Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Siljmonster posted:

If you die in a helicopter crash there's a 99% chance you weren't helping anyone else

tryin to disagree but this checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Victory Position posted:

did he do anything like LeBron has with his school in Akron? charity and Kobe don't quite ring any bells over here

afaik nothing of note; the guy spent most of his life as a celebrity

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lakers games for like a decade was cameras constantly following around Shaq and Kobe in the middle of a game even when they weren't playing

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Percelus posted:

the amber flamewars haven't been the same since r guy left rip

i lost r guy
ps. ill find r guy
who took r guy

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

people who say this have never listened to the show

there are people who poorly connect "they say this thing I care about doesn't matter" and "therefore nothing must matter"

most of them are Maddow-poisoned though. one of the things i'm glad they touched on in their discussion of the contagion theory of politics is the bizzare idea that the power can only flow one way, and you see that crop up a lot in political pseudoscience

the classic example is all the race science poo poo that grew up around slavery, and one of its most fascinating contradictions.
1. white people blood is magic and better than all the rest, destined to overcome all obstacles by virtue of its god-given whiteness.
2. a -single drop- of black people blood is an irrevocable contagion that no amount of whiteness can overcome.

the idea that the process could be the other way around- that the pressure of your ideas and/or culture could be making its way into populations that had not considered them before- is never examined. it's all Fortress-America Gated-Community psychosis about what if some of the help get ideas above their station, and start acting like they belong in the same spaces as me.

the flaw in contagion theory is not in the wacky idea that the people you work with will help shape what your political goals are. there is a reason why nobody is trying for the Sean Hannity audience, there's just shy of zero common interest there. the flaw here is in the assumption that the Joe Rogan listener, who vaguely agrees with him that acid lets you access a higher plane, trans people as a concept are gross, Krvnvc Jklskvo got loving robbed against Tomasza Bolsonaro last night, and Bernie Sanders seems to know what he's doing, is a source of infection instead of the ideal target to infect.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Victory Position posted:

did he do anything like LeBron has with his school in Akron? charity and Kobe don't quite ring any bells over here

Kobe ran a VC firm

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it's all Fortress-America Gated-Community psychosis about what if some of the help get ideas above their station, and start acting like they belong in the same spaces as me.

the flaw here is in the assumption that the Joe Rogan listener, who vaguely agrees with him that acid lets you access a higher plane, trans people as a concept are gross, Krvnvc Jklskvo got loving robbed against Tomasza Bolsonaro last night, and Bernie Sanders seems to know what he's doing, is a source of infection instead of the ideal target to infect.
Rich liberals hate this because it means they can't pretend to be enlightened progressives anymore. If every meathead jock dudebro is in favour of trans rights, they don't get brownie points just for not being evil.

I really enjoyed the latest Chapo and there's a lot of unpacking of liberal ideology there, and a lot more worth talking about. But at some point it starts to feel overwhelmingly absurd, like we're having to point out that a crocodile is not a housecat, and carefully listing all the differences between them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

I really enjoyed the latest Chapo and there's a lot of unpacking of liberal ideology there, and a lot more worth talking about. But at some point it starts to feel overwhelmingly absurd, like we're having to point out that a crocodile is not a housecat, and carefully listing all the differences between them.

I want Bernie to win because I think Americans should have public healthcare, but selfishly I want Bernie to win because I want to see American liberalism (at least as it exists in the American media) tear itself apart so we can finally get to see how pretty despicable people continue to unravel, a process that started in a superficial manner when Trump won in 2016. And I'd also like to see how the ideology responds to the mildest electoral success of the left which is attempting to develop some economic reforms that give real power to the social progressivism that american liberals supposedly believe.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Siljmonster posted:

If you die in a helicopter crash there's a 99% chance you weren't helping anyone else

What about all the troops who die in helicopter crashes because those big dual rotor helicopters are insanely unsafe??

Yeah that's what I thought checkmate lib

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

talk about the stark opposite of doing good for the world at large :stonklol:

on another topic, the new Citations Needed is probably one of the best in their catalog thus far and I do wish more folks would hear more about the AA/NA racket, as my experiences with that type of recovery is basically nil to negative results.

you got to love it when your AA group says that the moral failings of alcoholism have caused to question gender, God, and country!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1222996559270490113?s=20

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

coathat posted:

You fuckers are so drat weird

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ace of Baes posted:

just seems pretty racist to smear one of the only ethnically ambiguous members of the pod

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i listen to you can't win, age of napoleon, chapo and radio war nerd

need more podcasts

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i like michael brooks too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

need more podcasts

Citations Needed is like the best podcast, Economic Update with Richard Wolff is very good. Trillbilly Workers Party is on par with Chapo as radical appachalaian leftistsand Appalachian point of view they yell about capitalism and coastal nyc idpol libs

also cumtown

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

need more podcasts

add Inward Revolutions, What A Time To Be Alive, and Inward Empire

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

need more podcasts

I would have figured you for an Antifada listener, but since you aren't, give it a shot!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

Citations Needed is like the best podcast, Economic Update with Richard Wolff is very good. Trillbilly Workers Party is on par with Chapo as radical appachalaian leftistsand Appalachian point of view they yell about capitalism and coastal nyc idpol libs

sweet yeah. i'll check those out

also the others

Xaris posted:

also cumtown
i dunno....

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

need more podcasts

Audiobooks

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah everyone keeps saying it but citations needed is the best out there. gets me to look at things i haven't questioned before in a new critical light.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

it was intended to be a comedy answer but it’s an acquired taste and funny as hell if it clicks

but the others yeah def check out they are good

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
If you like making fun of stupid venture capital firms and the usurious companies they fund Trashfuturepod is very good and funny. TW: There is a lot of references to British politics and talking over eachother.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
thanks for all the recommendations! i'm gonna start with citations needed

Xaris posted:

it was intended to be a comedy answer but it’s an acquired taste and funny as hell if it clicks

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
What did Nick do to get suspended on Twitter this time?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Xaris posted:

if nothing else listen to the cumtown ep right after the 2016 election night, better analysis on the election than basically anyone else in the media

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Snake Dance posted:

What did Nick do to get suspended on Twitter this time?

it was probably that tweet about the disability uber ride he made

coathat
May 21, 2007

need more podcasts

The Siecle is good if you want more french history. It's covering the century from 1814 after the fall of Napoleon to WW1 starting in 1914.

Also Uhh Yeah Dude is the best podcast

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

need more podcasts

Revolutions and The Dollop

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

if nothing else listen to the cumtown ep right after the 2016 election night, better analysis on the election than basically anyone else in the media
i might do that yeah. it took me a long time to get into chapo actually and it was the CPAC episode which did it. i'll skip over some. i'm a picky date

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

beep beep lettuce, for a podcast as high as you are

I also enjoy Seriously Wrong, which might be the most optimistic podcast I've found

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

i might do that yeah. it took me a long time to get into chapo actually and it was the CPAC episode which did it. i'll skip over some. i'm a picky date

i held off on chapo for a while because i believed the stereotype about it that people were crowing about. i think it was the gorka episodes that finally made me listen and realize that all those complaints were just flat out stupid

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

coathat posted:

Also Uhh Yeah Dude is the best podcast

I don’t agree but I also couldn’t get into it. also it’s a 15 year long running podcast and I think that’s too intimidating, I wouldn’t really recommend it just for that if you haven’t already been a listener for awhile.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Shipon posted:

What episode number was it?

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

need more podcasts

other than age of napoleon, those and cum town are pretty much what i listen to regularly. there's also richard wolff's podcast, economic update, which is pretty good, even if it gets repetitive after a while. it's ~30 minutes of him talking about current events he finds interesting, from a marxist perspective. it comes out once a week.

besides those i subscribe to a couple others that aren't regularly updated/worth listening to, but have good episodes sometimes.

for example, https://www.thedigradio.com/ is very good when i'm interested in the guest or what they're talking about, which happens pretty often, as the interviewer is well prepared and good at their job and the interviewees are typically leftists journalists or academics.

dead pundits society can also be good if you're similarly selective, looking for guests/topics that fit your interests

edit:

if you like chapo's humor and mentally ill 20 somethings ironically pretending to be middle school boys joking around, you might like cum town. i don't suggest getting into it tho

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Jan 31, 2020

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

What episode number was it?

Episode 26 of the free feed

THS
Sep 15, 2017

citations needed is the only non-jokes podcast that is bearable to listen to

THS
Sep 15, 2017

cumtown is cool because its the only thing i am ashamed of and have to hide from friends and strangers

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
oh yeah I forgot to mention 99% Invisible is a good one if you just want 20 minut episodes about A Thing. be it high heels or people who make sound effects in movies or McDonald’s advertising to corporate logos to anti-homeless measures to cathedrals.

and since it’s not on current events or host banter, you can just listen to any that sounds interesting to you

I will say I think they’ve stopped doing interesting things the last year or two and changed the format a bit, lots of side project plugs and annoying poo poo like that like trying to grow the brand/network but in an annoying way. so imo it’s gotten kinda bad and less enjoyable but there’s still like 200+ good episodes in the backlog

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

THS posted:

citations needed is the only non-jokes podcast that is bearable to listen to

i'm liking revolutions podcast a lot (still on haiti) and radio war nerd is consistently good, so you're wrong imo