Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

They could bring back Ray Wise

For the longest time I could not believe that was really Ray Wise on Voyager. I thought it had to have been a different dude with the same name. But no, that was Ray Wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

zoux posted:

So the Vulcans have been warp capable for how many hundreds/thousands of years? Klingons too and presumably most everyone in the galaxy. So why are Humans the A number one species in the Federation

The usual sci-fi/space opera answer is "we're the most adaptable, the most prodigious breeders, and the most expansionist."

It would be interesting for a sci-fi setting to turn the "humans are the Default Creature and everyone else deviates from this median by being More Warlike or More Logical or More Empathetic" thing on its head and makes us the outliers from the median culture/temperament.

If we ever do conquer interstellar distances , maybe it'll turn out that we're the Klingons. We'll find the answer to the Femri paradox when we find the big billboard just outside our oort cloud that says "EXTREME HAZARD: Local dominant species is horrifically violent having spent their whole existence bashing eachother with everything from tapir bones to fission bombs. Attempt no landing or communication."

E: The board game Eclipse (I recommend it, it's good) makes humans the most gregarious, giving them an extra slot over the others for diplomatic alliances. That is probably close to the Trek answer.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 30, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

For the longest time I could not believe that was really Ray Wise on Voyager. I thought it had to have been a different dude with the same name. But no, that was Ray Wise.

Ray Wise does Tim & Eric stuff now, so I assume he’s basically up for anything.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Bring back Ron Canada.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

picard show was p. dece

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

So the Vulcans have been warp capable for how many hundreds/thousands of years? Klingons too and presumably most everyone in the galaxy. So why are Humans the A number one species in the Federation

Enterpise has a bit where the Vulcan ambassador quietly admits that they're actually kinda scared of humanity because of that.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

humans are vulcan's manic pixie dream girl

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Nitrousoxide posted:

Red letter has a Re:View of Picard and boy they don't like it.

For good reason. It’s a poorly written pretty show with nostalgic cues

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I give mosf everything 3 episodes to find its feet and set everything up to hit its storytelling rhythm. But this is putting off powerful Post 9/11 Skull Trek vibes and I would put my money down on it being the same misanthropic stuff masquerading as Trek we've put up with for decades with a thin patina of beloved pstew goodwill and nostalgia based on the first ep.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

gohmak posted:

For good reason. It’s a poorly written pretty show with nostalgic cues

I agree with most of that, but I wouldn't call Red Letter's stuff "pretty".

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Wait there actually isn't a film or an episode of a series that concerns the, at least partial (botched due to conflict?) attempts of evacuating Romulus by the Federation or something?

I know the more recent film and the alternative universe thing but I thought there was something more substantial.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Outside of comics/books there's nothing other then the first episode of Picard.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I have this toy but I think I lost the stand. Same for my golden Enterprise-D. :( It may be one of the few Trek toys I kept from childhood that is actually worth something, I'm not sure.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

istewart posted:

I have this toy but I think I lost the stand. Same for my golden Enterprise-D. :( It may be one of the few Trek toys I kept from childhood that is actually worth something, I'm not sure.

Mine's complete and sitting on a shelf right behind me. :smug:

I wonder if it is worth anything...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Owlbear Camus posted:

The usual sci-fi/space opera answer is "we're the most adaptable, the most prodigious breeders, and the most expansionist."

It would be interesting for a sci-fi setting to turn the "humans are the Default Creature and everyone else deviates from this median by being More Warlike or More Logical or More Empathetic" thing on its head and makes us the outliers from the median culture/temperament.

If we ever do conquer interstellar distances , maybe it'll turn out that we're the Klingons. We'll find the answer to the Femri paradox when we find the big billboard just outside our oort cloud that says "EXTREME HAZARD: Local dominant species is horrifically violent having spent their whole existence bashing eachother with everything from tapir bones to fission bombs. Attempt no landing or communication."

E: The board game Eclipse (I recommend it, it's good) makes humans the most gregarious, giving them an extra slot over the others for diplomatic alliances. That is probably close to the Trek answer.
I think I was in a discussion on this topic, and leaving aside the answers which were "I'm going to project my opinions on humanity," aka the real classic SF method -- the best answer would be that humans are unusually adaptable in diet and so on, and this might be anomalous even for intelligent life. Like they would be able to adapt, but aliens might need a narrower range of temperatures, or have more limited food sources, and so on.

Another possibility was physical endurance/pursuit, as opposed to being particularly strong, tough, etc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Here's a minute or so clip from what I assume is this week's episode where we get more information about the Borg Cube

POTENTIAL EPISODE SPOILERS

https://www.ign.com/videos/picard-take-a-closer-look-inside-the-borg-ship

I found it interesting that they refer to this as a 'Borg artifact', at least implying that the Collective is no more. Although the Romulan overseer does say that it could still be potentially dangerous. It's also pretty muffled but I think the guy says that this ship is Romulan property? Those people standing around are clearly Federation scientists (there is a background Andorian as well).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Here's a minute or so clip from what I assume is this week's episode where we get more information about the Borg Cube

POTENTIAL EPISODE SPOILERS

https://www.ign.com/videos/picard-take-a-closer-look-inside-the-borg-ship

I found it interesting that they refer to this as a 'Borg artifact', at least implying that the Collective is no more. Although the Romulan overseer does say that it could still be potentially dangerous. It's also pretty muffled but I think the guy says that this ship is Romulan property? Those people standing around are clearly Federation scientists (there is a background Andorian as well).

They seem to be going with the end of Voyager being truly cataclysmic for the Borg. Whatever Future Janeway did to them absolutely ruined them beyond recovery from all outward appearances. This also tracks with the backstory of Star Trek 2009 where Nero's ship was a Romulan mining ship outfitted with recovered tech from a dead Borg ship that then activated and self-replicated until it turned the ship into that monster of spikes and blades seen in the film before they got it under control.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kinda cool.

I think it's interesting how closely-related the Romulans and Borg became in almost all Trek media.

Even the Shatnerverse!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I hope we find out that all of the poo poo that Starfleet and the Federation are going through is all because they promoted Janeway to an admiral. It would be the ultimate payoff for Voyager.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hey, you guys know those two Romulans hanging out with Picard in his vineyard are Tal Shiar in love, right?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I was playing with the idea of this for a story once. Basically we are the Krogan. My story started like 100-200 years after first contact, during a class that humans have to go through before leaving the planet, teaching us that we can't act like we do on Earth, because we'd tear the poo poo out of everything.

Basically, like the rumored classes that Chinese citizens have to go through before getting passports.

First Contact involved a scene where the human knocked on the airlock door and tore thought the alien ship's door, and basically us being generally like bulls in china shops. Some humans are used as mercenary shock troops. Other races are absolutely horrified that we used weapons to launch ourselves into space instead of developing some kinda of gentle FTL.

Never got beyond the concept phase, but maybe I should play with it more.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why no short shiar?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

nine-gear crow posted:

They seem to be going with the end of Voyager being truly cataclysmic for the Borg. Whatever Future Janeway did to them absolutely ruined them beyond recovery from all outward appearances. This also tracks with the backstory of Star Trek 2009 where Nero's ship was a Romulan mining ship outfitted with recovered tech from a dead Borg ship that then activated and self-replicated until it turned the ship into that monster of spikes and blades seen in the film before they got it under control.

that could actually be an interesting big shift to start the new series with
- the borg are gone, their well had run dry and there wasn't anything else to do but make them more and more powerful
- the romulans are without a strong government but individually have powerful ships that are cobbled together with borg tech
- the federation is distrustful of synthetic lifeforms because of the borg's attacks in federation space (only like two ships really had any positive contact with artificial lifeforms -- the enterprise-d and voyager)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Why no short shiar?

You really think a species that values absolute uniformity in all things would be accepting of short people? Get outta here!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

One would think, since they're like loving scaly and Romulans aren't at all, but memory alpha just calls them a slave caste.

A bit further down, the Reman page says:

quote:

It has never been established in canon whether the Remans are an offshoot of the Romulans/Vulcans or if they completely separate species or even a cross-breed between Romulans and the original inhabitants of Remus. While certain Reman features, e.g., their telepathic abilities, pointed ears and their forehead patterns, are in agreement with a genetic relation to the Romulans/Vulcans, production sources have consistently referred to them as a "species" distinct from the Romulans (although this might still be interpreted as "sub-species").

Hm.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

zoux posted:

Is the Prometheus the dumbest ship in ST? Yes.

It just needs a giant robot mode like the Star Fox boss

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The Prometheus is awesome. Ya'll motherfuckers just jealous your starships can't split into three like that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
New Picard episode is up on the app.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Picard ep 2: Romulan super secret police are doing nothing wrong. gently caress AI :colbert:

Would watch Law and Order: Picard :doink:

Having those transporters be in the middle of the path and letting people walk through them seems like a terrible accident waiting to happen.

This facility has gone 5843 days without an assimilation :laugh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Episode is alright. Nothing too major, just getting the plot rolling.

Misc. thoughts:
- I really dig that they’re using the weird alternate future combadge designs
- I also like that they’ve brought the Commodore rank back
- Not sure why we needed an ultra-secret zealot version of the Tal Shiar instead of just using... the Tal Shiar
- Starfleet is still a sack of fash assholes, but I guess it’s slightly more excusable if it’s because they’re being subverted by Tal Shiar agents and a select group of traitors instead of willingly turning isolationist
- The episode seems to indicate this particular Cube has just been abandoned by the Collective instead of something happening to the Borg as a whole
- Irumodic Syndrome is back on the table apparently. I wonder if it’ll end up cured by the end of the season since the show has been renewed or if it’ll hang over the series for the duration?
- Nice to have confirmation Geordi and Worf are alive and well

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This facility has gone 5843 days without an assimilation :laugh:

The length of time between the premiere of Enterprise on September 26, 2001, and the premiere of Discovery on September 24, 2017 :eng101:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Interesting that they explicitly showed the Disco version of the Constitution class.

Really enjoyed that episode, and based off the trailer looks like things are really gonna kick off next week.

Trailer chat: There's no way that shot of the ship going to warp isn't the last shot of the next episode.

I hope they don't do this, but Picards Romulan caretakers actions would make sense if they had been planted with him as part of the infiltration but have genuinely come to care for him.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 30, 2020

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Always good to see David Paymer getting some work.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
C'mon, come the gently caress out on Amazon Prime Video already, I used the 30 day trial for this

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
This is such a rollercoaster of emotions oh god. Beautiful. Criticize Picard what you want, I love it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Not sure why we needed an ultra-secret zealot version of the Tal Shiar instead of just using... the Tal Shiar
Got to have the Romulan Section 31 working with the Federation Section 31, 'cause the only people who can know about the super-duper-secret spies are the other super-duper-secret spies.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Not bad, some developments but mostly just bringing the characters up to speed with what the audience already knows. Wish they'd spent more time in the cube

They really love giving characters 21st century vernacular and attitudes which I know will bug a lot of people, but whatever. The "get off mah property" trailer lady was a little jarring.

Show continues to be very pretty.

My eyes were about to roll out of their skull when the Vulcan commodore brought in her goon asking if they needed to "take care of Picard" but luckily that was revealed as a Romulan plot pretty quickly.

Much like the last one, it's too early to tell if this is all going to collapse under the weight of it's own intrigue and mystery (at least having the Romulans involved is thematically on point) but they've doled out enough little bits of bait to keep me interested.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
collection of ep 2 bits:

i think i like alison pill in this. i was worried she was going to be zany but she just seems like a smart person, without any shiny quirks annoyingly clipped on. want to see a lot more of her in future episodes.

some really...dodgy acting in this from the commodore/romulan spy and admiral picard visits. and 'the sheer loving hubris' - nope, not necessary at all. groaned out loud.

can't take jane from mad men seriously doing that accent. that part isn't her fault but the character is so theatrical and affected that i don't buy her as a person that exists, plus she isn't quite getting 100% of the accent.

i'm really into the irish romulan lady. it seems like she won't be joining picard on his mission which is a shame. it's not like she can't be useful, she seemed to know everything about romulan espionage and that's the whole mission. gently caress the grapes, get her into space.

oh and i liked the synthetic guy at the start. he was both cute and off-putting at once, with his smiling widely at the joke and then saying he didn't get it. actually wish he was a character, rather than a standard model. maybe we'll meet one in particular who becomes important.

so they're just playing out this romulan plot storyline mixed in with some other intrigue about synthetic life and the borg. nothing too interesting going on here yet for me, and while i think the execution of some of the pieces - like the commodore - is really quite bad, overall i'm still not sure what to make of it. i need more clarification on what the romulans are up to, how starfleet has been comprimised, etc before i can even get a sense of what the stakes are, but i do hope there is more to it and things develop into areas we can't foresee right now.

my confidence that investing the time in the 10 hours, or whatever it is, to see this story through is not that high as of right now. they are not hitting the mark in several places. like the entire scene with the admiral and picard, and the cheesy scene with the commodore and her lieutenant. i also feel nothing at all about daj/soji right now, and am quite bored during her scenes - although she might get more interesting, who knows.

that's really all there is to say. some parts seem like threads worth following, some i'm just like - eh okay let's see where it goes. i think i'll have a better sense of what the gently caress this show actually is with another couple of episodes. still in wait and see mode.

large_gourd fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I will LAUGH HARD if somehow DIS season 3 will tie Control into whole Zhat Vash story arc