Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

boredsatellite posted:

I've come to value early mana cost minions much more when drafting like I did with my first expedition and don't draft Avianna
One of the streamers who's played a lot of expedition likes Tryndamere, Anivia, and uh... I forget the third one the most, but he likes Demacia in terms of factions. I think it makes sense because Anivia and Tryndamere are so much better than most late game units you see, but early game units are reasonably competitive with early game heroes. Plus it lets you run lots of lower value cards like mystic shot.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Mono Shadow Isles and then Ashe/Katarina.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The problem with the Detain/Purify strat as interesting as that interaction is ain a vaccuum is that you're essentially committing 7 mana over two cards to remove a piece from the board. It's literally less cost-effective than Vengeance is pretty much every way and that's probably intentional.

e: if Detain was slightly cheaper, maybe at 3 or 4 (3 is absolutely overkill, mind), then this would be a fine strat because you're essentially trading hand advantage for the ability to spare a couple extra mana that you might need that turn. But it's literally exactly on par with Vengeance in Mana Cost but requires you commit an extra step to it, which makes it ultimately way worse.

e2: Yeah just doing a think on that, I think to make that combo a viable alternative to Vengeance you would need to reduce total combo cost to 5 instead of 7, which means you're either pushing Purify to a 1-mana spell/Detain to a 4 mana spell or Detain to a 3-mana spell, and I don't think either would be good for the health of the game.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 29, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

The Shortest Path posted:

This is really gross and I hate it, but thanks. :smith:

The timing just blows up completely if the designers try to allow that to happen. The MtG team had to give up on allowing an attack to go through after a blocker had been removed. They tried but I think it was with the release of Revised that it became a firm rule. Now maybe Riot designers can find a way to make it work but avoiding the paradox is challenging.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

mistaya posted:

Burst, the +8+4 Freljord one. To be clear on order of operations I was frostbitten on the bench, then set up the attackers, then cast the buff, then hit attack and let the shadow spawn assuming it'd have the boosted stats. Maybe if I had done it from the bench it'd have worked? I'm not certain when the shadows snapshot.

Actually thinking about it I read the text on the shadow and it read -8 (frostbitten) (zed would have been 12/x with the buff since he had a +1 from a mentor) so maybe it spawns the shadow, then applies the debuff? In which case it did apply the buff card, and only the buff card, and then RE-frostbit him. This seems like a funky interaction that might need to be reported to the devs.

This may be actual genius. Are there other silences besides Purify?

Was it a leveled up Zed? Frostbite is a Keyword I believe, so it copied the stats, then applied Frostbite :v:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Monathin posted:

The problem with the Detain/Purify strat as interesting as that interaction is ain a vaccuum is that you're essentially committing 7 mana over two cards to remove a piece from the board. It's literally less cost-effective than Vengeance is pretty much every way and that's probably intentional.

e: if Detain was slightly cheaper, maybe at 3 or 4 (3 is absolutely overkill, mind), then this would be a fine strat because you're essentially trading hand advantage for the ability to spare a couple extra mana that you might need that turn. But it's literally exactly on par with Vengeance in Mana Cost but requires you commit an extra step to it, which makes it ultimately way worse.

e2: Yeah just doing a think on that, I think to make that combo a viable alternative to Vengeance you would need to reduce total combo cost to 5 instead of 7, which means you're either pushing Purify to a 1-mana spell/Detain to a 4 mana spell or Detain to a 3-mana spell, and I don't think either would be good for the health of the game.
I imagine the idea is more to have a use for purify in matches that aren't against elusive aggro (as if such a thing exists).

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Sometimes the opponent just draw perfectly against you, against any other deck thsoe draws would have lost. But just against you..

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Detain definitely shouldn't be cheaper and purify could get some kind of conditional card draw attached to it, as its real price is a card draw otherwise better spent on a creature or a hard removal.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Ashe is super strong in expeditions.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Buller posted:

Ashe is super strong in expeditions.

Frostbite is okay. You do want a lot of Challenger creatures, and you can start generating crazy value, especially if they go vertical instead of wide.

Kinda weak versus a wide board and Shen Barrier though.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Im not going challenger, instead once Ashe levels up she has an ability that enemies with 0 power cant block. So when you have a lethal board, you use frozen wind which gives everyone frostbite then just swing in.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
And I got like 4 shatters, which deal 4 dmg to frostbitten enemies, super strong combo with rime shaman.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Monathin posted:

This is definitely true but because it IS split over two cards you don't need to play the purify (which is a burst spell) until the unit holding the detainee is threatened with lethal, it essentially becomes denial for someone who's overplaying to get the card you stole back. And Purify's only two mana so it's a pretty efficient denial.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

is there anywhere that has a good card tier list up yet?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I imported Swim's Budget Elite deck and won 4 in a row in Ranked. Dead simple tribal deck but it's fun nonetheless, and looks great and thematic with all the knights laid out.

Has anybody tried the upgraded version? https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/bok0335p0i9p574egpr0

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Imagined posted:

I imported Swim's Budget Elite deck and won 4 in a row in Ranked. Dead simple tribal deck but it's fun nonetheless, and looks great and thematic with all the knights laid out.

Has anybody tried the upgraded version? https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/bok0335p0i9p574egpr0

What rank are you playing at?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

d0grent posted:

What rank are you playing at?

Yeah... that probably explains it.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Imagined posted:

I was close to having these anyway so I spent some wildcards and so far so good, I'm just playing normal though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I made my own variation of a deck filled with elusives and I gotta say it's disgusting and I feel bad for using it, these poor people are trying to play the silly league card game and I'm swinging at their face for half their life by turn 3 and they can't do anything about it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Curious how high people have climbed in rank so far, I managed to get silver yesterday, but today was kind of a stalled day. I ran into too many mirrors and didn't win enough of them to advance. Not sure if I should try a counter-deck or stick with it but mirrors are pretty boring with Elusive rushdown since it's mainly won by whoever gets the right starting hand/first couple draws.

Also I got my Ionian champion capsule thing and of course it was a third ZED instead of a Karma or Yasuo.

ZEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!! :argh:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The good news is that Yasuo doesn't really have a great place in the meta from what I've seen, so not getting him is good!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Studio posted:

The good news is that Yasuo doesn't really have a great place in the meta from what I've seen, so not getting him is good!

He was the one champion I got from the weekly vault.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Does Kalista have any place in the meta?

Still not sure what her use case is.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Studio posted:

I feel like this isn't true. Yasuo/Zed is pretty good at contending with Elusive aggro with the sheer number of stuns, Recall absolutely owns pumped-up Lifeblades, you have Deny chiefly to counter their Deny, etc.

Yasuo is probably harder to use effectively than generic aggro beats, but he's like Ezreal/Karma/Ashe/Jinx/Draven in that I think they're being massively undervalued by the current crop of people playing. They're all mostly bad in draft where you can't build around them, but in constructed I'm consistently winning more than I lose against Elusive aggro with Yasuo. I've seen way fewer Dawnspiders decks recently so I haven't played the matchup much lately, so I don't know about that.

I also just got finished going 7-0 on this Expedition in the first run, so second run I'm trying out Ashe and Fiora. I have no idea how this is gonna work but that's the beauty of 2nd run after a victory, you just gently caress around and do whatever.

mistaya posted:

Curious how high people have climbed in rank so far, I managed to get silver yesterday, but today was kind of a stalled day. I ran into too many mirrors and didn't win enough of them to advance. Not sure if I should try a counter-deck or stick with it but mirrors are pretty boring with Elusive rushdown since it's mainly won by whoever gets the right starting hand/first couple draws.

Also I got my Ionian champion capsule thing and of course it was a third ZED instead of a Karma or Yasuo.

ZEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!! :argh:
Zed's good though! He creates a lot of pressure if you get him on curve. Inspiring Mentor is about as much as I'd invest in him in most decks, but it's still scary seeing a 4|3 first strike who generates copies coming out on turn 3. I'm not sure he's worth building, like, an entire shell around - I think he works best as just cheap and easy "okay, you deal with this" type shenanigans. But I don't think he's bad.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Does Kalista have any place in the meta?

Still not sure what her use case is.
Rating Champions is harder than just saying that so-and-so isn't good or so-and-so is very good because playing Kalista means you have access to the Shadow Isles suite of cards by default, which I think should factor in to any analysis. If you run Ezreal you're locked in to using Piltover & Zaun as one of your factions no matter what, for example, so if you think P&Z isn't good it's tough to argue that Ezreal is good unless you're talking in a vacuum. So I think it's most useful to try and judge them within the same faction.

That said I'm also not really sold on Kalista. I'd say her problem is being at 3 health even after leveling up. At 4|2 for 3 she's not terrible and Fearsome certainly helps, but she's in Mystic Shot range until allies die, and then she's in Black Spear/Get Excited! range after leveling anyway, and that kinda sucks. In faction, Elise is cheaper with the same keyword but more health, and is probably easier to bring online within decks that run her; Thresh and Hecarim are beefy boys who can win games more or less on their own. There are 5 Champions (across all factions) either less expensive or equally expensive who have more health and summarily do more things, and the ones who don't have better keywords like Quick Attack and Elusive (Teemo, Lucian, Zed). There's probably something in Ephemeral that makes her "+2|+0, resurrect if dead on attack" buff really snazzy, but I don't know what it is. Maybe the Ephemeral squid bonded after she's leveled up and you have some dead Shark Chariots lurking about?

I don't think I have enough data to write them off entirely, but Lux, Anivia, Katarina, Teemo, and Kalista haven't worked with me at all in constructed, but that's based on really really cursory playtesting and theorycrafting across two low level accounts. All 5 of them are probably good in some deck, I'd bet.

e:
I kinda wanna try out an Ezreal/Karma deck that looks like this, code CEBAGAICAIUTCBYBAQBQIEY3D4SDIAQCAECBALQCAEBC4NQCAEAQIMABAEBC6. Is anyone doing something similar that has feedback?

e2:
The second run did not go very well.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 30, 2020

breaks
May 12, 2001

Kalista's bond used to redirect damage to her to the bonded unit back in the first beta, then they decided that was a combination of OP and too hard to understand, and replaced it with the half-assed and so far useless card that exists today. IIRC there were one or two other interesting champs that got a similar, just get this poo poo out of the base set kind of treatment.

I think Thresh was the other one I was thinking of, but it wasn't quite as much of a wholesale gently caress this card as the Kalista change was.

breaks fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 30, 2020

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Been building towards a Heimer+Ezreal P&D/SI draw go control build. I think there's something here. Certainly been brutalizing a lot of the ionia/demacia decks. Ezreal and heimer both make for excellent win cons.

I also think there might be a stun/recall two-out control/midrange build that uses Katarina to power up Yasuo quickly, then just murder their board by forcing recalls and stuns on their units. Haven't really theory crafted it out yet though.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 30, 2020

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

berenzen posted:

Been building towards a Heimer+Ezreal P&D/SI draw go control build. I think there's something here. Certainly been brutalizing a lot of the ionia/demacia decks. Ezreal and heimer both make for excellent win cons.

I also think there might be a stun/recall build that uses Katarina to power up Yasuo quickly, then just murder their board by forcing recalls and stuns on their units.

Kat slows the deck down a lot I think. The Rally is nice, but I never get much out of her before she dies, and the fact that she's more expensive to re-cast on level up is kinda bad. Yasuo hitting his level up is never really a problem in the deck, and mana management is at a premium. I'm not saying it's impossible to do, but I get more mileage out of Zed than Kat after testing a bit. Yone, Minah, and Intimidating Roar by themselves usually result in a board wipe or getting Yasuo to immediately level up if cheap units and Steel Tempest/Recall didn't get you there.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I’ve been crushing mid silver with shadow/nox aggro, it tends to outrace elusive and control decks handily. The meta seems to be shifting daily though. At first I saw a lot of dawnspiders, then elusive cropped up and started beating that, then you saw a bunch of challenger based decks to counter elusive, etc.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I liked the Ashe deck so much in Expedition I just might build it constructed. It really makes you think before you just throw out spells.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Ezreal is Ez in Expeditions

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The secret to expeditions is Jam Ionia Elusive with either Freyjord or Demacia for buffs.

It's super unlikely more than 1 opposing deck in your run will have the aggro strategy to beat you.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think the two best draft strategies are an ionia list with as many elusives as possible or freljord/SI with lots of removal + anivia. There are so many ways to duplicate anivia in SI that you will get some and win long (anivia isnt very impressive outside of that color combo).

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I think the Freljord combo will suffer, as up until 7 mana your only removal is 1/3 brekpoints, which evasives will be buffed out of range for.

To be 100% clear my draft strategy is:
Give me Elusives until I have a solid base
GIVE ME EVERY INSPIRING MENTOR YOU HAVE

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm really optimistic about the future of this game. It's super fun, offers a completely different experience from its competitors, has a ton of addictive interaction and a high skill ceiling, and seems to already have a ton of players even before the mobile version comes out. Add to that generous F2P rewards and a little bit of whale resistance. I feel like it's Riot's game to lose at this point.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

zeds good to throw into a hecarim shark deck to force them to do something to deal with him while you build up for your big burst round

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Imagined posted:

Yeah... that probably explains it.

Just wondering cause I'm S1 and wanna know how long I can use a deck like that before hitting a wall

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You can probably take it pretty far if you play well and are willing to grind it out. High bronze or maybe even silver. You'll climb faster with a better deck, but even a well put together budget deck is still going to be able to take wins. So long as you can maintain a 50+% winrate over time, you'll climb.

Right now removal is king, there's a billion and one aggro decks on the ladder because they handed us more aggro cards to start out with than control cards. The more I work on this ezreal/heimer deck, the more I'm liking it. D+J disco burn is another deck I'm looking at putting together, but I wanted to go with something that just makes the elusive aggro decks cry.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

What is making the elusive decks cry? I like playing them but they're so common right now I know I'd win a lot more if I had a counter-deck.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

mistaya posted:

What is making the elusive decks cry? I like playing them but they're so common right now I know I'd win a lot more if I had a counter-deck.

Challenger buff was what I saw swim testing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Challenger isnt really doing it. There was a noxus SI spider aggro list that was played by the first guy to hit master that was used because of its favorable elusive matchup.