Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

A combination of limited-use planning flashbacks and resources that grant temporary narrative control (in an area defined by the resource spent) to the player that spends them?

Not going to lie, The Leverage RPG was going to be my example of a game that gets close to covering that conceptual space. I wouldn't call it a perfect fit by any means but it would be far from the worst jumping off point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DalaranJ posted:

How would one write a mechanical framework for "Clever Solution to Dangerous Situations"?

Mage: The Awakening.

Not joking. It's a game about using a mechanically robust system of both pre-defined and custom spells to solve narrative problems. That kind of gameplay was rightly jettisoned from 3.5E -> 4E, but if you wanted to play a game that's all about that and divides player agency much more equitably between roles? That's it. Best of all, everyone gets to be a wizard!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So the core book for Symbaroum is currently free in promotion for a new supplement that just came out, anyone want to tell me if Symbaroum is any good?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

A combination of limited-use planning flashbacks and resources that grant temporary narrative control (in an area defined by the resource spent) to the player that spends them?
Planning flashbacks and narrative control mechanics are good if you want to play a game about characters who come up with clever solutions to dangerous situations, and you want the game to reinforce that whatever solution you decided your character went with is a Clever Solution.

I'd say they'd be outright fatal if you want to play a game about players coming up with clever solutions, and the game is in the challenge of coming up with a solution to the scenario you are presented with, and you specifically want the reward of feeling clever when your plan turns out to work or the hilarity of watching your plan crash and burn if it doesn't work and feel like it'd be cheating to be able to do a planning flashback to take into account information you didn't actually have when you made the plan, and being able to take narrative control to say "Yeah, this works" would feel like short-circuiting the challenge.

Some people after Clever Solutions To Dangerous Situations mean the former, some mean the latter.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Neither "limited use flashbacks" nor "temporary narrative control of a specific area" imply "you get to just declare that you win".

E: I agree that stuff like Mage fits the bill, but Mage is a game built on giving yourself temporary narrative control in a specific area, and one of those areas lets you narrate flashbacks.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 30, 2020

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

DalaranJ posted:

How would one write a mechanical framework for "Clever Solution to Dangerous Situations"?

edit to summarize: I think you'd want the flexibility of a generic granular scale of risk/effectiveness that you could measure any approach against taking into account fictional positioning to quite a fine degree. BitD does a very good job of this so is worth looking at even if it doesn't tick all the boxes of crunchiness and finding loopholes you're after

Macdoo fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 30, 2020

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’ve done one campaign in BitD and I’d be up to play another, but man I hate the setting a whole lot. Something about just rubs me the wrong way

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I've literally never used the default setting and have always made up my own with the players. Or okay one time we just played in New Crobuzon.

I think it's basically just there to pad out the book and so people have something to play in if they don't feel like coming up with a setting.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm considering Spire as a heists rather than revolutionary focused game

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've literally never used the default setting and have always made up my own with the players. Or okay one time we just played in New Crobuzon.

I think it's basically just there to pad out the book and so people have something to play in if they don't feel like coming up with a setting.

It's there because the actual mechanics in BitD are very dry, and the game ends up feeling very unsatisfying if the entire table doesn't have a strong, shared sense of place and tone. You can accomplish the same thing with any setting as long as everyone is on the same page, but having a detailed setting in the book helps for anyone who hasn't seen and read and played the game's thematic touchstones.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's there because the actual mechanics in BitD are very dry, and the game ends up feeling very unsatisfying if the entire table doesn't have a strong, shared sense of place and tone. You can accomplish the same thing with any setting as long as everyone is on the same page, but having a detailed setting in the book helps for anyone who hasn't seen and read and played the game's thematic touchstones.

Sorry, I was being flip. I agree entirely we just always have a pretty strong session 0 unless we are very specifically going for a setting so I was joshing the idea of being married to the default setting. Unless I'm misremembering the book is pretty explicit in saying "Yeah here we gave you a setting if you want one but you should make up your own or change this until you're happy or whatever this is a placeholder".

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Neither "limited use flashbacks" nor "temporary narrative control of a specific area" imply "you get to just declare that you win".

E: I agree that stuff like Mage fits the bill, but Mage is a game built on giving yourself temporary narrative control in a specific area, and one of those areas lets you narrate flashbacks.
No, but they do imply "You get to declare that this wasn't ACTUALLY your plan and retcon a different plan instead", and "You get to revise the parameters of the scenario from a narrative perspective". Both of which aren't compatible to someone who wants to do the planning stage beforehand, using only the knowledge they have at that point, and resolve the scenario from an in-character perspective.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth to discover that 3e is still bad.

drrockso20 posted:

So the core book for Symbaroum is currently free in promotion for a new supplement that just came out, anyone want to tell me if Symbaroum is any good?
My takeaway from the F&F is that the setting offers genuine mystery in a way that few Greyhawk/FG heartbreakers manage. It even manages to make the elf/dwarf/goblin and different human peoples interesting again.

Mechanically, there are multiple fun magic paths and fighting styles. Some are better than others, but the main flaw is that if the players know how to build, PCs can become overpowered very quickly.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'd say a key requirement for a no backsies problem solving system is a robust casing and investigation mechanic.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Meinberg posted:

I’ve been wracking my head on this for a bit, and I think it’s Mouse Guard.

“Fight!” specifically, or the entire system together?

Thanks, everyone, for your answers. I read them all.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Not going to lie, The Leverage RPG was going to be my example of a game that gets close to covering that conceptual space. I wouldn't call it a perfect fit by any means but it would be far from the worst jumping off point.

I wish this were a better and more fleshed-out game, because its pitch is great and it does a fantastic job of capturing the feel of the show as a result. It just has a bunch of needlessly complex dice junk in it, and not a whole lot after you get through that part.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Absolutely agreed. A sample setting in a core rulebook helps me a lot in deciding to run that game (and was one of my biggest complaints with Strike!, for example.) One of D&D 4e's best decisions was putting a good starting setting right in the core rulebooks.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Splicer posted:

I'd say a key requirement for a no backsies problem solving system is a robust casing and investigation mechanic.

Yeah, pretty much. Perhaps also a task resolution system akin to PbtA's pass/pass-with-complication/fail, where the pass window is much broader and the pass-with-complication window is much narrower so long as you're taking actions accounted for in your planning, and the reverse is true once things go off-plan (so if your plan works perfectly and smoothly you get the "I love it when a plan comes together" satisfaction of things going off without a hitch, but once things go south and everyone starts improvising the situation becomes increasingly chaotic).

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:toot: Osprey is having an upto 70% off sale on a bunch of books, including wargaming manuals, until the end of Febuary. :toot:

Finding the deals does take a bit of searching the website but they are there : https://ospreypublishing.com/store/osprey-games/

I'm getting two fictional books on the Cthulhu Mythos vs armies in history.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Don't overlook that Osprey sale, their historical books can be fantastic references, often better than you'll find on a Wikipedia safari and easier to reference. I got a ridiculous amount of value of Japanese castles for an Exalted game, for instance, just by being able to throw new and detailed visual references at the players every time they had a kung fu battle on the battlements of a fortress - which, being Exalted, happened a lot.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not joking. It's a game about using a mechanically robust system of both pre-defined and custom spells to solve narrative problems. That kind of gameplay was rightly jettisoned from 3.5E -> 4E, but if you wanted to play a game that's all about that and divides player agency much more equitably between roles? That's it. Best of all, everyone gets to be a wizard!
Yeah, Mage: the Ascension (not awakening) is probably the closest to a game designed for Clever Solutions. Magic is physics, you can use Forces to electrocute people using the electricity damage rules, you can use Matter to turn bricks into mud and then back again, etc, and the rules are explicit that there are sometimes multiple combinations of spheres that do the exact same thing. If you wanted this to be the emphasis you'd probably want PCs to start with more magic and no paradox.

Warthur posted:

My feeling is that this is less a factor of game mechanics than it is of scenario design, so the best way to support it is to provide robust scenario design tools and also really strong guidance on adjudicating unexpected PC plans.

Early D&D largely pandered to this in its exploration stuff - all that avoid-the-monsters, disarm-the-traps, work-out-how-to-transport-the-loot stuff that OSR grogs like to talk about.

I would advocate not having a system of lots of narrow, discrete skills for such a system and more a setup where characters have broad areas they are understood to be generally competent in, because for this sort of game you want the challenge to be in thinking up the clever solution in the first place, and once you have an idea which caters to the party's resources and competencies implementing it shouldn't be the difficult part.
I think a key game design aspect would be making explicit that you can resolve challenges either by rolling a skill or magical tea party. You can roll perception or declare you're searching a particular wall for X and just succeed. If there's a trap you can roll to disarm the trap or you can set it off with the 11' pole that's on your character sheet. You can roll diplomacy or you can argue with your GM and they judge if you're persuasive. You can roll Knowledge to recognize a monster or you the player can recognize it and metagame. "Boss encounters" would always be beaten with called shots or environmental chicanery, like you stab the dragon in the stomach with a hot poker which causes it to explode or you bring the cavern down on their head.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Lemon-Lime posted:

I ran BitD as a newbie GM for a group of very reactive newbie players, and my experience was that the setting did at least as much heavy lifting as the mechanics did. Just having a big pile of plot hooks, characters to attach them to, and some questions guiding how to connect any two dots made it easy to find something for the players to do even when they didn't have ideas themselves.

There's plenty of stuff you can reasonably dislike about the setting (for one thing I still wish it had a stronger elevator pitch), but it does what it does very well. I'm a real big fan of the "grab a handful of agents and work out for yourself how they relate to each other" style of worldbuilding.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Awakening absolutely does that kind of puzzle solving as well, it just has a more coherent system of magic.

I'm not sure why you'd specify against it.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is absolutely true, especially in 2nd edition, where every spell has to be customized before being cast. It's perfect for that group of players who try to beat D&D encounters with a bag of holding and an immovable rod.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Octavo posted:

This is absolutely true, especially in 2nd edition, where every spell has to be customized before being cast. It's perfect for that group of players who try to beat D&D encounters with a bag of holding and an immovable rod.

In actually running it, it was a lot of fun to see players go from throwing as many dice at the spell as possible, to get as much damage as possible on a direct attack, to using elaborate curses, transmutations, and tricks to deal with specific conditions.

The system does limit the choices you have when you're rushed IC, so if the GM is willing to do a lot of the same brain math they can produce effects pretty quickly in action sequences, and then spend downtime constructing elaborate rituals to eke out the weird spells they want. One player created a permanent secondary personality for her PC out of said PC's Vice, in order to more effectively pretend to be a traitor to her organization and play the double agent.

It's a fun game.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Joe Slowboat posted:

In actually running it, it was a lot of fun to see players go from throwing as many dice at the spell as possible, to get as much damage as possible on a direct attack, to using elaborate curses, transmutations, and tricks to deal with specific conditions.

The system does limit the choices you have when you're rushed IC, so if the GM is willing to do a lot of the same brain math they can produce effects pretty quickly in action sequences, and then spend downtime constructing elaborate rituals to eke out the weird spells they want. One player created a permanent secondary personality for her PC out of said PC's Vice, in order to more effectively pretend to be a traitor to her organization and play the double agent.

It's a fun game.

That's really amazing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

Awakening absolutely does that kind of puzzle solving as well, it just has a more coherent system of magic.

I'm not sure why you'd specify against it.

Awakening actually does that much better so I'm guessing some variety of grog is the answer.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Xiahou Dun posted:

Awakening actually does that much better so I'm guessing some variety of grog is the answer.

Entropy was at it's strongest when you used coincidental magic to just happen to have prepped for something. There were even published rotes in the technocracy books that were based on that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Entropy was probably the worst sphere in Ascension. It's like they didn't know what to do with it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Coolness Averted posted:

Entropy was at it's strongest when you used coincidental magic to just happen to have prepped for something. There were even published rotes in the technocracy books that were based on that.

Awakening would do this with Fate or Time, presumably? I guess it doesn't give an explicit bonus to this particular trick, but it's definitely something the system supports well. Plus some weirder tricks, like redefining something that isn't the correct tool for the job as the correct tool (high-level Fate, if I remember correctly) and gives a significant bonus to somehow making it through the problem using that tool. Which seems like a great support for weird, impractical 'mundane' solutions.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I know people usually see it as a terrible terrible game decision but I thought having Save Point in Mage: The Awakening was amazing.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Halloween Jack posted:

Entropy was probably the worst sphere in Ascension. It's like they didn't know what to do with it.

It was absolutely the worst designed sphere yeah. IIRC the spheres were
● -sense and read the sphere
●● -influence the sphere
●●● create new instance of the sphere
●●●● alter the sphere 'by its rules'
●●●●● alter the sphere 'breaking its rules'
And for most that was the ranking in power and also you'd usually have to go vulgar to do really useful stuff.
Half of entropy was dumb 'death and decay' the other was luck and probability. Yeah using 1 dot of entropy to see ghosts was totally on par with sensing heat, life, or whatever. Using it to perfectly determine the probability of a given event not so much.
Using 2 dots to influence and the outcome of a event to something actually probable also was a pretty big deal, nearly game breaking if handled right. Meanwhile the second half of the tree was junk like 'do aggravated damage, repair broken stuff, or become immune to aging, oh yeah but all of this is incredibly vulgar magic"
Whereas unless you just kept winning the lottery forever, or always win no matter what, you'd almost never risk paradox from probability manipulation or observation, since it was almost always coincidental.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Half of entropy was dumb 'death and decay' the other was luck and probability. Yeah using 1 dot of entropy to see ghosts was totally on par with sensing heat, life, or whatever. Using it to perfectly determine the probability of a given event not so much.
Using 2 dots to influence and the outcome of a event to something actually probable also was a pretty big deal, nearly game breaking if handled right. Meanwhile the second half of the tree was junk like 'do aggravated damage, repair broken stuff, or become immune to aging, oh yeah but all of this is incredibly vulgar magic"
Whereas unless you just kept winning the lottery forever, or always win no matter what, you'd almost never risk paradox from probability manipulation or observation, since it was almost always coincidental.

Entropy is basically a Paradigm written up as a Sphere.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Coolness Averted posted:

It was absolutely the worst designed sphere yeah. IIRC the spheres were
● -sense and read the sphere
●● -influence the sphere
●●● create new instance of the sphere
●●●● alter the sphere 'by its rules'
●●●●● alter the sphere 'breaking its rules'
I'm going off of memory here, so as I recall, each level of Entropy beyond the first implied that you should use it to imitate other spheres, with Entropy 5 imitating Mind.

And then when you look at the Rotes in the sourcebooks, Entropy is just tossed in there as a requirement if the rote is related to luck or to spooky stuff. (I had always thought the point of combining Spheres was to achieve the same effect in different ways, not to gatekeep you from doing anything unless you have every applicable Sphere.) Like, the Hollow Ones sourcebook has a Rote that summons a kickass grim reaper spirit, and it requires Entropy 5 because.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm going off of memory here, so as I recall, each level of Entropy beyond the first implied that you should use it to imitate other spheres, with Entropy 5 imitating Mind.

And then when you look at the Rotes in the sourcebooks, Entropy is just tossed in there as a requirement if the rote is related to luck or to spooky stuff. (I had always thought the point of combining Spheres was to achieve the same effect in different ways, not to gatekeep you from doing anything unless you have every applicable Sphere.) Like, the Hollow Ones sourcebook has a Rote that summons a kickass grim reaper spirit, and it requires Entropy 5 because.

It really depended on the author of the book, and yeah some had no imagination and just did 'oh entropy is the weird psuedo sphere that just imitates others,' some went with 'it's luck so level 1 and 2 can do anything' and a few tried to respond to that with 'Uh wait that's not fair.. you need to tack entropy 1 or 2 onto level 4 or 5 of other spheres to do that!'
Although I'm only talking about 2nd edition 3rd might have changed things. I think vampire, hunter, and werewolf were the only core 3e books I had for oWoD.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So can anyone tell me if these are the Chessex dice filled with the magic pixie dust that collectors pay out the nose for? It's not a complete set, but I've had these forever.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Whatever happened to that Ask/Tell Chessex thread, anyway?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Whatever happened to that Ask/Tell Chessex thread, anyway?
The OP asked the mods to memory hole it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Are there any good games about hunting down and killing supernatural creatures, more specifically vampires? I got into an argument with a friend about vamps and now I’m feeling like reading about staking the pointy teethed bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I've been seeing a lot on my social media timeline about iHunt, which is a Fate-based monster hunting game. It sounds interesting, at least. Monster of the Week is a PBTA hack that does the Buffy style of vampire / random monster hunting thing pretty well from what I've seen.