Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chaitai posted:

Ah, I didn't realize they were that involved. I've never played any of them, was just thinking about how companies skirt around copyrights all the time.
Wc3 custom maps were the precursor to the flood of unity games that came in the early '10s. Back when everything on the internet was mostly free.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So I haven't had a chance to check it yet, but I have WarCraft III installed on a couple older computers, I haven't done any updating to them yet. Is the understanding that as soon as I try to run it the battle.net client will force it to update and the original will be gone?

If so that is loving bullshit considering when StarCraft Remastered came out Blizzard was very specific that anyone who didn't upgrade would still be able to play the game they have owned for the past 19 years

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

this is so spectacularly lovely on every single level. i still play warcraft 3 customs regularly with my friends, i had to take a break for a couple of months but i was looking forward to coming back at the end of the february and doing all our old favorites again but it looks like everything's hosed, and to top it off they hosed up single player too. one of the all time greats and they loving ruined it.

it would be nice if there were some sort of way for them to magically walk all of this back but even if there were, they wouldn't.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

yes, if you have a version that’s integrated with the modern bnet launcher (i forget whether this started in 1.28 or 1.29), the launcher will automatically nuke your classic install when it “updates”. if you have a pre-bnet2 version, you can just not upgrade and enjoy single player. i also have a 1.30 PTR version installed that works just fine offline

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

'minimum viable' tbh I don't know about either of those words here

More seriously, It's so pointless to finally make rules locking down all creative works on the platform as their own... over a decade too late when the odds that a new DoTA springs out of wc3 custom scene is basically zero and all it's going to piss off are die-hard fans who still play and develop custom maps.

The words “Minimum viable product” trigger me to high hell. Its an excuse for a half baked product.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Khorne posted:

The main issue is they use copyrighted art, audio, etc. Changing a few names doesn't fix that.

drat gonna miss that Goku yell when I level up

*at 1000% game volume* AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hy_C posted:

The words “Minimum viable product” trigger me to high hell. Its an excuse for a half baked product.

Yeah that was exactly what I said in the post he quoted lol. The term is fine but you shouldn't be releasing the MVP as the final product.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I saw Jim Sterling and YongYea had videos about this debacle up so it looks like it's making the rounds of YouTuber backlash. After a few days of seemingly positive hype, I saw that PC Gamer turned on it as well with an article decrying the Custom game situation.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I have never played or seen this Dragonball Z game people are talking about, I only recently watched Dragonball but man that sounds like a winning combination.

Oh well guess I can't even try it in the copy of Warcraft 3 I rightfully own, man this is such a bummer all round.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I have never played or seen this Dragonball Z game people are talking about, I only recently watched Dragonball but man that sounds like a winning combination.

Oh well guess I can't even try it in the copy of Warcraft 3 I rightfully own, man this is such a bummer all round.

Its not even a single dbz game, there were like 500 custom scripted games based on DBZ in starcraft and another 500 in warcraft 3

It was a popular topic at the time lol

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHo_D8LYhq8

Happy I never cared.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Tuned in to Grubby's stream of the campaign now to see he's playing Illidan's chapter, and for some reason it says Night Elf06 over the minimap? What? Why? The maps all have names since the original release, and if for whatever reason you couldn't be hosed naming each map properly/you couldn't make the titles fit/whatever...why wouldn't you just remove it? Why would you leave 'Night Elf06' in the game? It isn't even spaced correctly! It's such a tiny thing but I just don't understand...

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I remember one custom game where you could play through the whole LOTR trilogy on one map. Every player was a different character from the movies and you would eventually all be split up and do different parts of the movies on your own and stuff. It was real cool.

Also loved playing those Helm's Deep games too.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Haven't they gutted the gently caress out of their QA teams in recent years. That probably explains a lot of the shonkiness.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

Haven't they gutted the gently caress out of their QA teams in recent years. That probably explains a lot of the shonkiness.

Nah. If it was just some rare bugs then maybe it'd be lack of QA. But this poo poo is obvious and in-your-face with how half-assed it is.

They just didn't devote any resources to it and outsourced most of it.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I would not be surprised at all if we find out that the whole reason Reforged exists is because some suits were still mad about Dota and decided that the EULA had to change and releasing reforged to kill classic WC3 and Bnet 1.0 was the only way to get away with it legally. All the pieces come together when you realize how little work they put into it and how much of it they farmed out to a Malaysian company.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So if you don't buy Reforged can you... Actually play W3 anymore? At all?

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that was exactly what I said in the post he quoted lol. The term is fine but you shouldn't be releasing the MVP as the final product.

That’s the thing though, it’s not considered a “final” product. I’m sure they’ve written off that in the next following patches they will fix X Y Z. I see this poo poo on a daily basis and want to throw them all out of a window.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

stev posted:

in theory you can!

activision did axe a bunch of QA testers, so that's not doing W3R any favors, I'm sure. Also it seems pretty obvious that the suits had a budget in mind for this game, and once that budget ran out, welp! take what ya got, make sure it boots, and ship it!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

stev posted:

If you happen to have an old patch and never go online so it doesn't update, yes. But online is then forever disabled and you can only play single or LAN.

If you don't do that, you'll be force updated into Reforged, but you'll get to play it for free with the old graphics. Then you can "buy reforged" to unlock the HD graphics.

This is what they did with Starcraft remaster, but they didn't gently caress everything up at the same time.

E: Did warcraft 3 have a direct TCP/IP connect option?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Also it seems pretty obvious that the suits had a budget in mind for this game, and once that budget ran out, welp! take what ya got, make sure it boots, and ship it!

Which is weird because they seem to still be taking their time with Diablo 4 rather than making GBS threads out a pre-alpha build.

I'm sure they'll find an exciting new way to ruin it but Blizzard is weirdly inconsistent about how much time and care they put into their projects now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

stev posted:

Which is weird because they seem to still be taking their time with Diablo 4 rather than making GBS threads out a pre-alpha build.

I'm sure they'll find an exciting new way to ruin it but Blizzard is weirdly inconsistent about how much time and care they put into their projects now.

They only just started design work on Diablo 4. It was announced before they even had a spec document as a panic response to the Diablo Mobile plans going over like a wet fart.

But that said, yeah, Activision is probably using that as proof that there is demand for more Diablo, while assuming "RTS are dead now!", so they probably gave Blizz marching orders to put 95% of resources on D4 and just leave a skeleton crew + outsource the rest of War3.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

stev posted:

that's true. If W3R (and SC remastered and WoW classic) is any indication, my guess is B-A is going to stick with very low-overhead, high return, Blizzard projects from now on, so D4 might have already had its budget smushed, and will get released as a complete turd.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

that's true. If W3R (and SC remastered and WoW classic) is any indication, my guess is B-A is going to stick with very low-overhead, high return, Blizzard projects from now on, so D4 might have already had its budget smushed, and will get released as a complete turd.

If i had to guess, they will put meaningful resources into D4 if only because they have to justify their nation-state level of operating budget and they do actually have the resources in house to dump into it.

Zaphod42 posted:

They only just started design work on Diablo 4. It was announced before they even had a spec document as a panic response to the Diablo Mobile plans going over like a wet fart.

But that said, yeah, Activision is probably using that as proof that there is demand for more Diablo, while assuming "RTS are dead now!", so they probably gave Blizz marching orders to put 95% of resources on D4 and just leave a skeleton crew + outsource the rest of War3.

The proof of concept at blizzcon, notably, also had literally reskinned interface from D3, appeared to be the D3 engine with (legitimately) a bunch of upgrades, and all the druid assets were almost certainly from the cancelled druid expansion for D3 from a few years ago.

Basically, who knows what they will actually release. They certainly have the resources to make something genre defining, but I also wouldn't hold out for that. I'd probably side with the people still heavily involved in D2 and D3 who, from talking to blizz folks on the Diablo team, expect something decent that's a bit more complex than D3, but that has no where near the depth or complexity of POE.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 30, 2020

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I'd probably side with the people still heavily involved in D2 and D3 who, from talking to blizz folks on the Diablo team, expect something decent that's a bit more complex than D3, but that has no where near the depth or complexity of POE.

Which is not a bad thing. Feeling like you need a phd to understand the endgame of PoE really gets old fast... I do not have the extra brain power required to figure out the 800 layers of old seasonal mechanics to even approach attempting crafting high level gear in that game.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rhonne posted:

I remember one custom game where you could play through the whole LOTR trilogy on one map. Every player was a different character from the movies and you would eventually all be split up and do different parts of the movies on your own and stuff. It was real cool.

Also loved playing those Helm's Deep games too.

I watched a stream of that map where the Frodo/Sam players lost everyone the game literally inside of Mount Doom because Frodo put on the ring to cheese the needlessly difficult Gollem boss fight and for whatever reason it spawned two Witch Kings that nuked everyone. Good times.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I can't believe they killed OG War3 too. What the hell.

Chaitai posted:

So what's to stop all these copyright-infringing custom map makers from renaming the copyrighted characters to something just slightly different? Goku becomes Guko and things like that? Wouldn't that let them keep the maps in the game? Add a little disclaimer saying any relation to characters real or fictional is purely happenstance?

Or will Blizzard just see through it an ban them anyways and that's what people are worried about?

Because nobody wants to play as Guko, so what's the point?

uniball posted:

yes, if you have a version that’s integrated with the modern bnet launcher (i forget whether this started in 1.28 or 1.29), the launcher will automatically nuke your classic install when it “updates”. if you have a pre-bnet2 version, you can just not upgrade and enjoy single player. i also have a 1.30 PTR version installed that works just fine offline

I guess if you have a disk you can probably use that too?

It killed my old install, at any rate. No option not to.

It's also like 30 gigs now which is lol, so much for having it on my laptop too or anything.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's really loving impressive how outright bad this wound up being. My expectations were so low and yet they still managed to undershoot them by miles

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I tried starting classic War3.

"There was an error handling the request"

The play offline option was greyed out.

The game then crashed.

GOAT.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Now, I'm not as disastrously offended by Reforged as some people, as I am genuinely getting enjoyment out of it. However, I also enjoy jokes and memes.

To quote someone on a Discord server I'm on:

Behold, the release of Reforged summed up in a single screenshot:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you don't have to consistently remind everybody how you are not "disastrously offended" by the poo poo game and how much enjoyment you are getting out of the asset flip, you can just...post the funny joke.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Frustrated posted:

Which is not a bad thing. Feeling like you need a phd to understand the endgame of PoE really gets old fast... I do not have the extra brain power required to figure out the 800 layers of old seasonal mechanics to even approach attempting crafting high level gear in that game.

Yeah I didn't mean that as a bad thing. I do suspect it'll be waaaaay closer to d3 levels of depth than poe, but aside from the real dream situation of blizzard releasing like a generational classic ARPG game, I think most people would be happy with a well-made game that is as approachable as D3 but adds some real depth and replayability.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Yeah I didn't mean that as a bad thing. I do suspect it'll be waaaaay closer to d3 levels of depth than poe, but aside from the real dream situation of blizzard releasing like a generational classic ARPG game, I think most people would be happy with a well-made game that is as approachable as D3 but adds some real depth and replayability.
I mean, if they made a game at least as good as d3's adventure mode that'd be okay.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 31, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Zaphod42 posted:

E: Did warcraft 3 have a direct TCP/IP connect option?

Nope (which was actually fairly annoying at the time.)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So where is this overwhelming number of fans that managed to convince Blizzard to not go through all the extensive updates they promised, which are real and not made up to provide an excuse for a shrinking of scope due to a troubled development?

Totally a coincidence that they only revealed all of this at the 11th hour and buried in other news at BlizzCon!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 31, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am very excited for when Blizzard decides to “do better” or whatever that apology was about.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
OG War3 is now completely unplayable for me. A game I was given when I was about eight.

Asema posted:

you don't have to consistently remind everybody how you are not "disastrously offended" by the poo poo game and how much enjoyment you are getting out of the asset flip, you can just...post the funny joke.

This is the same dumbass who felt the need to tell everyone to gently caress off if they didn't believe the original campaign wasn't significantly better in reforged.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

It's really loving impressive how outright bad this wound up being. My expectations were so low and yet they still managed to undershoot them by miles

I'm cynical af about blizzard, but if you told me a week ago that they'd have hosed w3r so hard, they'd also gently caress the original wc3 in the process, even I wouldn't have believed you.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Pretty surprised on how lovely this looks (yes I preordered it like a moron).

Immediately on loading the game, the menus looked like they were running at around 5 FPS and felt laggy for some reason. Figured that maybe it defaulted to my integrated intel laptop card rather than my 2060... nope, just lovely menus.

Second, why does every model look like clash of clans or whatever mobile game is popular? Jeez I’d rather have the old graphics back.

Yeah I’ll probably play through the campaign since I already spent money on this, but after the terrific SC:Remastered I didn’t think this would look... ugly. Also, AOE 2 remastered is great in comparison, the graphics have a style that looks like the old game, but still looks modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cuntellectual posted:

This is the same dumbass who felt the need to tell everyone to gently caress off if they didn't believe the original campaign wasn't significantly better in reforged.

Actually, my "gently caress you" was to people claiming no interesting changes had been made to anything past the human campaign. At the time of the post, I had been playing the Fall of Silvermoon, which is one of the levels which received a more significant overhaul, and frankly I greatly appreciate what was done to it.

I have opinions of people who, for whatever reason, dislike the changes made to the campaign, but those do not involve me telling said people to gently caress off, people are allowed to dislike things.

Please don't put words in my mouth.