Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, if you hover over it it will say things like "2 days ahead of schedule" or "12 hours behind schedule" and if you're behind schedule more than once when you end a stage, out you go.

Quite frankly, I don't see how it's possible to do it with the Engineers without going deep into awful territory. They increase safety at the cost of more strike risk, and strike risk just shuts you down for too long. They also can't help much with motivation, which is the biggest issue overall, without raising strike risk again, so you're screwed either way.

For all of the "Unions will give you bad suggestions!!!!!" warnings, there's actually very little lost in saying "no, we're not doing that" when compared to the motivation boosts their speeches give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Beat the main story. That was.. pretty intense at the end. My reactor was constantly about to max overdrive and blow up so I kept cycling it, which would lead to the entire city freezing over and hospitals being completely and utterly overwhelmed. drat. That was a really solid game.

Which scenarios should i play next? Are there ones better than others? I guess the prequel expansion is not on console yet?

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Beat the main story. That was.. pretty intense at the end. My reactor was constantly about to max overdrive and blow up so I kept cycling it, which would lead to the entire city freezing over and hospitals being completely and utterly overwhelmed. drat. That was a really solid game.

Which scenarios should i play next? Are there ones better than others? I guess the prequel expansion is not on console yet?

Both Ark and Refugee scenario are interesting. In the Arks, you have two keep 3-4 seed banks alive and heated, with nearly no manpower. With the refugees, housing is a problem has hundreds of people will arrive even in the first week.

I've finished Last Autumn. I went full communism and nearly lost everyone getting the generator running, but it is up with no flaws, and has all upgrades completed.

I started Endless, and the cold doesn't truly come in until day 50 or so. It took about 40 days to finish the generator, but I have a problem with toxic gases that I can't actually resolve now :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

Honestly all of the scenarios are cool and good. Winterhome is probably the most different and interesting, after A New Home.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I wish I could re-experience my first time playing the campaign. The vague sense of dread as time passes, then spotting the storm, watching it gradually close in as I frantically stockpile coal and food, recalling my scouts and then when the storm finally hits, listening to the roar and howl of the wind as I cling on and watch my supplies dwindle was just :love:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I just got the evacuation center in Winterhome and I don't understand what I'm supposed to do with it. According to the tutorial I'm supposed to send people and resources there, but my only option is sending engineers. I tried sending a batch of engineers hoping that would open up more options but no such luck.

Didn't notice the mission :downs:

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 28, 2020

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

PiCroft posted:

I wish I could re-experience my first time playing the campaign. The vague sense of dread as time passes, then spotting the storm, watching it gradually close in as I frantically stockpile coal and food, recalling my scouts and then when the storm finally hits, listening to the roar and howl of the wind as I cling on and watch my supplies dwindle was just :love:

You mean hearing this track while you you are sweating, trying to add as much hunter's hangars as possible but you're out of steel because you haven't upgraded any of your mills because you don't have time to research anything but heat because OH MY GOD ITS DROPPING TWO LEVELS AGAIN TOMORROW?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOxwYf4EGMo

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

*mashes Triage button*

33 people died...

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Finished TLA on my 3rd try. I don't know if everybody's playthrough ends up looking the same due to the last week of the game, but I was basically a few hours away from everybody starving to death before the rescue ship came. Had 40 people out of 400 left at the very last second. So, pretty epic overall, I didn't realize they'd cut out food supplies otherwise I would have prepped for it better.

Either way, the game feels really nicely balanced to create the feeling that I'm always making horrible choices just to be able to make it through the day. At no point do I feel comfortable. Can't even imagine what it's like on the highest difficulty, gently caress that.

A+, would love to be tormented by this game again.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Horsebanger posted:

*mashes Triage button*

33 people died...

Is that the best you can do? If I'd pushed that button on my last playthrough I'd have gotten almost a hundred dead :smug:

Admittedly that was because I was just rushing through A New Home to grab a couple of achievements, when I could've instead taken my sweet time and gotten more resources, especially steam cores. At the end I was tearing down houses to build care homes because of how many gravely ill peeps I had, and funnily enough they were actually warmer thanks to having heaters+insulation+heat zones.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Try doing new home without turning on the generator. (except that one time it makes you for the mission) :D

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Wish the new scenario would just end when you finished the optional upgrades. I got the last one a few hours after the sea froze and I have more than enough coal and food to last so there's nothing for me to do except fast forward until day 45 I guess. Wouldn't be quite so bad if it wasn't for the game undoing the fast forward every morning.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Haha it still does the "BUT WAS IT WORTH IT???" epilogue. Hey look man the workers wanted me to institute a reign of terror and who am I to deny the will of the working class?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Some self declared red guards took it upon themselves to shoot 10 engineers, and apparently this made the entire reactor project moot because we became the monster. WAS IT WORTH IT??! Yes, and it would have been even if the reactor never got finished. gently caress those engineers

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, the “was it worth it” poo poo is always the worst. Like. Yeah. It was. I beat the game. Oh no, the unions have too much power!!!

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Yeah I get it. Shooting people without a trial is not really a good thing in general. But then I played siding with the engineers, and already a lot more than ten workers have been killed in strike breaking alone.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I a meta way it is the creators asking you the player, “was your purchase worth it? You won! We sure hope so.” It’s very nostalgic of 90’s era Commodore 64 games.

Jokes on you fucko I got this game on gamepass.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

But yeah, I realize that the developers are siding with the labourers pretty heavily in the DLC. Worker militias or literal slave labour camps as the penultimate laws? Yeah.

e: tbh, I'd say it's actually a weak point of the Last Autumn. The original law books both provide a nice slide into insanity from beginning with the basic need for hope and security.

The labour laws pretty much gives you the decision of going hardcore Victorian slave industry, or just saying gently caress off with that and eventually shooting the bastards. And since siding with the unions seems mechanically better, it's not even a choice between being pragmatic or humane.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 29, 2020

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Nosfereefer posted:

But yeah, I realize that the developers are siding with the labourers pretty heavily in the DLC. Worker militias or literal slave labour camps as the penultimate laws? Yeah.

I guess I missed something here. My impression was that the "side with the workers" path seemed to be a lot more cynical and violent, whereas the engineers path was more about more process and optimization. I thought "Huh, they sure make a dictatorship of the proletariat not look too appealing", maybe because of Poland's experience with USSR-exported Marxism-Leninism? I felt like they were pretty biased towards intelligentsia in some of the choices offered, but I also haven't seen the end of the engineering tree, maybe it's as brutal as the state terror and executions path?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

I guess I missed something here. My impression was that the "side with the workers" path seemed to be a lot more cynical and violent, whereas the engineers path was more about more process and optimization. I thought "Huh, they sure make a dictatorship of the proletariat not look too appealing", maybe because of Poland's experience with USSR-exported Marxism-Leninism? I felt like they were pretty biased towards intelligentsia in some of the choices offered, but I also haven't seen the end of the engineering tree, maybe it's as brutal as the state terror and executions path?

You're putting up watchtowers with armed guards to supervise the workers right off the bat. Then you institutionalize strike breaking, import prison labourers, and finally arrest any remaining non-prisoner workers for technicalities. It's just grim from the start.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nosfereefer posted:

You're putting up watchtowers with armed guards to supervise the workers right off the bat. Then you institutionalize strike breaking, import prison labourers, and finally arrest any remaining non-prisoner workers for technicalities. It's just grim from the start.

It sounds like standard capitalism

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
You don't even have to go to the end of the Labor path. When I bet a new autumn only 2 engineers and 6 workers died and those were at the very end during the freeze that you can't actually counteract. I finished the reactor 4 days early and had only 2hour left on the final optimization when the frost came. I wonder if I could have ended the scenario there...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There are bright lines to not pass. Faith keepers are the huge one. Without faith keepers, you can stay in the moral right where everyone just prays in the boring way without burning sinners alive.

I haven't done the Autumn thing yet but I imagine it's the same. At a point, stop signing laws!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

jokes posted:

There are bright lines to not pass. Faith keepers are the huge one. Without faith keepers, you can stay in the moral right where everyone just prays in the boring way without burning sinners alive.

I haven't done the Autumn thing yet but I imagine it's the same. At a point, stop signing laws!

Yeah, I remember going Order the first time I played because it largely seemed better. I forget exactly where I drew the line but I was like "oh uh, no...I don't think we'll be doing that. Everything is working, people are working hard, they feel good, and we have all the stuff we need so let's not have this."

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, I remember going Order the first time I played because it largely seemed better. I forget exactly where I drew the line but I was like "oh uh, no...I don't think we'll be doing that. Everything is working, people are working hard, they feel good, and we have all the stuff we need so let's not have this."

Fear will keep the local people in line. Fear of this new propaganda station that i click to pulp 10 wood into hope.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I dunno, having only one person in the entire city decide what the truth is just seems so much more efficient?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Blind Rasputin posted:

I dunno, having only one person in the entire city decide what the truth is just seems so much more efficient?

This is the future liberals want.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

First run done, thought everything was going fine until it suddenly... wasn’t. Also i think i became a fascist, guess i shouldn’t have went with order. Or does faith get similarly twisted? :ohdear:

I think my biggest error was building robots instead of steam powered buildings, when with some later events manpower kind of stops being a problem.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Jesus Last Autumn continually kicks my rear end. I am bad at this game.

The devs to a superb job of keeping you in that state of ever-uncomfortable. Juuuuust when you think you've got a handle, something shits up the works.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Avalerion posted:

First run done, thought everything was going fine until it suddenly... wasn’t. Also i think i became a fascist, guess i shouldn’t have went with order. Or does faith get similarly twisted? :ohdear:

I think my biggest error was building robots instead of steam powered buildings, when with some later events manpower kind of stops being a problem.

They both become twisted if you go far enough, but instead of becoming fascists you slide into creating a "flay the non-believers" theocracy that culminates with you declaring yourself god-king

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Trivia posted:

Jesus Last Autumn continually kicks my rear end. I am bad at this game.

The devs to a superb job of keeping you in that state of ever-uncomfortable. Juuuuust when you think you've got a handle, something shits up the works.

Helpful tip if you want it:

Steal Winterhome's supplies

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

jokes posted:

LA isn't actually the same because in it people will demand you go further down the law tree, at least that's what happens when siding with labor.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Yeah I've been stealing steam cores and other supplies. It's the shell that fucks me up. Also I'm an idiot and didn't realize that the labour council can boost motivation. That's a game changer no doubt.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I can deal with strikes, but I've found I always want the workplace to be rated as "safe" and take every safety feature investment option, even if the cost seems ruinous. The impact of the (scripted?) accidents is just too high elsewise.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That coordination add-on to the dual shifts law feels a lot like extra productivity in exchange for a relatively negligible discontent bump because you can run stuff on the normal-shift staffing level around the clock but get more than 50% efficiency out of it so you're getting more output per day with the same staffing.

If you're needing to spread workers extra thin you can pull them from stuff like the cooking tent, and you get more resources generated by a worker on the dock than is able to be gathered by a worker in the pile/gathering add-on so you end up generating a surplus and running out of storage which means if you need a boost to your stockpiles you can pull workers off the dock and put them on gathering duty. Even if you draw the docks down to like 4 workers you can run the gathering at full headcount and take a surprisingly long time to burn through the surplus.

I'd say about the only things outside the generator-related stuff that are really important to keep fully staffed are the medical tent/infirmary and the workshop, but even then those are engineers and not workers.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 30, 2020

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

"Revocation of privileges" is kind of weird, in that it implies sending the engineers into the pit as well, but in practice it just means being able to quickly man extra sick tents in emergencies. You'll probably not have a surplus of idle engineers unless you specifically tried to.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nosfereefer posted:

"Revocation of privileges" is kind of weird, in that it implies sending the engineers into the pit as well, but in practice it just means being able to quickly man extra sick tents in emergencies. You'll probably not have a surplus of idle engineers unless you specifically tried to.

Yeah, you rarely need to ship in extra engineers which is good because their overgrown ego takes up twice the space of a humble worker and you pretty much never stop needing more of those

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

They both become twisted if you go far enough, but instead of becoming fascists you slide into creating a "flay the non-believers" theocracy that culminates with you declaring yourself god-king

Ice Pope :colbert:

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I can deal with strikes, but I've found I always want the workplace to be rated as "safe" and take every safety feature investment option, even if the cost seems ruinous. The impact of the (scripted?) accidents is just too high elsewise.

I'm quite sure all the scripted accidents can be reduced to "a bunch of people are badly wounded but the generator is fine and discontent doesn't increase" if you take the necessary precautions. It does require some extra resources, but it's only a small amount, and I'd say it's quicker and less expensive than keeping everything completely safe at all times, even if you do need to order a few prosthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Does anything ever come from that? Even if just the ending text?