Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Bape Culture posted:

What happened with that hospital they said they were gonna build last week?
Everyone was like “look how amazing China is!!!” With a photo of some diggers but then nothing.

"We were never building a hospital who told you that never mind this giant lump of dirt that smells faintly of decaying human remains."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bape Culture posted:

Everyone was like “look how amazing China is!!!” With a photo of some diggers but then nothing.

we regret to inform you that the workers were all uyhgur and have been harvested

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it safe or order Chinese food in the US? What about eating out?

Don't be a shellfish lover and don't be a selfish lover, respectively.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Bape Culture posted:

Another Bill posted:

They posted a photo of a the completed hospital, which was debunked minutes later as being 6 months old. lol?

If only there was some kind of live stream, where one could monitor progress. Nah, better to post fake news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKn1MgCh_1A

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Bape Culture posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5gn_EdMgPU

efb

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Lambert posted:

If only there was some kind of live stream, where one could monitor progress. Nah, better to post fake news.

Wonder what VPN they're using to stream that through the Great Firewall to YouTube.

I bet it's not NordVPN

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Lambert posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKn1MgCh_1A

I'm glad the hospital is being built, but the tweeting out a stock photo thing is not fake news at all.

https://twitter.com/blakersdozen/status/1222302596263661568

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

quote:

Researchers at the Centre for Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine have modelled the effectiveness of screening based on estimates of the incubation period and sensitivity of detection techniques.

They found are using “generally conservative assumptions” more than 63% of infected patients do not get detected. A paper on the research warned that such screening “is only achievable if the rate of asymptomatic infections that are transmissible is negligible, screening sensitivity is almost perfect, and the incubation period is short.”

It concluded:

“We find that airport screening for initial symptoms, via thermal scanners or similar, on either exit or entry is unlikely to detect a sufficient proportion of 2019-nCoV infected travellers in order to avoid entry of infected travellers and therefore the potential for seeding of local transmission."

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Lambert posted:

People collapsing is something that happens with regularity. Also, everything posted on social media is a lie.

I know this is a joke post but it's true

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Maybe it's a bad idea to compare this new coronavirus with SARS when it's very likely that this is more comparable to H1N1

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Luckyellow posted:

Maybe it's a bad idea to compare this new coronavirus with SARS when it's very likely that this is more comparable to H1N1

It's being compared to SARS because that is another coronavirus with an unknown animal reservoir (but which we suspect involves bats) that first appeared in China, unlike H1N1, which is an influenza virus that first appeared in Mexico which is positively endemic to pigs - very different virus family with very different origins.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
So this thing was allegedly already active on January 12th (or earlier)

https://twitter.com/WilliamYang120/status/1222819217327546368

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

It was active back in early December

https://www.idsociety.org/public-health/Novel-Coronavirus

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Oh yeah, actually I wrote on the OP last week. Seems scarier now that we know how contagious it is person-to-person and without symptoms.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I have been sneezing all day and feeling generally sick. Am I going to die?!? God I hope so.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1222893040001519616

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Enfys posted:

It's being compared to SARS because that is another coronavirus with an unknown animal reservoir (but which we suspect involves bats) that first appeared in China, unlike H1N1, which is an influenza virus that first appeared in Mexico which is positively endemic to pigs - very different virus family with very different origins.

I didn't mean to compare them on the genetic level lol. More like the potential impact like the number of total people infected and spread rates.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Where is a credible site for lots of news on this?

I want stuff like death stats per infected, length of infection, symptoms, areas affected, etc etc. I've got a pregnant wife with a public service job and an 18 month old in daycare.

edit: I remember about 2006 maybe, everyone was going on about SARS and how everyone would die, and it was just a big wet fart as far as I could tell. And yeah a colleague was like, "it's not funny, my children will die!" when I made a joke about it. Now I suppose I'm that guy.

VVVV are you still going in to work? (lol)

redreader fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 30, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
my coworker just came down with cold symptoms a few days after he flew back from Asia by way of Japan in a plane full of Chinese people. I have now also caught it.

my entire office is convinced we're dying of coronavirus, it's awesome

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Corpse-pit excavator is a job and also the name of my new grindcore band.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

redreader posted:

I want stuff like death stats per infected, length of infection, symptoms, areas affected, etc etc. I've got a pregnant wife with a public service job and an 18 month old in daycare.

18 month old will be fine, you and the wife will be fine so long as you're under 50, don't smoke, and have no problems with your immune systems

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"fine" may include a 2 week ICU stay lol

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just get yourself a leaf blower and some cpap tubing, you'll be fine :science:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You do realize people did die from SARS? Sorry your apocalypse scenario wasn't fulfilled.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

redreader posted:

no, I'm a computer toucher so I'm WFH today even though we don't really allow WFH (thanks boomer boss)

my coworker on the other hand went in today and apparently was hacking up a lung in a meeting room without covering his mouth. I heard a coworker on a call just straight up yell at him "loving GO HOME ALREADY" lmao

poty
Jun 21, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

my coworker just came down with cold symptoms a few days after he flew back from Asia by way of Japan in a plane full of Chinese people. I have now also caught it.

Good news, you won't be the first ones

https://twitter.com/DeItaOne/status/1222938434928553985

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

redreader posted:

edit: I remember about 2006 maybe, everyone was going on about SARS and how everyone would die, and it was just a big wet fart as far as I could tell. And yeah a colleague was like, "it's not funny, my children will die!" when I made a joke about it. Now I suppose I'm that guy.

Infants and kids don’t really seem to contract corona virus, at least to an “they might die” level, unless they have some existing genetic immune issues but unlike flu where flu kills infants and oldes, it’s seemingly only oldes.

Wife should be fine, it’s hittting men a lot harder as far as we know and women seem to get off lighter. Miscarriage could be on the table if things get unlucky but that’s be the only credible concern I would have

And yes 800 people died from SARS with total cases of 8000 over 8 months (albeit most were in the first 3 months). We are just a few weeks out and have already surpassed number of infected but official deaths are only bout 200. Still a lot more time to go but I see no way that ncova doesn’t kill at least four digit numbers by end of feb given it’s characteristic traits that make it a lot more contagious and easily and unknowable spreadable at large

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 30, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If the baby lives he must be named after the virus for good luck

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

TheAardvark posted:

no, I'm a computer toucher so I'm WFH today even though we don't really allow WFH (thanks boomer boss)

my coworker on the other hand went in today and apparently was hacking up a lung in a meeting room without covering his mouth. I heard a coworker on a call just straight up yell at him "loving GO HOME ALREADY" lmao

Wear a mask during work if you are worry.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So many dumb fucks at work who shake your hand and describe the symptoms they're currently experiencing for seasonal flu/rear end disturbance

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

I have been sneezing all day and feeling generally sick. Am I going to die?!? God I hope so.

Good news: you are already dead.
Bad news: you are a sick ghost.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The WHO to classify the epidemic as "mostly not excellent news but hey", China's lauded as a good powerful country doing reasonable thibgs thanks to the great guidance of xi jinoing's thought, per WHO

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

gary oldmans diary posted:

we should all be eating bats to build our resistance

Yes. Definitely do this.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Bats are after all just a bigger, cuter type of bug so it makes sense to vaxx yourself by eating them.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

TheAardvark posted:

This coronavirus doesn't really have upper respiratory symptoms - it attacks the lungs. If you have cold symptoms like sinus infection/runny nose, etc you probably just have a boring old cold.

If you have fever and shortness of breath from a deep chesty lung infection, then maybe you have it.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Unverified even when or where its from but claims to be fighting at the site of one of the new hospitals.

https://twitter.com/cowgoatbuff/status/1222899117967306759

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
That's just how Chinese construction people roll

That's why their wages have risen like 5000% in the last 20 years

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

The amount of c* I saw walking around town today coughing their lungs up whilst making no attempt whatsoever to cover their mouths doesn’t bode well for the UK when this thing eventually gets here

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 30, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Enfys posted:

This coronavirus doesn't really have upper respiratory symptoms - it attacks the lungs.

That's what I read as well at one point but all of the official guidance says generally cold symptoms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Lungs aren't upper respiratory