Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chidi's should be chili :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

u brexit ukip it posted:

Chidi's should be chili :colbert:

These are very obviously the actors since Tahani's would never in a million years be "farts" but Jameela is loving rad like that

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth I'm an Episcopalian, so I do believe in an afterlife. To me, I think part of it has always been "heaven" or its equivalent would come with some kind of raised consciousness, you'd be much wiser than you are now and so it wouldn't be just about filling all your smallest desires until there's nothing left to do. Like maybe you could for a while, no point not enjoying the cocktail shrimp dispenser, but ideas of Heaven can be interpreted as some kind of transcendent state of being, and stuff about streets of gold and whatever are just images. Analogies.

But again, the whole point of the show has never really been about theology, it's more about philosophy and human nature. (And I'd hate for it to come down on some explicit "The very idea of an afterlife is stupid, take that theists" note.) The Good Place's metaphysics clearly derive some of their structure from the Christian idea that there's a Heaven and Hell (though even this has a lot of after-the-fact theology on it, Jesus doesn't talk a lot about the afterlife), but of course they don't include ideas like salvation-through-faith or even the existence of an authoritative God. Schur isn't critiquing a specific religious idea about the universe or morality, the show handwaves that in the first episode with "Well, all the religions got a little bit right and most of it wrong, also there's this guy named Doug."

So like I don't think the end of the show is setting up the ideal system for the afterlife. It's gonna be about our ongoing moral/ethical obligations. Even the "fixing the Good Place" bit can be read as the Gang getting a new moral problem to solve and finding an ethical solution (giving people the choice of whether they want eternity or not.)

Again at least that's what I hope.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I wanted it to be explicitly against capitalism and it feels like it's dropped that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Taear posted:

I wanted it to be explicitly against capitalism and it feels like it's dropped that.

It never picked it up in the first place. It wasn't capitalism that was loving up people and stopping them getting in to the good place, it was the increasing interconnectedness of society. In a society where you can reasonably expect your actions to affect or interact with someone on the other side of the world, even if only by degrees of contact, then every action you take affects them regardless of political, economic, religious or philosophical systems.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Despite most cast members making the talk show circuit this week, all clips shown were from prior episodes. And this is the official episode summary:

Vagueposting until the bitter end :allears:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

For those of you who can watch it live on NBC, there's going to be a live interview of the cast after the episode :)

(This is Mike Schur's Twitter account:)
https://twitter.com/kentremendous/status/1222925377682792448?s=21

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Neutral Janet strikes again!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lutha Mahtin posted:

For those of you who can watch it live on NBC, there's going to be a live interview of the cast after the episode :)

That's going to be on Hulu next day too right?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
They're all going to go through the last door tonight and it is going to loving wreck me.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

silvergoose posted:

That's going to be on Hulu next day too right?

I don't know if the interview will be on Hulu. I would guess that it will show up somewhere for people who can't watch it live, though.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'M NOT READY

pwn
May 27, 2004

Timings for tonight’s broadcast

Thought people watching live might find this handy for knowing how long the breaks will be. Also note that the show ends at 67 minutes, not 53. Assuming that the live post show starts immediately after the sixth break, the running time of the finale, without commercials, is 47:58.

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 31, 2020

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Thanks for this! My cable says there's a new SVU on at 9, so i set that up to record too. I'm glad my wife is out and about tonight cuz crying at a sitcom is something I've never done that I can recall at least

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Derrick pushes Jason through the door in an attempt to get Janet back.

Roll credits

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I just hope this isn't one of those highly anticipated series finales that just bombs. But I have faith.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/1223026857890721793

pwn
May 27, 2004

And away we go...

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Here we go....

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yay, Professor May.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The pictures on the wall. :3:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

OMG JEFF

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DONKEY DOUG

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Wait, Donkey Doug is dead?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Michael just understanding Shawn now is great.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh Dip

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Donkey Doug is not immortal, to everyone's surprise, especially Donkey Doug's

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Well it is over 2000 Bearimies later.

fake edit: I love that everyone's showing up again

real edit: oh no

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Oh poo poo oh god oh poo poo oh god.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy goddamn hell, they're really doing it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DOUG FORCETT GOT IN :cry:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh god I'm tearing up already.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regy Rusty posted:

DOUG FORCETT GOT IN :cry:

Kind of wish he was Michael McKean

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pillboi!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Are ghosts racist?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gardner Minshew, at the buzzer.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Regy Rusty posted:

Are ghosts racist?
Ethically speaking, I believe all ghosts deserve their vengeance. Except if they're racist.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Regy Rusty posted:

Are ghosts racist?

Yes.

Yes they are.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Jason is still going to be sitting there when the rest take their turns, isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

howe_sam posted:

Gardner Minshew, at the buzzer.

I wonder if this got reshot from Foles.