully intended

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Intend your puns, weaklings

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Begemot posted:

Which logically means Loup should have a Quebecois accent :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bruceski posted:

Whatshisname's hotel, which I should probably look up if I'm going to reference but won't because calling myself out on it is funnier. At least to me.

It's a very boring day.
Hilbert?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Loving that that cover stealthily has the two Annies pictured without it being a spoiler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mraagvpeine posted:

I am ecstatic that an animated series is being made. I just wonder, will it be 3D or 2D CGI? Or hell, hand drawn?

It needs to be animated and narrated by Coyote.