Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I honestly have no idea what the hell is going on with the Doom ports. How did they manage to expand Doom to half a gigabyte?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mega64 posted:

Remember when goons were trading in their moms for their kids?

That's what you gotta do when they keep saying anti immigrant poo poo at dinner.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
The Switch Lite was Nintendo trying to hit the price point of "okay, I'll finally buy one and a copy of Pokémon to throw at my child so that they will shut up and I can go back to trying to cheat on my significant other on tinder/grindr."

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Weedle posted:

I honestly have no idea what the hell is going on with the Doom ports. How did they manage to expand Doom to half a gigabyte?

Bethesda is a modern AAA developer, and modern AAA developers go "By default, this system has a 500GB drive, so do whatever and make sure the game is under 500GB. 340GB? Yeah, toss it up. The Blu-ray won't fit that? Add in a required, compressed day 1 patch."

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Weedle posted:

Intro sequence. They included a recording of the MIDI sound track twice. Also I'm pretty sure Doom (1993) and Doom II are completely identical except for the home menu icon and a config flag "isDoom2".

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I think this has been overstated. It was a legitimate concern when PS4 Pro was announced, and I don't know what happened with Doom 93, but the vast majority of games run completely fine on a day-1 launch PS4 with some enhancements on the Pro.

It's absolutely against the own interests of developers to make games with a 'Pro' as the lead console because the user-base will be much smaller.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Takoluka posted:

Bethesda is a modern AAA developer, and modern AAA developers go "By default, this system has a 500GB drive, so do whatever and make sure the game is under 500GB. 340GB? Yeah, toss it up. The Blu-ray won't fit that? Add in a required, compressed day 1 patch."

I know saying things like 'In my day, GoldenEye fit into a 12 megabyte cartridge' makes you sound like a proper old gently caress but how on earth does something like the new Modern Warfare justify taking up 100 gig+ on a hard drive?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

jackhunter64 posted:

I know saying things like 'In my day, GoldenEye fit into a 12 megabyte cartridge' makes you sound like a proper old gently caress but how on earth does something like the new Modern Warfare justify taking up 100 gig+ on a hard drive?

probably uncompressed audio for a bunch of different languages

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bond only needs the Queen's English.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

MMF Freeway posted:

Plus a boatload of hi-res textures.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MMF Freeway posted:

Even then shouldn't you be able to remove those in a check box on the installer? poo poo I don't know anything about computers are there even installers anymore?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do you think Hyrule Warriors on the easiest setting could ease a kid who really likes Zelda into the action genre?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Do you think Hyrule Warriors on the easiest setting could ease a kid who really likes Zelda into the action genre?

Start with dark souls imo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andrast posted:

Start with dark souls imo

The child will give up or become gaming's Leonidas

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

the story mode should be fine as long as they're old enough to understand the mission objectives like telling them to go to a location or fight a certain boss enemy

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

N64 Joycons would be neat

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
We're getting Battle Brothers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9EsmhrzXsY

Footage is obviously from PC but I'm hopeful, it would be great on the go.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Doom on switch is hella good you guys the 60 FPS rules and the controls are actually great, first time I actually like playing with controllers, the amount of content you get for 5 bucks is a loving steal.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

nintendo should do one of those nintendo direct things that I’ve heard so much about

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Doom on consoles is weird because honestly unless you've literally never played it before, 90% of the reason to play Doom these days is the massive collection of user maps that have been made over 25(!) years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

romanowski posted:

nintendo should do one of those nintendo direct things that I’ve heard so much about

I thought a Nintendo Direct was suppose to be coming next month, but Nintendo doesn't really announce these things until very close to the Direct.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Doom on consoles is weird because honestly unless you've literally never played it before, 90% of the reason to play Doom these days is the massive collection of user maps that have been made over 25(!) years.

the original campaigns are still good, op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wamdoodle posted:

the original campaigns are still good, op

i mean yeah but you can only play Knee Deep in the Dead so many times

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i mean yeah but you can only play Knee Deep in the Dead so many times

Yup about once every 18 months

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1222893655297445889

Interested to see how this runs despite being the lesser of the "Outer" games. It’s releasing surprisingly soon

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200130_3e.pdf

Nintendo revealed the internal sales of their software

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Everyone loves mario kart

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
iirc there were some things about Bethesda potentially offering user maps in their Doom ports but how these would work and who would curate them wasn't detailed. a lot of the most acclaimed mapsets, especially in the last decade were actually made for a port of Doom known as Boom, which had a few extra features and also removed limits on item/monster count, so I doubt you'd get those in a console port.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Astral Chain selling a million units is cool

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

hatty posted:

Interested to see how this runs despite being the lesser of the "Outer" games. It’s releasing surprisingly soon
Digital only. Boo, I say, boo! (I'll still probably buy it).

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Everyone loves mario kart

Baffling that they haven't released more DLC, though I guess all the effort is going into the mobile game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

Astral Chain selling a million units is cool

I really enjoyed it, especially going in blind. I expected something like MGR or Bayonetta and was completely blindsided that it was a full-blown ARPG

surc
Aug 17, 2004

jackhunter64 posted:

In a general sense, there are a lot of reasons for this:
-lower end machines can have frame issues if they have to uncompress audio, so using uncompressed audio avoids this issue at the cost of requiring a lot more storage.
-texture storage space goes up like.... exponentially the higher res the textures are.
-optimization isn't flashy, and it costs $$ and time, the push to move on to the next feature/product/deliverable is strong, it's gonna make the company more money than optimization will
-NOBODY loving TESTS ON LOW LEVEL MACHINES AHHHHHHHH THEY'RE JUST LIKE "Hey it works fine on my $5k+ workstation, ship it!" AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
-Most of the people working on a part of the game have no idea what the overall size of a game is, when designing and developing their stuff. If you're lucky, a team of like 5 people know, more likely one person does.
-Any number of poor business decisions or infrastructure/hierarchy stuff at companies, a lot of gaming companies are not good at being a company, or just make more money not optimizing, which is actually a good business decision but imo feeds into and leads to a more general a lovely development ownership mindset. If you want a specific AAA title though, not like you have any alternatives, so it makes a lot of sense for the company.

In the specific case of Modern Warfare, it seems to have been a lovely product/marketing call, although potentially it could also be that nobody actually knew what size it would be without the extra content if the extra content is already in development/most of the way through, it's totally possible the devs might only ever be seeing the size with all that content.
https://blog.activision.com/call-of-duty/2019-10/Announcement-Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-PC-Specifications-are-Released

quote:

Note! In each of the Specs, the HDD references HD space of 175GB. 175GB is the storage space we recommend players keep available in order to download the post-launch content we’ll be bringing to Modern Warfare. At launch, the initial download will be smaller.

surc fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 30, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hatty posted:

It's not the best choice

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's alright if you want that specific genre of open-world first person ARPG on the go but it's a really depressingly unambitious game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Outer Worlds is Obsidian trying to make a Bethesda game, including the bad writing

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

jackhunter64 posted:

Uncompressed audio, uncompressed 4k textures for everything, and in the case of MW specifically, it actually has a bunch of pre-rendered video for cut scenes (it's not in-engine).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 30, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andrast posted:

The Outer Worlds is Obsidian trying to make a Bethesda game, including the bad writing

it turns out that the one thing Obsidian needed to do all along to get universally positive review scores was to make a game without any risk-taking or ambition whatsoever

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Feels Villeneuve posted:

iirc there were some things about Bethesda potentially offering user maps in their Doom ports but how these would work and who would curate them wasn't detailed. a lot of the most acclaimed mapsets, especially in the last decade were actually made for a port of Doom known as Boom, which had a few extra features and also removed limits on item/monster count, so I doubt you'd get those in a console port.

Sigil requires a limit-removing port, so it at least has that. Not having Boom extensions limits things, but there are still a lot of big names they could add like Double Impact, Back to Saturn X, and the Scythe series. Also some of the really old stuff that still holds up like Hell Revealed and Memento Mori.

Being able to co-op through Double Impact on Switch would make me buy it instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it turns out that the one thing Obsidian needed to do all along to get universally positive review scores was to make a game without any risk-taking or ambition whatsoever

I think you'd be surprised at how big the market is for "a bethesda game from 2013 except it's a functional product"