Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Most of those complaints are from around the 2017 bubble.

Their subreddit is far from a "total poo poo show". There are a handful of people bitching about Coinbase enforcing KYC/AML laws and that's about it.

Please tell us about your buttcoin holdings, past and present, and how you have turned it into real money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

tango alpha delta posted:

Repeat after me:

Exchanges aren't regulated

There's absolutely no way I would ever advise someone to transfer money into what is essentially a black box with absolutely no accountability.

know risk, know reward

dont worry, the risk will go down eventually

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

dhrusis posted:

know risk, know reward

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

The kind of reckless confidence people have in the dumbest poo poo is why this thread has been bookmarked for so long.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

dhrusis posted:

know risk, know reward

Without regulation or accountability, sending money to an exchange is the equivalent of lighting your money on fire. Why is this difficult for you to understand?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

dhrusis posted:

know risk, know reward

lmao

dig up stupid

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Without regulation or accountability, sending money to an exchange is the equivalent of lighting your money on fire. Why is this difficult for you to understand?

lots of people are so rich it doesn't matter if they light some money on fire

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

I agree, I don't recommend storing money on an exchange (although I do believe USD stored on Coinbase is FDIC insured, may be wrong).

Coinbase is safe enough for the average person, I'd say.. not sure I'd go as far as lighting on fire... on what basis? Just sending money to the exchange means its gone? Or some day?

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Sickening posted:

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

The kind of reckless confidence people have in the dumbest poo poo is why this thread has been bookmarked for so long.

this is an awesome thread. Can you say more about the dumbest poo poo you are referring to?

My comment was meant to highlight that this type of stuff is fairly risky but also has value and significant potential

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

orange juche posted:

lmao

dig up stupid

I love the simpsons. They've probably got some hot takes on crypto... need to google that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

dhrusis posted:

I agree, I don't recommend storing money on an exchange (although I do believe USD stored on Coinbase is FDIC insured, may be wrong).

Coinbase is safe enough for the average person, I'd say.. not sure I'd go as far as lighting on fire... on what basis? Just sending money to the exchange means its gone? Or some day?

drat, they meet the minimum legal requirement to not get shut down instantly?

trustworthy as gently caress

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

dhrusis posted:

I love the simpsons. They've probably got some hot takes on crypto... need to google that.

Number go down... D'oh!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

dhrusis posted:

you can't possibly expect to be taken seriously with questions like this

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

dhrusis posted:

this is an awesome thread. Can you say more about the dumbest poo poo you are referring to?

My comment was meant to highlight that this type of stuff is fairly risky but also has value and significant potential

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. gently caress I have forgotten how stubbornly thick you all could be. Crypto is ready to take off any day now, just like the last....wait what time is this the 105th?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Crypto/converted assets are so not covered by the FDIC that it's barely even mentioned on their website.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true
Yes, but have you considered this:

:smugdog:

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

dhrusis posted:

Im pretty sure their fdic insurance is just that they, coinbase, put your real money in a real bank. Their account, not yours. So, the fdic insurance is probably really for all coinbase customers, not each individual one (reducing the coverage limit to a handful of dollars/customer instead of “enough for every normal person”). Also, fdic is not a thing for business accounts, so lol

I may be remembering it wrong, or it may have changed, but more than likely when coinbase get hacked or “hacked” that ”fdic insurance” is likely at best 3-5 years of lawsuits away.

E: also this

McSpanky posted:

Crypto/converted assets are so not covered by the FDIC that it's barely even mentioned on their website.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn't butts coins considered a security? It would be like the Fed covering your loses if you got mugged.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
Checking in to see if Bitcoin has reached the moon yet.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
AliX is on the crypto wagon. Mine bitcoins directly from the app. The only way to spend your bitcoins is to exchange them for coupons which you can sometimes (never) use for discounts on products and services.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

So does it look like a lovely phone freemenuim game on purpose?

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

you can't possibly expect to be taken seriously with questions like this

Sounds good.. I'll go ahead and take your comment seriously because it provides so much clear and convincing evidence..

LethalGeek posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. gently caress I have forgotten how stubbornly thick you all could be. Crypto is ready to take off any day now, just like the last....wait what time is this the 105th?

Cute, this sounds like the news anchors trying to understand the internet in the days before email. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95-yZ-31j9A

Crypto is a very nascient technology right now, frought with risk, both known and currently unknowable. A lot of speculators have already gotten wrecked and will keep getting wrecked. There are also people who have been able to benefit from the continuously developing tech.

I see this no different as other new technologies that have fueled past boom and bust cycles and that have disrupted industries.

The legal services industry, as an example, over the next 10 years will likely experience some significant change as code based smart contracts continue to evolve.. law services like real estate transactions, title related insurance, and large value transfers will increasingly be performed in code faster and cheaper. We will likely see more physical world assets become tokenized and moved about with less friction. Services that currently cost thousands of dollars can be done quickly and cheaply with verifiable integrity. Dunno about yall but from where I'm from this stuff is worth money.

There are a LOT of things blockchains can't or shouldn't do... but there are some things that they can do and will eventually do really well.. Its okay if you don't want to trust them yet, but the tech undoubtedly has potential.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

baalaagaa posted:

Checking in to see if Bitcoin has reached the moon yet.

No moon :(

Just up +30% vs. US Dollar over 30 days, +172% over the last year, and 9000000% over the last decade :)

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I fully expect people to be talking about how crypto and the blockchain is a young technology right on the edge of adoption and everyone will be using it soon just you wait ten years from now, just as they have for the last ten years.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

dhrusis posted:

The legal services industry, as an example, over the next 10 years will likely experience some significant change as code based smart contracts continue to evolve.. law services like real estate transactions, title related insurance, and large value transfers will increasingly be performed in code faster and cheaper. We will likely see more physical world assets become tokenized and moved about with less friction. Services that currently cost thousands of dollars can be done quickly and cheaply with verifiable integrity. Dunno about yall but from where I'm from this stuff is worth money.

There are a LOT of things blockchains can't or shouldn't do... but there are some things that they can do and will eventually do really well.. Its okay if you don't want to trust them yet, but the tech undoubtedly has potential.
Blockchain is a very large and slow database. The use case for blockchain is to create a currency to solve the Byzantine General problem where you live in a society that doesn't trust each other and will likely die of arsenic poisoning from their Soylent meals because government regulation is also bad. The blockchain bubble has already burst; we'll see if any of the "blockchain" uses make it out of the clueless ad copy stage into something resembling the original idea, and not just a proprietary database with BLOCKCHAIN stenciled on the top (which almost was what it was in every mention outside of cryptocurrency use.)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

oohhboy posted:

Isn't butts coins considered a security? It would be like the Fed covering your loses if you got mugged.

no, they're a commodity - a pile of stuff. you could like insure the pile of stuff, i guess

bitcoin custody turns out to be a super hard problem if you're trying to sell it as a service, because bitcoin is brittle nonsense

anyone who compares crypto to the internet is a drooling loving idiot hth

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dhrusis posted:

No moon :(

Just up +30% vs. US Dollar over 30 days, +172% over the last year, and 9000000% over the last decade :)

i can use the us dollar to buy things

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Smart contracts are great - I forgot my wallet passphrase so I lost my house forever, but that's how house deeds work after all

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

ranbo das posted:

I fully expect people to be talking about how crypto and the blockchain is a young technology right on the edge of adoption and everyone will be using it soon just you wait ten years from now, just as they have for the last ten years.

That's good because its only grown in adoption over the last 10 years...Why wouldn't it continue to be around?

kw0134 posted:

Blockchain is a very large and slow database. The use case for blockchain is to create a currency to solve the Byzantine General problem where you live in a society that doesn't trust each other and will likely die of arsenic poisoning from their Soylent meals because government regulation is also bad. The blockchain bubble has already burst; we'll see if any of the "blockchain" uses make it out of the clueless ad copy stage into something resembling the original idea, and not just a proprietary database with BLOCKCHAIN stenciled on the top (which almost was what it was in every mention outside of cryptocurrency use.)

I agree, BITCOIN is a large and slow database, but blockchains don't have to be slow, to my understanding that's a function of the blockchain trilemma: Scalability vs. Cost vs. Decentralization. You can have a super fast blockchain, but you may not be able to trust it vs. bad actors.

Blockchains are databases at their core , but different in that they, when implemented under the correct (and arguably unique in the case of Bitcoin) circumstances, do indeed appear to solve the Byzantine generals problem (although at the country level China may eek out a dominance in mining?, I'm not sure). The oldest blockchains are around only 10 years old and 99.99% of them are scams, but again I think there's an innovation here, just needs to be built upon and matured. I don't see why it can't continue to develop though, as it's open source and has shown strong progress. I don't get the hate and anger about it.

I feel we've come to the point you reference about use cases, as an example, people regularly move hundreds of millions (one time a billion https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/09/someone-moved-1-billion-in-a-single-bitcoin-transaction/) of BTC across the BTC network for substantially less transaction costs than using Moneygram, as an example.

RIP Bitcoin whut a bubble, its died 379 times :( https://99bitcoins.com/bitcoin-obituaries/

Cowcaster posted:

If you must transact in US Dollars, go for it! Good news, You can use BTC to buy dollars, and you get more dollars for your BTC when you choose to do so! :-)

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Cowcaster posted:

As long as "things" refer to weapons and drugs, bitcoin also allows you to buy things.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

dhrusis posted:

That's good because its only grown in adoption over the last 10 years...Why wouldn't it continue to be around?

I agree, BITCOIN is a large and slow database, but blockchains don't have to be slow, to my understanding that's a function of the blockchain trilemma: Scalability vs. Cost vs. Decentralization. You can have a super fast blockchain, but you may not be able to trust it vs. bad actors.

Blockchains are databases at their core , but different in that they, when implemented under the correct (and arguably unique in the case of Bitcoin) circumstances, do indeed appear to solve the Byzantine generals problem (although at the country level China may eek out a dominance in mining?, I'm not sure). The oldest blockchains are around only 10 years old and 99.99% of them are scams, but again I think there's an innovation here, just needs to be built upon and matured. I don't see why it can't continue to develop though, as it's open source and has shown strong progress. I don't get the hate and anger about it.

I feel we've come to the point you reference about use cases, as an example, people regularly move hundreds of millions (one time a billion https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/09/someone-moved-1-billion-in-a-single-bitcoin-transaction/) of BTC across the BTC network for substantially less transaction costs than using Moneygram, as an example.

RIP Bitcoin whut a bubble, its died 379 times :( https://99bitcoins.com/bitcoin-obituaries/

If you must transact in US Dollars, go for it! Good news, You can use BTC to buy dollars, and you get more dollars for your BTC when you choose to do so! :-)

Ok coiner

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

EorayMel posted:

Ok coiner

meh, not much of a coiner, more just fascinated coder :-)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

dhrusis posted:

Yes, which is the same trilemma for literally all computer systems. There isn't a single thing in the world where you can't also apply that analysis to, which is why everyone has decided that decentralization is in the end a pointless distraction.

quote:

The point is that the Byzantine General's problem is a "problem" solved not with brute force computing but with engineering better systems to operate in. No one really cares about the Byzantine General problem in general, but if you find yourself in that situation it's worth asking why you are and how to NOT have that problem in the first place. It also doesn't, at the level which is being touted at, fix the basic issues of the Byzantine General problem, like trusting inputs and validating sources. The big "blockchain" innovation is source to table tracking; first, you can literally create a website to do this, second how the gently caress do I know you're not taking Shutterstock photos of some happy farmer, scrubbing the watermark and claiming that's your Guatemalan sharecropper whom you are paying 5 cents a month to harvest your organic coffee beans? Lastly, of course, is the fact is that it's just a website, some QR codes and a pirated copy of Access that someone wrote BLOCKCHAIN on.

quote:

Are you an idiot that thinks retail customers move 1 billion USD via moneygram? Or neglect the fact that Moneygram/Western Union/etc., have physical presences where people can literally walk in with a local ID (or none at all, depending on the area and trust of the users) and walk out with cash money in five minutes? Electronic remittances are trivial. The US has issues, the rest of the world doesn't, and the rest of the world have other problems like having the actual physical token of cash money that they use for their day-to-day transactions. Bitcoin solves none of this.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dhrusis posted:

prove it

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

kw0134 posted:

Yes, which is the same trilemma for literally all computer systems. There isn't a single thing in the world where you can't also apply that analysis to, which is why everyone has decided that decentralization is in the end a pointless distraction.

Oh boy lol. There was no collective agreement against decentralization, the Internet just got owned and people were too lazy and uneducated to realize the stakes and fight back.

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 30, 2020

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

kw0134 posted:

I disagree, I think decentralization, for the niche bitcoin fits in, is the key differentiator. How valueable is it will remain to be seen. It certainly isn't speed! haha. Need to look more into ethereum's centralization, although it seems pretty centered around Vitalik.

kw0134 posted:

Are you an idiot that thinks retail customers move 1 billion USD via moneygram? Or neglect the fact that Moneygram/Western Union/etc., have physical presences where people can literally walk in with a local ID (or none at all, depending on the area and trust of the users) and walk out with cash money in five minutes? Electronic remittances are trivial. The US has issues, the rest of the world doesn't, and the rest of the world have other problems like having the actual physical token of cash money that they use for their day-to-day transactions. Bitcoin solves none of this.

I'm not pitching bitcoin as a substitute for moneygram, and certainly not right now -- but there's potential there, and again, active development in the space. Why wouldn't a technology (blockchain based or otherwise) not come in to fill gaps? Why can't a bitcoin ATM do what you are talking about... they probably already do?

What are you arguing?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

xtal posted:

Oh boy lol. There was no collective agreement against decentralization, the Internet just got owned and people were too lazy and uneducated to realize the stakes and fight back.
The Internet simply demonstrates the trend; things tend towards centralization to the level that it can be gotten away with against the desire for autonomy. Visa and Mastercard are highly centralized, highly scalable systems to manage the cost, which is already prohibitive to create whole cloth today, from spiraling even further out of control. We centralize because it is expensive to create the inherent inefficiencies in a distributed system, and the basic point of economics is that we don't have all the resources we would like to do the things we want. No one went "yup, we're gonna start centralizing the Internet", but having the one place to do a search, the one place to find your friends, the one place to shittalk to celebs, etc., is obviously a very powerful draw. This is not a technological problem that is fixable, but an economics/psychology phenomenon.

dhrusis posted:

I disagree, I think decentralization, for the niche bitcoin fits in, is the key differentiator. How valueable is it will remain to be seen. It certainly isn't speed! haha. Need to look more into ethereum's centralization, although it seems pretty centered around Vitalik.
To feed from the above, the only reason anyone cares about "decentralization" in the context of their currency is purely ideological. If you don't believe in a trust based system, then you can't have any sort of real centralization so you must have it distributed. But this is only of real value to those who have a need to believe that trust is an unnecessary weakness in the system, as opposed to the current situation where you can't have a society without some trust.

quote:

I'm not pitching bitcoin as a substitute for moneygram, and certainly not right now -- but there's potential there, and again, active development in the space. Why wouldn't a technology (blockchain based or otherwise) not come in to fill gaps? Why can't a bitcoin ATM do what you are talking about... they probably already do
Because a bitcoin "atm" doesn't dispense local currency. It requires someone to go feed it, determine the identity of the person requesting money, dispense the currency, refill it when it gets empty, build the dang thing in the first place. You know, the actual physical plant which already exists for Moneygram/Western Union and for which your fees are paying. The entire point of bitcoin is to do it electronically; if you have to physically transact, which is like 90% of the world, then you've deliberately discarded that advantage, slim as it was in the first place (because, what, you think Moneygram take's someone's cash and puts it on a plane to the Philippines so they can put it in the envelope to get it to the shop in Luzon?)

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

dhrusis posted:

What are you fascinated by? Genuine question. The most useful part of "blockchain technology" has been in use in programming for decades already, there's nothing new here other than some libitarians went "imagine if we made a currency and could stick it to the fed!" which is where the incredible stupidity started and strangely, where you appear to have gotten hooked in.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

dhrusis posted:

Sure you are. As someone whose actually professionally deployed production code that affects literally millions of people, I can state with absolute certainty that blockchain barely qualifies as a database; it's a flat file containing sequential encrypted entries; it's not even a linked list or a proper relational database.

Flat file databases are literally the laziest way to store data because for them to be even the least bit useful you need to write a lot of glue code, which is a pain in the rear end.

As with bitcoin and ,unfortunately, like the majority of your poorly informed statements, it's a solution looking for a problem.

blockchain is a poor man's database

Please stop pretending to know what you are talking about, because it's not helping your case.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 30, 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
This person thought coinbase was FDIC insured lmaooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sure you are. As someone whose actually professionally deployed production code that affects literally millions of people, I can state with absolute certainty that blockchain barely qualifies as a database; it's a flat file containing sequential encrypted entries; it's not even a linked list or a proper relational database.

As with bitcoin and ,unfortunately, like the majority of your poorly informed statements, it's a solution looking for a problem.

blockchain is a poor man's database

Please stop pretending to know what you are talking about, because it's not helping your case.

There are probably a lot of nerds in this thread with better credentials, so I don't like taking it in that direction. I wouldn't use it as one, but Redis is called a database on Wikipedia, albeit a poor one indeed, and works similarly (no relations; supports append-only-logging; clustering). If it used a secure consensus algorithm, it would be very close to a blockchain. So, it seems like a blockchain could be considered a database as well.

xtal fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 30, 2020