Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

Lizardman lizardman lizardman lizardman -

drat it, it's happening again!

Well, you know what they say:

lizardman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

lizardman

Et tu, Chokes? :mad:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

lizardman

Apros of nothing, but where is your avatar from and why do they kind of look like Frisk from undertale?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

NewMars posted:

Apros of nothing, but where is your avatar from and why do they kind of look like Frisk from undertale?

I posted the source earlier in October to distract the thread when I was having a bad week. Long story short: it's Monoe from Yume Nikki. Not surprisingly, Yume Nikki is one of the inspirations behind Undertale, so that's why they feel similar.

I want to emphasize that Yume Nikki is not a happy game. At all. But, in this particular case, it's been filtered through this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMUEFZXkmDA

So, yeah. That's a thing that just happened.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lizardman posted:

Et tu, Chokes? :mad:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

I want to emphasize that Yume Nikki is not a happy game. At all. But, in this particular case, it's been filtered through this:

I was not familiar with Yume Nikki but was familiar with the, ah, filter, and now many things are explained.

Just know that I've been hearing "Seeeeeeeecret" in that voice for this whole thread.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

So, yeah. That's a thing that just happened.

Well that was certainly a... thing. Can... can we go back to the borderline functional, semi-compitent, quasi-heroes who try to conveniently ignore the sickly sweet smell of rotting corpses and that the overall skintone of the city has gone several shades deadergrayer?

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Randalor posted:

Well that was certainly a... thing. Can... can we go back to the borderline functional, semi-compitent, quasi-heroes who try to conveniently ignore the sickly sweet smell of rotting corpses and that the overall skintone of the city has gone several shades deadergrayer?

No, we can't. Apparently there's an entire Youtube channel of such nonsense to plow through first: https://www.youtube.com/user/gobou0san/videos

The artist goes by "gobou" (no idea if that's his real name or not). I don't know what drugs he's on but I've got to admit the dude's got talent.

EDIT: For some reason I really like this Crypt of the Necrodancer-inspired one (right-click and put it on loop): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-L9L7q4EU

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 24, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Randalor posted:

sure but we were already talking about yume nikki

DGM_2 posted:

No, we can't. Apparently there's an entire Youtube channel of such nonsense to plow through first: https://www.youtube.com/user/gobou0san/videos

The artist goes by "gobou" (no idea if that's his real name or not). I don't know what drugs he's on but I've got to admit the dude's got talent.

EDIT: For some reason I really like this Crypt of the Necrodancer-inspired one (right-click and put it on loop): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-L9L7q4EU

All of Gobou's yume nikki stuff is fantastic. It brings a lot of warmth and joy to the characters which absolutely does not exist in a game about the dreams of a girl who had Bad Things happen to her and now knifes everyone she meets in them.

e: and then throws herself off a balcony at the end :stonk:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 24, 2020

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
My 10th grade roommate played PoR on his Mac until late into the night.

I can still hear the clunky movement sound effects, and the horrible screeches of kobolds dying in my nightmares.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

The best dying sounds are definitely in Treasures of the Savage Frontier

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jason Sextro posted:

The best dying sounds are definitely in Treasures of the Savage Frontier

*pfffffft!*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiDz69EqlFk&t=20s

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AltaBrown posted:

My 10th grade roommate played PoR on his Mac until late into the night.

I can still hear the clunky movement sound effects, and the horrible screeches of kobolds dying in my nightmares.

HWAAAAAAAAAA

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Chokes McGee posted:

HWAAAAAAAAAA

goddammit

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Hey Chokes, does your game have music? My collection has what claims to be the soundtrack for the Amiga version, but I don't seem to recall any music from my extremely brief attempts at playing that version.

Also has a much more robust soundtrack from the PC-98 version, which makes me smile imagining Japanese kids getting into American CRPGs at the same time American kids were picking up Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Truthkeeper posted:

Hey Chokes, does your game have music? My collection has what claims to be the soundtrack for the Amiga version, but I don't seem to recall any music from my extremely brief attempts at playing that version.

Also has a much more robust soundtrack from the PC-98 version, which makes me smile imagining Japanese kids getting into American CRPGs at the same time American kids were picking up Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

I mean, you're not missing much. The major music is during camp and at the title screen. And, while the camp music is pretty rockin' chiptunes, I'm not on the screen long enough for me to notice or care.

I'll see if I can get the camp theme up next update.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I never thought about the music, I originally played these on an 8088 with no sound card

I remember the PC speaker effects being- well 'good' isn't the word so much as 'not horrible' and that's all you could expect really

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Peanut Butler posted:

I never thought about the music, I originally played these on an 8088 with no sound card

I remember the PC speaker effects being- well 'good' isn't the word so much as 'not horrible' and that's all you could expect really

The PC version we're familiar with didn't have music. The PC-98 was an 80s-90s 16 bit Japanese computer that had a pretty decent library of games, including a surprising number of ports, including a version of Pool of Radiance that looked and sounded like this. Oddly, the sound effects are actually worse. We weren't exactly missing out.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

Oddly, the sound effects are actually worse. We weren't exactly missing out.

I could see the music getting old fast as well. They might have done better to just have a short bit of music at the start of an area or battle to set the mood and then shut up.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Truthkeeper posted:

The PC version we're familiar with didn't have music. The PC-98 was an 80s-90s 16 bit Japanese computer that had a pretty decent library of games, including a surprising number of ports, including a version of Pool of Radiance that looked and sounded like this. Oddly, the sound effects are actually worse. We weren't exactly missing out.

Oh, I see they took some music from the NES/Famicom version. For the sake of comparison: https://youtu.be/O8own2gNwZk

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Oh, I see they took some music from the NES/Famicom version. For the sake of comparison: https://youtu.be/O8own2gNwZk

Yeah, as far as I can tell they have the same soundtrack, though I think the PC98 predates the NES release by a couple years, though I can't find a date to confirm that. Both ports were done by the same company, FCI, who also ported a bunch of other western RPGs to the NES and SNES, including the Ultima series.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Here's an example of the Amiga version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h53jEGLDHEI

It really can't be stressed enough how MOD files are the superior chiptune.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like how the dragon on the boxart in that video isn't so much using his breath weapon as he is shooting a fire laser beam from his mouth.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I like how the dragon on the boxart in that video isn't so much using his breath weapon as he is shooting a fire laser beam from his mouth.

That particular variety of dragon's breath weapon is almost literally a fire laser beam.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Truthkeeper posted:

That particular variety of dragon's breath weapon is almost literally a fire laser beam.
Oh, right, Brass (IIRC) dragons do that. I tend to forget about them.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Sup thread! Party has officially entered endgame after a few stumbles here and there. Nothing unreasonable, those were some pretty ridiculous fights. Looks like we're going to be able to clear PoR.

Update should be coming this weekend, including the moment you've all been waiting for. Get hype! Or don't! Whichever!

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 30, 2020

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh man! I can't wait for the sudden but inevitable betrayal of the city by Sternn and co. when the villain bribes them with 100 platinum pieces and a wagon full of barrels of the finest ales.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Randalor posted:

Oh man! I can't wait for the sudden but inevitable betrayal of the city by Sternn and co. when the villain bribes them with 100 platinum pieces and a wagon full of barrels of the finest ales.

Or five bucks and a cup of coffee. Whichever.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Randalor posted:

I can't wait for the sudden but inevitable betrayal of the city by Sternn and co.

Hey, we already left them to get eaten by zombies! What more do you want from me?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
A kickback from the zombies? Wait, undead aren’t usually known for giving kickbacks. Nor are most evil overlords. Is this a good enough reason to take them down?

Survey of antiheroes says YES!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I will get hype for two things and only two things:

Zombies eating PC brains, or
:black101: "Break out the chainsaws!" :black101:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

It's funny because I totally expect Chokes to show off the automatic game over from the entire party agreeing to join Big T's Merry Men before the final boss fight

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I don't know why I find the Sasha bits so funny, but I do.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't know why I find the Sasha bits so funny, but I do.

Me too. Sasha is the perfect handler for these guys because she does not give one iota of a gently caress as long as it’s not directly threatening her personal safety.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think they perfectly nailed her expression as well. She's not there to be your friend, she knows exactly why you're there, and she knows theres a good chance that as much blustering and swaggering the "heroes" are doing, theres a 75% chance she'll never see them again except as a "Missing Person" poster.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Randalor posted:

theres a 75% chance she'll never see them again except as a "Missing Person" poster.

I can just see it now - after an especially long trip the party makes it back to find their pictures on milk cartons. Naturally, Sternn sues the dairy company for using his likeness without permission.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DGM_2 posted:

I can just see it now - after an especially long trip the party makes it back to find their pictures on milk cartons. Naturally, Sternn sues the dairy company for using his likeness without permission.

Or better yet they try to claim the reward for finding the missing adventurers.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

docbeard posted:

Or better yet they try to claim the reward for finding the missing adventurers.

Embrace the healing power of "and."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Commander Keene posted:

Oh, right, Brass (IIRC) dragons do that. I tend to forget about them.

Well they are good dragons. So they tend not to be fought too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well they are good dragons. So they tend not to be fought too often.
They're also one of the most boring of the good dragons. Like this is all 3e dragons, but Copper dragons tell dad jokes and play pranks on you if you don't laugh. They also live in deserts and like to eat spiders and scorpions because they think the venom sharpens their wits. Gold dragons love gems as snacks and have an innate spell that lets them know if you have any. Silver dragons can walk on clouds. Why can they walk on clouds? So they can have cool cloud castles, that's why!

In comparison, Brass dragons are just "the chatty ones", because they love to talk.