Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Faustian Bargain posted:

I know this "trial" has been a foregone conclusion, but it really sucks that our government is such a failure that we can't even get witnesses in a trial.

I also really, really, really hate the talking point "the dems are being so partisan!" The GOP is the one plugging their ears and screaming not wanting to do anything, not the dems. The only partisanship is that the GOP is firmly attached to Trump's rear end in a top hat, human centipede style.

well keep that rage. poo poo like that will help us when we vote in november.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

imagine being a cspan anchor :stonk:

Probably on par w/being a facebook/youtube monitor. :stonk:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GOP Sen. Lamar Alexander says he will announce his decision on witnesses tonight

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-impeachment-trial-01-30-20/index.html

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Petr posted:

Seems to be putting a lot of unearned faith in the electorate to remember, care, AND vote.

Been replied to, but distilled: if Senators do not vote well, the electorate (us) might be all that's left to sort this poo poo out.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well keep that rage. poo poo like that will help us when we vote in november.
Nah, close it up. The ones in power are cementing their power. I fully expect a bigger popular vote margin but we still get hosed by the EC, by design. It's over.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

GOP Sen. Lamar Alexander says he will announce his decision on witnesses tonight

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-impeachment-trial-01-30-20/index.html

Lol, gotta impress your master by announcing your servileness as publicly as possible

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Faustian Bargain posted:

Nah, close it up. The ones in power are cementing their power. I fully expect a bigger popular vote margin but we still get hosed by the EC, by design. It's over.

i see its gonna be one of these nights.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Faustian Bargain posted:

Not allowing witnesses is the worst thing they have to do. All it does is ingratiate them with Trump personally, who will never give a poo poo about them for any reason, and it looks *really* loving bad. This is basically the best outcome for impeachment as a whole, make them all tie themselves as personally as possible to Trump in complete defiance of even pretending to be reasonable

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lemming posted:

Not allowing witnesses is the worst thing they have to do. All it does is ingratiate them with Trump personally, who will never give a poo poo about them for any reason, and it looks *really* loving bad. This is basically the best outcome for impeachment as a whole, make them all tie themselves as personally as possible to Trump in complete defiance of even pretending to be reasonable

yeah thats what it seems. i hope witnesses happen. but at least there is a "bright side"

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

There is also a laundry list of crimes that the House could draw up articles on after this farce is over.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Gee, wonder what that will be.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Gee, wonder what that will be.

well him and murkowski are talking and it made be cover for both of them. hopefully in the positive.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
It's prophecy fulfilled to see the Trinity Broadcast Network lawyer arguing an impeachment trial.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Meridian posted:

There is also a laundry list of crimes that the House could draw up articles on after this farce is over.
I'm not sure that will help. Trump is already going to be banging the drum that he was totally exonerated, this will just give him more ammo for the "hoax" investigations against him. Beat Russia, beat Ukraine, what will those silly dems try next?

I don't see what there is to gain from it on the dem side. I'd love to think that securing this anchor around the GOP is going to help, but their supporters are actually very cool with it so what's the point?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Faustian Bargain posted:

I'm not sure that will help. Trump is already going to be banging the drum that he was totally exonerated, this will just give him more ammo for the "hoax" investigations against him. Beat Russia, beat Ukraine, what will those silly dems try next?

I don't see what there is to gain from it on the dem side. I'd love to think that securing this anchor around the GOP is going to help, but their supporters are actually very cool with it so what's the point?

because his supporters are the minority. most polls want him removed and all the polls think their should be witnesses. trumps still in the shitter in a ton of states and in the polls. plus the last 2 elections were blue waves.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 31, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Faustian Bargain posted:

If Trump is already all powerful then nothing matters, if he's not this obviously looks bad for the GOP as a whole and it's going to hurt them in the election

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Faustian Bargain posted:

Well, there's the fact that it's the right thing to do. There's that.

But okay. What's to gain from rolling over?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1223045377861001217

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Lemming posted:

Yeah, as much as I would enjoy the satisfaction of seeing the Turtle lose control of his caucus and the amazingly entertaining poo poo-show that witnesses would bring, This whole "We're voting to acquit after willfully ignoring critical evidence in the face of the most blatant obstruction in human history" is about as damaging to the GOP as a whole as is possible. I mean we always knew that this was going to be a farce of a trial, so them just being so blatant about it is really the best outcome.

Then again I still give it 50/50 odds that we get witnesses and this poo poo-show gets drug out another month. If it comes down to 50 vs 50 with Robert's being the deciding vote, I don't even know which would be my preferred outcome. But one thing is for sure, none of them are good for the GOP.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Faustian Bargain posted:

The EC is effectively the same as it was in 2008 and 2012. It may be tilted some towards the GOP but it has for some time and guess what a Democrat can still win. Chill.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

That's interesting at least.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

It's impossible trying to read the tea leaves at this point. For as much as I hate the fucker, Mitch is an absolutely brilliant politician and tactician.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/RosieGray/status/1223042042139377664

lol. hopefully good sign.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It's impossible trying to read the tea leaves at this point. For as much as I hate the fucker, Mitch is an absolutely brilliant politician and tactician.

Abusing bipartisanship to screw people isn't brilliant. He's just a cruel, cold hearted person.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Goddamn I hope he is seriously dying inside even though I know he has no soul.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Djarum posted:

That's interesting at least.

It was probably just a hand-drawn picture of dick butt.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

CommieGIR posted:

Abusing bipartisanship to screw people isn't brilliant. He's just a cruel, cold hearted person.

Exactly, he's shameless not brilliant.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mdemone posted:

Goddamn I hope he is seriously dying inside even though I know he has no soul.

god i hope so too.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this stunt by alexander seems tailor-made to give cover to Murkowski to do something she's otherwise afraid of -- just follow alexander and pretend that being the 50th vote isn't an option

i just have no idea which option that is. you'd think these people wouldn't be this performative unless they had some plan but uhhh who the gently caress knows anymore

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eke out posted:

this stunt by alexander seems tailor-made to give cover to Murkowski to do something she's otherwise afraid of -- just follow alexander and pretend that being the 50th vote isn't an option

i just have no idea which one that is. you'd think these people wouldn't be this performative unless they had some plan but uhhh who the gently caress knows anymore

why do you think that?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why do you think that?

i mean that letting the media focus on Alexander as #51 conveniently obscures the fact that, even if he wasn't with them, Murkowski could vote yes on witnesses, be the 50th vote, and let Roberts decide it. i imagine that whatever way she's voting, she's not looking forward to how it's going to play

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Trump's lawyer's legal argument sound like dressed up Trump rally talking points.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Murkowski directly asking WH counsel why the hell they shouldn't call Bolton.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1223053336259317760

okay...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Hard to tell if this is tipping her hand, or just teeing up an opportunity for them to give her cover.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

I've been owned. My humblest appointment apologies for being an idiot earlier

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I'd wish they'd stop dancing around the issue and playing coy on their vote. I'm not giving them any more of my brain time tonight. Absolute circus for the base.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SubG posted:

Hard to tell if this is tipping her hand, or just teeing up an opportunity for them to give her cover.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1223053932819369985

definitely seems like a tip of the hand, considering the framing

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oxsnard posted:

I've been owned. My humblest appointment apologies for being an idiot earlier

haha, don't worry, we're still a ways from you being Officially Wrong about this

at least Alexander announcing tonight will let us not have to bother watching tomorrow if we're in nothing matters land

https://twitter.com/jentaub/status/1223054295614087168

also: philbin's answer was Not Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1223053932819369985

definitely seems like a tip of the hand, considering the framing
I kinda agree; if she'd put the question to both the lawyers and the managers then that would look more like cover: I listened to both sides and the shameless scumfucks were more convincing or whatever. But I'm not going to believe anything until after it happens.