Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

fr3lm0 posted:

Tap the person’s name in the chats list. That usually fixes it for me.

this one works. thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I just picked up a first gen iPad because I wanted a bedtime comic + ebook reader and it was super cheap. This model has my favorite hardware design (I'll take chunky form factors and fat bezels every time), so even if it was DOA I'd have a nice paperweight. Thankfully it works and has surprisingly good battery life.

I knew it would be locked to iOS 5.11. What I didn't know is that the App Store doesn't retain old versions of every app, so I can't install iBooks or Kindle, even using this trick. Does anyone happen to know a good basic epub/mobi reader with a 5.11 version?

Thankfully my good old Comic Zeal was still available so I'm good on that front.

EDIT: That question would have been better off in the iOS apps thread. Please forgive me and my idiot brain.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 15, 2020

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I just picked up a first gen iPad because I wanted a bedtime comic + ebook reader and it was super cheap. This model has my favorite hardware design (I'll take chunky form factors and fat bezels every time), so even if it was DOA I'd have a nice paperweight. Thankfully it works and has surprisingly good battery life.

I knew it would be locked to iOS 5.11. What I didn't know is that the App Store doesn't retain old versions of every app, so I can't install iBooks or Kindle, even using this trick. Does anyone happen to know a good basic epub/mobi reader with a 5.11 version?

Thankfully my good old Comic Zeal was still available so I'm good on that front.

EDIT: That question would have been better off in the iOS apps thread. Please forgive me and my idiot brain.

I can't imagine using that hardware and display for reading anymore

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

sourdough posted:

I can't imagine using that hardware and display for reading anymore
It still looks sharp. Text is perfectly legible in every comic I've read, even in portrait mode without zooming in. Pages turn instantly. I wouldn't want to do much beyond reading and retinas are obviously higher resolution, but there's nothing wrong with this.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

It still looks sharp. Text is perfectly legible in every comic I've read, even in portrait mode without zooming in. Pages turn instantly. I wouldn't want to do much beyond reading and retinas are obviously higher resolution, but there's nothing wrong with this.

I mean... It's heavy, has a gap between the screen and digitizer, and low res... You could do an iPad 4 for maybe $90 and it would be sooooo much nicer and still have huge bezels. But yeah, you do you.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Hey, the device would be in a landfill otherwise so good for him.

Still, if you like a lovely screen at least look for a iPad 2 for $10 more and get an extra CPU core.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hey, the device would be in a landfill otherwise so good for him.

Still, if you like a lovely screen at least look for a iPad 2 for $10 more and get an extra CPU core.

Yeah, if you're ok with it, more power to you, didn't mean to suggest otherwise :cheers: I'm an idiot that upgrades stuff every year or two for no reason

sourdough fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 16, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Adding my :psyduck: to the Retina display vs mk1 display conversation. They only introduced it on the iPad in like 2012, so cost shouldn’t be the deciding factor.

Getting a Mk1 iPad is really cool tho. I wish I’d held onto/gotten specimens of various gadgets with historic/design/personal attachment.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Considering that I think a lot of iOS devs target recent OS versions (maybe 10-13 these days) and even facebook has a minimum requirement of iOS 9, I can’t even imagine what it’s like trying to use an app with iOS 5 these days.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Kinda want to grab an ipad 1 now

You could gently caress someone up with one of those

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

My work gave me an iPad 1 that was somehow a demo unit too, it said so on the back? I gave it back a couple years ago because it wouldn't boot or do anything and.. it wasn't mine, but it had been with me since 2011. Read a bunch of ebooks on that at lonely awful work trip hotel stays. RIP little(lol) guy.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
IOS6 is being signed for iPad2 so you can downgrade without loving around. It's so fast.

(But then you realise how much even 6 is missing compared to modern versions and it's really hard to get apps.)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Imagine being a user as Apple slooooooowly plod their way toward making the iPad software/OS fulfill the promise of their original pitch for a tablet and then being like “nah actually I wanna go back to 2011”

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

To be clear, I picked up the iPad on a whim because it was $20 and I always liked the hardware design. Same reason I own old consoles that could easily be emulated. It's a novelty, and I was surprised that for the very specific purpose of reading it held up better than I thought it would.

I wasn't trying to imply that it's somehow better than newer models or that I bought this out of desperation.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 16, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

To be clear, I picked up the iPad on a whim because it was $20 and I always liked the hardware design. Same reason I own old consoles that could easily be emulated. It's a novelty, and I was surprised that for the very specific purpose of reading it held up better than I thought it would.

I wasn't trying to imply that it's somehow better than newer models or that I bought this out of desperation.

Fair enough. $20 is absolutely worth it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
$20 and a decent battery? poo poo yeah.

It’s probably psychosomatic, but I can’t even look at a non-Retina screen without getting a headache. It’s too dim and slightly blurry. The aspect ratio seems a little off too, like everything is just a little squished.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
If that’s your hobby $20 for one that happens to have a good screen and battery does seem pretty solid.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
A full glass of water was spilled on my Wife’s 2017 12.9” iPadPro. It no longer powers on. Are the rumors true that a new iPad Pro will be released in March? I don’t want to pay for a repair or buy her a new Pro if new hardware will be out in just 60 days.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Krispy Wafer posted:

It’s probably psychosomatic, but I can’t even look at a non-Retina screen without getting a headache. It’s too dim and slightly blurry. The aspect ratio seems a little off too, like everything is just a little squished.

Yeah that's gonna be mostly in your head.

Crayvex posted:

A full glass of water was spilled on my Wife’s 2017 12.9” iPadPro. It no longer powers on. Are the rumors true that a new iPad Pro will be released in March? I don’t want to pay for a repair or buy her a new Pro if new hardware will be out in just 60 days.

Ahhh that sucks.

Nobody here can know if that 'news' is real but it seems like a good move for apple. Relatedly if your ipad stays dead I have a 2017 iPP that I broke the digitizer on and might be interested in getting one to cannibalize.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

mediaphage posted:

Yeah that's gonna be mostly in your head.

Ahhh that sucks.

Nobody here can know if that 'news' is real but it seems like a good move for apple. Relatedly if your ipad stays dead I have a 2017 iPP that I broke the digitizer on and might be interested in getting one to cannibalize.

It’s been 36 hours since it got wet. It isn’t powering on. I assume it is dead forever. I’d ship it to you but I reside in Switzerland. I’m not sure what international shipping for an Apple brick costs...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Crayvex posted:

It’s been 36 hours since it got wet. It isn’t powering on. I assume it is dead forever. I’d ship it to you but I reside in Switzerland. I’m not sure what international shipping for an Apple brick costs...

Oh fair point there haha.

It probably is dead. Let it stay powered off a week and try again tho on the off chance....

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Crayvex posted:

Stick it in rice for like a week. It sounds weird, but it worked on an iPhone 5 that took a pool swim and wouldn’t turn on at all for days. Thing trucked on for another two years after that until it was retired for a newer phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Stick it in rice for like a week. It sounds weird, but it worked on an iPhone 5 that took a pool swim and wouldn’t turn on at all for days. Thing trucked on for another two years after that until it was retired for a newer phone.

Eh, rice is more old wives tale vs actually effectively works.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Eh, rice is more old wives tale vs actually effectively works.

Ok, stick it in a Tupperware full of silica packets. Or kitty litter (put the iPad in an old pillow case to keep it from getting litter dust).

At this point OP can either try whatever they can to dry it out or not. The likelier answer is that it’s dead-dead but there’s always a chance.

If there are spots where water got into the device (button seams, speaker holes, etc) try to orient the device in such a way where the water is encouraged to slowly exit the chassis rather than make its way deeper into the guts.

I would also probably wait a few days before trying to charge or power it on. I know cases of people who got their device to miraculously power on after a week of drying and prayer only to have it short out and die permanently due to residual water.

I’m not sure how the iPad Pro does diy screen removal/replacement, but getting inside would be ideal.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ok, stick it in a Tupperware full of silica packets. Or kitty litter (put the iPad in an old pillow case to keep it from getting litter dust).

At this point OP can either try whatever they can to dry it out or not. The likelier answer is that it’s dead-dead but there’s always a chance.

If there are spots where water got into the device (button seams, speaker holes, etc) try to orient the device in such a way where the water is encouraged to slowly exit the chassis rather than make its way deeper into the guts.

I would also probably wait a few days before trying to charge or power it on. I know cases of people who got their device to miraculously power on after a week of drying and prayer only to have it short out and die permanently due to residual water.

I’m not sure how the iPad Pro does diy screen removal/replacement, but getting inside would be ideal.

There’s nothing to lose at this point so I’m just going to let it sit for another week and see what happens.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I thought the newer ones were water resistant? A glass of water seems like weak sauce to kill one, I’ve showered with my old iPad Pro*

* It was very sexy thank you

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Well, it looks like the water got behind the home button. There were calcium stains from dried water all over it. One of the cats knocked over a full glass of water on our coffee table where my wife had left her iPad. It soaked in that water all night before we saw it the next morning.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Crayvex posted:

Well, it looks like the water got behind the home button. There were calcium stains from dried water all over it. One of the cats knocked over a full glass of water on our coffee table where my wife had left her iPad. It soaked in that water all night before we saw it the next morning.

That was 100% intentional, she obviously pays more attention to the iPad than the cat.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

withak posted:

That was 100% intentional, she obviously pays more attention to the iPad than the cat.

Well, the cat we suspected that did it is very jealous. It’s hard to hold a 12.9” iPad while a very large fat cat is on your lap.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Alarms stopped making noise on my first-gen iPad Air, then things were fine for a while after I upgraded to the latest one. Now it too just silently displays the snooze button screen. :psyduck:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Just jumped from first gen iPad Air to a brand new iPad 7. I want a case like my old smart case - which is to say, covers the entire pad, and also does the sleep/wake thing when I open it if possible - but Apple doesn't appear to make those anymore, just "smart covers". What's the best third party one? Thanks in advance.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Just jumped from first gen iPad Air to a brand new iPad 7. I want a case like my old smart case - which is to say, covers the entire pad, and also does the sleep/wake thing when I open it if possible - but Apple doesn't appear to make those anymore, just "smart covers". What's the best third party one? Thanks in advance.

The Moku brand you can get on Amazon have always worked well for me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does the Apple Pencil 2 to not come with any extra tips or did I accidentally throw it away?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It does not.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How well does the official iPad Pro keyboards hold up? I’m always worried about the hinge cause it doesn’t look reinforced at all but I don’t know if I’m just being overly cautious.

E: To clarify I have one. I’m just worried about the hinge snapping or something.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 31, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mine has been rock solid almost going on two years, mechanically. It's also my favourite keyboard to use on any of my Apple devices. Feels great IMO.

What I will say is that the smooth material they use to cover mine has been very prone to .. not bubbling, per se, but stretching and warping a little, leading to what looks like tiny surface ripples. Both me and a colleague at work have the same issue on ours so I can't tell if this is representative of the whole line or just two randomly bad units. It's just cosmetic, but somewhat disappointing for a $150-ish (CDN) part.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

How well does the official iPad Pro keyboards hold up? I’m always worried about the hinge cause it doesn’t look reinforced at all but I don’t know if I’m just being overly cautious.

I’ve heard they’ve gotten better but mine lasted about a year with light use and I know more than one person who’s had several replacements - and it’s not someone who is hard wearing on their electronics. I don’t trust them.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Just ordered a 12.9 2018 pro, it will travel between my house and office in a rucksack, mainly being used on the train to and from work. Can someone reconmend me a nice third party case for it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Guess who forgot they removed the headphone jack from the new iPad Pro

🙋🏻‍♂️

Thankfully I can pair these headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
So the 256g iPad Air is currently $579 and $599 for the WiFI and LTE versions respectively on B&H. That's a really good deal, right? Especially for the LTE version?