Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The CC 3d thread.

e: and thank you.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Oldstench posted:

The CC 3d thread.

e: and thank you.

No problem, and it's truly impressive.

It's this thread, I assume: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2877226

but I didn't see any mention of blender. Which is good that you post your stuff here, since it reinforces what can be done with today's modern free tools.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Doing my first real attempt at using the sculpt tool. I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Doing my first real attempt at using the sculpt tool. I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

drat. you should ask dreamworks if they are hiring

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I think I'm finished. I'm pretty happy for a first attempt.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

drat I thought 3d modelling was way more tedious thn this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oldstench posted:

I think I'm finished. I'm pretty happy for a first attempt.

mate that's sick. I could never make anything look worthwhile at all. good poo poo

I think I largely lack that artistic taste thing :/ like I'm quite good at understanding entire programs and making the most out of the interfaces etc, but when it comes to the actual art, graphic, musical whatever, I'm just real mediocre :qq:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

What's the point of putting billboards on ruined buildings if they aren't humorous, though?

I recommend having one that says "Dee's Nuts".

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

echinopsis posted:

mate that's sick. I could never make anything look worthwhile at all. good poo poo

I think I largely lack that artistic taste thing :/ like I'm quite good at understanding entire programs and making the most out of the interfaces etc, but when it comes to the actual art, graphic, musical whatever, I'm just real mediocre :qq:

Ira Glass on getting through the mediocrity:

“The thing I’d like to say to you with all my heart is that most everybody I know who does interesting creative work went through a phase of years where with their good taste, they could tell what they were doing wasn’t as good as they wanted it to be… it didn’t have that special thing they wanted it to have… Everybody goes through that phase… and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work.”

Keep going, goons.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it is good

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

yeah someone post a render

lmao i wonder if there is a povray plug-in for blender so we can experience the glory of pure ray tracing

to get back to this: someone made this

https://archive.blender.org/wiki/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Render/POV-Ray/

http://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Use_POV-Ray_with_Blender

i always used http://www.stmuc.com/moray/ but i think 3.5 is too old to run on win10

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Subnautica 2 E3 Demo looking shiny!

:c00l:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Practicing with shadow catchers and holdouts. Some of these things are fake, some are real. What do you think is CG?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Oldstench posted:

Practicing with shadow catchers and holdouts. Some of these things are fake, some are real. What do you think is CG?

i'd guess the mug and planters look too crisp to be real

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s difficult

might have to give it another shot. think they didn’t have a plug-in for the blender i was on and too lazy to install an older version although that would work

that render is .... shocking.... ly good

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Oldstench posted:

the two things that contain balls and the pen

they are pretty good but im on a tablet and had to zoom to get a good look and the noise on these items gave it away

also i cant tell exactly what but something feels off with the pink balls, like maybe it seems theres less ambient occlusion than there ought to be

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

they're a lot noiser looking too but still, im impress :tipshat:

jokes on us when it turns out to all be render :supaburn:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Zlodo posted:

the two things that contain balls and the pen

they are pretty good but im on a tablet and had to zoom to get a good look and the noise on these items gave it away

also i cant tell exactly what but something feels off with the pink balls, like maybe it seems theres less ambient occlusion than there ought to be

You are right on the money. I accidentally posted a WIP image instead of the final render. Incredibly, you nailed the noise and missing AO pass. I forgot to matte the pink ball thingy during that render. Here's the final render with the above corrected.

And here's the original picture.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Here's the final render with the above corrected.

Really nice!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Oldstench posted:

You are right on the money. I accidentally posted a WIP image instead of the final render. Incredibly, you nailed the noise and missing AO pass. I forgot to matte the pink ball thingy during that render. Here's the final render with the above corrected.

And here's the original picture.

something about the yellow ball cube looks a little off to me. i'm probably staring at it too hard, but it feels like it's not sitting on quite the same plane as the laptop. maybe because it looks so similar to the pink ball cube that's farther back? idk. really nice job though

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

something about the yellow ball cube looks a little off to me. i'm probably staring at it too hard, but it feels like it's not sitting on quite the same plane as the laptop. maybe because it looks so similar to the pink ball cube that's farther back? idk. really nice job though

its shadow is at a different angle and it’s not reflecting off the table

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

its shadow is at a different angle and it’s not reflecting off the table

Yep. I had to decide between the faces being lit correctly or the angle of the shadow being correct. The reflection is something I was going to work on, but I was ready to move on to something else.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Made some OJ.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Yep. I had to decide between the faces being lit correctly or the angle of the shadow being correct.

render both versions and composite them together

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

render both versions and composite them together

I played around with it some more. My main problem was not realizing that shadow catcher does reflections as well. I spent waaay too long trying to composite a second render layer using an emission shader and its reflection as a mask.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oldstench's noisy balls

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/Ley689P.mp4

Wutang-Yutani
Nov 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Blender Foundation announced that they have signed a definitive agreement for Autodesk to acquire substantially all of the assets of Blender's business unit for approximately $35 million.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Wutang-Yutani posted:

The Blender Foundation announced that they have signed a definitive agreement for Autodesk to acquire substantially all of the assets of Blender's business unit for approximately $35 million.

You're a big stinkin' liar.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that would be the worst thing in the world.

is the blender code infected with the GPL? that would be the way to ensure it's good for life

https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1223452499266289666?s=20

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

:nws: Working on softbody physics. :nws:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
make it jizz a little and you’ll be an internet virus sensation

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

looks like a pretty hard body to me :biglips:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

testing out animating materials and breaking shapes. blender owns. frame rate is a bit weird because I had to stitch it in premiere and don’t know how that mfer works

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you're exporting images you should get ffmpeg at do it at the command line like this

ffmpeg -i %04d.png -qp 10 video01.mp4

(thats for images called 0001.png and so on)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

So that dildo video - what's up with the softbody solver? I wanted to put 5 or 6 of them dropping but when I just put a second one in the program ground to a halt. Went from 1 frame per second or so during caching to 1 frame every 20 minutes or something.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
was it somehow here mentioning about how in 2.8 some of the physics solvers have been hosed up?

idk ive never gotten softbody to work ever so..

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

echinopsis posted:

if you're exporting images you should get ffmpeg at do it at the command line like this

ffmpeg -i %04d.png -qp 10 video01.mp4

(thats for images called 0001.png and so on)

King poo poo thanks but I’ll never remember it lol. I’ll resolve to change my settings to video cos I mostly export movement anyhoo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i never either so i use powershell for the command line which always remembers command history so u just press up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

this new ian hubert tutorial is fully sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY8Ol2n4o4A