Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Kaethela posted:

Gotta admit, pretty good idea.

waldo sniper is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I wish I could enjoy payload and or A/D, but anytime Red is actually successful at defending it makes me want to pop my eyeballs out my skull.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Playing defense effectively as red can be hella rewarding, especially if you take the "offensive defense" route and just push in to destroy any progress blu made. That can be taking out their forward nest, causing the med to drop, maybe just getting like 7 kills in one suicide run and stopping their big push dead.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSAVRfqgjwo

This time misc clips

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Playing defense effectively as red can be hella rewarding, especially if you take the "offensive defense" route and just push in to destroy any progress blu made. That can be taking out their forward nest, causing the med to drop, maybe just getting like 7 kills in one suicide run and stopping their big push dead.

Defense always felt impossible to me because no matter how many twos of people I blew up each life, the enemy team would always manage to cap the next point.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Defense always felt impossible to me because no matter how many twos of people I blew up each life, the enemy team would always manage to cap the next point.

Very interested in migrating to your parallel dimension where every payload-A/D map doesn't end with a 5+ minute long slog for the last point.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
20 minute final map Dustbowl is alive and well, I assure you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of the most underrated aspects of a good Engineer is Dispenser placement.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It certainly is. If you guys haven't watch Uncle Danes video on the dispenser, I recommend it.

https://youtu.be/vBbVrcaM1Wg

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Good engineers should always prioritize dispenser and teleports. Keep teams alive and at the frontlines.

Level 3 dispensers are great for random fights when medics are lazy/unavailable. I like to build them near the frontlines to attract friendlies. Enemies have to break through a human wall to get TP or SG...

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, sentries and turtled engies are really easy to take down in a vacuum, the problem is when there's a team supporting them by shooting at you that it gets really hard.

I think it has to do with sentries and combat classes needing different strategies; you can keep moving against an enemy and take shots at them until they die, but a sentry will just shoot and probably kill you if you're in its very specific range, no matter how much you dance around. It's easiest to take them down by standing still where they can't see you and lobbing a couple shots at them, but that makes you a big dumb target for anyone that can move around and find you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Galaxander posted:

Very interested in migrating to your parallel dimension where every payload-A/D map doesn't end with a 5+ minute long slog for the last point.

Oh no, those still happen too, I just mean that even when I'm alive the cart never stops capping points no matter how hard I try to stop it. It's was a rare day when I was actually on the team that won payload defense.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, sentries and turtled engies are really easy to take down in a vacuum, the problem is when there's a team supporting them by shooting at you that it gets really hard.

I think it has to do with sentries and combat classes needing different strategies; you can keep moving against an enemy and take shots at them until they die, but a sentry will just shoot and probably kill you if you're in its very specific range, no matter how much you dance around. It's easiest to take them down by standing still where they can't see you and lobbing a couple shots at them, but that makes you a big dumb target for anyone that can move around and find you.

Yeah, I was never good enough to run around a sentry like the scout in the TF2 videos.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was never a good enough demo to bounce a pill off a wall and have it explode on contact with an enemy behind me (because I started playing after they patched that out).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hihohe posted:

It certainly is. If you guys haven't watch Uncle Danes video on the dispenser, I recommend it.

https://youtu.be/vBbVrcaM1Wg

What Uncle Dane points out regarding Sentry positioning is also important, I've found more success with using Sentries once I realized they work better being behind the frontline rather than right on it most of the time

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The correct place to put a sentry is whatever location on Hightower your enemies are least likely to suspect has a sentry in it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ariong posted:

The correct place to put a sentry is whatever location on Hightower your enemies are least likely to suspect has a sentry in it.

Hightower is funny in that it's probably the map where Sentries are at their most powerful in terms of how they control the game's outcome, but are also at their most vulnerable due to the map's design

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh yes, the fact that you have to be very proactive in defending the sentry once they discover it and root out people trying to flank it is what makes it so fun! Even then it's only a matter of time before the thing gets blown apart, and then it's time to find a new weird place to put it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

In my experience there are two ways to place sentries.

Defense turtle protect a objective or flank.

Or

Suprise! Sentry In the middle of loving nowhere.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The latter of those two is probably also attached to a Frontier Justice engie just waiting for someone to unleash the crit train.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Kaethela posted:

Gotta admit, pretty good idea.

Even with the bright, scorching flames, they'll never find you. Or they'll always find you. Either/or.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You need a big crowd of snipers, some who have the shirt, and others that have the hat, but only one that has both.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Jabor posted:

You need a big crowd of snipers, some who have the shirt, and others that have the hat, but only one that has both.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
all the team fortress clips i have. im done. maybe i can play this again for real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_zSOr4MkJI

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The Medic arrow gun seems fun. I never really used it, kinda stopped playing when it came out.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
its really powerful, especially against living things.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

ArfJason posted:

all the team fortress clips i have. im done. maybe i can play this again for real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_zSOr4MkJI

What's up with typing a | before whatever you say?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The Medic arrow gun seems fun. I never really used it, kinda stopped playing when it came out.

It's so much better and more fun than the others.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
its also one of the most versatile weapons in the game, doing something no matter who you hit. also when you land a sick long range heal, even if the guy was 10hp from max you feel like a goddamn hero, and when you outsnipe a sniper it feels great. the inverse falloff mechanic is complete genius and should be in at least a couple more weapons

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ArfJason posted:

its really powerful, especially against living things.

Also supporting living things!

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I think inverse falloff is bad. The further away your target is, the more hitting them is a matter of luck or them being a complete dunce rather than any measure of the user's skill. At least when it comes to projectiles. Frankly I'm not eager for any more stuff to become viable at long range.

But yes it is extremely satisfying to stake the heart of a bastid sniper who is trying to make you drop uber.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Galaxander posted:

What's up with typing a | before whatever you say?

might be how the separator thingie in the text prompt looks at that res, i aint typing any of the sort

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Galaxander posted:

I think inverse falloff is bad. The further away your target is, the more hitting them is a matter of luck or them being a complete dunce rather than any measure of the user's skill. At least when it comes to projectiles. Frankly I'm not eager for any more stuff to become viable at long range.

But yes it is extremely satisfying to stake the heart of a bastid sniper who is trying to make you drop uber.

i mean yeah for most things it shouldnt be good, like in pistol shots, and also falloff is intentional so that encounters are more up close and personal...
but projectiles like the arrow are so skill dependant because they are snipe-like, single shot with long delay, that it works really well, especially when you take into account that they arc.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

ArfJason posted:

its also one of the most versatile weapons in the game, doing something no matter who you hit. also when you land a sick long range heal, even if the guy was 10hp from max you feel like a goddamn hero, and when you outsnipe a sniper it feels great. the inverse falloff mechanic is complete genius and should be in at least a couple more weapons

Okay but what about outsniping a sniper, over a sniper lane, using one of the other syringe guns? Because I managed that once and I had to taunt immediately, while still standing in the sniper lane.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

Inverse falloff is a loving terrible idea, they've tried it several times on other weapons and it's dumb and miserable. The further a projectile travels the less control you have over whether it hits.

It works for the crossbow because its DPS is so terrible that the damage bonus is not overly punishing, and the healing bonus can be coordinated with your teammate which is worth rewarding.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
conversely, the further a projectile travels, the more skilled you have to be to land it :getin:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The inverse fallout makes medics who think they're king poo poo try to snipe heal teammates from across the map instead of healing someone standing right next to them. Though it does feel satisfying as all hell to get the cross-map save.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i ALWAYS prioritize my low health friends... i even have the autocaller set to whenever theyre not fully healed........ this is slander...

also i have a recording of my first 6v6 (non valve btw) match, but its large, thinking of deleting it

i think i should start using prec instead of shadowplay

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

conversely, the further a projectile travels, the more skilled you have to be to land it :getin:

After a certain point your skill becomes pretty much irrelevant, the only thing you can do is fire and hope someone chooses to walk into it.

If someone is walking in a straight line, sure, you can hit them on purpose if you're good enough. But most of the time at extreme range it's just playing percentages; you might as well fire blindly into a high traffic area and hope for the best.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If you're good at soldier those skills transfer over pretty well, since you're already trained to predict movement. I've had some sick crossbow saves.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Crossbow meds are super helpful to me if I have to jump into a nook or whatever to get out of the direct line of fire with our med on the other side. It lets them heal me without having to either expose themselves or make it super obvious where I am by sticking a giant glowing umbilical cord to me.

Think like right after the first point on barnblitz, if I'm stuck on that little ledge to the right just outside the point with my med pulling back into the barn, he can hit me with the crossbow without having to stand right in the danger zone. That can get me enough health to either risk pulling out or wait for the cart to roll past and hope I can ambush them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It used to be pyro but over the years medic has become my favourite class to play. I really like just floating around healing people and crossbowing both my teammates and my enemies. In fact, all those years of detonator pyro have really helped with my crossbow aim. I could not play medic without the push to heal someone else script though. Being able to run around and the beam automatically jump between people with a push saves my mouse button and my finger.