Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My mom's reason for not believing was "That's just too terrible to be true!" Years later she has tons of BS arguments why it's a lie, but she started from a point of it can't be true and just never budged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Elderbean posted:

I work with one lol.

There have been a lot of revealing arguments that boil down to "the truth is what I believe and I dont need to prove anything."

Climate change is a hoax because theres a possibility that scientists are lying, aliens are walking among us in disguise because there is a possibility that life exists elsewhere. Whether or not something is real to these people is entirely arbitrary. If it could happen, it is happening.

I find that Boomers and Silents are either full of denial, or just refuse to admit they are wrong or even concede to someone else's idea. Especially if the opposing opinion is from another political party, minority, or younger person.

Like their shoe could be on fire and they will refuse to believe that it is as they cough from smoke filled lungs and stifle screams of pain as the flame starts to burn flesh.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bonzo posted:

I find that Boomers and Silents are either full of denial, or just refuse to admit they are wrong or even concede to someone else's idea. Especially if the opposing opinion is from another political party, minority, or younger person.

:yeah:

It's not even that, a lot of times it, "I learned a thing in 1972 when I was in high school, there's no way it could possibly have changed in 48 years" :colbert:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

MorrisBae posted:

Boomers: "Ignorance is bliss"

Millenials: "Knowledge is powerThere is no knowledge that is not power."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Iron Crowned posted:

:yeah:

It's not even that, a lot of times it, "I learned a thing in 1972 when I was in high school, there's no way it could possibly have changed in 48 years" :colbert:

I was at a meeting for the hall a few weeks ago, and people started arguing something about employee pay. I had to start telling everyone to shut up because most of what they were suggesting was against Ontario labour law. Like, you could be reasonably sued for breaches kind of "shut the gently caress up".

I still had some boomers arguing with me that they'd never heard of this. "What? Since when!?" Motherfucker, part of my job involves knowing how payroll works and where to look up labour laws.

:golfclap:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

mojo1701a posted:

I was at a meeting for the hall a few weeks ago, and people started arguing something about employee pay. I had to start telling everyone to shut up because most of what they were suggesting was against Ontario labour law. Like, you could be reasonably sued for breaches kind of "shut the gently caress up".

I still had some boomers arguing with me that they'd never heard of this. "What? Since when!?" Motherfucker, part of my job involves knowing how payroll works and where to look up labour laws.

Almost every job I've had is governed by a series of rules, company ethics requirements and regulations. These jobs also came/come with a really high percentage of Boomer coworkers who can remember selling thousands of dollars of parts on a handshake or buying spools of wire from some guy instead of through approved suppliers and get really upset when I tell them I could be fired for doing what they ask me to on a regular basis. One guy asked me if I would just issue a blank order to a vendor and once they had pricing we could fill in the details just so he could tell the customer the parts were on order. This is how things worked when they were in their prime and they don't want to work under the new requirements.

What has been happening a lot recently is that the first-job-out-of-college employees are all Boomer Mindset about the same kind of things because they get thrown in the deep end without basic training and just try to take the seemingly sensible/easy path. They're a lot more amenable to being told what they want to do isn't allowed, which is nice.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Lazyfire posted:

Almost every job I've had is governed by a series of rules, company ethics requirements and regulations. These jobs also came/come with a really high percentage of Boomer coworkers who can remember selling thousands of dollars of parts on a handshake or buying spools of wire from some guy instead of through approved suppliers and get really upset when I tell them I could be fired for doing what they ask me to on a regular basis. One guy asked me if I would just issue a blank order to a vendor and once they had pricing we could fill in the details just so he could tell the customer the parts were on order. This is how things worked when they were in their prime and they don't want to work under the new requirements.

What has been happening a lot recently is that the first-job-out-of-college employees are all Boomer Mindset about the same kind of things because they get thrown in the deep end without basic training and just try to take the seemingly sensible/easy path. They're a lot more amenable to being told what they want to do isn't allowed, which is nice.

Well, you could get away with that years ago but when Enron, Tyco, and worldcom went under you saw federal laws changed to hold corporate executives liable for any fuckups on the books.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I’ve repeated this before, but my Boomer dad, who worked in loving banking would always lament that you couldn’t just do handshake deals anymore.

The irony being my dad declared bankruptcy multiple times and wouldn’t think twice about stiffing you. Of course he liked handshake deals.

So yeah, when someone complains about compliance rules they’re either legitimately confused about the world or it makes their grifting harder.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Anne Whateley posted:

That doesn't have to do with whether you steam corn before or after husking?

Lazyfire posted:

I grew up eating the same five or six meals on rotation most of my childhood, it boils down to most of them being a meat course, microwaved vegetables (almost always corn) and some form of starch (bread, mashed potatoes, ramen boiled plain). Fresh vegetables only hit the table in summer when corn on the cob was basically free, which was cooked by putting the corn on a plate with some water at the bottom and covering it with plastic wrap and microwaving it.

Anne Whateley posted:

That is the best way to cook corn on the cob

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

it makes their grifting harder.

I know Hanlon's Razor applies, but it really is almost always this.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Lazyfire posted:

Ironically, the same old guys argue about how they can't get straight financials from amateur financial secretaries (as if they could understand finance to begin with).

They were arguing back and forth about the honourariums received by executive members at year-end. The club doesn't make that much money at the end of the year, but barring large renovations, we do enough to keep the lights on. It's therefore expected that the executive gets some kind of recompense (up to a few thousand dollars for a whole year's worth of regular volunteering), which is fine. But no, they wanted to know what "bonuses" everyone individually got. Which given it's paid by members as a stipend, sure. But some started rolling employee bonuses into the mix, and I had to put a stop to that. Do not gently caress with the waged staff.

Even before I started watching Kitchen Nightmares (yes, that's my current kick right now and I'm enjoying it sporadically), I knew you handle rank-and-file employees by the book -- especially since most of them make around or just above minimum wage as it is.

Edit: most of them won't even run for a goddamned position because it requires effort. It's why we have an ineffectual president, because no one else wants the job. And then they'll complain that I, a person with an actual job and life outside of town, isn't accepting poo poo.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 29, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Beachcomber posted:

plastic wrap
You don't need to do it with plastic wrap specifically, I do it with a damp paper towel and it's the same thing. Then at the end of the meal you can clean your hands and face with the warm damp towel like a classy person. Then you can compost it if you want.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Anne Whateley posted:

You don't need to do it with plastic wrap specifically, I do it with a damp paper towel and it's the same thing. Then at the end of the meal you can clean your hands and face with the warm damp towel like a classy person. Then you can compost it if you want.

Plastic would melt onto the corn.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
No it doesn't, plastic wrap doesn't really melt like that. I use it in the oven for dyeing projects.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Learn something new every day.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

mind the walrus posted:

I know Hanlon's Razor applies, but it really is almost always this.

There was an article a buncha years ago when eChecks started becoming a thing about how there was a sudden uptick in overdraft fees among older people. Turns out that they were basically living on the float* for years, and the stricter timing of eChecks was loving up their game.

*(Basically, they were writing checks for more than they had available, on the assumption that it would take a few days for the check to clear, so they could spend a little extra if they knew they had money coming in.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's been around 20 years since Enron. There's no way we don't have another Enron level corporate meltdown before the Trump administration ends. I just don't see any accountability being laid down this time.

Or maybe we'll just keep getting mini-Enrons like Theranos and WeWork.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's been around 20 years since Enron. There's no way we don't have another Enron level corporate meltdown before the Trump administration ends. I just don't see any accountability being laid down this time.

Grift economy is going to keep producing stuff like that as long as the rich have more than they can spend in 50 lifetimes and Silicon Valley gets to dictate policy to the world.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Plastic would melt onto the corn.

It doesn't, but it was just a gross way to cook corn. It came out flavorless and still slightly raw.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Chief McHeath posted:

Boomers love to share things on Facebook while saying "so I can see this later" even though Facebook has a a Save Post option.

Also, if you want to take the time to share it and then read it later, why not just... read it? It's not loving War and Peace

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Had a loving Boomer hold me up THREE times today at the market. First as she stood in the exact center of the aisle somehow struggling to loving put a bottle of wine in her cart. Then got stuck behind her in the express lane to check out (of course she had full cart) and then still more when after finishing checking out she started arguing about the price with the woman checking us out. Then after all that I finish checkout and pay and as I'm trying to walk out she is standing in the middle of the loving path to exit completely blocking it going over her receipt AGAIN as if she still didn't accept that the woman at the checkout clearly explained it to her and showed her it was correct.

B-B-B-Bonus Boomer: I'm 30 and have a beard, clearly over 21, but Boomer in line behind me made a wisecrack about it when the lady asked for my ID (as they are required to do or could be fired) for the booze I was buying.

gently caress they need to make like 40 and younger only markets

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Danaru posted:

I'm still alone in my love for raw tomatoes though

Alone no longer, comrade. No longer.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Nooner posted:

under age 60 discount day

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

PG&E

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

Oh god. Flashbacks to the first two years after college that I spent explaining accounting regulations to construction superintendents every goddamn month.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Good riddance. Replace it with a decent public, state-run utility

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Didn't somebody put out a research paper that GE was a house of cards? When's that gonna go?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

Uber.

Didn't they lose $5 billion their first public quarter, and then respond by cutting their $200k balloon budget?

And yes, "balloon budget" literally refers to the money they spend on balloons to celebrate each employees yearly anniversary with the company.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dogs love chewing on corn cobs after the humans are done with them.

My dog snatched one out of the trash one day and snapped it in half and then swallowed both pieces whole. I was like "gently caress!" and googled it to see what would happen to him and there were all these horror stories about intestinal blockages and stuff like that. Absolutely nothing happened to hi9m. The dog is basically a walking garbage disposal. He's eaten chicken bones, paper towels, candy wrappers, a filthy water logged crossant off the ground, french fries that have been ran over by a car, a moldy cup cake that was outside. He's just a loving idiot who never stops trying to eat everything. And he can snatch stuff before you even have a chance to react so you have to be constantly vigilant. Several of those things I listed there are just stuff he finds when I walk him. Greenies and similar things don't work because he just breaks them in two in about ten seconds and swallows both pieces whole. And you're probably picturing a huge dog. Nope! This is the dumb dumb:

Elderbean posted:

I work with one lol.

There have been a lot of revealing arguments that boil down to "the truth is what I believe and I dont need to prove anything."

Climate change is a hoax because theres a possibility that scientists are lying, aliens are walking among us in disguise because there is a possibility that life exists elsewhere. Whether or not something is real to these people is entirely arbitrary. If it could happen, it is happening.

The thing I've heard a whole bunch of times is that climate change is a lie perpertrated by the green energy industry so they can make billions of dollars. Of the various "explanations" about why it's a hoax this one is by far the most infuriating. The idiots who say this come so loving close to getting it.

Nooner posted:

Had a loving Boomer hold me up THREE times today at the market. First as she stood in the exact center of the aisle somehow struggling to loving put a bottle of wine in her cart. Then got stuck behind her in the express lane to check out (of course she had full cart) and then still more when after finishing checking out she started arguing about the price with the woman checking us out. Then after all that I finish checkout and pay and as I'm trying to walk out she is standing in the middle of the loving path to exit completely blocking it going over her receipt AGAIN as if she still didn't accept that the woman at the checkout clearly explained it to her and showed her it was correct.

B-B-B-Bonus Boomer: I'm 30 and have a beard, clearly over 21, but Boomer in line behind me made a wisecrack about it when the lady asked for my ID (as they are required to do or could be fired) for the booze I was buying.

Slightly unrelated but a grocery store near me does something called Wacky Wednesday once a month. Basically it's just a day where a bunch of poo poo is discounted, but nothing that's a huge deal. One of the things that's always really cheap is English muffins and every single time I happen to stumble in there on a Wacky Wednesday I see multiple old people with like 4-6 packs of English muffins in their carts. Sometimes eggs are really cheap too and you'll see a bunch of boomers with way more eggs than you could eat before they go bad.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Inept posted:

Our store's prices are $base_price*$ customer_age*0.005

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Inept posted:

This is age discrimination according to the laws that boomers passed right around the time they all turned 40.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i really do hate when people block doorways, grocery aisles, etc. i’ve seen people of all ages do it, and imo this is like, baseline human courtesy.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Sometimes eggs are really cheap too and you'll see a bunch of boomers with way more eggs than you could eat before they go bad.

Eggs can be frozen and thawed for cooking.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

MRC48B posted:

Eggs can be frozen and thawed for cooking.

I didn't know that. I just figured they would crack. Either way the store brand eggs are always cheap and I have no idea why people need to stock up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Didn't somebody put out a research paper that GE was a house of cards? When's that gonna go?

GE’s problems are with their finance and insurance arms. GE finance almost killed them in 2007 and hasn’t recovered since and now they’ve got a ticking time bomb in long-term care insurance.

Here’s the kicker with long term care insurance - the people who buy it are reasonably certain they’ll need it. You have to price it differently than other insurance products. Guess who priced their sick Boomer insurance too low? Guess whose now getting sick?

GE may have also engaged in some light accounting fraud over the terrible numbers coming out of their insurance divisions.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

CPL593H posted:

I didn't know that. I just figured they would crack. Either way the store brand eggs are always cheap and I have no idea why people need to stock up.

Yeah a dozen eggs are like 2.50 and if they are about to expire I like to hard boil in the instant pot and soak in blend of soy sauce and Asian spices to eat for snack for next few days, best way to extend egg life and also insanely delicious

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Boomers can't pass up a "deal" is why.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Egg "Best By" dates are insanely conservative, compared to just about anything else in a fridge. Eggs are still perfectly fine a full month after they've "expired". Combined with the initial expiry date, you can keep eggs about 2 months total in the fridge, so you should never have to worry about what to do with "expiring" eggs.

Not unlike honey, which has an expiry date, but will last forever. Literally forever. You can pass it down through the generations and it will be perfectly fine for your great great great great great great great great great grandchildren.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Unless it gets wet.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Sure, but I think that qualifier can be applied to just about anything.

Toast - Delicious, unless it gets wet
Toilet Paper - Works good, unless it gets wet
Teslas - Nice cars, unless they get wet

Speaking of that, my atlas of modern history "Toast, Toilet Paper, & Teslas: An Unabridged History of Our Modern Hellworld" will be on sale at all fine Borders bookstores near you. It comes in hardcover, and unique, more expensive Double-Hardcover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Boomer MIL constantly sees one favor as a gateway to the next. I'm currently looking after one of her kittens from her pet store. She now asks that I return the cat to her despite it still being underweight so that she can pawn off a kitten infected with Calcivirus (feline illness) to me. I have ZERO pet experience and ZERO training as a vet or carer. She thinks I'm a great candidate because I'm just "at the house all day". I'm recently unemployed but still maintain an 8-4 work schedule while on the job hunt. I have networking meetings, online classes, and lengthy job applications to fill out. I never signed up for a potentially terminally ill animal.

In addition, the wife and I have considered getting a feline companion of our own. We have no assurance that this virus wont linger in our house and become a problem for the next animal we take on. We also live in a multi-unit complex and I'm not comfortable putting other pets at risk. I of course feel awful for the kitten, and the family to which she was originally sold. Anyways, the MIL seems to have an answer for all of these concerns (lock it in the shower, keep it on the patio, the virus only lingers 12 weeks).

She can't turn to any of her peers in the "pet community" (other pet store owners, kennels, vets) because she cannot maintain professional relationships. It just feels lovely that one favor done in good faith must lead to the imposition of another much larger favor. gently caress that selfish poo poo.