Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Some of the changes are so nonsensical. What is the point in moving Uther's "What!?" to being after Arthas orders the city purged instead of having it be a response to the people turning into undead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arthas needs to be a strict villain since he was never redeemed but Blizzard doesn’t understand that having a reason for genocide doesn’t exonerate you from committing genocide. Moving the line up removes the reason from their conversation.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

jokes posted:

Arthas needs to be a strict villain since he was never redeemed but Blizzard doesn’t understand that having a reason for genocide doesn’t exonerate you from committing genocide. Moving the line up removes the reason from their conversation.

lmao the entire excuse for not reforging the cutscenes is that people didn't want the story to be retconned, but they retconned arthas into being a less interesting character anyway

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

Some of the changes are so nonsensical. What is the point in moving Uther's "What!?" to being after Arthas orders the city purged instead of having it be a response to the people turning into undead?

I do agree with you on this one. Uther completely ignores the bit about the citizens becoming undead. The only other change I've seen that I can remember disliking was the whole Grom/Hellscream audio splicing thing, but I'm willing to bet there's some legal bullshit behind it that's rendered them not allowed to call him "Grom". Doesn't excuse the bad job they did with the splice. It's one of those areas where not being able to re-record the audio really hurt.

But little details like the captains getting named, those Syndicate bandits in the first level, that nod to Loken in the Frostmourne level, the two bosses from the WoW Culling instance showing up as minibosses in Stratholme, basically all the changes to the Fall of Silvermoon, giving Antonidas something resembling a boss fight to show that hey, this guy is the leader of the city of Wizards for a reason. I like stuff like this.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm pretty sure there is nothing legally stopping them from having a character named Grom.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I have to be honest, even with as bad as a lot of this is... I just don't believe they would go to the trouble of splicing the audio like that if they didn't have to. Especially if they ended up doing that poor a job of it. Switching the order two audio files play in is one thing. But actually going to the trouble of splicing the word "Hellscream" over every single instance of the name "Grom" being spoken throughout the game? I just don't believe it. Something forced them to do it, and I don't mean their plot guys going "HE'S GROMMASH NOW, CALLING HIM GROM IS A SIN, CHANGE IT"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BlazetheInferno posted:

I have to be honest, even with as bad as a lot of this is... I just don't believe they would go to the trouble of splicing the audio like that if they didn't have to. Especially if they ended up doing that poor a job of it. Switching the order two audio files play in is one thing. But actually going to the trouble of splicing the word "Hellscream" over every single instance of the name "Grom" being spoken throughout the game? I just don't believe it. Something forced them to do it, and I don't mean their plot guys going "HE'S GROMMASH NOW, CALLING HIM GROM IS A SIN, CHANGE IT"

They also went to the effort of figuring out how to make Arthas a less interesting character without recording new dialogue, I can 100% believe they'd do that.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

why is his portrait missing his sweet sideburns

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BlazetheInferno posted:

It's one of those areas where not being able to re-record the audio really hurt.

They were able to re-record the audio. They chose to gently caress around with the existing audio for ten minutes instead.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

BlazetheInferno posted:

The only other change I've seen that I can remember disliking was the whole Grom/Hellscream audio splicing thing, but I'm willing to bet there's some legal bullshit behind it that's rendered them not allowed to call him "Grom". Doesn't excuse the bad job they did with the splice. It's one of those areas where not being able to re-record the audio really hurt.

Same reason they couldnt say Grom in that one wow expansion. Honda trademarked the name (it's a motorcycle) out from under Blizzard and Blizzard can't do poo poo

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm pretty sure there is nothing legally stopping them from having a character named Grom.

HellScream?!

But yeah. Memory serving Blizzard COULD use the name "Grom"... But they can't trademark it and that's all the suits and money men care about.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

After seeing a snippet of the new terms and service that came out with reforged, I would love to see them trying to enforce the part where the customer waves away all their rights and morality, and if your law protects you, you wave your rights to this law and supersede those laws.

Australia has such law and a little extra that says this law can not be overwritten by anything that is not AU law

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
loving lol. In the undead campaign first level you're supposed to kill off the townsfolk before they alert guards, but of course one of the civilians is a child and they are now invulnerable. It only alerts one knight and one footsman so you can kill them and continue, but still thats just stupid.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

DeadlyHalibut posted:

loving lol. In the undead campaign first level you're supposed to kill off the townsfolk before they alert guards, but of course one of the civilians is a child and they are now invulnerable. It only alerts one knight and one footsman so you can kill them and continue, but still thats just stupid.

Worth noting: You can also simply leave the area. The alerted guards don't chase you automatically - they merely run to where your units were sighted by the civilians, linger for a little bit, then go back to their post. If you're gone by the time they arrive, you never even have to fight them.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Stevefin posted:

After seeing a snippet of the new terms and service that came out with reforged, I would love to see them trying to enforce the part where the customer waves away all their rights and morality, and if your law protects you, you wave your rights to this law and supersede those laws.

Australia has such law and a little extra that says this law can not be overwritten by anything that is not AU law

How the hell do even "waive your morality"?

Do they expect people to denounce their deity or something? So to play Warcraft 3 Reforge's custom maps you have to renounce Jesus and all his works?

Welp, Hail Kotick I guess.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RagnarokZ posted:

How the hell do even "waive your morality"?

Do they expect people to denounce their deity or something? So to play Warcraft 3 Reforge's custom maps you have to renounce Jesus and all his works?

Welp, Hail Kotick I guess.
Not your morality, your moral rights to your mod.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
wow, the new silvermoon map is ugly. now i'm wondering if it was blizzard getting a ton of bad/ugly stuff and deciding that this was better than releasing the stuff they got - like, it feels like something you'd get in someone's custom campaign. it's got all these wide spaces of just flat terrain all over the place. it's nice that sylvanas got a new model for when she's a banshee, but...

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
i don't think it's possible to stress how bad the new silvermoon map is. honest to god, it's like it was designed by someone who had never made a warcraft 3 map before. the terrain is so flat and there's not many doodads or whatever. there's expanses of the map you just can't get to. they've included two new high elf characters - the king and someone else - and they have NO LINES. they just teleport in and you fight them then they teleport away and you fight them again later and they don't say ANYTHING.

edit: omfg the cutscene where he freezes the river

edit 2: like, this is a map they felt they should KEEP IN. and it's worse than the original! we're lucky they didn't reforge warcraft 3, it'd be WORSE. you can literally see the difference in quality by just comparing the minimaps.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 31, 2020

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

oh also another fun thing about silvermoon

if you skip the intro cutscene, the enemy AI breaks and sylvanas never shows up to attack your poo poo + the elves never send runners

which means you never actually get access to gargs

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
dalaran is exactly the same - it's all so flat!

it's quite literally a rookie worldedit mistake. a key part of making an interesting looking map is not just using the level to raise or lower terrain by set levels, but to then give it gradients and rolling hills and so on. but this and silvermoon, they literally just keep it flat and raise or lower the terrain a level or two. it looks blocky and fake. and there's no detail, it's so loving sparse.

gently caress it, i'll grab some screenshots to demonstrate. i'll hop around the map to three random locations:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

I'm more horrified by the War Golem, tbh. Wtf is that head supposed to be? A dwarf turned to stone?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

What happened to that poor Health Stone?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eeepies posted:

I'm more horrified by the War Golem, tbh. Wtf is that head supposed to be? A dwarf turned to stone?

gonna get on my lore nerd stage and tell you that dwarves used to be stone constructs so the war golem isn't "a dwarf turned to stone" but dwarves were probably the war golem before suffering from the curse of the flesh gosh do you people even know warcraft

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

also i tried some custom games

1) wew lag
2) so many of these require absolutely arcane levels of knowledge for THAT SPECIFIC GAME and if you don't have it down pat you'll either die immediately or get relentlessly shittalked by people who do

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
i was wondering if i'd be able to do some comparison shots, but couldn't seem to find any versions of the old maps that'd actually load in reforged

but turns out someone made a site that allows you to view the maps as if they're in world edit

silvermoon: https://wc3.rivsoft.net/2463a5a061c631ed/map

dalaran: https://wc3.rivsoft.net/e2b177f2fd17b917/map

new, just south of the gate to dalaran

old, approximate match

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 31, 2020

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Kith posted:

1) wew lag
2) so many of these require absolutely arcane levels of knowledge for THAT SPECIFIC GAME and if you don't have it down pat you'll either die immediately or get relentlessly shittalked by people who do

Is dota1 on wcr yet?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

dr.acula posted:

Is dota1 on wcr yet?

Ironically, it's all trademarked and copyrighted by Valve now so the new rules would prevent it from ever being legally released on WC3R without valve's permission.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

dr.acula posted:

Is dota1 on wcr yet?

It never left, but due to the new TOS it could get taken down due to its uncanny resemblance to DotA 2, a Valve Product.

Horizon Burning posted:

i was wondering if i'd be able to do some comparison shots, but couldn't seem to find any versions of the old maps that'd actually load in reforged

but turns out someone made a site that allows you to view the maps as if they're in world edit

Silvermoon's overall layout isn't that different once you account for completely rotating the map. Speaking of Silvermoon, I just got to the part where you pick up Sylvanas, and... like, sure, okay. It's real cool that she's a hero unit now. But that skillset is loving garbage. If you're going to make a custom hero with copy/pasted abilities, either hide it well (see: Garithos, any of the Dreadlords) or make custom icons for it so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Kith posted:

1) wew lag

feels like home :unsmith:

Only thing that’s missing is getting screamed at because you’re downloading the map in lobby and then getting kicked, good times

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Okay I played a few games of Footman Frenzy and it was basically like summer of 2003 all over again for me so I am pleased for now

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm so glad I didn't preorder this.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I've been playing through the campaign and some 1v1 multiplayer and I noticed a couple things that the terrible reviews haven't mentioned

1) They launched this game with no ranked matchmaking lol. I'm either getting busted by a blademaster in the first 60 seconds or I'm building my 2nd expansion while an announcement pops up that my opponent's level 1 hero has died to creeps

2) If you use cheats in the campaign you can still unlock all of the portraits

zug zug

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I've been playing through the campaign and some 1v1 multiplayer and I noticed a couple things that the terrible reviews haven't mentioned

1) They launched this game with no ranked matchmaking lol. I'm either getting busted by a blademaster in the first 60 seconds or I'm building my 2nd expansion while an announcement pops up that my opponent's level 1 hero has died to creeps

2) If you use cheats in the campaign you can still unlock all of the portraits

zug zug

yea the lack of ranked mm is insane considering the playerbase currently consists of blizzard fans completely new to the game and people who have been playing for 20 years straight

no way am i buying this but i decided to fire my original version up to take advantage of the large playerbase. you need 30+ gigs of storage just to play with the original graphics and the menus look like this

they also took out the progress bar for other players during the loading screen, so now you have zero warning when the game is about to start

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I didn’t buy the remaster, and I never got into multiplayer, but the siren’s song of unlockable portraits and checklists has gotten me to revisit the campaign. I completed a few human missions and the tutorial so far, but the checklist on the collection screen isn’t showing those specific missions like it does for the achievements in other Blizzard games. Is this intentional? I also don’t seem to have the three demo missions, which are required for one of the portraits, that IIRC were in the custom campaign tab? Nothing is in there now.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I didn’t buy the remaster, and I never got into multiplayer, but the siren’s song of unlockable portraits and checklists has gotten me to revisit the campaign. I completed a few human missions and the tutorial so far, but the checklist on the collection screen isn’t showing those specific missions like it does for the achievements in other Blizzard games. Is this intentional? I also don’t seem to have the three demo missions, which are required for one of the portraits, that IIRC were in the custom campaign tab? Nothing is in there now.

If I understand what you're asking the checks work in reforged

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

If I understand what you're asking the checks work in reforged

Yep, everything is still grey on my end.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

It's just like phones. If you want up to date features and support for things to run properly you need the new model/update for extra money!

-Bobby Kotick 2020

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

So my original profiles and stats are just...gone now? Forever?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

novaSphere posted:

So my original profiles and stats are just...gone now? Forever?
They'll likely fix migration. You can link your wc3 account through some thing. It just currently does nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stevefin posted:

IIRC it's mostly to scare people because you can't legally sign away your rights with an EULA in any country. Could be wrong though.

Also kind of funny: Having a TFT but no RoC key assigned to my account is what means I suddenly can't play War3 anymore. I don't have my old War3 cd case anymore so I suddenly can't play it without buying it again.

little munchkin posted:

yea the lack of ranked mm is insane considering the playerbase currently consists of blizzard fans completely new to the game and people who have been playing for 20 years straight

no way am i buying this but i decided to fire my original version up to take advantage of the large playerbase. you need 30+ gigs of storage just to play with the original graphics and the menus look like this

they also took out the progress bar for other players during the loading screen, so now you have zero warning when the game is about to start

yeah lol needing 34 gigs or whatever for war3 classic is amazing.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 31, 2020