Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

And now Sex Crimes is quite a swerve by NBC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

PostNouveau posted:

No one can follow Kristen Bell's toast. It was like she had that in the chamber already.

I had to turn it off there. No way the rest of those toasts aren’t awkward as hell.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh god I just realized that tomorrow's podcast is going to be just as rough

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Klungar posted:

I had to turn it off there. No way the rest of those toasts aren’t awkward as hell.

they were actually really sweet

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Klungar posted:

The rest were generic "I love you it was great working with you"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well overall I still feel like the last episode was a better endpoint but I see why people would want more closure and I'm glad they got it here.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

WJH's toast to Manny was at least as good as Kirsten's but the rest were kind of whatever.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I liked the ending. My wife didn't, she is one for the fairy tale endings. Did they say how long a Bearimie was in years?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

joebuddah posted:

I liked the ending. My wife didn't, she is one for the fairy tale endings. Did they say how long a Bearimie was in years?

I believe 1 Bearimy is equal to all of time

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

"Take it sleazy" is almost as good a final line as Justified's.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/KristenBell/status/1223067101897936896

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I actually knew that the ending was the characters slowly going through the door... but the execution definitely shook me. Michael and Tahani's endings really took me by surprise, and Chidi leaving earlier than I assumed really hit me.

Chidi not having to wait on the bench is when the tears started.

Evil Mastermind posted:

But we do know. They become the little voice in your head that tells you to do good things
I think you're being a little too literal there.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
That was a great ending, and it came at the right time. A season earlier would have felt rushed, a season later and it would have been stuck spinning its wheels for so long that it wore out its welcome.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Despite my defense of the concept of the "everyone walks through the door" ending earlier this week, I admit I was a little worried early in the episode, around the time Jason was describing his sense of quietude, that the deaths would be too tied to the baggage of suicide. However, I think they walked a really fine line and made it work, especially with Chidi. It would be so easy to show it in a way that glorifies the decision, when it's actually painfully mundane and boring, because that's the whole problem, after all. You're still leaving people behind, of course. I suffer from depression, and while I don't really experience much in the way of suicidal ideation, that sickness still informs pretty much every moment of my life. The thing William Jackson Harper really captured in there is the crippling anhedonia, the "what now?", the feeling like you're just trapped in your own self with no recourse. It was intensely painful for me to watch Eleanor try to keep Chidi there because I've felt what he felt. And that really sells, for me, the pure, existential terror of eternity. When days already feel endless, how can the infinite be anything but a nightmare?

On that note, I think Tahani deciding to become an architect (and to a lesser extent, Eleanor convincing Mindy of the power of human connection) was actually incredibly necessary to make this work at all, because it shows that there are, in fact, other options, still ways to find purpose and joy. It's your decision to create your own world (one might even say that the world ends with you), to decide for yourself how to live. Ultimately, the metaphor works, one not of suicide being painless and easy (as the goodbyes show, there's always a victim), but of dying with dignity, of allowing those whose quality of life will only deteriorate to go out in a way and at a time they choose.

I've seen some people saying this show kind of lost the plot a bit this season, but I couldn't disagree more. I feel like, in the last two seasons, what this show is actually about has really crystallized. It's about inhuman systems, and how they turn into prisons that only harm those they're intended to serve. At first it was literal prison systems, now it's a system actually designed to reward that's turned into an oblique punishment. The Good Place architects weren't human, so they didn't understand human needs. And one human need is for an ending.

I'm really glad they didn't do a "reincarnation" thing on the other side of the door, either, because that would feel weird. These characters have explicitly had everything they could ever have wanted, and then some. What experience is left for them? Let them rest. These characters already metaphorically die when the show ends, this is just literalizing that. This episode was all about letting go of the hardest thing there is to let go of, yourself. They die, and maybe I feel a little better about the fact that someday, I will too.

This has been a beautiful show. Thank you, everyone.

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 31, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, this show is like, number one with a bullet in terms of humanist media for me

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm not crying, you're crying! :cry:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

edit: /\/\/\ lol :hfive:

I'M NOT UGLY CRYING YOU'RE UGLY CRYING

like for real that poo poo was really hard for people grieving from a loss my god

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TwoPair posted:

Well overall I still feel like the last episode was a better endpoint but I see why people would want more closure and I'm glad they got it here.

:same:

Finale was alright.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Arist posted:

Also, this show is like, number one with a bullet in terms of humanist media for me

yikes bro

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

The rest were generic "I love you it was great working with you"

That is exactly what I expected and why I did not bother to watch

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Rewatching before I get around the past few eps and I wanted to post that Jason having a tan line midway up his biceps when he rips the sleeves off his tux during his wedding to Janet was DEEPLY immersion breaking

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Take your theologian pissing contest attitude somewhere else? :shrug:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
When I first started this show with my girlfriend, I'd heard good things but I'd only really seen Ted Danson's stuff. I was getting frustrated with the show because it seemed like it was taking the premise and doing not much with it outside of some sitcom tropes, just ~in the afterlife~. I told her a few times to go on watching it without me, but she wouldn't. Then when I saw the look on Michael's face in that last episode of the first season... I was hooked. All those lovely tropes made sense now! If I hadn't stuck with it, I would have been so mad. Not a single wasted episode in the entire series. (Maybe the "clip show" memory episode.) I think I'm going to go read some philosophy books!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

joebuddah posted:

Well Michael Realman seemed to pop out in the current era. Not thousands of years in the future when everyone is a cyborg or whatever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'll rephrase that: recent humanist media.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Was there at least a background shot of Simone?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Was there at least a background shot of Simone?

She was in the scene with Eleanor's Arizona friends and Chidi's old best friend in the restaurant.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Arist posted:

She was in the scene with Eleanor's Arizona friends and Chidi's old best friend in the restaurant.

Ah ok, I didn't notice her.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Podcast is up. It's 99 minutes long.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe I'm dumb but why does Michael becoming human guarantee that no human will ever complain to the judge ever again? I thought the setup there was leading to Michael becoming the new judge or something.

Don't get me wrong, this is a better option in all ways, but that line tripped me up.

Propaniac posted:

That is exactly what I expected and why I did not bother to watch

I recommend watching WJH's toast for Manny's reaction. Individual toasts should be graded on their effect on the person being toasted and he was so clearly moved.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 31, 2020

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

So the real good place was the island tolkien's elves sailed to all along?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I just spent over an hour sobbing uncontrollably. I know this is just a weird internet "ha ha, somebody cared about a TV" thing, but I had all my cries beaten out of me as a kid and when they come, I am thankful and feel like maybe I actually am human.

I miss the people I've loved who are gone now. Schur knows how to make me cry.

Edit: that's not even what caused the tears, but I don't have it in me to talk about that at the moment.

Show ruled. Finale ruled.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It is within the realm of possibility that there was a slow trickle of tears from the moment Jason knew until Eleanor walked through. That was really good.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

flashy_mcflash posted:

Maybe I'm dumb but why does Michael becoming human guarantee that no human will ever complain to the judge ever again?

Michael got to transfer from lava demon to human because he saved every soul in existence. Anyone who wants to petition the judge for an exception would need to enact an equally insurmountable good deed.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

So, since we're all giving our opinions: My initial impression is very positive, and I think that was a lot better than I expected from the last episode. What seemed really jarring and fast last week felt like it had more time to breathe here, and 'the door' became more of a metaphor for death in the real world than it did for suicide. It helps that they really hammered home that going through the door was NOT about boredom, but about a sense of completeness. And they did lean on the "what we owe to each other" angle, and successfully turned it around by asking when we are being selfish with our needs. That's a neat trick. Also, it's pretty cool that they got NBC to spend the money to send them to Greece and Paris.

All in all, it ended about as well as it could have, which makes me happy, sad, and warm inside all at once. That's good TV.

Well, they're all dead now. What's the next TV thing?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

boo_radley posted:

Podcast is up. It's 99 minutes long.

And it's part one

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

BioThermo posted:

Michael got to transfer from lava demon to human because he saved every soul in existence. Anyone who wants to petition the judge for an exception would need to enact an equally insurmountable good deed.

Hey, show the fire squid some respect.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I just spent over an hour sobbing uncontrollably. I know this is just a weird internet "ha ha, somebody cared about a TV" thing, but I had all my cries beaten out of me as a kid and when they come, I am thankful and feel like maybe I actually am human.

I miss the people I've loved who are gone now. Schur knows how to make me cry.

Edit: that's not even what caused the tears, but I don't have it in me to talk about that at the moment.

Show ruled. Finale ruled.

it's ok, that was really hard for me to watch too, and I was seriously sobbing :glomp:

I think anyone who has experienced loss and especially spousal loss is having a really bad night (regardless of that being a good episode)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ashpanash posted:

What seemed really jarring and fast last week felt like it had more time to breathe here, and 'the door' became more of a metaphor for death in the real world than it did for suicide.

Yeah I think the start through Chidi leaving was a real artistic achievement.

I do not love the suicide door or the insipid insistence that death gives life meaning, but I can see why they used these devices to set up what they wanted to say in the first half.