Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Plot armour is when Indiana Jones survives a nuclear explosion by hiding in a fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Plot armor is pedantry, meta analysis is an unending abyss, and TVTropes is a blight.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Skypie posted:

I don't think this tracks with what we've seen from All For One though. Like, the dude gave himself away before his regeneration was complete to bail out Shigaraki and all his subordinates. He didn't kill any of them for failing, and if he felt they were no longer useful (and they absolutely weren't because they totally misjudged their mark and got busted by police within like 48 hours), he'd have just let them get locked up in turbo jail.

Instead he jumps in, knowing he's gonna have to tangle with All Might again and gets the entire league out, more or less unharmed. I'm sure AfO smoked some dudes in the past, but I also don't think he or Shigaraki are characterized as generic evil guys who kill people for making mistakes. AFO himself more or less tells Shigaraki that it's ok to mess up so long as you try again.

I don't see Overhaul taking that track with anyone

That's all fair but I think it's also fair to say Tomura is a very, very special case. Lots of theories about why exactly AfO looks out for him so much but the point is, he doesn't have that kind of relationship with anyone else. For all we know, the last person he cared about was his brother who died decades ago.

One thing that gets totally overlooked in the series is the Nomu. They have to be the single cruelest and most hosed up things we've seen from AfO but they don't get much attention at all. The USJ Nomu was some low level criminal, maybe a bottom rung underling of AfO, who he turned into this mindless abomination..That's what all Nomu are but our heroes don't seem to reflect on these poor tortured human beings. I have to wonder how many are still "alive."

All for One is certainly too intelligent to just off people on a whim but does he actually care for anyone besides Tomura? I don't think so.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

NikkolasKing posted:

All for One is certainly too intelligent to just off people on a whim but does he actually care for anyone besides Tomura? I don't think so.
Does he even care about Tomura? I thought the only reason he was making him into his successor was to get at All Might since he's related to the previous One for All user.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
e: No dadgum spoilers, please. :colbert:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 29, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Does he even care about Tomura? I thought the only reason he was making him into his successor was to get at All Might since he's related to the previous One for All user.

That was probably his initial motivation but it's hardly rare in stories or real life for such motives to decay with time. You take in this boy with the sole goal of using him as a weapon against your enemy but eventually come to have some genuine affection for him.

As noted by the poster I replied to, All for One threw himself into a fight he knew he could very easily lose for the sole sake of protecting Tomura. He could have easily left them all to be imprisoned and lost nothing.

I guess you could argue it's more a Darth Bane situation than actual feeling. He sees the future of the dark side in Shigaraki and wants to nurture and protect that as opposed to caring about Tomura.

But the point is, he sees some value in Tomura beyond just sticking it to All Might.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 29, 2020

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Skypie posted:

I don't think this tracks with what we've seen from All For One though. Like, the dude gave himself away before his regeneration was complete to bail out Shigaraki and all his subordinates. He didn't kill any of them for failing, and if he felt they were no longer useful (and they absolutely weren't because they totally misjudged their mark and got busted by police within like 48 hours), he'd have just let them get locked up in turbo jail.

Instead he jumps in, knowing he's gonna have to tangle with All Might again and gets the entire league out, more or less unharmed. I'm sure AfO smoked some dudes in the past, but I also don't think he or Shigaraki are characterized as generic evil guys who kill people for making mistakes. AFO himself more or less tells Shigaraki that it's ok to mess up so long as you try again.

Where is this reading coming from? All for One didn't go into that fight expecting to lose. He didn't have to balance out the costs of maintaining his little revenge project, knowing he'd face All Might again was a /plus/ because he could gently caress with him more.

edit:

NikkolasKing posted:

That was probably his initial motivation but it's hardly rare in stories or real life for such motives to decay with time. You take in this boy with the sole goal of using him as a weapon against your enemy but eventually come to have some genuine affection for him.

As noted by the poster I replied to, All for One threw himself into a fight he knew he could very easily lose for the sole sake of protecting Tomura. He could have easily left them all to be imprisoned and lost nothing.

You too? All for One expected All Might to be weakening, to be vulnerable. He has this whole monologue about suspecting All Might passed on One for All and was using "the lingering dregs" of power to keep going. He did not loving martyr himself for Shigaraki.

booksnake fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 29, 2020

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
My counterpoint to the idea that Shigaraki's view of his subordinates doesn't contrast with Overhaul's, even if you believe Shigaraki legit doesn't care about the current league, is that Shigaraki, at the very least, understands the people he works with well enough to orchestrate a plan entirely dependent on his knowing what they would if he left their actions to their own judgement. A plan that could have been foiled if only Overhaul had thought to ask if they were considering betraying him as opposed to if there was any plans in place to do so. Because the Hissaikai wouldn't make plays without his orders (and he's wrong about that too, because Kronostasis made a call of his own after Chisaki was down).

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

It seems obvious they're trying to do a villain parallel group to the current hero group and that parallel would be way more interesting if the villains actually gave a poo poo about eachother to some degree

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the league immediately started sharpening their knives against overhaul because he killed one of their own and toga and twice had each other's backs during their entire op within the yakuza's HQ

they give a poo poo about each other and you're deliberately blinding yourself to the events onscreen if you haven't clued into that by now

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That's not even getting into Shigaraki going from "Show him the door" to immediately trying to murder Overhaul on the spot for killing Magne.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

No one is denying Toga and Twice care about each other. They are outcasts who actively sought out companionship which is why they are in the League in the first place. Shigaraki meanwhile assembled his team of pawns for the purpose of destroying Hero society.

Shigaraki has never been framed as wanting friends or affection.. He's a selfish brat from the beginning to now, he's just more competent than he used to be.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That's not even getting into Shigaraki going from "Show him the door" to immediately trying to murder Overhaul on the spot for killing Magne.

That's very easy to explain. He killed Shigaraki's underling. He took away Tomura's possession.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

No one is denying Toga and Twice care about each other. They are outcasts who actively sought out companionship

Expressly not why Toga joined.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Adder Moray posted:

Expressly not why Toga joined.

Fair enough. She was a Stain follower, right?

My mistake.

Of course she's as crazy as Shigaraki so I have no idea what she saw in Stain.

edit:

Maybe I just need to rewatch Season 4 again from start to where we are now and without the weekly wait periods and I'll pick up on this character development in Tomura. I'm just having a hard time believing the character we've seen for three seasons now is capable of caring about really anyone except All for One.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 29, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i dunno if "shigaraki loves and respects his fellow villains" is terribly accurate but the contrast between how shigaraki treats his underlings and how overhaul treats his underlings is pretty apparent

"shigaraki loves and respects his underlings" seems to be a direction that he's headed in, where he isn't there yet but this is the first evidence we're seeing of that kind of growth manifesting

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

No one is denying Toga and Twice care about each other. They are outcasts who actively sought out companionship which is why they are in the League in the first place. Shigaraki meanwhile assembled his team of pawns for the purpose of destroying Hero society.

Shigaraki has never been framed as wanting friends or affection.. He's a selfish brat from the beginning to now, he's just more competent than he used to be.

That's very easy to explain. He killed Shigaraki's underling. He took away Tomura's possession.

Shigaraki's entire plan is 100% reliant on Toga and Twice acting without any orders. It's a plan that hinges entirely on Shigaraki having absolute, unbending trust in his allies. A plan that he makes clear by asking them to trust him, something Shigaraki would've never done before.

He's changed. He genuinely cares for his allies. You see Shigaraki's issues but not his positive points. He's learned about companionship, and it's no surprise that he finally, for once, succeeds now - Shigaraki has understood what all shonen protagonists know and gained the ultimate shonen power: Friendship.

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair enough. She was a Stain follower, right?

My mistake.

Of course she's as crazy as Shigaraki so I have no idea what she saw in Stain.

Her fetish is people covered in blood. Stain, a person that constantly draws blood from everyone he aims at, fits perfectly in that. Toga has no interest in Stain's ideals, she's just into him.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's also probably worth noticing that the Hissaikai weren't loyal to Overhaul, all their loyalties were distinctly to the old boss, and they only followed Overhaul out of respect for the chain of command. No one seemed to particularly like Overhaul. Meanwhile, even if Tomura doesn't care much for his followers, they certainly care about him and are loyal to him personally. (Of course, this varies too; some are more in it for the end goal, or just to to get their jollies being evil. But the ones that get the most focus are loyal.)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Shigaraki goes from saying "I'm the next leader" when he first meets Overhaul to "We'll be the next leaders" at the end.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenebrais posted:

It's also probably worth noticing that the Hissaikai weren't loyal to Overhaul, all their loyalties were distinctly to the old boss, and they only followed Overhaul out of respect for the chain of command. No one seemed to particularly like Overhaul. Meanwhile, even if Tomura doesn't care much for his followers, they certainly care about him and are loyal to him personally. (Of course, this varies too; some are more in it for the end goal, or just to to get their jollies being evil. But the ones that get the most focus are loyal.)

A few of Overhaul's men liked him specifically. Shin Nemoto and Chronostasis in particular. I think Mimic as well.

Most were either suicidal/purposeless, afraid, or, as you say, more loyal to the institution than to him, and of course Rappa literally wanted to kill him, but he did have a few "friends". Of course, given what happened to Shin, that might have all been one-way, outside maybe Chrono, but the exceptions were still important.

Fabricated posted:

Shigaraki goes from saying "I'm the next leader" when he first meets Overhaul to "We'll be the next leaders" at the end.

Yeah, that's a good, simple indicator of how he's changed over the course of this arc.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fair enough to all the people arguing for Shigaraki genuinely caring for the League. I concede that.

Tenebrais posted:

As Roland notes, he had a few people very loyal to him. The arc gave me strong flashbacks to Naruto and specifically Orochimaru and Kimimaro. "In my darkest hour he appeared to me and saved me and I will pledge my undying loyalty to him no matter what he does to me or others."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

During All For One’s big final battle he was legitimately angry at All Might for having put away so many of his allies. Just as much as All Might was a symbol for hero society, All For One was the symbol for villain society, and Shigaraki is slowly moving towards becoming the next symbol.

It’s what really makes All for One and Shigaraki cool characters, because they are such direct parallels to All Might and Midoriya and even share some of their positive qualities, just flipped around to apply to villainy instead of heroism.

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 30, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Toga’s interest in Stain is at least somewhat multi-faceted. She likes blood yes, but she also explicitly wants a society where she can live free and happy, which not the same as what Stain wanted but is the same change society ideal.

Plus Stain and her both have to ingest blood to use their quirks which in her cracked mind probably makes their connection even stronger.

Augus posted:

During All For One’s big final battle he was legitimately angry at All Might for having put away so many of his allies. Just as much as All Might was a symbol for hero society, All For One was the symbol for villain society, and Shigaraki is slowly moving towards becoming the next symbol.

It’s what really makes All for One and Shigaraki cool characters, because they are such direct parallels to All Might and Midoriya and even share some of their positive qualities, just flipped around to apply to villainy instead of heroism.

Also this, All for One may or may not have truly cared for his people, but he definitely made it look like he did, and Shigaraki is being guided in those footsteps, so him developing actual care and the real power of friendship is a solid arc to read into his stuff this season.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Its worth noting that Toga also wants to kill Stain and then become him, because she's just that kind of crazy gal. She doesn't care about his ideology specifically, she just wants him for his body in the most literal sense possible. She joined the League to get closer to that and also because its tough for her to be herself in polite society.

Toga's interesting in that her Quirk seems to have radically affected her personality, since she's obsessed with peoples blood and with transforming into people she's attracted to. No other character revolves around their quirk to the same extent iirc.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Nephthys posted:

Its worth noting that Toga also wants to kill Stain and then become him, because she's just that kind of crazy gal. She doesn't care about his ideology specifically, she just wants him for his body in the most literal sense possible. She joined the League to get closer to that and also because its tough for her to be herself in polite society.

Toga's interesting in that her Quirk seems to have radically affected her personality, since she's obsessed with peoples blood and with transforming into people she's attracted to. No other character revolves around their quirk to the same extent iirc.

Twice. He's the way he is because of the self-cloning incident.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Once cloned, Twice shy

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Jackard posted:

Once cloned, Twice shy

Never trust anyone, not even yourself.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Nephthys posted:

I think Toga is a really great antagonist. Her interactions with Uraraka and Tsu during the training camp were good, her mega-crush on Deku, and that she actually thinks when under pressure make her a lot of fun to watch.

Also she has fantastic murder faces when she gets angry

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is impressively clean product placement.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is impressively clean product placement.

Deku stole the 10th Anniversary All Might poster from Nighteye's office!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rhonne posted:

Deku stole the 10th Anniversary All Might poster from Nighteye's office!

Well, it's not like he needs it any more.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“Oh noooo, all this rare merch is going to be thrown away. I’ll take it off your hands...”

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Remember mind control guy who, in spite of having a traditionally evil power, really wanted to be a hero?

How many villains have had clearly evil quirks and were thus evil? Usually any blood-related power is pretty evil and Stain and Toga are both bad guys. Shigaraki can decay and destroys people and that's a pretty horrifying power so he's evil.

I don't think we've seen any heroes since brainwash kid that have "evil" quirks.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think we've seen any heroes since brainwash kid that have "evil" quirks.

There's Gang Orca, the terrifying monster with a scream that blasts people away.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Tokoyami straight-up went berserk during the Camp Raid.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What defines an "evil" quirk though? Endeavor sets people on fire for a living, 13 creates mini black holes that can suck anything up, Tokoyami has a crazy shadow spirit that gets more violent in the dark, and Mina can melt people's faces off with her acid. Would you call any of those quirks "evil"?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

How many villains have had clearly evil quirks and were thus evil? Usually any blood-related power is pretty evil and Stain and Toga are both bad guys. Shigaraki can decay and destroys people and that's a pretty horrifying power so he's evil.

Vlad has a blood quirk and is doing just fine as a hero.

Also there is the meat cube boy who just showed up again last episode.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rhonne posted:

What defines an "evil" quirk though? Endeavor sets people on fire for a living, 13 creates mini black holes that can suck anything up, Tokoyami has a crazy shadow spirit that gets more violent in the dark, and Mina can melt people's faces off with her acid. Would you call any of those quirks "evil"?

please note that if anyone has the gall to call my good friend dark shadow evil then i will slay you with a mighty kung fu chop

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rhonne posted:

I guess it's all in how the narrative presents it. Yes, Mina could do some horrific damage with her quirk but she's mostly just used it to...skate around? We're never going to see her burn off somebody's face.

@ all the examples given

Fair enough.

I guess I'm just saying it's no surprise Toga is a bad person with a quirk like that. Just as Twice's quirk turned him into a crazy man. If you have the power to disintegrate people with a touch, it's very possible you're gonna end up ostracized by society. It's unsurprising these folks ended up as bad people with the powers they were burdened with is all I was trying to say.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Centipeder is a good man with a horrifying visage and Quirk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Even among the core League members, Toga is the only person with a distinctly bad guy quirk. Even Shigaraki could spend his time decaying rubble after disasters and stuff if he felt like it.