Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Hexigrammus posted:

2) These apparatchiks are tying themselves in knots trying to reconcile a business as usual resource extraction economy with a majority of Canadians being concerned about climate change.

How did the Liberals solve this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
They bought a pipeline. :thunk:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 9, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/science-doesn-t-confirm-biological-component-to-being-gay-tory-leadership-hopeful-says-1.4789014

Derek Sloan is tying his horse to Décarie's cart to say being gay is a choice.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/carleton-university-facebook-election-integrity-appointment-1.5444017

quote:

MP Charlie Angus, the NDP's ethics critic, said when he first heard about Chan's appointment at Carleton, he thought it was a joke.

"It's kind of like saying, you know, 'We've talked to Mr. Dracula, and he knows a lot about blood, and so he'd be a great guy to look after the blood supply,'" Angus told CBC. "The reality is that social media plays a huge role in elections. But Facebook is under numerous investigations, and they blow off the legislators around the world and refuse to be accountable. So you don't let them set the course on what is integrity with elections ... to pass off their top lobbyist as a visiting scholar, it's in the realm of the ridiculous."

Nobody should be judged by the person they were in high school, but anyone who went to Gloucester in the mid-90s knew that Kevin Chan's relentless ambition was going to take him to a lofty political position someday.

None of us could, of course, have guessed that he'd sitting atop that lofty mount spreading memes to rural grandmas about hippies coming to ban cars and make everyone wear niqabs.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
loving Carleton.

lol @ anyone thinking Facebook can "advance" democracy when its core business model is built on spreading lies to people.

Of course, uOttawa has its problems too, bringing loving Scientologists in.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/uottawa-phychiatry-protest-1.5443534

quote:

Some students at the University of Ottawa are denouncing an on-campus display that calls psychiatry an "industry of death," saying it further stigmatizes people who need medication to treat mental health conditions.

The multi-media exhibit in the Jock Turcot University Centre is sponsored by the Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR), a group founded 50 years ago by the Church of Scientology. The display includes a panel titled "inventing disorders to sell drugs," and another linking psychiatry to the practice of eugenics in Nazi Germany.

But when university president Jacques Frémont stopped by the protest to speak with students Tuesday, he told them CCHR hadn't been clear about its message when it applied to rent the space.

"We support evidence-based science," Frémont told the protesters. "We are with you."

In a statement, the University of Ottawa said it doesn't support the views presented in the exhibit, and said its agreement to rent out the space shouldn't be seen as an endorsement. The university said its policy on free expression is to neither shield students from controversial or objectionable views, nor to interfere with messages that fall within the limits of Canada's free speech law.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 30, 2020

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Remember the F-35?
Numbers are in US dollars:

https://twitter.com/bentaub91/status/1222892098891980800?s=19

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wow, what a deal.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
One bad thing: wasting trillions of dollars on F35s that will never work
Two bad things: wasting trillions of dollars on F35s that do in fact work

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

One bad thing: wasting trillions of dollars on F35s that will never work
Two bad things: wasting trillions of dollars on F35s that do in fact work

The fact that Lockheed-Martin has convinced militaries to spend billions on weapons that don’t work really does make them the modern day Oskar Schindler.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The F-35 is the modern-day equivalent of Keynes's ditch-digging proposal, except it has the added benefit of stopping investment in weapons that might actually work

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
We should have gone with the Gripens!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
We should have disbanded the RCAF and sold the planes to the highest bidder

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Why don't we just drop the charade and just design a plane specifically for airshows that looks ridiculous like a lamborghini or something so all the mouth breathers can be impressed. It could have like a flamethrower on it and maybe a giant bayonet on the front or something. That's the only thing these planes are ever used for.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Manitoba PCs are telling School Divisions to cut 15% of administration staff in the 2020/2021 budget year. Pay raises of 0%, 0%, 0,5%, and 1% for non-union staff and provincial funding shares over the next year will only increase 0.5%.

We are going to eliminate the School Tax but at the cost of massive cuts.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

RBC posted:

Why don't we just drop the charade and just design a plane specifically for airshows that looks ridiculous like a lamborghini or something so all the mouth breathers can be impressed. It could have like a flamethrower on it and maybe a giant bayonet on the front or something. That's the only thing these planes are ever used for.

I say we take the money and spend it implementing the royal canadian zeppelin brigade to democratize and green up cross country travel and trade

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

DariusLikewise posted:

We are going to eliminate the School

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

We don't deserve our education system, anyway.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

The people I know that send their kids to private school are all insufferable social status seekers.

Literally all of them wear Canada Goose jackets.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

half cocaine posted:

The people I know that send their kids to private school are all insufferable social status seekers.

They probably got that way from going to private school themselves, completing the cycle

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

half cocaine posted:

And when they're on vacation anywhere abroad they loudly declare they're Canadian and therefore very nice. Now let me tell you the problems I have with my room...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lassitude posted:

We don't deserve our education system, anyway.

You're correct but not for the reason you're implying. We deserve a better education system that isn't trapped in a 19th century German model mindset.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Lassitude posted:

And when they're on vacation anywhere abroad they loudly declare they're Canadian and therefore very nice. Now let me tell you the problems I have with my room...

My god, I hate these people. Had one tell me how much he missed his Tim Hortons coffee during a two week vacation...in Italy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Maybe they just really hate coffee

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

RBC posted:

On afterburners is exactly what you're describing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean, at least we know they work.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wait backup.

We are back on the F-35 grift list again? I thought the Liberals walked away back in their first year because it polled so abysmally low with Canadians.

I mean I expect Liberals to Lib but this seems well beyond their normal stupid since its not even being done to bail out a Canadian company.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Memo to Erin O’Toole: Don’t blow our cover

The Star Editorial Board posted:

Conspiracies, pretty much by definition, work only if they stay in the shadows. So here on the Star’s editorial board we’re quite ticked off this week at Erin O’Toole, who’s running for the leadership of the federal Conservative party.

In the course of pitching his case to Tories, O’Toole warned against turning into the “mushy middle party” and lamented that Canada under the Trudeau government has lost its competitive mojo.

So far, so predictable. But then he let the cat out of the bag: “We’re seen, quite frankly, as government led by the editorial board of the Toronto Star.”

Well, we do try. But it just gets harder when people like O’Toole pull back the curtain and expose the string-pulling that goes on behind closed doors.

We do take comfort, though, in the fact that this revelation appeared in the National Post. That’s the next best thing to keeping it a secret.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Toronto Star, coming out swinging.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

half cocaine posted:

No you see their child is very special and the fact that they perform like dogshit at everything and have horrendous behavioural issues is because the public schools are bad, clearly the solution is to pay people to tell them what they want to hear and come up with grades from thin air where the numbers are bigger and therefore better.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

No you see their child is very special and the fact that they perform like dogshit at everything and have horrendous behavioural issues is because the public schools are bad, clearly the solution is to pay people to tell them what they want to hear and come up with grades from thin air where the numbers are bigger and therefore better.

This explains the Fords, but not the Kenneys or Pallisters.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

This explains the Fords, but not the Kenneys or Pallisters.

Well, they like things the good old-fashioned way, where instead of being told about gay people in sex ed, which is obviously immoral, you get raped in the locker-room in some sort of bizarre hazing ritual, which is a good and perfectly normal tradition :v:

Don't forget that public school can lead to things like experimenting with alcohol and marijuana, whereas going to private school you will have access to better rich-people drugs like cocaine!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hey could be worse, they could decide that those damnable public schools getting on their case about actually treating mental disorders like ADHD, and not just yelling that those are fake diseases over and over, is the worst travesty ever and just pulling their kids to do ACE bullshite instead.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

StealthArcher posted:

Hey could be worse, they could decide that those damnable public schools getting on their case about actually treating mental disorders like ADHD, and not just yelling that those are fake diseases over and over, is the worst travesty ever and just pulling their kids to do ACE bullshite instead.

On the plus side at least they can't beat children like they do in the States, so, like, it could be worse... :smith:

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

By now, we probably could have bough Migs and refurbished them to work with NATO's system and still end up with a better deal than F-35s because they probably would work...

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

supersnowman posted:

By now, we probably could have bough Migs and refurbished them to work with NATO's system and still end up with a better deal than F-35s because they probably would work...

Buying Russian hardware was always a non-starter.

Now the French, who were literally willing to sell us the manufacturing rights to the Rafale AND the software code for modification...that would have been a stellar deal.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/PeterMacKay/status/1223620925989388290

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

What a loving moron. Surely there is something more interesting and relevant to criticise about Trudeau.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tsyni posted:

What a loving moron. Surely there is something more interesting and relevant to criticise about Trudeau.

Getting an early start on the pocketbook populism. The government is just like your household budget, etc., etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Lord Black of Crossharbour over here FINALLY making sense.

https://twitter.com/ConradMBlack/status/1223645555886346240