Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Chazani posted:

Because it's Asmodee and FFG, you should always be a bit worried about the continuity of anything. The game is old, but it has been decently popular because of the theme. With the Amazon series coming, it would be a bit silly to give up on a card game that shares the timeline with new tv series.

For what it's worth, I've been worried about them killing LOTR for 3 years and it still hasn't happened. I think there has been rumours of some kind of rework in 2020, which would be good for you.

Fake edit: I just realised that Amazon has way more money to spend than Asmodee. They are going to buy the licence. Game's dead.

Do you mean Amazon's gonna make a card game or what? Lots of things are often licensed for different purposes.

Tbh I'd be more worried about the layoffs and the shutdown of SW: Destiny. That said if you enjoy the game I wouldn't worry too much because even if they do stop it, as it's a solo game that just means you should likely get discounts on finishing your collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Does anyone know how much it costs to order off FFG's website to the UK? It's the only place I can find selling the Nightmare packs I'm after :negative:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Rarity posted:

Does anyone know how much it costs to order off FFG's website to the UK? It's the only place I can find selling the Nightmare packs I'm after :negative:

Their international shipping fees are pretty outrageous.

We were looking into getting the L5R packs from them when they started offering the full art cards with them and the cost was hilariously bad. I'm talking the same thing I could have shipped for $25 through Mini Market was $65 through them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PaybackJack posted:

Their international shipping fees are pretty outrageous.

We were looking into getting the L5R packs from them when they started offering the full art cards with them and the cost was hilariously bad. I'm talking the same thing I could have shipped for $25 through Mini Market was $65 through them.

Yeah I know it's cheaper to ship from Amazon US which I've had to do for my last few purchases but this one's too obscure for even that apparently :argh:

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

alansmithee posted:

Do you mean Amazon's gonna make a card game or what? Lots of things are often licensed for different purposes.

Tbh I'd be more worried about the layoffs and the shutdown of SW: Destiny. That said if you enjoy the game I wouldn't worry too much because even if they do stop it, as it's a solo game that just means you should likely get discounts on finishing your collection.

I'm just joking.

Although something like that did happen to Netrunner...

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Chazani posted:

I'm just joking.

Although something like that did happen to Netrunner...

The thing with netrunner iirc was that license was too expensive compared to how much money it was. Wotc isn’t doing anything with the ip and I think they would have by now if they wanted to.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Chazani posted:

Because it's Asmodee and FFG, you should always be a bit worried about the continuity of anything. The game is old, but it has been decently popular because of the theme. With the Amazon series coming, it would be a bit silly to give up on a card game that shares the timeline with new tv series.

For what it's worth, I've been worried about them killing LOTR for 3 years and it still hasn't happened. I think there has been rumours of some kind of rework in 2020, which would be good for you.

Fake edit: I just realised that Amazon has way more money to spend than Asmodee. They are going to buy the licence. Game's dead.

If amazon cared that much about being able to make LOTR games, they’d just buy Asmodee.

And wasn’t the Netrunner stuff because WOTC realized they could make more money doing something themselves than licensing it back out.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 15, 2020

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

sportsgenius86 posted:

If amazon cared that much about being able to make LOTR games, they’d just buy Asmodee.

And wasn’t the Netrunner stuff because WOTC realized they could make more money doing something themselves than licensing it back out.

I wonder if WotC noticed that a non Magic card game was semi popular, and just decided to swat it down into oblivion on a whim. How much could FFG have been paying them anyway?

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I wonder if WotC noticed that a non Magic card game was semi popular, and just decided to swat it down into oblivion on a whim. How much could FFG have been paying them anyway?

This time I am actually serious. If I remember right, FFG lost the licence bit after Asmodee bought them. This might have influenced Hasbro.

Because companies are the devil.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Picked up Marvel Champions on a whim, and man it's REALLY cool so far. It'll never dethrone LotR for me as far as co-ops go, but I played a bunch of it with my son and we both love it. My questions though, is "if you use a card that has an attack/thwart ability, does that take the place of your basic attack/thwart?" So could you in theory use one of Iron Man's tech cards to attack and then also thwart with him or does using Repulsor Blast or whatever tap him?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
If the card doesn't exhaust your hero/alter ego, you can still use your basic ability.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

EdsTeioh posted:

Picked up Marvel Champions on a whim, and man it's REALLY cool so far. It'll never dethrone LotR for me as far as co-ops go, but I played a bunch of it with my son and we both love it. My questions though, is "if you use a card that has an attack/thwart ability, does that take the place of your basic attack/thwart?" So could you in theory use one of Iron Man's tech cards to attack and then also thwart with him or does using Repulsor Blast or whatever tap him?

Your basic ones exhaust your character. Anything else is just an added bonus attack/thwart you can also do in addition to your basics.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

LifeLynx posted:

Your basic ones exhaust your character. Anything else is just an added bonus attack/thwart you can also do in addition to your basics.

Unless that anything else specifically says that it exhausts you.

I just got the Marvel Champions core box in the mail today after trying it out on Tabletop Simulator a few days ago. Just finished playing the intro together with my husband and he really liked it and definitely wants to play more.

While I very much prefer LOTR thematically and narratively, Marvel Champions is just a joy to play. It borrows pretty heavily from LOTR (Nate French and all...) to a degree that makes me feel like it's almost a more streamlined, simpler, faster version of that game.

Jury's still out for me on how deckbuilding will be for Marvel though. I havent read the tournament deckbuilding rules or whatever yet... but as, say, Spiderman, do I always 100% of the time have to have all of the Spiderman-specific cards in my deck?

Captain America and the Green Goblin scenario pack are supposedly going to be in stock here in Germany sometime this month, might preorder them because I'm a responsible adult who totally makes great financial decisions.

Drone fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 15, 2020

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thanks for the answers; that's how we were playing it. And yes, Marvel Champs feels very much like "Arcade Mode LotR," which I'm 100% on board with. LotR is actually my favorite board/card game period but there are times where it can be a chore.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Drone posted:

Jury's still out for me on how deckbuilding will be for Marvel though. I havent read the tournament deckbuilding rules or whatever yet... but as, say, Spiderman, do I always 100% of the time have to have all of the Spiderman-specific cards in my deck?

Yes:

PLAYER DECKS
The deck customization rules for player decks are:
• A player must choose exactly one identity card.
• A player’s deck consists of a minimum of 40 cards
and a maximum of 50 cards. The identity card is not
counted as part of this number.
• A player’s deck must include each of the hero cards
associated with their chosen identity card. The exact
quantity of each card included in that hero set must
be included in the deck.
• A player may choose exactly one aspect (Justice,
Aggression, Protection, or Leadership) to use for
customization. The remainder of their deck is then
customized with cards that belong to that aspect and/
or basic cards.
• No more than three copies (by title) of each nonunique card may be included in the deck.
• No more than one copy (by title) of each unique card
may be included among the cards in the deck and the
identity card. If two unique cards share the same title,
but their subtitles/alter-egos differ, they may coexist
in the deck.
• Any “deckbuilding requirements” on the player’s identity card must be followed.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Rarity posted:

I got the last five Netrunner packs direct from them when it died (so mid 2018) and paid $25.85 on that. Made em about £15 each which is just paying RRP.

What I can't remember is if Royal Mail held them and charged me for it, if they did it would have added another £20+

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

According to Amazon the Ms. Marvel pack will be shipping to me sometime between... mid-February and April. It's the only one that's popped as becoming available again as far as I know, although I am tempted to pre-order the Wrecking Crew.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Black Widow got an official reveal and they’re showing off new preparation mechanic. Which seems to be more about being able to pop off stuff during villains turn, at the cost of sacrificing a card. I like it. Black Widow seems pretty good, with the low hit point cost gonna be a bit of a glass cannon and will definitely have to form shift a lot.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with what they showed off. Game is gonna be in a good place. I just really wanna see a reveal on the big box expansion cause I want a lot more villain variety. Glad that Wrecking Crew is next.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Drone posted:

As someone just now getting into LOTR (since last week I bought all of the Mirkwood cycle, so I've got Core + a complete Mirkwood at the moment), should I be worried about FFG halting LOTR and not doing any more reprints, given all the fluctuation that's happening over there with the layoffs and cancelling Star Wars: Destiny?

My budget can't handle playing frantic catchup on LOTR before it goes out of print.

It is definitely circling the drain, FFG is pretty openly axing things left and right right now and it seems like even their immensely popular stuff is getting a reprint "sometime, maybe?".

When Netrunner died you could pick up a full set of cards for a couple hundred, which seems like a ton but was way less than buying them all piecemeal as they were released. I'm not sure how a co-op game would handle a similar fate, though.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Black Widow looks slick, and I'm glad that they're using heroes to introduce mechanics without gating them behind the hero. It'll be interesting to see how keywords like "Tech" and "Preparation" grow as the card pool starts getting deep enough to really think about.

I was building a deck last night, and I was running Concussive Blow, and I was making judgment calls on cards I wouldn't have played before because I really wanted reliable "Fist" cards.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Just played the core set of Arkham Horror. I’m enjoying it a decent amount.

Anyone have a large collection of Arkham Horror they’re looking to get rid of?

I figure folks won’t be selling all the time so I’ll probably slowly buy up some sets here and there while keeping an eye out on eBay or whatever.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Do you all keep your original packaging after moving your LCG collections to a different type of storage?

I've upgraded my LOTR collection over the past weeks and now have the Core set + all of Shadows of Mirkwood; Khazad-Dum + all of Dwarrowdelf; Heirs of Numenor + half of Against the Shadow; The Black Riders + The Road Darkens. I've been slowly packing them into a 4000-card sized cardboard storage box, which is more than big enough for everything, and the boxes for all of my Deluxe/Saga expansions are sitting around empty.

I can't really think of a reason to keep them aside from maybe, someday when/if I want to sell the collection, the potential buyer maybe wanting them for whatever reason?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I've been keeping the paper insert covers for all the Arkham packs I have, and cutting off the front of the deluxe boxes and storing them in the two core set boxes I have. I recycle the plastic boxes and the rest of the cardboard deluxe boxes. Should I ever want to sell the collection on eBay or something, that gives me an easy way to visually show what's in the collection without having to splay out a bunch of cards or photograph boring storage boxes that don't tell you much about the contents of the collection.

It's a little dorky keeping all that around, but my job is running an eBay store for a brick-and-mortar board game store. Being able to show all the expansions at a glance in one image consistently helps LCG lots, and game lots in general, sell much faster and at a higher price.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Drone posted:

Do you all keep your original packaging after moving your LCG collections to a different type of storage?

I've upgraded my LOTR collection over the past weeks and now have the Core set + all of Shadows of Mirkwood; Khazad-Dum + all of Dwarrowdelf; Heirs of Numenor + half of Against the Shadow; The Black Riders + The Road Darkens. I've been slowly packing them into a 4000-card sized cardboard storage box, which is more than big enough for everything, and the boxes for all of my Deluxe/Saga expansions are sitting around empty.

I can't really think of a reason to keep them aside from maybe, someday when/if I want to sell the collection, the potential buyer maybe wanting them for whatever reason?
I actually did a little DIY craft-style solution where I take the core/expansion boxes and cut/glue them together to make a taller box that can hold the cards on their sides with dividers. I took inspiration from this blog post:

https://paniccoffee.wordpress.com/2017/02/27/arkham-horror-lcg-storage-solutions/
For LOTR, I've put the player cards in separate colored binders and the encounter/scenario cards in the crafted boxes.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I kept all my AGOT and Netrunner boxes.

I'm loving Champions, but their new clamshells aren't the same and don't feel worth keeping.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Drone posted:

I keep every cycle in their respective deluxe box. Each quest goes into a baseball card team pack. Each deluxe box is perfectly sized for the full cycle worth of quests and their respective rules pamphlets.

Player cards go into binders sorted by sphere and card number.

The core set and the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle are a little awkward, since there's a lot of wasted space but I have some of the extra print on demand quests and I think I keep them in there. I actually need to double check how I store those as I started buying the team packs well into my collecting of this game.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CitizenKeen posted:

I kept all my AGOT and Netrunner boxes.

I'm loving Champions, but their new clamshells aren't the same and don't feel worth keeping.

AGOT has done the clamshells for quite a while. It got introduced during the 2.0 cycle. If Champions is anything like GoT packaging the only cardboard will be for big box expansions.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
LotR has been clamshells for a while too, even for things that were originally in cardboard.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Black Stones posted:

AGOT has done the clamshells for quite a while. It got introduced during the 2.0 cycle. If Champions is anything like GoT packaging the only cardboard will be for big box expansions.

I stopped AGOT at the end of 1st Edition and took up Netrunner.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
My brother and I bit the bullet on Marvel Champions and are having a blast with it.

Unfortunately, I’ve been finding She-Hulk to be a little sluggish in play. I’m hoping to make a non-aggression aspect work, but haven’t found anything that really seems to click. Any suggestions?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yellow is Justice, right? It's been a while but I recall some really fun hero-card-flipping shenanigans you could get up to with a yellow She-Hulk deck out of the box.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

She-Hulk is best with justice and when you’re flipping between hero and alter ego nearly every turn.

I’ve tried everything but leadership with She-Hulk and you almost have to use justice, honestly.

The key to any of these heroes is maximizing free poo poo and when you can get that free 2 damage for flipping into She-Hulk, it helps things flow much better.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 2, 2020

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Thanks for the advice. I tried doing something with justice and ended up with a pretty enjoyable game. It certainly felt like I was getting more done.

Next up will be getting the balance right between which aspect cards and which basic cards to use. I figure it’s like Magic in that you’re aiming for consistency over having cool one-offs?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Thanks for the advice. I tried doing something with justice and ended up with a pretty enjoyable game. It certainly felt like I was getting more done.

Next up will be getting the balance right between which aspect cards and which basic cards to use. I figure it’s like Magic in that you’re aiming for consistency over having cool one-offs?

Unlike magic you are going to cycle through your deck multiple times and you can use situational cards as resources if they aren't useful the turn you draw them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've noticed something odd about Rhino - he's actuall in a way the hardest villain for big games because he's only got one scheme unless everybody is on the stick with the rhythm of 'thwart/attack.'

And in the game I played Shadow of the Past popped twice and boy howdy that was fun.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I've noticed something odd about Rhino - he's actuall in a way the hardest villain for big games because he's only got one scheme unless everybody is on the stick with the rhythm of 'thwart/attack.'

And in the game I played Shadow of the Past popped twice and boy howdy that was fun.

I’d have someone play Ms. Marvel justice and just thwart. If they can get Shrink out quick, they should be able to easily take care of stuff with Sneak By and For Justice and use her hero ability to put events back in their hand.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 3, 2020

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I missed that the main scheme gets an acceleration token each time the villain goes through their deck. Any other easily overlooked rules in Marvel Champions?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

KPC_Mammon posted:

I missed that the main scheme gets an acceleration token each time the villain goes through their deck. Any other easily overlooked rules in Marvel Champions?

KPC_Mammon posted:

Unlike magic you are going to cycle through your deck multiple times and you can use situational cards as resources if they aren't useful the turn you draw them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you might be missing that you get dealt an encounter card if you cycle through your own deck?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you might be missing that you get dealt an encounter card if you cycle through your own deck?

I've not missed that one, thankfully.

I did miss earlier tonight that things that target heroes don't target you while flipped to your alter-ego. Would have beaten hard mode Klaw otherwise, assuming I didn't get anything else wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I think based on my experience with other co-op games, I really overestimated the danger of running through your deck and drawing that extra penalty card. The wrong encounter can really ruin your day, but if you’re playing your other hands well, you should be prepared for the extra hurt.

Played a couple of fun games with both Ms Marvel and got a chance to try Spidey since the first couple of learning games. Aunt May is awesome. I’m really enjoying what we’ve got so far, and we haven’t even really tried all that many combos yet. Good fun.