Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh Vash

Oh mentions that they got assets in the Gorn Hegemony so how'd you like the be the agent that got that posting. Hope the zipper isn't showing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I still can't forget how discovery a) made section 31 an official organization of the Federation Charter and b) give the super secret spy organization special badges so everyone could see at a glance who was the super secret spy.

a is a misunderstanding of what made section 31 interesting and b is a misunderstanding of the concept of "secret"

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

Cojawfee posted:

It would have been cooler if Picard had looked up Vash to get help that isn't exactly above board.

Or (former) Ensign Ro

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Arglebargle III posted:

I still can't forget how discovery a) made section 31 an official organization of the Federation Charter

That was Enterprise

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DS9 invented Section 31. Ira Stephen Behr himself came up with it.

e: oh wait I see what you're saying

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Ensign Ro would have been perfect.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Even the CIA station Chief at the embassy pretends to be something else, and that's the least secret kind of spy there is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I still can't forget how discovery a) made section 31 an official organization of the Federation Charter and b) give the super secret spy organization special badges so everyone could see at a glance who was the super secret spy.

a is a misunderstanding of what made section 31 interesting and b is a misunderstanding of the concept of "secret"

Sadly canon drift has basically made S31 the Federation's equivalent to the Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order. Like how Cerberus in Mass Effect goes from being a bunch of randos out the sticks you can completely miss if you don't do their side quest to a full blown covert intelligence operator with its own logo, command structure and unlimited resources between ME1 and ME2.

Episode was pretty good, but I sure as poo poo hope they get Picard's rear end out into space by next week because this is kind of dragging into The (Slow) Motion Picture territory in how self-indulgent it's being. Still loving the poo poo out of it though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

First episode of Picard was okay, but this second episode was convoluted trash. So far this is making zero sense and nothing is happening.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Woah in Episode 2 Patrick Stewart is playing Picard again. If you flip between the two you can see his tone and demeanor change. I don't know, maybe the pilot was filmed apart from the others?

I think that's a deliberate choice, Starfleet was what Picard lived for, and after they let him down and he resigned he just sat around on Earth with a part of him broken. Now we're seeing his passion come back and he's getting into spacefaring Picard mode.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

PICARD SHOW:

-dialog very hit and miss
-episodes just kinda end when they get to 45 minutes worth
-dune already did this plot
-p-stew is infinitely watchable so i guess i am sticking with this whole shitshow

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lester Shy posted:

The cursing in these new American shows always feels a little forced.

FTFY.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Cojawfee posted:

When I joined the air force, they were phasing out the BDUs in favor of ABUs. After I got out after six years, they started phasing out the ABUs in favor of OCPs.

Interesting to learn. It would be hilarious if one of the cartoon tie-ins like Lower Decks had the crewmen pulling random new uniforms out of the replicators, asking, "well, what the gently caress are we supposed to wear this month?!"

I'd be willing to roll with a storyline that indicates the anti-android Romulan boogeyman organization has infiltrated Vulcan culture, or might actually be a remaining link between Romulan and Vulcan cultures. Ruk the android from that one TOS episode wasn't necessarily benevolent, was he? And it seems like the story tells us he was built by a civilization more ancient than the Vulcans: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ruk

As long as the writers are willing to include deep cuts like Maddox, they might also be willing to drag in details like this.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I said come in! posted:

First episode of Picard was okay, but this second episode was convoluted trash. So far this is making zero sense and nothing is happening.

That is pretty much where I am at. The second episode was a bunch of characters I didn't like spouting boring exposition and being rude to each other.

Of course there has to be a more secret secret police with the Romulans.

The editing in the scene where they are both dropping exposition in Chateau Picard and trying to figure out what happened in Dahj's apartment was really weird. They probably decided that the lovely Romulan infodump at Chateau Picard and the awful technobabble explanation at Dahj's apartment played horribly viewed straight through, but I don't see how constantly cutting between the two scenes improved it any.

I don't like that the purpose of the interview scene at the beginning of the first episode was to give Starfleet and excuse not to give him a ship. I guess all the other times Picard saved the world and suffered for the sake of Starfleet and humanity are cancelled because he was mean to them on TV for 60 seconds over something that happened 14 years ago?

All-in-all, a painful 45 minutes of television that I had to struggle to finish. Hopefully the series picks up quickly after they finish setting everything up next episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

pyrotek posted:

I don't like that the purpose of the interview scene at the beginning of the first episode was to give Starfleet and excuse not to give him a ship. I guess all the other times Picard saved the world and suffered for the sake of Starfleet and humanity are cancelled because he was mean to them on TV for 60 seconds over something that happened 14 years ago?

The admiral would have found a way to not give Picard a ship no matter what happened. Picard was being the old retired guy who gets into your office and says "I used to work here" as if anyone there cares. Picard making GBS threads on Starfleet in that interview was just a convenient excuse to use to brush him off. In the real world, Picard would call up Starfleet, say "Romulans attacked someone I just met" and then the person on the phone says "thanks for the tip, we'll take care of it because we have the all the power of Starfleet and you're just a retired old man, so you aren't needed anymore." And then he gets pissy and goes home. Also, she's a starfleet admiral, so any slight bending of a regulation or action that causes Starfleet not to be perfect is the worst crime in history and I've brought down bigger men than you Picard!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The weird split opening was kind of annoying, with half of it in the apartment and half at the vineyard.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

oh but seriously I posted:

-dune already did this plot

I was thinking about this. This is feeling very Butlerian Jihady

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wow, nothing happened on Picard we still don't have a crew huh? I feel like the "next time on" for the first episode was about introducing the crew too. Aggressive levels of zilch.

I always wanted to see more of Star Trek's Earth, but not if there's loving nothing going on on it and it's exactly the same as every other location. Let's get to space here, solve a lovely mystery about Data's daughter or whatever shoot some romulans.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The admiral would have found a way to not give Picard a ship no matter what happened. Picard was being the old retired guy who gets into your office and says "I used to work here" as if anyone there cares. Picard making GBS threads on Starfleet in that interview was just a convenient excuse to use to brush him off. In the real world, Picard would call up Starfleet, say "Romulans attacked someone I just met" and then the person on the phone says "thanks for the tip, we'll take care of it because we have the all the power of Starfleet and you're just a retired old man, so you aren't needed anymore." And then he gets pissy and goes home. Also, she's a starfleet admiral, so any slight bending of a regulation or action that causes Starfleet not to be perfect is the worst crime in history and I've brought down bigger men than you Picard!

If this had been the second episode in a series about a new character, I would have bought that with no problem. The issue here is, this is motherfucking Jean-Luc Picard we are talking about. He is most certainly not the normal retired guy who still thinks he knows what is going on. He has done so many unbelievable things that there should be nothing he could say to them that they shouldn't at least thoroughly investigate before dismissing.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I think it would've been more believable if the admiral had taken Picard's suspicions seriously, but didn't allow him to lead the mission and either i) took the whole thing and assigned a young crew, ii) let Picard come back as an adjunct with no actual power or something. Then you could set it up a number of ways with Starfleet not really taking the mission seriously enough, or missing things, and Picard having to work around them.

Admiral could still have been hostile, if they really need her to be, without just basically kicking him out on his rear end. You didn't need the 'WHO THE gently caress DO YOU THINK YOU ARE' tone, it just required a bit of 'Jean Luc, you're not exactly the most popular man around here right now since you dredged up that thing with the Romulans on interstellar TV.'. But everything has got to slam, as opposed to flow, and that's how you end up with clunky writing.

The admiral did at least report it to the commodore (are commodores superior to admirals?), albeit with a big dose of 'sounds like a bunch of old man bullshit'.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are you forgetting that she's a starfleet admiral?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean, in All Good Things mostly everyone aside from Data treated Picard a “whatever you say, weird old guy” attitude. Hell, Admiral Riker was actively hostile to him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This show is having some similar problems to Discovery in that the editing is done by someone on speed.

Picard's doctor walks in, and that scene speeds through so fast to the commercial break that I had to rewind it.

Ep 2 Spoiler thoughts

I thought it was OK, but they kind of clumsily set up some new characters here like the Vulcan Admiral who seems to be corrupt and a Romulan operative that I guess is surgically altered to pass as human? They just gloss over that fact really fast and also that she's Narek's older sister.

I do find it interesting that it appears they are going to establish that the Romulans have been gradually taking Borg drones out of stasis over a long time and removing their implants. I think in that one surgery scene the one doctor says that the drone had been in stasis for 12 years. More interestingly, we see (and they reference) 'reclaimed' Borg drones working on the project. However, I have a feeling that they are being forced into doing the work and are basically slaves for the Romulans, but we'll see.

Someone else brought it up, but they also referenced the 'Romulan Free State'. I just wonder if that is going to be a splinter government from the Empire or the newer version of the Empire post-Romulus destruction. There's a modified Romulan logo on the cube that is no longer holding Romulus and Remus in its talons, so I'm wondering if that is the Free State or not.

What's also unclear to me is, who orchestrated the synth attack on Mars. I am doubtful that it's the super-secret Romulan group since they hate synths so much. It sure looks like something reprograms the synth before he starts to hack into the Utopia Planitia network to turn the weapons onto the planet. But the impression I'm getting from these Romulan operatives is that they don't want to use the synths for anything, just destroy them.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HD DAD posted:

I mean, in All Good Things mostly everyone aside from Data treated Picard a “whatever you say, weird old guy” attitude. Hell, Admiral Riker was actively hostile to him.

I do remember some of that. I haven't watch the episode in a while, but wasn't this because it his Irumodic syndrome was common knowledge to the others at this point and meant he might not be entirely lucid? So they took a bit of convincing, but still basically supported him when he pushed. That isn't a factor here since nobody knows about his illness, and it isn't manifesting any symptoms at all.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

FlamingLiberal posted:

What's also unclear to me is, who orchestrated the synth attack on Mars. I am doubtful that it's the super-secret Romulan group since they hate synths so much. It sure looks like something reprograms the synth before he starts to hack into the Utopia Planitia network to turn the weapons onto the planet. But the impression I'm getting from these Romulan operatives is that they don't want to use the synths for anything, just destroy them.

Hack a bunch of synths, destroy a bunch of synths, and turn the Federation and the rest of the quadrant against them, with strong sanctions prohibiting their creation? All as part of one big sneak attack? That sounds very much like they were responsible to me.

Also, the first episode of Picard is up on youtube, if you aren't on that All Access train and want to check it out. Was kind of surprised it wasn't put on there right away with the premiere, but I guess waiting a week makes sense too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do find it interesting that it appears they are going to establish that the Romulans have been gradually taking Borg drones out of stasis over a long time and removing their implants. I think in that one surgery scene the one doctor says that the drone had been in stasis for 12 years. More interestingly, we see (and they reference) 'reclaimed' Borg drones working on the project. However, I have a feeling that they are being forced into doing the work and are basically slaves for the Romulans, but we'll see.

I don't think they would be used as slaves. Aside from Narek being a super spy, all the Romulans seem to be cordial and accepting of all the federation types coming to work on the cube. The ones with weapons seem to just be security in case something bad happens. Some freed Borgs might be interested in helping out to free other Borgs still in staaaasis.

And the Tal Shiar or whoever wouldn't have to love synths in order to use them to attack Mars. When the synth shows up and starts killing people, he destroys himself once he's done. Two birds with one stone. Take out the Federation shipyards, and then also destroy a bunch of synths.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m skeptical that the original actor who played Maddox will appear at all. I checked and he’s been a professor for some time and retired from acting.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Are you forgetting that she's a starfleet admiral?

That is a trope I wouldn't mind going away.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don’t understand how it’s possible to cover up an explosion the size of the one we saw in the first episode. No one else saw that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m skeptical that the original actor who played Maddox will appear at all. I checked and he’s been a professor for some time and retired from acting.

What does he teach? Cybernetics? Would be cool if he could come back for this though.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

I said come in! posted:

reading people faun is perplexing.

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

Arglebargle III posted:

I gotta say, I have Netflix and I turned the new Picard episode off to go watch more Punisher. So far no puns.

I think I'm losing my mind. I haven't slept right all week. Today I lost my phone and found it in a suitcase in the closet.

Jesus Christ.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

OK.

Rather than forensically picking apart the show so that I can post them behind spoilers to make myself feel intelligent and learned to other nerds on an anonymous message board, or acting like a redheaded hipster called Tarquin in a Melbourne wine bar making vague and uneducated attempts to describe the smell and flavor of a red wine to women WAY out of his league in and attempt to pick up...I enjoyed this episode and I am looking forward to watching another next week.

I don't really have a horse is this race but watching Goons on this forum try and rip apart shows like a toddler rips apart a soft loaf of bread is very funny.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

I agree the pacing of these first 2 shows is off - going to guess this thing would watch a lot better as a binge. Course.. a lot of the episodic tv released onto streaming is having this issues (see: mandalorian).

Also um..

are we just not talking about how there is a STRONG possibility the Romulans are the 13th tribe or whatever the gently caress of the vulcans? Like they are all androids and this plot is straight up ripped off from BSG. like i have hope but all this has happened before and all this will happen again.

I also wonder if that submatrix collapse is essentially colony collapse syndrome - the Borg basically lost a cube due to voyager, hugh, or some combination thereof. I will say the idea of trying to save the "unamed' from 15 years or w/e of their imprisonment is very noble work for romulans.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sardikar posted:

OK.

Rather than forensically picking apart the show so that I can post them behind spoilers to make myself feel intelligent and learned to other nerds on an anonymous message board, or acting like a redheaded hipster called Tarquin in a Melbourne wine bar making vague and uneducated attempts to describe the smell and flavor of a red wine to women WAY out of his league in and attempt to pick up...I enjoyed this episode and I am looking forward to watching another next week.

I don't really have a horse is this race but watching Goons on this forum try and rip apart shows like a toddler rips apart a soft loaf of bread is very funny.

So your way of getting a little ego boost is to come in and pick apart the nerds who are picking apart the nerdy show. It's all the same game, their version doesn't rely on making someone else feel bad though.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean, you get that call to come in and act with P-Stew again, I gotta assume you accept that call. We already know from the press in advance that there's at least one somewhat deep cut TNG character in the show somewhere, I don't see why there wouldn't be another one. Some people just don't want to get back into acting though, and it's entirely possible they opted to just recast the role if he appears and didn't end up approaching him at all, I feel like that kind of thing can go all sorts of different ways.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Vaniljcola posted:

The food replicator just a 3d printer :D

Computer: Salisbury Steak; Hungry Man.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I personally prefer this episode to the last one and was relieved it was slow and talky. I mean gently caress have you seen Star Trek The Next Generation? The only parts I didn’t like were the scenes with dumb romulan conspirators and borg ship sex.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Vaniljcola posted:

The food replicator just a 3d printer :D

Yeah, and the lady's apartment is just stuffed with those counter top herb garden growing things you get on QVC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

the second episode was not good. the replicator downgrade is kind of strange too.