Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I admit rhat season 2 of Disco is better then the first. That being said all the twists and the ending is some real bad mary sue anime plot bullshit. That cool alien they tease though the whole season is actually Michael's mom! Actually actually it's Micheal herself because she is the chosen anime protagonist.

Edit: page snipe with lovely Disco bitching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HD DAD posted:

I’d argue season 1 goes uphill for a bit after this, then takes a dive again for the finale. But yes, season 2 is very noticeably better.

I strenuously disagree that spending a third of the season loving around in the mirror-verse is "uphill".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Rewatched the Disco/Enterprise/S31 battle again, and it has to be the least satisfying thing to watch. Like there is nothing to actually focus on because its a mess of a million swarming drones, 0.001 second snap-cuts, and motion blur.

gently caress YOU JJ and your ham-fisted Michael Bay-style star trek battle poo poo that everyone now has to copy . . . for reasons.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There is one decent ship battle in all of Star Trek and it's in Wrath of Khan.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Blistex posted:

Rewatched the Disco/Enterprise/S31 battle again, and it has to be the least satisfying thing to watch. Like there is nothing to actually focus on because its a mess of a million swarming drones, 0.001 second snap-cuts, and motion blur.

gently caress YOU JJ and your ham-fisted Michael Bay-style star trek battle poo poo that everyone now has to copy . . . for reasons.

In JJ Abrams defense, he seemed to do it a lot better than the people ripping him off (ROS notwithstanding, and I haven't seen the other poo poo in years). The people aping his style in discovery (from what I've seen) do a terrible job, and seem to play it up and shove it in to every scene instead of using his style sparingly for key moments.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

wrath of khans battle is just re-done Balance of Terror

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Defiant versus the Mirror Klingon Star Destroyer rules

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rutibex posted:

wrath of khans battle is just re-done Balance of Terror
The addition of Ricardo Montalban is what elevates it above anything else.

Trek fights in TOS/TNG are boring because SFX costs money. DS9 mostly continues that tend with the occasional pew pew Defiant shoots a thing scene, and Disco just goes full nonsense.

I don't actually remember any from ENT so they probably sucked.

Absolutely none of them make any goddamn sense within the universe.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'd say The Doomsday Machine was pretty decent. (And yes, it counts as a ship battle, even if one of the ships is a gigantic concrete robot windsock.)

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

No love for Star Trek VI's final battle where the Enterprise and Excelsior spend a solid twenty minutes getting their collective poo poo pushed in while Christopher Plummer rattles off Shakespeare quotes before being Deus Ex Machina'ed to Sto'Vo'Kor?

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Trek fights in TOS/TNG are boring because SFX costs money. DS9 mostly continues that tend with the occasional pew pew Defiant shoots a thing scene, and Disco just goes full nonsense.

DS9 got quite a bit of ship carnage in later seasons. I always assumed it was because CGI was making such things relatively cheap to produce.

It was always weird to me in those huge DS9 fleet battles how shields were seemingly no longer a thing. Shots from both sides would blow holes through their targets even if it was a first hit.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 29, 2020

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

it must suck to realize you're on a ship that doesn't have a show about it and you exist only to blow up as a warning to others

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fabulousity posted:

No love for Star Trek VI's final battle where the Enterprise and Excelsior spend a solid twenty minutes getting their collective poo poo pushed in while Christopher Plummer rattles off Shakespeare quotes before being Deus Ex Machina'ed to Sto'Vo'Kor?

DS9 got quite a bit of ship carnage in later seasons. I always assumed it was because CGI was making such things relatively cheap to produce.

It was always weird to me in those huge DS9 fleet battles how shields were seemingly no longer a thing. Shots from both sides would blow holes through their targets even if it was a first hit.

Shields on redshirt ships of all races are powered by the inverse of the COOL factor of the situation they’re in. As COOL goes up, shield effectiveness goes down.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The addition of Ricardo Montalban is what elevates it above anything else.

I don't actually remember any from ENT so they probably sucked.

Absolutely none of them make any goddamn sense within the universe.

ENT was a better show than people give it credit for. It absolutely suffered from "THIS AINT YER DADDY'S TREK," but was overall solid. The battles felt more urgent because of how lovely the NX-01 was. No shields, pea shooters for phasers, and a rubberband as an engine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Maybe the Vulcans came up with the map, which is why Earth is so awkwardly positioned.

That seems likely. When the Vulcans showed up Earth was in shambles after the wars and the scientific community probably wasn't concerned with developing a standardized galactic coordinate mapping system when we couldn't even leave our own solar system.

And the vulcans might not have developed that mapping system either, they could have picked it up from the first warp-capable species they met.

PenisMonkey posted:

But they do it when he’s not even around.

Probably just a TV thing to avoid confusing the audience. She could look like anything, but the audience will have trouble connecting with the character if one week she's a female Odo and the next week she's a loving seagull or something.

I, for one, don't think Starfleet should be recruiting 4 year olds.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fabulousity posted:

I had already retrieved my fedora and katana to buoy my righteous fury while making this post. Thank you for your service, m'goon.

Watching that pissant little ship kick the crap out of the two big dogs of the Federation while Plummer chews scenery and swivels in his chair is a thing of beauty.

I do have to give the first fight (interrupted as it is by the bluff/prefix code, making it more than pew pew) from TWoK the nod though.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

my favourite battle is that one where red squad gets hosed up big time

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

GolfHole posted:

my favourite battle is that one where red squad gets hosed up big time

very rare Bad Nog Episode but at least they all ate poo poo and died at the end

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I, for one, don't think Starfleet should be recruiting 4 year olds.

So you're saying no Jem'Hadar in Starfleet, huh? Seems kind of bigoted to me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EimiYoshikawa posted:

So you're saying no Jem'Hadar in Starfleet, huh? Seems kind of bigoted to me.

That's an interesting point. During the war the Dominion started producing new Jem'Hadar locally. After winning the war, would the Federation shutting down the cloning facilities be be genocide?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
There's can be Jem'Hadar in Starfleet, but only if they're addicted to small talk.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's an interesting point. During the war the Dominion started producing new Jem'Hadar locally. After winning the war, would the Federation shutting down the cloning facilities be be genocide?

i have no opinion on that but i love love loved that episode where the new'hadar and the old school'hadar had tensions. i love how they treated the jem'hadar in general, they almost immediately started complicating them and treating them like actual characters

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

CarpenterWalrus posted:

ENT was a better show than people give it credit for. It absolutely suffered from "THIS AINT YER DADDY'S TREK," but was overall solid. The battles felt more urgent because of how lovely the NX-01 was. No shields, pea shooters for phasers, and a rubberband as an engine.

I enjoyed it but it was very much american space cowboys.

Honestly I can never get enough phlox

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Finally was in a good mood and watched first episode of Picard. I liked it. It is not grimdark. I think it conveyed the idea that the Federation and Starfleet are just exhausted and reeling from everything and just a dose of optimism and some (non-military) victories would turn it around.

I liked many of the nods to TNG they went with but they didn't feel too forced to me. The off-screen redemption of Commander Maddox who once went to court because Data was just a machine was also very optimistic and I found it kind of touching.

I am hopeful for the show. :unsmith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Humble Bundle currently has a bundle with A shitload of Star Trek comics.

:siren: This includes the TNG Mirror Universe comics "Through the Mirror", "Mirror Broken", and a ST:VOY Mirror Comic: "Mirrors and Smoke". Captain Janeway is a Pirate Queen of the Delta Quadrant. :siren:

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Mudd ep is very good, Lorca is very good, finale is cool, season 2 is better.

No he isn't. He's a fine character riiiiight up until a nasty bit of exposition in episode 11 (I think it's 11, maybe 12?) where Empress Georgiou states that Lorca was a "surrogate father to Michael, groomed her [implying for greatness, but still], and when she came of age they became 'something more'". Dude's a bigger grooming pedophile than Neelix.

Xenocides posted:

Finally was in a good mood and watched first episode of Picard. I liked it. It is not grimdark. I think it conveyed the idea that the Federation and Starfleet are just exhausted and reeling from everything and just a dose of optimism and some (non-military) victories would turn it around.

I liked many of the nods to TNG they went with but they didn't feel too forced to me. The off-screen redemption of Commander Maddox who once went to court because Data was just a machine was also very optimistic and I found it kind of touching.

I am hopeful for the show. :unsmith:

Maddox never needed redeeming; They actually end that episode on fairly good terms and became friends. Data's Day is even part of regular correspondence between Data and Maddox.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 30, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i liked the fake voyager mirrior universe where the doctor is a genocidal android

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Maddox never needed redeeming; They actually end that episode on fairly good terms and became friends. Data's Day is even part of regular correspondence between Data and Maddox.

Kind of. Data forgave because he is good. I think the redemption I see is more the deep respect and tribute he pays to Data almost as recompense for what he tried to do to Data even if what he was trying to do seemed to him at the time to be innocent. I found it sweet anyways.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No he isn't. He's a fine character riiiiight up until a nasty bit of exposition in episode 11 (I think it's 11, maybe 12?) where Empress Georgiou states that Lorca was a "surrogate father to Michael, groomed her [implying for greatness, but still], and when she came of age they became 'something more'". Dude's a bigger grooming pedophile than Neelix.

Dang pedophiles, always waiting for children to become adults before making their move.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Powered Descent posted:

Dang pedophiles, always waiting for children to become adults before making their move.

Do you not understand the concept of "grooming"?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you not understand the concept of "grooming"?

Do you not understand "when she came of age"?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Powered Descent posted:

Do you not understand "when she came of age"?

Yeah, no, that doesn't make it better.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

trek thread living down to everyone's expectations :gonk:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Haha whoaa

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ah yes, the woody allen defense.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, no, that doesn't make it better.

It's still creepy as gently caress but it's in Woody Allen territory instead of Aatrek territory. (You REALLY see no difference between the two? Yikes.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i mean if only there was a name for priming underage kids in order to turn the relationship sexual as soon as they do come of age, and if only that specific word had been used, i feel like it would clear up this whole misunderstanding

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Keep digging, you'll get out of that hole eventually!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Pull up Trek thread, pull up!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Powered Descent posted:

It's still creepy as gently caress but it's in Woody Allen territory instead of Aatrek territory. (You REALLY see no difference between the two? Yikes.)

Yikes indeed; Dig up, stupid!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the time has come for the rest of us to begin pissing in the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Powered Descent posted:

I'm not interested in making a power ranking of sex crimes but yes grooming someone as a child when you're an adult is an incredibly hosed up and disgusting thing to do and is not something to take lightly