Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

wow, woolie repeating all sorts of wildly outdated and borderline racist myths on the podcast this week huh

"that doesn't sound crazy" says woolie as he says something crazy

It definitely feels like there's an innocuous side to like, "your formative language leading towards different ways of thinking"? Now "That's why they're generally better at math" is where it got a little uncomfortable.

At least, in the face of Pat "we should only have one language" I was taking Woolies thing as a bit of a wholesome "different languages means diversity of thoughts, ideas and perspectives"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Linguistic relativity and determinism are very weird concepts and people have argued for and against those theories in earnest for the longest time, although the pro arguments can get a bit too deterministic. I think it's bullshit and a language just reflects a population's experience with something.

Pat's take of "we should only have one language" is incredibly dumb tho, because that's impossible. Languages vary in time and space, even nowadays. People will adapt a language to their experiences and their local necessities. That's been established in the 20th century even.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Oxyclean posted:

It definitely feels like there's an innocuous side to like, "your formative language leading towards different ways of thinking"? Now "That's why they're generally better at math" is where it got a little uncomfortable.

At least, in the face of Pat "we should only have one language" I was taking Woolies thing as a bit of a wholesome "different languages means diversity of thoughts, ideas and perspectives"

I don't think he's malicious or anything but he's the kind of guy that repeats stuff he's heard people claim without thinking too hard about it. Sometimes it leads to stuff like him claiming the bison was overhunted by the natives instead of the attempted genocide-by-starvation that actually happened.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I always suspected Pat would turn into a MGS villain at some point, I just didn't expect it to be Skull Face.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't think he's malicious or anything but he's the kind of guy that repeats stuff he's heard people claim without thinking too hard about it. Sometimes it leads to stuff like him claiming the bison was overhunted by the natives instead of the attempted genocide-by-starvation that actually happened.

Oh yeah, I didn't think anyone was suggesting Woolie was secretly bad, I'm just sort of sharing my personal mindset on how i can see that particular thing as not seeming very insidious at first glance / why he made didn't think twice about it?

Did he say natives? Ive certain heard the "Bison were overhunted" but I don't know if it's Oregon trail influence but I though the like "popular history" thing was that they were overhunted by the European settlers. I have vague memories of that being a thing I learned in school, and I suspect Woolie is coming from a similar space?

The genocide-by-starvation is not something I've heard before (or have forgotten) though we were definitely taught about the chicken pox blankets stuff.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 30, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
chicken pox blankets lol

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't think anyone was suggesting Woolie was secretly bad, I'm just sort of sharing my personal mindset on how i can see that particular thing as not seeming very insidious at first glance / why he made didn't think twice about it?

Did he say natives? Ive certain heard the "Bison were overhunted" but I don't know if it's Oregon trail influence but I though the like "popular history" thing was that they were overhunted by the European settlers. I have vague memories of that being a thing I learned in school, and I suspect Woolie is coming from a similar space?

The genocide-by-starvation is not something I've heard before (or have forgotten) though we were definitely taught about the chicken pox blankets stuff.

There is a very famous 19th century photo of a bunch of Lilly white hunters standing in front of a two story mountain of bison skulls that makes it abundantly clear who was ACTUALLY over hunting.

While it’s true that certain tribes engaged in... questionable hunting practices, the idea that native Americans as a whole were responsible for the near extinction of any given species feeds into the misconception that they were a single homogenous culture of nomadic hunter gatherers, which cannot be further from the truth.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Overlord K posted:

I always suspected Pat would turn into a MGS villain at some point, I just didn't expect it to be Skull Face.

Such a lust for red bull, whooooooooooooooooooo!

Also yeah genocide by starvation was a big thing, America even put it on our money

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
The chat literally called out woolie's comment about the linguistics stuff and he said he was just repeating what he read/heard from a linguistic expert and backed down later on in the podcast.

Pat's inability to understand enjoyment derived from creation is super loving insane. He said he thinks it comes from someone telling him when he was little to just get a better thing someone else made instead of trying to make your own or something. Probably a bastardization of "don't reinvent the wheel" but instead it hosed up a ginger short man.

Similarly my grandma worked with a woman who had been told at a young age to "count your steps" which I guess is a saying I'm not familiar with but I get the meaning. However she took it literally and didn't question it until it somehow came up in conversation that she knew how many steps it took to get anywhere and she thought everyone obsessively counted their steps.

Kids don't understand metaphors and it sometimes turns into mental illness I guess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, remember that up until a year or two ago, he thought you should support the corporation because his experience with people at Groceries hosed him up.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Someone needs to explain it to Pat as "people create new things because deep down, they believe they can do better than what came before".

Why write your own D&D campaign instead of using a pre-made scenario? Because the DM believes, consciously or not, that they can do better. I think he'd understand that.

I'm firmly on team "Pat is pretending to have half his brain goblins just to be contrary" though

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Deified Data posted:

I'm firmly on team "Pat is pretending to have half his brain goblins just to be contrary" though

That would easily explain how Matt and Liam got tired of him at least.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
There is a moment in every 3rd or 4th CSB where the real exasperation will start to creep into Woolie's demeanor and Pat will enter "oops I am pushing away a friend again" mode and immediately start walking back whatever bullshit he was on. Why can't he identify these moments 10-15 minutes sooner

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If mental illness was that easily solved, we would've distributed it decades ago

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Deified Data posted:

There is a moment in every 3rd or 4th CSB where the real exasperation will start to creep into Woolie's demeanor and Pat will enter "oops I am pushing away a friend again" mode and immediately start walking back whatever bullshit he was on. Why can't he identify these moments 10-15 minutes sooner

if he could he wouldn't be Pat

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

RottenK posted:

if he could he wouldn't be Pat
He would transform into Pat alter, thinner, snarkier, and a big anime fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5N_Sc-0qXk

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Grouchio posted:

He would transform into Pat alter, thinner, snarkier, and a big anime fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5N_Sc-0qXk

according to pat's knowledge of Fate, it would also mean that you'll have to feed him cake, even after he no longer wants to eat any more cake

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Tae posted:

I mean, remember that up until a year or two ago, he thought you should support the corporation because his experience with people at Groceries hosed him up.

I thought his perspective was that everyone is trying to gently caress the other party over as hard as possible cause he dealt with lovely customers and also the grocery store was lovely to said customer, so he thought being lovely was the norm, so he was more anti-corporation as a consumer. Or was this another thing?

Deified Data posted:

I don't buy that but I don't think he's really trying all that hard, or maybe at all, to be better either. I don't know a lot about OCD of this nature, but based on what he's said I think I had similar issues as a kid, the difference being that at some point I started being spiteful of the mind goblins and defiant toward them instead of trolling people on twitter as an outlet like Pat does now.

It's worth noting there's two parts of this, Pat's mind goblins, and him being a contrarian troll, the two aren't mutually exclusive but probably aren't helping each other. Even without the OCD he'd probably be grating.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Oxyclean posted:

He specifically said that the natives hunting by running bison off cliffs was "too effective". This was the reality. A lot of this stuff isn't taught in Canadian classrooms, at least if my own education is representative

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

He specifically said that the natives hunting by running bison off cliffs was "too effective". This was the reality. A lot of this stuff isn't taught in Canadian classrooms, at least if my own education is representative

when someone said "mountain of skulls" i thought they were being figurative or exaggerating, jesus

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Holy gently caress, that is genuinely unsettling

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep, we've always been bastards

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Look at them putting their boots up on the skulls so loving proud. Good job running a food supply to near extinction.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Flubby posted:

Look at them putting their boots up on the skulls so loving proud. Good job running a food supply to near extinction.

19th century photograph man: Yes! It was!

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

If Pat is exaggerating his brain goblins to troll then he’s doing a masterful job of it because his description of that time he played D&D is some supremely That Guy poo poo

Like the DM was also an rear end in a top hat because something like that is easily fixable behind the scenes, but woof

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Yeah, pat veers wildly from being delightful and being intolerable.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Scrap Dragon posted:

If Pat is exaggerating his brain goblins to troll then he’s doing a masterful job of it because his description of that time he played D&D is some supremely That Guy poo poo

Like the DM was also an rear end in a top hat because something like that is easily fixable behind the scenes, but woof

I went digging for this and found it in a twitch chat where Pat broke for a minute:

https://clips.twitch.tv/TamePeacefulWallabyDoggo

Pat wasn't feeling D&D, so his character wanders off, kills a story critical NPC, and he doesn't show up to the next session. Oof.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO7DIBma5JM

poo poo gets real this episode.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Whoof. Blurring the kayfabe line a bit dangerously.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is this Experimental or an Act of War?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

This is going to end in one of them murdering the other.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, now this is starting to get heated. I gotta ask, what brought this on to begin with? Like just watch it at your own pace, it's just a show, it's not like you're trying to tunnel through a mountain by hand.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, now this is starting to get heated. I gotta ask, what brought this on to begin with? Like just watch it at your own pace, it's just a show, it's not like you're trying to tunnel through a mountain by hand.

SEW literally created his youtube channel to get Woolie and Pat to watch HxH. Pat has been converted, but Woolie still resists. And the only way to make him watch it is the 1 weekend a year they're both in the same place for a con.

It's also just a bit. :ssh:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
This week’s podcast does a lot to reinforce that the parallel reality where Woolie is a cult leader is not terribly far removed from our own.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am fairly certain the Native Ancestors are responsible for the extinction of Mammoths and Giant Sloths.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The sloths had it coming

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Clearly we need 'Wha Happun' Lawbreakers' now.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
"Cliffy B" Wha Happun, more like.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuBxgEdyNpo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
A true man of culture, they chose the best knuckles rap. (Pumpkin Hill is nice, but it doesn't beat Unknown from ME)