Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's wild that 6000 people on that cruise ship are gonna get ill and we will watch it unfold in real time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
When and where do new numbers for number of infected, dead, recovered, come out?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chrs posted:

The amount of c* I saw walking around town today coughing their lungs up whilst making no attempt whatsoever to cover their mouths doesn’t bode well for the UK when this thing eventually gets here

Don’t do this outside of Aus or Brit threads ty

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

QuarkJets posted:

That's what I read as well at one point but all of the official guidance says generally cold symptoms

Are you sure that isn't for coronaviruses in general?

The CDC hasn't changed their guidance on the symptoms not being upper respiratory

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

That is a problem with this new virus not having a short catchy name.

If you google "coronavirus symptoms" you will likely get common symptoms for the general coronavirus family, not this specific novel virus which everyone is just referring to as "coronavirus"

The WHO is recommending "2019-nCoV acute respiratory disease" which is definitely going to catch on any second

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1222945426606907393

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Enfys posted:

This coronavirus doesn't really have upper respiratory symptoms - it attacks the lungs. If you have cold symptoms like sinus infection/runny nose, etc you probably just have a boring old cold.

If you have fever and shortness of breath from a deep chesty lung infection, then maybe you have it.

So far I just have a slight fever and a cough :stare:

obviously I don't think I have it but it would be hilarious if the first largescale outbreak in America was caused by my incredibly stupid coworker.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just call it "Captain Tripps Trumps"

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Backweb posted:

My friend in Hong Kong finally responded. She got herself all worked up and used the wrong word. Turns out she meant 90,000 infected, not dead. But yeah, even that source is unverified. Sorry about the wrong info.

Between the nonstop protests, the virus spreading in her city, possibly having been exposed to the virus herself (from confirmed-infected Wuhan people staying in her building), and knowing how overwhelmed China's hospitals are... I suppose I can't blame her.

Tell your friend not to worry about it, because the actual number of infected is probably several times higher than that 90,000 figure she'd put out there.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Nvm

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

pretty sure the only people who still go on cruises are all like 60+ so i guess we're gonna find out if china is covering up the mortality rate pretty soon

on the plus side that would still probably not be as bad as that cruise where the ship almost tipped over and all the sewage leaked out and everyone was trapped in a boat full of piss and turds until they got rescued

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I've been loving these charts from the reddit (ugh) r/china_flu (ugh ugh) subreddit.

https://ncov.r6.no/

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

When and where do new numbers for number of infected, dead, recovered, come out?

Somebody upthread a couple days ago linked this

edit: also I just noticed this might not actually answer your question, sorry. Gonna leave it so new people to the thread can see it though.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Death to all boomers. Hey maybe this virus will do just that!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I've been loving these charts from the reddit (ugh) r/china_flu (ugh ugh) subreddit.

https://ncov.r6.no/

whoa great site, thanks for sharing! I've been looking for a good source of data and the graphs are a nice bonus.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Reminds of my father telling me he was at a business event when the news broke on 9/11 , and several people started getting calls from their stock broker telling them what they needed to do to make a profit out of it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

gary oldmans diary posted:

we should all be eating bats to build our resistance

What about bat sex? Like rubbing one out with a bat wrapped around your dong?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCaa0Xp60Po

Livestream of the WHO statement, but it's currently just a lot of congratulating the Chinese government for being great...

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Charliegrs posted:

Death to all boomers. Hey maybe this virus will do just that!

I didnt know the commerce secretary posted on the somethingawful forums

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

WHO just announced the declaration of the global health emergency (while repeating that China is doing great multiple times lol)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Aaaaand it's a global public health emergency

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

CHINA IS GREAT GUYS, OK

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Wasn't there a lot of controversy with the WHO and China during the 2014 Ebola outbreak? Like I remember controversy but I don't remember why.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

WHO wants it to be crystal clear that the declaration is "not because of what is happening in China but because of what is happening in other countries"

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
god i can't wait

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY OF INTERNATIONAL CONCERN.

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1222968733829865477?s=20

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

vandalism posted:

god i can't wait

For what

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

So what does this actually mean.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The virus made it to India. I have a bad feeling about that.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Bape Culture posted:

it means nothing about china, ok? NOTHING

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Bape Culture posted:

It's sorta like the disease hall of fame.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Enfys posted:

WHO just announced the declaration of the global health emergency (while repeating that China is doing great multiple times lol)

Lmao called it

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I bet there are people who think this virus only affects chinese people and if you're not chinese the virus will skip you.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Charliegrs posted:

The virus made it to India. I have a bad feeling about that.

Do you have a link ?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1222968727869775872?s=19

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1222968005644234753?s=19

seems uhhhhhhh

Bad

edit: they also said if you just stay home, logged in, and :justpost: you'll be ok

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

WHO refusing to recommend any travel advisories but saying individual countries should do that

Lot of tip-toeing around tbh

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

the WHO makes recommendations and states are legally obligated to follow them

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please don't put in the paper that china made the super death virus

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSyQvrb-caQ

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Mozi posted:

the WHO makes recommendations and states are legally obligated to follow them

WHO recommendations are not enforceable, they are just recommendations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Mozi posted:

the WHO makes recommendations and states are legally obligated encouraged to follow them

CNBC posted:

Declaring an emergency doesn’t give the WHO extra funding or power, but it allows Tedros to make recommendations, including whether countries should impose travel or trade bans. It can also mobilize public health resources and galvanize public and political action, said Lawrence Gostin, a professor and faculty director of the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University.