Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

Esty's ticket equipment looks so good but they seem like a trap... But that equipment that makes all the dudes really fast is quite tempting.

they're not a trap. The real trap is hoarding your tickets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wish the old Atelier games that still had time limits would update the character appearances for the child/teen characters at least yearly. I'm just reminded because the CGs are usually pretty good about it and you get peeks at older-looking Ayesha or Meruru but the character model still shows them at their youngest

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Dehry posted:

Arland DX Play Asia Physical:

32GB Switch Cartridge
All 3 games are on one cartridge. No downloads
Game is region coded to Asia. You cannot claim gold coins from the Eshop

Where did you see this? Official blogs, Twitter, and searching are all returning nothing. I was holding out buying Arland DX for this exact thing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ryza only needs a little bit more to become the top selling Atelier of all time

The surprising thing to me about this article is that Sophie is the current record holder. I expected it to be Rorona.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
that actually surprises me too since at least L&S outsold Sophie over its lifetime as well or so I thought

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Given how cheap Sophie is that makes sense to me.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sophie being first to PC and the cheapest one on PC probably what put it over

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sophie is also the reigning most popular protagonist I think, unless there's been a new poll I missed. Ryza will likely unseat her once she's added, though.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

sophie also had the most hits by far on pixiv for any atelier protagonist until ryza was announced (and overtook her like instantly), for reference

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Y'all are making me want to buy Ryza for when I finish the Dusk trilogy instead of going to Arland like I planned

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Putting your heroine in hotpants is a good way to drum up interest.

I like Sophie in Sophie but less so in following appearances because how one-note character events become for everyone after a while. It just stretches the material way too thin for all the characters and I'd prefer less call backs and returnees for the series in general.

Sophie being the number one seller doesn't surprise me since it was the first pc release and is not laden with 100+ bucks of nickel and dime dlc practices. You can just buy the entire game for a reasonable amount and you can't say that from Firis onward.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 28, 2020

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of sophie's 1st place ranking in the 2018 popularity poll stems from her being the only protagonist to actually meaningfully appear and play a role in all three games in her trilogy

and she's a pretty great character in L&S not just because her character arc finally comes to a close when she turns plachta human and they tie the knot, but she gets to be a reliable supportive adult for the twin protagonists with a deadbeat dad

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rorona does too but uh her role isn't good in Meruru

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I intentionally didn’t count 8 year Rorona

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tempura Wizard posted:

Where did you see this? Official blogs, Twitter, and searching are all returning nothing. I was holding out buying Arland DX for this exact thing.

Aw crap. I meant Dusk DX. Arland isn't happening. I caved and bought a copy after people noticed there wasn't a download.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
drat, Klaudaddy sells recipe books? I had no idea. I had been waiting for half the game to discover more than two accessories.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
wasn't sophie in like three or four games though

fair assumption that she gets top shelf

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gamerofthegame posted:

wasn't sophie in like three or four games though

fair assumption that she gets top shelf

Because of the structure of the series, most popular characters have appeared in at least two games. Rorona and Sterk have the record for non-spinoff appearances, at four each. Sophie is at three, in a big tie.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... Atelier Pamiela when?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

cheetah7071 posted:

Because of the structure of the series, most popular characters have appeared in at least two games. Rorona and Sterk have the record for non-spinoff appearances, at four each. Sophie is at three, in a big tie.

Other than Pamela maybe.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Where's the Hagel stans?!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not happy about this final boss in Ryza

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

im so glad to be back to more traditional atelier combat for ayesha and eschatology (even if the penultimate mandatory boss kicked my rear end sideways like ten times before i actually finished the job)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I think the biggest thing Ryza needed was a shared inventory pool. I get that they wanted Ryza to carry more items than Lent because she's an alchemist but it's just not necessary, and "who has the lightning bomb" is just another thing to remember. The dex mechanic is really clever and I hope it comes back in future games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hate it cos I'm like 'time to improve my items!', oh wait Lila can no longer hold this cup because it's too good.

I'll be honest I don't enjoy Ryza's combat a lot because most of the systems seem designed to restrict alchemy from being too good instead of being designed to be fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So far I've only played a few hours of Ayesha and it's pretty cool, but also the opening song in Escha & Logy whips rear end

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Harrow posted:

So far I've only played a few hours of Ayesha and it's pretty cool, but also the opening song in Escha & Logy whips rear end

The ending song is by the same band, and it rules!
I love their latest album, too

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Harrow posted:

It’s actually the OP of Escha & Logy I think that made me really take a look at the series (though I had played Annie and Mana Khemia)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Finished Ryza finally. It's a decent game but I don't think I could bring myself to do any aftergame stuff. Crafting got kinda annoying for me as I got towards the end as well - I wish it was easier to auto craft without it using items that might be rare or precious. Just choosing "low quality" doesn't always mean that it'll work!
The quests you get from the townsfolk feel like they kinda...end as well, I think that it'd mean more to me if I knew who Pamela was maybe? I get that she's from other games but I've not played them so she was lost on me a bit.

I can't get over how weird the lady alchemist is, the one who uses claws. Why does she look like that?!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm about halfway through Ryza and only just realised that quality and traits determine how many elemental points an item has. I thought it was gonna be a circle. Oh well.

Really enjoying the fast travel, it's very snappy and makes it so easy to go get more stuff.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Taear posted:

Finished Ryza finally. It's a decent game but I don't think I could bring myself to do any aftergame stuff. Crafting got kinda annoying for me as I got towards the end as well - I wish it was easier to auto craft without it using items that might be rare or precious. Just choosing "low quality" doesn't always mean that it'll work!
The quests you get from the townsfolk feel like they kinda...end as well, I think that it'd mean more to me if I knew who Pamela was maybe? I get that she's from other games but I've not played them so she was lost on me a bit.

I can't get over how weird the lady alchemist is, the one who uses claws. Why does she look like that?!

pamela is your post-game quest provider, so she does... slightly more after but still basically nothing

and lila is an alien-ish so it's fine

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gamerofthegame posted:

pamela is your post-game quest provider, so she does... slightly more after but still basically nothing

and lila is an alien-ish so it's fine

I mean it's not fine. I'm talking about her insane chest - the other one of her species hasn't got it!
It's proper creepy generally.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Taear posted:

Why does she look like that?!

because Gust is horny op

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One of the trophies in Ryza seems to be bugged and the rest require more grinding than I can be bothered with, so rip getting the platinum trophy in one of the few Atelier games that doesn't require following a guide or multiple playthroughs.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I'm about to put a bow on L&S and wanted to mess around with the older games a bit but the menu lag in Rorona pc is soooo bad. There's about two full seconds between hitting the menu button and it opening and this is a game where you will go into to menus constantly and I think dealing with this would drive me crazy.

I can't wrap my head around how low effort koei-temco ports are, like I'm pretty sure they literally frankenstein ports to include the worst combination of 2d/3d assets available. They don't even bother to offer even the most minor and basic of graphical options.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've never heard that complaint before. Doesn't mean it's not real, but maybe try updating your drivers or something?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I found a mod that reduces the menu lag a good bit. Here it is on the off chance this forum is still operational a year from now and someone uses the broken search engine looking for a fix for atelier rorona pc menu lag.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Getting back used to the old-style item crafting is hard since I really like the mysterious series crafting and spent a lot of time on it. The return of a good time limit is nice and keeps the game moving at a solid pace. I didn't plan on doing a full playthrough of this, just wanted to check out the port quality but once I got the menu lag toned down I ended playing for three hours straight and will likely play through the entire game at this point.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i actually watched the eschatology anime adaptation like two years ago and now that i'm actually playing the game i get to see where the anime took its liberties with the source material (e.g., escha not already knowing nio and wilbell, wilbell tagging along with escha and logy to confront the fire spirit at first, etc etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Not happy about this final boss in Ryza

Most games are like a class that has pop quizzes and homework every week, to make sure you’re keeping up with the material...

Atelier Ryza has a midterm and a final.

Actually L&S was like that too. Do the older games have that structure as well, with major, serious boss fights at the middle and the end of the game, which are much harder than everything else?

e: At least the transformation looks sweet.