Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

LGD posted:

Escape From Tarkov is a much better example of a game with extensive long term progression mechanics where all progress is periodically wiped than something like D3/PoE seasons

it also has some superficial similarities to Star Citizen in things like it's seemingly endless beta, weird engine choice that has created issues, and design ostensibly centered around one man's idiosyncratic quest for immersiveness, and higher than normal price point

it also makes it extremely clear how completely and utterly poo poo Star Citizen is on pretty much every level, from achieving its ostensible design goals, achieving progress generally, designing satisfying gameplay loops, exploitative economic model, etc.

(resets are generally looked forward to by the Tarkov community, because they correspond with major content updates, shake up the existing metagame, and force everyone to go back to basics/make do for a while and the game's design encourages an extreme "easy come/easy go" attitude toward in-game items)

EFT is also a game that has had a very public development, at no time did I ever experience:

1. Death by doors, ramps, etc.
2. Various vehicles floating into play areas
3. Missing gameplay loops
4. requests to pay more real life cash
5. AI stretching into lovercraft monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Someone please tell me something bad about EFT because I'm so close to pulling the trigger, but I hate buying early access games

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Someone please tell me something bad about EFT because I'm so close to pulling the trigger, but I hate buying early access games

It's well past the 'nothing works and the servers are constantly overloaded' phase

You will have hours and hours of fun if you can handle dying constantly and losing all your gear

Aside from maybe when a new patch drops it just 'works' and you will be addicted

Does that help?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The developers seem kind of poo poo and won't add female models to the game for ~lore reasons~

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

god dammit

Sankis posted:

The developers seem kind of poo poo and won't add female models to the game for ~lore reasons~

Russian, right?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

i absolutely loving despise EFT but didn't want to come in the thread and poo poo on it after people who obviously like it posted

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Can you PM me your reasons then? Genuinely curious about it.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I mean he can just post them, I really like the game but no its absolutely not perfect or necessarily an experience everyone will enjoy

and it’s *extremely* Russian

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Thanks everyone for the responses. I wasn't looking to dunk on anyone; genuinely just curious give the history of the project.

Mailer posted:

The "well hopefully there's a game one day" statement doesn't seem to match your question. Sane, rational people who aren't being contrarian for internet cool points aren't rooting for it to be a scam - they're rooting for the people responsible to go down in flames because it's a scam. I think "I believe this game, as sold, will come out some day" is more the statement you're looking for. You'll probably need to go to a different forum or wait for Moma to come back.

While it's not goons, you can see the hopefuls in the quotes a few pages back. People who think that SC will be a reality, if not everything Chris promised, as long as they cut features and focus on priorities. Chris isn't an incompetent buffoon; he's just overly ambitious. Having a functional MMO and having a Battlefield knockoff are, in their minds, equal tasks and it's only the resource allocation that's been bungled. They're not the tojal/Vertisce caliber posters that have deified crobear and fiercely smite any intrusion by reality. Unfortunately these people are going to be rare because they're the kind that eventually sigh and bow out instead of doubling down on another Idris.

Sometimes things don't start as scams, but when it's all done and said they sure look like one. CIG's marketing methods, statements, and actual state of product sure look shady as hell.

Also, post + username combo for Jack-Off Lantern :lmao:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Can you PM me your reasons then? Genuinely curious about it.

i'm Too Poor For Forums Upgrades but i legitimately, unironically think Star Citizen in its current (and likely eternal) pre-alpha tech demo state is more fun than EFT.

i can't really go on a very long hand due to a hand injury, but i find it to be a painfully boring game, with chris roberts-tier "game design" decisions (lol wait times for opening and searching a drawer. fun!), rear end in a top hat developers and very questionable, at the least, monetization (i bought the most expensive package, stupid idiot me).

the only thing it has going for it is the gun customization, but only visually - i found the actual gameplay changes from messing with parts wasn't nearly as involved as i expected (for the most part it's just number changes)

playing escape from tarkov legitimately felt like torture to me, from start to end. the very short player engagements weren't nearly enough for me to not think it is a boring, lovely, crappy poopy poo game.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Inacio posted:

i'm Too Poor For Forums Upgrades but i legitimately, unironically think Star Citizen in its current (and likely eternal) pre-alpha tech demo state is more fun than EFT.

i can't really go on a very long hand due to a hand injury, but i find it to be a painfully boring game, with chris roberts-tier "game design" decisions (lol wait times for opening and searching a drawer. fun!), rear end in a top hat developers and very questionable, at the least, monetization (i bought the most expensive package, stupid idiot me).

the only thing it has going for it is the gun customization, but only visually - i found the actual gameplay changes from messing with parts wasn't nearly as involved as i expected (for the most part it's just number changes)

playing escape from tarkov legitimately felt like torture to me, from start to end. the very short player engagements weren't nearly enough for me to not think it is a boring, lovely, crappy poopy poo game.

your horrible opinions on video games aside, are you a developer by any chance? and is it more of a wrist injury would you say.. from maybe falling off a bike?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

your horrible opinions on video games aside, are you a developer by any chance? and is it more of a wrist injury would you say

my objectively correct opinions aside, yes, i'm a developer and i also make games as a hobby, both of which probably have something to do with my injury (both wrist and fingers)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Tarkov is sort of interesting, but you are kinda there to get farmed by whales with operator guns and night vision if you are not really good at shooter games.

TheAgent posted:

we are. we are weirder

Do you have a source for this?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Tarkov is sort of interesting, but you are kinda there to get farmed by whales with operator guns and night vision if you are not really good at shooter games.

Do you have a source for this?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Oh, oof, I didn't realize it had this kind of monetization. I was mostly intrigued by the concept (BR like play with progression and Dark Souls like invasion mechanics? Count me in!) but if it has that kind of thing... YIkes.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

TheAgent posted:

thank you because "star citizens wipes are just seasonal ladders" is one of the funniest things I've read in the almost decade of these threads

I think you're being a bit unecessarily harsh man. The guy found some fun in the game and his perspective is interesting because he's not batshit crazy over it. Reading what he says about things like ship upgrades at least can give you insight into what batshit crazy people enjoy about this game, without having to doubt it because it's coming from a $30k in the hole Wing Commando.

Besides it's also fresh content for the thread, don't scare him off. :P the one thing we haven't discussed, ironically, is what about Star Citizen is good besides the graphics. No I won't download it to gather content and contribute, I have better things to do. But I like hearing from people who actually play it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

UnknownTarget posted:

Besides it's also fresh content for the thread, don't scare him off. :P the one thing we haven't discussed, ironically, is what about Star Citizen is good besides the graphics. No I won't download it to gather content and contribute, I have better things to do. But I like hearing from people who actually play it.

I'm not going to be scared off. If anything I'll just get bored of the game and stop playing it for another year or two. That actually might happen in 3.9 because they are talking about making ships suffer "consequences" for flying fast. Slowing down combat speeds sounds nice, but in a game with lots of waiting, I don't want to wait even more to fly somewhere.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
how does ED combat compare to SC?

I played ED briefly, like enough to manually land the ship and fly around some points, but I only battled once or twice and can't remember poo poo

I did play IL2: Sturmovik for awhile. Please compare it to that instead.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh, oof, I didn't realize it had this kind of monetization. I was mostly intrigued by the concept (BR like play with progression and Dark Souls like invasion mechanics? Count me in!) but if it has that kind of thing... YIkes.

it doesn’t, there are no microtransactions or ways to spend real money to gain in-combat advantages at all

there is a premium edition of the game, which buys you a gold name on the kill/death screen, largely meaningless starting gear (you can literally make up the difference in one good raid), minor bonuses to rep with traders (so you unlock things without having to do as many quests), a pre-upgraded stash size (earnable in game), and most importantly a larger secure container (items in it are kept when you die so you can store meds/keys/small valuable loot - the latter is the most relevant since it lets you safely keep items you find in raids) though basic edition players can reasonably earn one that’s only a single slot smaller and eventually earn one that’s larger (though *that* is a grind)

everything else is earned in game and while dumping hundreds of thousands or millions of in-game roubles will give you a substantial edge you can and will still get face-tapped instantly by a newbie with a 30k mosin nagant (who can then loot all your stuff)

e: to clarify though, as a new player you will die to experienced players with better gear a whole lot, because Tarkov heavily rewards knowledge of game systems/maps/etc. and its combat is far more about positioning and informational advantage and it just legitimately takes time to learn that stuff
e2: also you will die a lot even if you are extremely skilled and experienced and working with a group, like well over 50% of the time

LGD fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 30, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

if you've ever tried SC, the last thing you'd ever praise about its combat is its "responsiveness"

but Nalin here is specifically talking about dogfighting space combat, which many, many other games do a helluva lot better with a substantially less buy in

Like, there are people that sincerely enjoy lovely fighting games with unresponsive controls, bad systems/netcode, and lousy characters while they could be playing something objectively better. They know what they want, and what they want is poo poo, but if that's their kink then good for them, I guess.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Capcom's numbers are very healthy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nalin posted:

I was just trying to use it as an example of having to start fresh. You could substitute it with any type of survival game if you want. The point was that you seem to think that there is no merit in having fun with something if you will lose "progress" in the future.

Give it a couple of patches, and you’ll give up again. It’s not really moving at that much of a pace.

Tip for D3 seasons. Don’t do the campaign, head straight into adventurer mode. Darkening of Tristam is currently on as well, but the butcher is nails on that version. After that’s a grind to 70, but judicious use of the difficulty levels reduces that time by quite a bit.

It’s trying to hit the higher levels after the set armor that start you biting the desk in frustration.

I’m Hav, and I strangely like Diablo 4 on PS4.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tip for D3, play PoE instead.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

LGD posted:

it doesn’t, there are no microtransactions or ways to spend real money to gain in-combat advantages at all

there is a premium edition of the game, which buys you a gold name on the kill/death screen, largely meaningless starting gear (you can literally make up the difference in one good raid), minor bonuses to rep with traders (so you unlock things without having to do as many quests), a pre-upgraded stash size (earnable in game), and most importantly a larger secure container (items in it are kept when you die so you can store meds/keys/small valuable loot - the latter is the most relevant since it lets you safely keep items you find in raids) though basic edition players can reasonably earn one that’s only a single slot smaller and eventually earn one that’s larger (though *that* is a grind)

everything else is earned in game and while dumping hundreds of thousands or millions of in-game roubles will give you a substantial edge you can and will still get face-tapped instantly by a newbie with a 30k mosin nagant (who can then loot all your stuff)

e: to clarify though, as a new player you will die to experienced players with better gear a whole lot, because Tarkov heavily rewards knowledge of game systems/maps/etc. and its combat is far more about positioning and informational advantage and it just legitimately takes time to learn that stuff

:Truth:

The game is simply brutal, everything is based around how you can lose everything at any moment, if you love that rush from paranoid fear then this is the game for you.

The animations are spot on, everything takes time, there is no insta-looting, insta open doors, insta-reloads, etc.

EVERYTHING makes noise, and in a creepily quiet post apocalyptic setting it makes for super tense moments when you are manually reloading your magazines hoping someone isn't around the corner lining up a head shot because they heard you.

Healing is time consuming and involved, I mean how many games require you to surgically staple your wounds to stop bleeding?

Someone said it best, this game is so Russian. Brutal, painful, insane but the feeling of getting out with more than you came in with is strangely cathartic.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dementropy posted:

:reddit: So lets assume that SQ42 sells 2/3 of the number of copies as ED did in the first 6 months (remember, we're assuming it'll ultimately sell the same number of copies as ED, but we're also considering that 1/3rd of those are already paid for). 330,000 copies over 6 months then.

This guy is describing a catastrophe and doesn’t realize it.

Chris needs to sell several times that in the first six months just to not get the air horn treatment. It’s got the biggest cast of Hollywood royalty in gaming history. It’s going to produce “emotions rarely if ever felt while playing a video game.” (When Mark Hamill dies a self-sacrificing death, right after you earn his gruff paternal love.) We were told it’d have a $46 million marketing campaign to launch. It needs to be a blockbuster right out of the gate. No excuses for anything less.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DOMDOM posted:

ED combat is kinda simple but it works and the controls are consistent and responsive so its ∞ better than SC combat.

SC fanboys act like ED combat is poo poo, but like.... SC will never be better lmao.

Also ED is playable in VR and the combat feels pretty loving wild in VR.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

DOMDOM posted:

I played ED briefly, like enough to manually land the ship and fly around some points, but I only battled once or twice and can't remember poo poo

I did play IL2: Sturmovik for awhile. Please compare it to that instead.

E:D has alright combat, but the ships feel artificially slow. Even the smallest and most nimble ships take ages to yaw. Pitch and roll are a bit faster, but still feel sluggish.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Inacio posted:

my objectively correct opinions aside, yes, i'm a developer and i also make games as a hobby, both of which probably have something to do with my injury (both wrist and fingers)

you're a non-game developer professionally, a video game developer hobbyist, but you're too poor to afford a forums upgrade? do you work at cig by any chance?!?! lol

what's going on idiots. how's the space game that i assume isn't out yet because i read the 'development' section of that loving game that the idiot made that was literally, exactly star citizen but like, 20 years ago and headed by the same moron going?

gently caress you guy's must be going loving insane by this point. what is wrong with you all? i'm seeing like, 5 avatars over the course of a page though so there's only a couple of inmates left in the asylum. cool. normal.

didn't see the avatar of that insane guy who replied to every post i made half a dozen times and then dedicated his red text avatar to me so i assume he's moved on (unless he changed it, sanely). so yall that are left are less stable then that guy? fucckkk.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
oh and i guess for the one or two people that post here but weren't here when i used to post here (who i'm sure exist) i guess i could introduce myself. marching powder: thread sheriff. used to keep the peace round these here parts when it was a bustling metropolis instead of this broke rear end lunatic asylum hahaha. good times.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Whoa, Marching Powder is back too! :wave:

With Melvin and MoMA also returning it's looking like a great week :dance:

Was the roadmap update really that bad?

Yes it was

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

actually, i should be transparent and mention that by 'keep the peace' i mean 'render the thread unusable because i constantly pointed out the eerie similarities between the citizens and the people that were posting and agreeing unironically with derek smart and digging through the moron's internet garbage all day.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

gently caress YEAH.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Coulda sworn that was Arf.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

actually, i should be transparent and mention that by 'keep the peace' i mean 'render the thread unusable because i constantly pointed out the eerie similarities between the citizens and the people that were posting and agreeing unironically with derek smart and digging through the moron's internet garbage all day.

but i'm sure this doesn't apply anymore lol

Quavers posted:

Whoa, Marching Powder is back too! :wave:

With Melvin and MoMA also returning it's looking like a great week :dance:

Was the roadmap update really that bad?

Yes it was

hello, i don't remember you, which would have earmarked you as 'possibly normal' if you didn't recognise me. geniuses.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

Did you ever get that hug from Uncle Derek that you craved? :glomp:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bootcha posted:

Coulda sworn that was Arf.

flattered. by memory (could be wrong) me and arf were both given the same insanely childish 'challenge' by one of the head idiots that we both replied 'no, gently caress off' to. so, same generation, wildly different calibre of poster (arf > me, if that wasn't clear)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Quavers posted:

Did you ever get that hug from Uncle Derek that you craved? :glomp:

jesus loving christ i remember why i hated you people. this was roughly the standard of posting that happened back then. but instead of like, 5 posts a day there was literally like 800. my cup overfloweth with idiots. i could probably personally respond to all of you now with a custom rebuttal. but i absolutely will not be.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:lol::lol:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

actually could i ask a favour of one of you weirdos in your area of expertise (digging through people's garbage for internet cred)? could anyone find that person i was talking about earlier who red text avatar'd me? i want to read about their eventual ruin in the bitcoin game and their gradual, graphic death in the goon doctor - which i assume still exists - of; again, assuming, necrotic genitals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

actually, don't do that. don't.