Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
You filthy ezekiel chokers might like Renzo's plastic bag choke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga78TY1Wx_I
I'd just use an actual plastic bag.

butros posted:

Link? Will this impact just ibjjf or any grappling tournament in NY?
Any grappling tournament. As a practical matter, this means it all moves to NJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Yuns posted:

Well poo poo. It’s already a pain going to the ones in NYC outside of GI at Baruch but going to Nj is pretty much a no go for my non-car having self.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
NYSAC really do love to shoot themselves in the foot huh.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I think it's based on a regulation that existed but wasn't strictly enforced before for grappling but here is the requirement:

(a) prior to any match or exhibition, each combatant must have and submit an annual physical examination performed by a physician, including laboratory bloodwork demonstrating negative test results for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), Hepatitis B (HBsAg) and Hepatitis C.

In addition, a pre-match physical examination of each combatant must be conducted prior to the start of each match and within 36 hours of each match by a physician, and the physician must certify upon the conclusion of the examination that it is the professional medical opinion of the examining physician that the combatant is medically fit to safely compete in the combative sport match or exhibition;

(b) at least one ambulance with medical personnel consisting of at least one paramedic with appropriate resuscitation equipment must be continuously present, and no match or exhibition may proceed unless such ambulance and paramedic are available and on site;

(c) at least one physician must be continuously present at ringside during any match or exhibition, and a post-match medical evaluation of each combatant shall be conducted by an on-site physician immediately following the match;

So Grappling Industries got a waiver but eliminating spectator fees but it's only a waiver.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 28, 2020

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Stupid AF if true

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

So is this just a universal feeling? Like I have some stuff that works but I tend to think of it as "my tricks" and not like actually doing something well. I suck at jiu jitsu but have a few tricks. Is that how other people mentally think of this stuff too?

I fondly refer to my leglock game as "my bullshit". As you progress through BJJ, you will develop your own personal style. These are the collection of techniques that work best for you, and here's the thing. If you catch people with "your bullshit" guess what, that poo poo works. Your opponent didn't tap because they were confused, it was because they had no other option than to tap.

So I may jokingly refer to it as such, but a more honest assessment is "the game that you've developed in your training is far more effective against opponents who haven't seen you constantly refine it over your life of training in the sport."

"Your bullshit" just rolls off the tongue better.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Yuns posted:

That is slick. I like the way he explains it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yuns posted:

God if I hit this while I'm in Japan I'll be so happy. Love these kinds of chokes.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Welp, my son got a staph infection on the mat and had to go to the pediatric ER to get it cut open and drained.

It looked just like a pimple/ingrown hair until he came home from school and it was bigger, very red, and swollen. Took him to his pediatrician immediately and the pediatrician said to take him to the er immediately and that he would be calling the er while we were driving.

Scary poo poo. He's ok now (on antibiotics).

I'm going to be having a frank talk with the black belts running our gym, particularly about their insistence that "You never wash your belt, lol." which they told the kids the other day when I asked about replacing stripes that come off in the washing machine.

The way they wash their mats is to spray a water/clorox mix on the mats and mop it around with a swiffer looking thing. Is that pretty good? Is there something better I could recommend they do?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Bleach is fine. Probably better than anything else but personal hygiene is critical. Most of the staph/MRSA gets passed directly person to person.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Is there something better I could recommend they do?

Yes. Burn the mats after every session (might get expensive).

But seriously, I got Staph once but it was in the weirdest spot, on my chest and under my rash guard and Gi, which I wash nightly after every session. Not sure how that happened. My doctor told me that it would go away by itself and didnt even put me on antibiotics and sure enough it did go away by itself.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
A gym actually telling people, especially kids, not to wash their belts is a big loving problem.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Yes. Burn the mats after every session (might get expensive).

But seriously, I got Staph once but it was in the weirdest spot, on my chest and under my rash guard and Gi, which I wash nightly after every session. Not sure how that happened. My doctor told me that it would go away by itself and didnt even put me on antibiotics and sure enough it did go away by itself.

This isn't the first infection. Previously impetigo ran through (my son got that there too).

I would lean more towards it being a fluke if it was a one off thing.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

A gym actually telling people, especially kids, not to wash their belts is a big loving problem.

Yeah, our stripes (my kid's and mine) come off in the wash and I was asking the desk guy for some tape to put them back on when the instructor called me out in front of everyone and asked why my stripes were coming off. I said because I wash my gi every day and that's when they made the comments.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 28, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

At Renzo Gracie Academy, our policy is that you wash your belt just like every other part of your gear after every training session. You can't come back to another class later in the same day with the same gi/no gi gear. After the last round of eye infections, there are now shoe racks in the entrance and indoor slippers are required in the gym off the mat. If you have a skin abnormality, you can't train until cleared by a doctor, and we'll actually do skin checks in John's classes. If you're not sure, you have to ask an instructor. and everyone is allowed to bring up someone else's hygiene issue to them directly or to an instructor. You can get booted for knowingly training with a skin infection.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yuns posted:

At Renzo Gracie Academy, our policy is that you wash your belt just like every other part of your gear after every training session. You can't come back to another class later in the same day with the same gi/no gi gear. After the last round of eye infections, there are now shoe racks in the entrance and indoor slippers are required in the gym off the mat. If you have a skin abnormality, you can't train until cleared by a doctor, and we'll actually do skin checks in John's classes. If you're not sure, you have to ask an instructor. and everyone is allowed to bring up someone else's hygiene issue to them directly or to an instructor. You can get booted for knowingly training with a skin infection.

This sounds really good.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Last year I went ahead and bought a belt to go with each gi, so it's all one package.

I give zero shits about belt magic.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
My gym has plenty of showers for its size and provides towels, which seems to contribute well to an overall attitude of "keep your poo poo clean". Only wishlist thing I could really ask for would be a foot-washing station like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azpzJNujT3o&t=90s

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Yuns posted:

Why would anyone have an issue with any of this.

Though question, what does a a skin check consist of? Everyone lifts their rashguard while the instructor gives a once over for lesions?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nestharken posted:

My gym has plenty of showers for its size and provides towels, which seems to contribute well to an overall attitude of "keep your poo poo clean". Only wishlist thing I could really ask for would be a foot-washing station like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azpzJNujT3o&t=90s

My gym has a foot bath like this that you have to use before getting on the mats. It's unclear to me whether it is helpful or harmful.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xguard86 posted:

Last year I went ahead and bought a belt to go with each gi, so it's all one package.

I give zero shits about belt magic.

Same.

Also here in Korea (compared to my gym in the US) it seems everyone washes theirs hands and feet after changing but before going onto the mat. Some people are also doing a full on shower before and after training as well.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Here thread, have a leglock https://www.facebook.com/NYCombatSambo/videos/1441906829319157/

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

ha, i wouldn't sprawl like that because i would have no idea what was happening to me and just die instantly some other way!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

I got a super fight on Feb 8 at Who's #1 (fight 2 win)!! tune into FloGrappling at around 4PM PST to watch me strangle this dude.

Nice! Ill be watching.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here thread, have a PMP tweet about his upcoming Submission Underground match with Ragin' Al

https://twitter.com/PlatinumPerry/status/1222288278566555648

Also this had me cackling.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 29, 2020

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

drat guys I actually withdrew from F2W due to some family poo poo I got going on right now. Sucks and hope I'll get another opportunity soon.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

heeebrew posted:

drat guys I actually withdrew from F2W due to some family poo poo I got going on right now. Sucks and hope I'll get another opportunity soon.

brutal. but life poo poo happens. hope you get the opportunity again too.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

heeebrew posted:

Sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to watching some goongrappling.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

butros posted:

Why would anyone have an issue with any of this.

Though question, what does a a skin check consist of? Everyone lifts their rashguard while the instructor gives a once over for lesions?
For now just handing in our card directly to John who does a quick once over of exposed skin but if the issue continued, the senior blackbelts were seriously going to make guys line up shirtless in the locker room for skin inspection.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Awww poo poo. Are you planning on doing another F2W here in the future?

I still want to check out that fight. Robson Rezende who is a friend of my Professors and who Ive learned a lot from will be fighting as well.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Yuns posted:

For now just handing in our card directly to John who does a quick once over of exposed skin but if the issue continued, the senior blackbelts were seriously going to make guys line up shirtless in the locker room for skin inspection.

How do you guys deal with psoriasis? I have it. It's not contagious, but during active phase, I have a lot to explain in grappling gym.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Pyle posted:

How do you guys deal with psoriasis? I have it. It's not contagious, but during active phase, I have a lot to explain in grappling gym.
We have some people with psoriasis. You just explain it. If we believe you, you stay and train.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The "doctor's note" thing seems harsh to me. Aren't doctors like crazy expensive in the states? Or is there a way to go get checked over on the cheap.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
At our gym I told my coach about my ringworm and they said "oh yeah no problem you can keep training just tell your partners to take a good shower afterwards"

:gonk:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Jerome Louis posted:

At our gym I told my coach about my ringworm and they said "oh yeah no problem you can keep training just tell your partners to take a good shower afterwards"

:gonk:

Shouldn't that read "at my former gym?"

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

CommonShore posted:

The "doctor's note" thing seems harsh to me. Aren't doctors like crazy expensive in the states? Or is there a way to go get checked over on the cheap.
If you take yourself off the mat and come back after being healed up no one will ask for one. But if we catch you trying to come onto the mat with an infection, then a doctor's note isn't harsh at all. You've lost all trust.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Coronavirus has postponed my back to back weekends of tournaments so now I'm left debating if I should ask for a refund or still compete (but at a bluebelt level for No Gi) as my coach implied I'll be getting promoted ahead of the Kids Programming starting in March.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mekchu posted:

Coronavirus has postponed my back to back weekends of tournaments so now I'm left debating if I should ask for a refund or still compete (but at a bluebelt level for No Gi) as my coach implied I'll be getting promoted ahead of the Kids Programming starting in March.

what's the healthcare system like in, er, you're in korea right? does your job pay for sick leave? the answers to both of these should steer you right.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marching Powder posted:

what's the healthcare system like in, er, you're in korea right? does your job pay for sick leave? the answers to both of these should steer you right.

This is just a precaution. There are like 5 ppl in the whole countey atm reported to have it. 1 is the only real true case of it as the others are under observation for symptoms.

Korea has an NHS meaning I'm fully covered. Sick days are a bit of a rough thing since private academies (like the one I work for) aren't hugely happy to let you miss days as the word can reach parents and then they conplain or pull kids etc (my shool is usually OK with us taking days off so long as we show a doctor's report). There's a lot of overreacting when it comes to Korea and medical stuff. A kid I know got a literal papercut on her hand and the parents had her wear basically workmans gloves til it healed.

My dad is a retired Epidemiologist and he's not freaking out right now so I'm not overly worried about it. Just remember that Wuhan Virus Ain't Nottin' To gently caress Wit.

Edit - Also hopefully this doesnt mean my tournament in Japan this weekend has been canceled as well.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 30, 2020

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Should I even be thinking about joining a tournament as a 1 stripe white belt? There's a New Breed tournament in my city later this year and I'm kind of thinking about joining, for the extra practice if nothing else. I know I don't have a prayer of winning anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do it and be surprised when you win gold.