Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

haveblue posted:

How much should I tip the wall after hitting it?

15%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
How many motorcycles are chained to the wall?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

schmug posted:

so inertia is no longer a part of physics?

Nope, just regular old ertia.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I still don't understand why we can't just make all of our roads into solar treadmills

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why don't they just build the whole car out of wall

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Guardian shared video of a burn over in action. Thankfully, the firetruck that was caught in it had safety devices for such an emergency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRDM3ir3l5M

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

hopefully none if it's up to code

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

terrenblade posted:

How many motorcycles are chained to the wall?
Not enough of them.

If you are a physics robot, coming to a stop hitting a wall and coming to a stop hitting an equal and opposite car will look very similar.

But a car and everything inside it is a soft body so physics robot needs to go back to graduate school and learn soft body physics to understand why delta speed is useful to categorize a crash and expected carnage from it.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

haveblue posted:

At least this much.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

zedprime posted:

Not enough of them.

If you are a physics robot, coming to a stop hitting a wall and coming to a stop hitting an equal and opposite car will look very similar.

But a car and everything inside it is a soft body so physics robot needs to go back to graduate school and learn soft body physics to understand why delta speed is useful to categorize a crash and expected carnage from it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw it. Speed delta is exponentially more important when you're the smaller car as well, as large mass-differential crashes usually throw the smaller car back some ways. The obvious example is train vs anything, but even a small sedan or a light truck hitting a fully loaded box truck can obliterate the smaller car with physics, which wouldn't happen if it hit a wall even at the full delta speed.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Burt Sexual posted:

Ah what’s that again?

Did you forget your Quantum Electrodynamics again, Burt?

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Seriously though, a careful application of the impulse-momentum theorem basically shows a huge difference between a soft object hitting a stationary wall and a soft object hitting another soft object or a hard object hitting a stationary wall. It's not even second-quarter lower-division Physics.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
40+40mph = 40mph+wall because both cars have crumple zones. The speed is higher but you've got twice as much crumplezone to deal with it.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
just lower the car?

or raise the wall maybe...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

RandomPauI posted:

The Guardian shared video of a burn over in action. Thankfully, the firetruck that was caught in it had safety devices for such an emergency.

Every single person in this thread should read Young Men And Fire.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
MythBusters tested this one, and the car crumpled up the same amount in the head on test as it did with the wall.

That was with two identical cars, not sure what happens if there's a mismatch in size

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's worse than that, it's physics Jim

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

terrenblade posted:

The OSHA here is vertical filming.

This is literally the perfect example of a situation where vertical video is vastly better for the shot. A wide shot would unnecessarily cut off most of the scene.

Imagine still complaining about vertical video in 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

"WE WIN MOTHERFUCKAAAZXXZXZZZZZZZZXXXXXXXXXADVCARVTI5NEUNT6EW5""!!!!!

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

There's no such thing as combined speed. Unless one car keeps going unimpeded, a head on collision with both cars going 40mph is the same as hitting a wall at 40mph.

Please don't troll like this. Not everyone knows you're joking

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

There's no such thing as combined speed. Unless one car keeps going unimpeded, a head on collision with both cars going 40mph is the same as hitting a wall at 40mph.

But what if the cars were on treadmills, like planes trying to take off?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Hope many kg of sandbags in the back of the treadmill?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I made a visual to help everyone out

code:
  [car]<HONK        [car]   |WALL|
   0   0            0    0  |WALL|
=

code:
  [car]<HONK        [car]   
   0   0            0    0  

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

BMan posted:

This is the case for cars of the same size of course, if you ram a semi then it pretty much is a wall coming at you at 40mph

This is obviously impossible!!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Potrzebie posted:

Nope, just regular old ertia.

ertia and inertia mean the same thing, English amirite

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RandomPauI posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRDM3ir3l5M

I'm actually really curious what the oxygen levels are after that flame front runs over you. Does anyone know if they stick to bottles for a bit or something?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cojawfee posted:

No, not really. For one thing, different cars have different masses. And two cars each traveling at 40mph towards each other will each have their own mass and acceleration to bring to the party.

Think of it this way - if you're going 40mph and someone rear ends you doing 41mph, that person is not experiencing the same force as if they hit a brick wall at 40mph, are they?

Fake edit: you appear to be trolling but it's not obvious so I'm going to still reply to you like you're an idiot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yes there are differences in how much force each side will see, but you don't add the speeds together.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

I can make fart noises with my hands!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
imagine two cars on the edge of a cliff

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
If two cars going nearly the speed of light collide, the debris violates causality.

schmug
May 20, 2007

fishing with the fam posted:

If two cars going nearly the speed of light collide, the debris violates causality.

In liquid or a vacuum? this is very important.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

drgitlin posted:

No, not really. For one thing, different cars have different masses. And two cars each traveling at 40mph towards each other will each have their own mass and acceleration to bring to the party.

Think of it this way - if you're going 40mph and someone rear ends you doing 41mph, that person is not experiencing the same force as if they hit a brick wall at 40mph, are they?

If the two cars are equal mass and are going at 40mph then he is perfectly correct that the force on each car in a head-on crash is the same as if one of the cars hits a large immovable object at at 40mph.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

schmug posted:

In liquid or a vacuum? this is very important.

Space is a wet/dry vac, you need to be prepared for both.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

Phanatic posted:

If the two cars are equal mass and are going at 40mph then he is perfectly correct that the force on each car in a head-on crash is the same as if one of the cars hits a large immovable object at at 40mph.

What if the groceries are in the front seat in one car and in the back seat in the other?

schmug
May 20, 2007

Sex Skeleton posted:

What if the groceries are in the front seat in one car and in the back seat in the other?

Where are the groceries from?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Sex Skeleton posted:

That depends. Are there helium balloons in the back seat?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OSHA IV: 400 Cars of equal mass and as many posts about them

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/eshyISQ.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

:wow: