Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

thrawn527 posted:

I was wondering about that replicator. Why would it be programmed to make lovely food? Can't it make...anything?

Why are there working stiffs on Mars complaining about the lovely conditions, talking like contemporary dock workers in the heart of the Federation fleet shipyards?

(I know, I know - they're building the evacuation fleet)

Stuff like that feels just a wee bit uncreative, like they have to fall back on cliche either so the audience isn't too alienated or because they don't actually see the incongruity of having these working class type characters in this setting. I kept waiting for someone to get their pay docked for not clocking in on time.

I'm not saying this makes the show bad. I'm approaching it just from the perspective of a writer that gets to imagine the future and it'd be like seeing a teacher, frustrated because their school's underfunded and class sizes keep getting bigger.

I know the old shows wisely avoided showing much of how Earth works because it's a bit of a minefield, but if you're going to do it then at least show me some far out new future society, not slapping a star trek skin on stock modern day professions.

Tighclops posted:

Honestly I can't remember the theme tune except that the flute from the inner light is in it slightly

Really? I've had that cello line stuck in my head all week.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Picard Ep 2

thrawn527 posted:

This episode started with some super clunky exposition about the Romulans super double secret police that is the kind of story telling I kind of hate. But I think it picked up with the Borg cube stuff. So they're removing the fixtures from dead Borg, but they still stay dead? I mean, nice to be respectful and all, but why? To further study the Borg? I definitely want to learn more about what's going on there.

I don't think they're supposed to be dead? I think the "former" drones are hibernating. When they remove the eye thing it's very bloody and the soundtrack has a distinct heartbeat that speeds up at one point. Also, they refer to it as reclamation. I took the whole thing as they are, very slowly, de-borging whoever is on the cube.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Delthalaz posted:

Yeah who’s that lady from the end? Are we supposed to remember her?

No, she's in the prequel comic but is a new character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was shocked that a character actor with as many roles as David Paymer has that that was his first ST appearance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

I was shocked that a character actor with as many roles as David Paymer has that that was his first ST appearance.

But didn't it feel like he was an old familiar face? He's just that kind of guy.

Hey guys, I love Star Trek.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I'm enjoying Picard but the cursing in this episode seems really tonally off. Like all of it, not just "sheer loving hubris". It felt more out of place than the Klingon tits in Discovery.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

zoux posted:

Something about him is so familiar to me, but I can't place it. Looking at his imdb the only role that really stands out was that Heart and Soul film that would play every year on tv.

What's he best known for?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't like that admiral being so rude to Jean Luc Picard.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Something about him is so familiar to me, but I can't place it. Looking at his imdb the only role that really stands out was that Heart and Soul film that would play every year on tv.

He's a first-ballot "That Guy" hall of famer, I don't know if there's a single role he's most known for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lizard Combatant posted:

He's one of the Teeny Wangers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8wfXDNIuJs

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Handsome Wife posted:

It felt more out of place than the Klingon tits in Discovery.

The what now?

You know what, never mind.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

thrawn527 posted:

The what now?

You know what, never mind.

They were flashed on screen really quick in one scene.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I thought the swearing in Picard was basically fine, it's not like Discovery where the entire episode grinds to a halt just so they can say that something is "loving cool".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was the payoff after years of being teased with Lursa and B'etor's Klingon Kleavage.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Nullsmack posted:

They were flashed on screen really quick in one scene.

Hah. That's, uh, downplaying that scene a little.

Fun argument in the last thread about implication vs portrayal of certain topics when someone got real huffy that another poster mentioned the show really tipped over into not being family friendly at that point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't have a problem with it on principle, but growing up with ST it's weird hearing the Major Swears on them

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean, a lot of what was implied or toed-the-line by previous Trek was just outright shown in Discovery. Klingon tits? Go for it. Cursing? Yup. Gruesome surgical procedures? Shown in explicit detail. Injuries the TNG makeup people could only dream of? Done.

Questionable writing aside, Disco dips into things that existed in Trek before, but were previously glossed over because it was prime-time family TV.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

HD DAD posted:

I mean, a lot of what was implied or toed-the-line by previous Trek was just outright shown in Discovery. Klingon tits? Go for it. Cursing? Yup. Gruesome surgical procedures? Shown in explicit detail. Injuries the TNG makeup people could only dream of? Done.

Questionable writing aside, Disco dips into things that existed in Trek before, but were previously glossed over because it was prime-time family TV.

Yeah to be clear, creating a show for an older audience is fine. But I understand that poster's regret that it wasn't a show they could share with their young kids.

Although in hindsight I'd consider it a mercy.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The cursing in these new shows always feels a little forced. Like a little kid waiting until Mom's out of earshot to drop an F bomb.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lester Shy posted:

The cursing in these new shows always feels a little forced. Like a little kid waiting until Mom's out of earshot to drop an F bomb.

See that doesn't bother me when it's used for impact, it's dropping things like "dude" in that get under my skin a little. Not much, but a little.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lizard Combatant posted:

See that doesn't bother me when it's used for impact, it's dropping things like "dude" in that get under my skin a little. Not much, but a little.

Honestly i think her getting real mad about it is worse than the cursing, it just feels so out of place for someone in her position. I know she's gotta tell Picard no, but as I said before, there's better ways to get there. She's a professional starfleet officer, not a mob boss.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bad Admirals are extremely Star Trek. Like the only good Admiral who isn't a promoted main character is William Ross. Otherwise they're either an obstacle to doing the correct thing or straight up corrupt or the host of an alien worm bent on infiltrating and controlling the UFP from the inside. Folks, they're Badmirals.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The cursing is dumb and terrible.

We should want Trek to inspire and be for everyone not be full of cringey cussing that makes me think twice about showing it to my mom or my niece

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Another good episode. I kind of wish they hadn't given away that Riker and Troi appear because I was impatient for Picard to get to their place, guess that's next episode.

Also about swearing, I thought it worked well. It's more shocking than it was in Discovery, since this show puts you in TNG mode to an extent where people never swear, and also coming from the admiral, but that puts you in Picard's shoes. Starfleet's refusal to give him a ship, and dismissal of his claims is very shocking to him.

But I also liked Tilly and Stamets swearing in Discovery, so each to their own.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

zoux posted:

Bad Admirals are extremely Star Trek. Like the only good Admiral who isn't a promoted main character is William Ross. Otherwise they're either an obstacle to doing the correct thing or straight up corrupt or the host of an alien worm bent on infiltrating and controlling the UFP from the inside

Bad Admirals are fine, but as I said, the way she delivered it did not really make sense for what we know of Starfleet or admirals. She could've been an absolute dick to him, but she would've been a courteous dick, maybe implying he has dementia, etc.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Stuff like that feels just a wee bit uncreative, like they have to fall back on cliche either so the audience isn't too alienated or because they don't actually see the incongruity of having these working class type characters in this setting. I kept waiting for someone to get their pay docked for not clocking in on time.

I'm not saying this makes the show bad. I'm approaching it just from the perspective of a writer that gets to imagine the future and it'd be like seeing a teacher, frustrated because their school's underfunded and class sizes keep getting bigger.

I know the old shows wisely avoided showing much of how Earth works because it's a bit of a minefield, but if you're going to do it then at least show me some far out new future society, not slapping a star trek skin on stock modern day professions.

Yeah, I feel like they could've been a bit more imaginative about showing it off. I always assumed things like Chateau Picard were there just for fun, and that the shipyards would be more for people who enjoy making model ships or whatever, more that vibe. I don't think it's that important to the story, but a few little things could really help the show out, I think.

I also think it's a weak writing thing for Picard to mention his old crew, then reject them because he doesn't want to send them to their deaths potentially- when he's planning to grab some young and hip crewmen to potentially send to their deaths. I know they don't want to include TNG characters, but I think it makes more sense if Worf and Geordi just have other things to be doing, and maybe help him in other ways, possibly referring some young and hip crewmen to him or whatever. Or for him not to mention them at all, so we can think that they're maybe dead or something.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 30, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Panzeh posted:

Honestly i think her getting real mad about it is worse than the cursing, it just feels so out of place for someone in her position. I know she's gotta tell Picard no, but as I said before, there's better ways to get there. She's a professional starfleet officer, not a mob boss.

Eh, in that moment it's a very effective bit of characterisation for showing how much she hates him right now. Possibly out of nascent guilt that's she's gonna be on the wrong side of history?

But as I posted earlier, what didn't quite work for me story wise was:

Lizard Combatant posted:

Something that felt a little odd was Admiral loving Hubris being completely closed to Picard's claim. I mean, he was just involved in a mysterious explosion on the roof of one of their buildings the day before (for which he does not appear to have been questioned by the police about) and I struggle to believe someone so incredulous would hold that rank unless they're also in on the plot (which it seems they are not?).

Probably didn't help that Picard brought none of the evidence he'd just acquired with him for some reason, cause you'd think she'd be very interested in both Romulan operations on Earth and the development of synths despite their acrimonious past.

I get why they did it from the show's marketability perspective, they wanted Picard on a ship with rag tag cool mercenaries not boring star trek crew members, so having him be shot down by Starfleet was necessary to that plot. It just didn't feel very organic or in character.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
-I hate you, I hated you for 20 years and the whole galaxy knows it because I hate you so much I despised you publicly on galactic network yesterday. Also told everyone you have no balls and you hosed up and are murderers of 900 million people. Also Im the (ex)best so gimme a ship and a crew cause I know better.
-Oh just gently caress you.

It does sound reasonable. It was a shock indeed but it is reasonable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

I'll always remember watching Generations as a kid and Data saying "Oh poo poo!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every goddamn problem in the TNG movies is caused by Data's loving emotion chip. For seven loving years we've fallen in love with this android trying to be human, so for the film, lets just totally get rid of that aspect of the character

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'll always remember watching Generations as a kid and Data saying "Oh poo poo!"

That was the best.

Oh man, I have a weird theory but I'm exhausted and cant articulate it properly right now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Is Dorne getting a cameo in this at all?

I remember a few years back at least he was really trying to stir up grassroots fan support for a Worf series. They should let him glue on the rubber appliances again, for a few scenes, as a treat.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I'm really hanging out for some speaking parts from aliens that aren't ears or spots. I wanna see what modern prosthetics can do for TNG era races.

I get they're probably still worried about what to do with kilngons, but give me a cardassian or something.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'm really hanging out for some speaking parts from aliens that aren't ears or spots. I wanna see what modern prosthetics can do for TNG era races.

I get they're probably still worried about what to do with kilngons, but give me a cardassian or something.

IIRC there was a Cardassian in a Disco promo shot, and they looked largely the same.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

HD DAD posted:

IIRC there was a Cardassian in a Disco promo shot, and they looked largely the same.

There's a trailer for that? I must have missed it.

I meant more the actual application more so than any redesign. I get really into new special effects materials and techniques so I'd also love any behind the scenes stuff if you know of any?

e: lol, just watched that trailer. They're really going for it, aren't they?

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 30, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is Dorne getting a cameo in this at all?

I remember a few years back at least he was really trying to stir up grassroots fan support for a Worf series. They should let him glue on the rubber appliances again, for a few scenes, as a treat.

I thought it was confirmed that he was, at least I've seen mention from someone in production that when Worf appears he won't look like a disco Klingon

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

That was awesome, because the loving Enterprise was about to crash into a planet. If there were ever a time for anybody on TNG to drop an "Oh poo poo!" it was right then and there, and for it to be Data was hilarious.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Worf will not be appearing in Picard this season. Riker, Data, and Troi are the only TNG main cast showing up. That comment was referring to a possible future Worf appearance, saying he’d look like TNG Worf and not have the dramatic Disco look.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

There's a trailer for that? I must have missed it.

I meant more the actual application more so than any redesign. I get really into new special effects materials and techniques so I'd also love any behind the scenes stuff if you know of any?

Yeah there's a disco season 3 trailer with a brief shot of a mixed group of aliens including a cardassian and whatever species Morn is.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Worf will not be appearing in Picard this season. Riker, Data, and Troi are the only TNG main cast showing up. That comment was referring to a possible future Worf appearance, saying he’d look like TNG Worf and not have the dramatic Disco look.

It would be funny if every single series had differaent Klingons. Lower Decks should make them inscrutably alien.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Panzeh posted:

She didn't need to put on a professional public persona, she knew Picard. It was personal. The day before Picard had all but accused the Federation of willful genocide by neglect, when (from the admiral's position), he should have known that it wasn't xenophobia, but the need to placate member states that caused the neglect. It may have been a bureaucratic issue, but it was a threat to the Federation, and a threat to the continued well being of all the species that depend on the Federation. The admiral feels Picard should understand this and is furious that he doesn't, and is going on record to make their decision look worse and her job harder. And then he's acting all buddy-buddy asking for a ship, and conceding that he should "just" be a captain. She had no reason to hold back. It was a painful scene, and we're not meant to agree with her, but we can see where she's coming from.

(For the record, lest I be accused of agreeing with the admiral just because I understand her perspective, she's still obviously wrong- you help the god drat refugees who are dying, and then deal with the political fallout, even if it's severe. You don't just give up and sit back as people die.)

Lizard Combatant posted:

Something that felt a little odd was Admiral loving Hubris being completely closed to Picard's claim. I mean, he was just involved in a mysterious explosion on the roof of one of their buildings the day before (for which he does not appear to have been questioned by the police about) and I struggle to believe someone so incredulous would hold that rank unless they're also in on the plot (which it seems they are not?).
Except the next time we see the admiral she's following up on that claim. She's being nice to the person she's talking to- "Oh, you know, it's probably nothing [you probably haven't failed horribly at your job], but if you would look into it. Just in case." It was a completely different tone, but she appeared to be taking it seriously.

She just accidentally asked the ringleader of the plot to look into it so that is why it's all down to Picard's rag-tag individual ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Brawnfire posted:

It would be funny if every single series had differaent Klingons. Lower Decks should make them inscrutably alien.

Lower Decks should just make them look like the crab-headed proto-Worf from Genesis.