Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

fool of sound posted:

Even among the core League members, Toga is the only person with a distinctly bad guy quirk. Even Shigaraki could spend his time decaying rubble after disasters and stuff if he felt like it.

Toga could make for a great stunt double in the film industry. She could be a body double for world leaders in danger. She could be an exceptional agent in I assume whatever exists as a counter-terrorism national agency. There is nothing inherently bad guy about her quirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Drinking blood is pretty weird.

But so is being a bipedal centipede. Bubble Girl's original design by the fan who made her had her body being partially translucent.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

To be fair using successful UA teachers or pro heroes with villainous-ish quirks is not great since they implicitly made it and we have no idea how much struggle there was get to this point

Arguably it's more about attitude then his power but never forget Endeavour settled more incidents then All Might - he is #2 because he wasn't as popular as All Might

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It strikes me some of the quirks, such as Toga’s are really esoteric and circumstance-based. How do you even find out you have them?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The main quirk of the series can effortlessly level cities, the quirks are how you use em baybee

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Toga could make for a great stunt double in the film industry. She could be a body double for world leaders in danger. She could be an exceptional agent in I assume whatever exists as a counter-terrorism national agency. There is nothing inherently bad guy about her quirk.

Her quirk requires her to hurt people to get an effect, is my point.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

fool of sound posted:

Her quirk requires her to hurt people to get an effect, is my point.

It requires blood, but it doesn't require *hurting* them - just that it's generally easier to make someone bleed with a knife then asking their permission.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The_Doctor posted:

It strikes me some of the quirks, such as Toga’s are really esoteric and circumstance-based. How do you even find out you have them?

She ate a really really rare steak and then turned into a cow.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

fool of sound posted:

Even among the core League members, Toga is the only person with a distinctly bad guy quirk. Even Shigaraki could spend his time decaying rubble after disasters and stuff if he felt like it.

Compress' quirk seems like it would be insanely useful for heroics. Just being able to effortlessly capture rampaging villains and remove debre from an accident. I'm sure there's some kind of limit to his power, but I'm not sure if we've ever seen it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

quirk factors probably have some intuitive compulsion to make them trigger

stain's is the especially odd one, and must have made for a very awkward parent-teacher conference

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rhonne posted:

Compress' quirk seems like it would be insanely useful for heroics. Just being able to effortlessly capture rampaging villains and remove debre from an accident. I'm sure there's some kind of limit to his power, but I'm not sure if we've ever seen it.

Does not seem like it, though as shown in raid. It can be dangerous. As he used it to rip off Overhaul's arm.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Don't forget just before that he used his power in conjunction with Dabi's fire to murder a dude.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Oxxidation posted:

quirk factors probably have some intuitive compulsion to make them trigger

stain's is the especially odd one, and must have made for a very awkward parent-teacher conference

The humorous answer to this is "Stain bit his tongue, swallowed the blood and saliva, and then paralyzed himself".

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder how long it took him to figure out that different blood types were effected differently.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Fabricated posted:

But so is being a bipedal centipede.

TWO hundred legs????

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's good Grape Boy got his weird rear end grape hair power instead of invisibility, given his proclivities.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
There are a great many powers mineta shouldn’t have

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Remember Toga can also copy people's quirks when she's transformed into them, and she can hold that transformation for up to a day with a cup of blood. She's basically got a more involved version of the power-copier from B class's quirk with a variable duration and physical transformation.

So she could team up with someone like Recovery Girl and be a cute nurse!

Oh god does she do that later in the manga so she can smooch Deku? Please don't spoil if she does.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shyrka posted:

Remember Toga can also copy people's quirks when she's transformed into them,

That's only in One's Justice. She has not shown that ability in the series and we have no reason to believe she can do it, that seems like it was just a change in the game to not make her Quirk completely useless in a fighting game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's good Grape Boy got his weird rear end grape hair power instead of invisibility, given his proclivities.

Considering his weird rear end grape hair power totally immobilizes people it's good he's not a villain

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hate Mineta’s outfit so much. Why is he in a giant diaper?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I hate Mineta’s outfit so much. Why is he in a giant diaper?

It's a bowl, he's supposed to be a bowl of grapes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The_Doctor posted:

I hate Mineta so much

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Augus posted:

Things I said

Also true.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Mineta is the worst

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Everything about Mineta is disgusting and the worst from his design to his powers to his voice. If he had anything resembling charisma, people might like him. As it is, he's universally recognized as a despicable little troll which in turn means nobody sympathizes with or likes his perviness.

I approve of the pervert character being as unlikable as possible so we can all enjoy their suffering.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
every ladder needs a bottom rung

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Kamanari appears to be his only classmate who even likes the guy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

fool of sound posted:

Kamanari appears to be his only classmate who even likes the guy.

And Kaminari likes everyone.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Reddit loves Mineta. This is not a statement of support.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The dub still comes out every Saturday right even though they're a week behind the sub now for whatever reason?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

The dub still comes out every Saturday right even though they're a week behind the sub now for whatever reason?

Yeah.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mineta is a grape underdog story

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

NikkolasKing posted:

They actually announced another delay this week so they'll now be two weeks behind.

It's frustrating, but the idea of a simildub is crazy enough, and it's still a really good dub so I'll usually go back and watch it each week.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NikkolasKing posted:

I approve of the pervert character being as unlikable as possible so we can all enjoy their suffering.

I would rather just not have the character at all.

Incidentally, Mineta is a lot of things. But one thing that he is not is intentionally unlikable.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

Incidentally, Mineta is a lot of things. But one thing that he is not is intentionally unlikable.

Horikoshi has also said that Mineta is basically his author insert hasn't he?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Skypie posted:

Horikoshi has also said that Mineta is basically his author insert hasn't he?

I guess in the sense that Horikoshi pretty uses him as a horny catalyst maybe

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Comparing him to most of the rest of the mangaka who have shared the magazine with him he's not very horny

He definitely has his tastes, which appears to be older women with big thighs and muscles (I approve)

But there really isn't that much overt fan service

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

You really think that design was intended to get him over with the fans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Mineta’s at his most tolerable in the movie where he does something legitimately useful, (and heroic?), gets complimented on it by the female lead of the movie and instead of going into his usual horn dog spiel he gushes because he was just so happy to get positive approval